What's with all of the road rage lately?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

What's with all of the road rage lately?

In the past couple of weeks, I can think of 3 or 4 road rage incidents that have made the headlines and it disturbs me that a lot of them have ended with stabbings, shootings, and vehicles flipped off of the road.  I am aware that road rage has always existed but it seems like it has escalated lately....or is this just a simple case of more media coverage?

I have a friend at work whose husband is nutso behind the wheel.  She tells me that she's never seen anything like it before, he starts driving and is instantly "worked up", even when there is nothing happening.  I have met this man and he is perfectly friendly and reasonable when he's not driving.

I've always found driving to be relaxing.  I get some personal time alone, I can listen to whatever music I want, etc.  If I have a person with me, I view that as a nice opportunity to really sit and talk (which no one seems to want to do anymore).  Of course, I have occasionally beeped and (I hate admitting this) even given the finger but I can't say that I've ever had any scenarios that have gotten to the point where people are getting out of their cars and taking it to that next level.

I honestly have no clue what causes road rage.  All I know is that people are ending up in the hospital and/or dying because a lot of drivers can't keep their cool and that really scares me.  Does anyone out there know someone who is really angry behind the wheel?  What sets them off?  Is there any way to help someone change their behavior?  Anger management?

I'm open to theories.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What's with all of the road rage lately?

I've heard it's an anxiety disorder like OCD, anorexia, hoarding, and other inexplicable behaviors.  I think our society is so stressed out as a whole that anxiety is manifesting in many, well, pardon the word, nutty ways.   That's why it's inexplicable in rational terms - anxiety disorders are, by their nature, irrational.

I also find driving relaxing even in the city at rush hour.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I rarely stress in the car. I have a huge pet peeve about sitting in traffic that is not moving..and am not above getting off the highway altogether and taking back roads just to keep moving.  I generally crank up the radio and don't concern myself with too much. I think these road rage incidents come in spurts..seems like we hear about a few then it goes away for a while.

Whatdoyouwantnow...I have a strategy for dealing with tailgaters that wouldn't work for you in the high speed lane..but works very well for me in the city. If someone is tailgating me..I slow down..and keep slowing down until they back off. After they get done shaking their head..gesturing and I am sure calling me every name under the sun, they eventually get the hint and back off. Then, I resume normal speed..works like a charm every time and the way I look at it..I'm protecting them as well as myself. After all...if I stop short at a higher rate of speed, they are for sure going to hit me at a higher rate of speed...lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I have noticed it as well.  Always seems to be someone behind me that needs to get around me, tailgate me, even when I am in the right lane.

I have noticed it getting worse.  Perhaps there are some of us who are driving closer to the speed limit in an effort to save gas, which exacerbates the situation.  I no longer try to keep up with the speed of those around me.  I drive a reasonable speed, and people seem to need to tailgate me, do the quick zip out and around, followed by a much-to-close zip back in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In Response to Re: What's with all of the road rage lately?:
    [QUOTE]Well, I certainly get angry when someone with their head buried in a cellphone switches into my lane and nearly hits my car. I get angry when I'm doing 80 in the left lane and someone thinks he needs to tailgate me and flash his brights - because he needs to go 100. I get angry when the light turns green and the person infront just sits there. I get angry when I'm on my morning run and a confused old person rolls through a stop sign and nearly kills me. Of course, I do not then go have a "road rage" incident. I mainly just utter a few curses and move on. True assholes- get the finger, but then, perhaps that's asking for trouble.... I tend to think that the serious incidents either involve the sort of truly unhinged macho man who would stab someone over an insult, or a situation where both parties are unstable.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]
    Same here. The one thing that does set me off, though not to the point of shooting or stabbing anyone, is the special people who feel sitting in a line of cars to get on/off the highway is for us lessers. They block the right-hand travel lane and make it very dangerous for others getting onto that highway because we have to pull from almost a dead stop to the middle lane to get around them. The clover leaf at 93 and 128 is the worst!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

I honestly don't see the point in getting angry at bad drivers. What is getting angry going to accomplish? What is giving the finger going to accomplish? Do people actually think giving the finger is a "gotcha" moment?
    We've all cut someone off in the many years we've been driving. In the few times I've done it, it wasn't done intentionally or maliciously. Just happens. Of course, when the finger is given to me I smile and wave. That pi55es of the person more than anything because it's not response they wanted. They wanted to see me react by getting all mad and upset. Kill em with kindness works MUCH better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

[QUOTE]I honestly don't see the point in getting angry at bad drivers. What is getting angry going to accomplish? What is giving the finger going to accomplish? Do people actually think giving the finger is a "gotcha" moment? We've all cut someone off in the many years we've been driving. In the few times I've done it, it wasn't done intentionally or maliciously. Just happens. Of course, when the finger is given to me I smile and wave. That pi55es of the person more than anything because it's not response they wanted. They wanted to see me react by getting all mad and upset. Kill em with kindness works MUCH better.
    Posted by WhichOnesPink[/QUOTE]

Ha!  The smile and wave thing made me crack up.

I understand that we've all done stupid things and made mistakes on the road and I find myself agreeing with each and every single comment here.  I guess my train of thought is trying to find out what makes a person take it to that next level.  You hear of these stories in the news and these are people who have jobs, own homes, have families, etc.  They have so much to lose by flipping out and interacting in this type of scene where someone could get injured or possibly killed, so what makes them do it?  I can't wrap my head around the idea that so many people out there are just walking around completely pissed off and ready to blow at any second, although maybe that is really the case. 

Also, someone mentioned mental disorders comparable to OCD or panic attacks and that makes me wonder about the legal side of it all.  If someone is in a road rage incident and property is destroyed or bodily injury occurs, are they charged like everyone else (basically as someone who has no mental disorders and is expected to behave like a rational person)?  Do the courts demand that the person attend some sort of anger management class or counseling?  Should they?  I normally would never suggest this but seeing my friends (usually friendly) husband get so randomly angry the second that he is in a vehicle really makes me wonder if there is something to this theory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

I don't get why people get in such a rage that they resort to assault or worse killing.
    I was driving home from work one day and I glanced to my rearview mirror and a Ryder box truck was so close all I could see was the grill. No need be that close. If I had to stop short he'd have no doubt hit me. So I eased off the gas. Didn't pump the brakes. Just eased off to get him to ease off. Then I sped up a bit to create a gap. Apparently he didn't like that. He guns it comes alongside my car and swerves into my lane to the point where I had to lock the brakes up because I had nowhere to go since a wall was on my right. We get up to the red light and he proceeds to get out of his truck and walk towards me. He was about 4 cars ahead of me. He was about a car length away and the light turned green. I proceeded forward with a big wave and smile. I looked in my rearview and he was fit to be tied. I laughed all the way home thinking about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Kill em with kindness works MUCH better.
    Posted by WhichOnesPink

Of course...that requires them to still be looking at you..

-----------------------

Wouldn't do it if they weren't looking. Otherwise what would be the point???

Of course not. In most instances, the person isn't even looking anymore.

-------------------------

Bullshite. They always look. They want to see your reaction. Otherwise what's the point???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's with all of the road rage lately? : As I speculate, more or less the same "point" as cursing after you snap a finger. It hurts, therefore, you say "SH*T!" It's not like your finger, or what you snapped it on, knows you are hurt or angry about the event. It's reflexive.

Apples and oranges. Reacting to a bone snapping is much different than reacting to someone cutting you off. Reason being is the initial reaction is to take care of braking/swerving etc. to avoid an accident. It is only AFTER the REFLEXIVE action that we CHOOSE to flip the person off. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMStrong59. Show IMStrong59's posts

[QUOTE]I've heard it's an anxiety disorder like OCD, anorexia, hoarding, and other inexplicable behaviors.  I think our society is so stressed out as a whole that anxiety is manifesting in many, well, pardon the word, nutty ways.   That's why it's inexplicable in rational terms - anxiety disorders are, by their nature, irrational. I also find driving relaxing even in the city at rush hour.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    I would tend to agree with you. It is not just road rage, but rage everywhere. Look at the incidents at McDonalds recently.
    It may be that since our culture celebrates violence that we have become inured to it.
    We have role models who use violence to solve problems, i.e. Hockey fistfights, other sports figures attacking fans, easy access to 1000's of YouTube videos of violent acts.
    Violence is exciting and has great appleal to many people. We are able to see vidoes of graphic violence such as suicide bombings, beheadings, etc.
    Add that to our gun culture and the violence the young adults of this generation were subjected to on TV and in video games and music.
    Our desesitization to violence seems to be growing exponentially and is now being reflected all across society.
    I think it is also the cause of the increased incidences of police brutality that have cropped up. Cops face a more violent constutuency and are more afraid that a simple act like refusing to turn around or someone questioning why they are being stopped will turn violent against them, so the act preemptively.
    Whatever it is, it IS getting worse, and WE are causing it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMStrong59. Show IMStrong59's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I certainly get angry when someone with their head buried in a cellphone switches into my lane and nearly hits my car. I get angry when I'm doing 80 in the left lane and someone thinks he needs to tailgate me and flash his brights - because he needs to go 100. I get angry when the light turns green and the person infront just sits there. I get angry when I'm on my morning run and a confused old person rolls through a stop sign and nearly kills me. Of course, I do not then go have a "road rage" incident. I mainly just utter a few curses and move on. True assholes- get the finger, but then, perhaps that's asking for trouble.... I tend to think that the serious incidents either involve the sort of truly unhinged macho man who would stab someone over an insult, or a situation where both parties are unstable.

It seems that many of us are poised to find a reason to get angry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hunter45. Show Hunter45's posts

People are simply uptight because the country is going down the drain. 

The stress of a terrible economy, loss of jobs, loss of homes, crumbling marriages, needing to pull kids out of college because you can't afford to send them anymore, the sky-rocketing price of gas, etc.  There is a constant lingering feeling of desperation and hopelessness in the air.  No wonder people are snapping at the least little thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

[QUOTE]People are simply uptight because the country is going down the drain.  The stress of a terrible economy, loss of jobs, loss of homes, crumbling marriages, needing to pull kids out of college because you can't afford to send them anymore, the sky-rocketing price of gas, etc.  There is a constant lingering feeling of desperation and hopelessness in the air.  No wonder people are snapping at the least little thing.
    Posted by Hunter45[/QUOTE]

This.
    Entire societys can have a "mood" just as a single person can. Think of all the "news baggage" we carry with us every day, its an anchor on all of us. We never stop to think that our mood from a bad piece of news or a negative event affects everyone as it affect us. The opposite is also true.
     Great example of this is the US Hockey gold medal of 1980. This country went, practically overnight, from a grumpy, cynical old man to rejuvenated and hopeful, and it set the stage for all of the turnaround that followed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMStrong59. Show IMStrong59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's with all of the road rage lately? : Mmmm. So you would not be angry if someone nearly hit you at 80 mph because their head was buried in a cellphone? 
    @Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow: Any sane person would be angry at someone acting out in road rage at any speed. Since it is very obvious that "that" is what the conversation is about, one can only conclude that your question is unreasonable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMStrong59. Show IMStrong59's posts

[QUOTE]I think the economy ,as well as the unpredictable tragedies that are befalling the country, have most people on edge.
    Posted by Heisinberg[/QUOTE]

I agree, but think it is a global phenomenon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to What's with all of the road rage lately?:
    [QUOTE]In the past couple of weeks, I can think of 3 or 4 road rage incidents that have made the headlines and it disturbs me that a lot of them have ended with stabbings, shootings, and vehicles flipped off of the road.  I am aware that road rage has always existed but it seems like it has escalated lately....or is this just a simple case of more media coverage? I have a friend at work whose husband is nutso behind the wheel.  She tells me that she's never seen anything like it before, he starts driving and is instantly "worked up", even when there is nothing happening.  I have met this man and he is perfectly friendly and reasonable when he's not driving. I've always found driving to be relaxing.  I get some personal time alone, I can listen to whatever music I want, etc.  If I have a person with me, I view that as a nice opportunity to really sit and talk (which no one seems to want to do anymore).  Of course, I have occasionally beeped and (I hate admitting this) even given the finger but I can't say that I've ever had any scenarios that have gotten to the point where people are getting out of their cars and taking it to that next level. I honestly have no clue what causes road rage.  All I know is that people are ending up in the hospital and/or dying because a lot of drivers can't keep their cool and that really scares me.  Does anyone out there know someone who is really angry behind the wheel?  What sets them off?  Is there any way to help someone change their behavior?  Anger management? I'm open to theories.  
    Posted by SwizzleSticks[/QUOTE]

Progressives, seeing that there half-baked, illogical plans to enslave the people, are seriously panicked that Obama has not announced he is the Messiah, and that people are to pull over to the side of the road and let his believers pass.
    Other than that, I can't think of anything.