Why's it always the morons that get all the luck?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Why's it always the morons that get all the luck?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/man-finds-150-000-garden-225554517.html

unemployed (#1)
     in his backyard  (#2)
     49-year-old, living with his dad (#3)

Does he keep the money and make a new life for himself? 

No. 

Instead he suffers from complete stupidity.

"With my luck, it would be bank robbery and I'd get caught and say I'd robbed a bank."

No dummy; with your luck you'd be a 49 year old unemployed (presumably) single, unmarried childless moron living with your dad flushing down a toilet - a golden opportunity at freedom.

For what exactly?     Honesty?   A clear conscience?

Leave Honesty and clarity for the guys who wear tights and a cape. 

The next time you come across a bag full of money.

TAKE IT and keep your mouth shut about it.

Yeah real bright idea turning it into police having your name known in the news.

Jesus.  People are such stupid idiots.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

Re: Why's it always the morons that get all the luck?

In Response to Why's it always the morons that get all the luck?:
    [QUOTE]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/man-finds-150-000-garden-225554517.html unemployed (#1)   in his backyard   (#2)  49-year-old, living with his dad (#3) ___________________________________ Does he keep the money and make a new life for himself?  No.  Instead he suffers from complete stupidity. " With my luck, it would be bank robbery and I'd get caught and say I'd robbed a bank." No dummy; with your luck you'd be a 49 year old unemployed (presumably) single, unmarried childless moron living with your dad flushing down a toilet - a golden opportunity at freedom. For what exactly?     Honesty?   A clear conscience? Leave Honesty and clarity for the guys who wear tights and a cape.   The next time you come across a bag full of money.    TAKE IT and keep your mouth shut about it. Yeah real bright idea turning it into police having your name known in the news.      Jesus.  People are such stupid idiots .
    Posted by WriterXT[/QUOTE]

No he doesn't keep it.  Instead he demonstrates a lot of integrity and honesty by turning it in.  A lot of people could learn from his "complete stupidity".

He's not going to take something for nothing.  Good for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

"With my luck, it would be bank robbery and I'd get caught and say I'd robbed a bank."

He was absolutely correct to think this way.

WriterXT - When was the last time you misplaced legitimately earned $150k??? People don't misplace that kind of money in random places.

And according to the article he may end up getting to keep it if no one comes forward to claim it. So ultimately he may get rewarded for doing the smart thing.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

You'd pick up a bag with 150K in it? Here's why you don't:

1. As already stated, people don't accidentally lose that kind of money.

2. Anyone who made that money legitimately wouldn't leave it in a paper bag.

3. Since 1 & 2 are correct, that means you must assume the incredibly high possibility that the bag is a 'drop' and is being watched. Do you still pick up the bag?

If you answered no to #3 then nothing happens. You go on your way and are left alone.
     If you answered yes to #3:

A. Go to the cops with it and you will not be touched. Whoever left the bag gets nothing for hurting you as they can't get the money back unless they have someone working inside in the evidence room, and if they do, there's no point in hurting you anyway.

B. Keep the cash and die. Assuming the high probability that someone is watching, they saw you take the case and followed you home. They know where it is. They will find out who you are, what you do, what kind of weapons you have at home, and plan an invasion accordingly.
     Furthermore, after they're done ripping you to pieces the cops will not be able to figure out who did it.

So, you can call the guy a moron but if the price for taking the money is your life, I'd say he made the right choice, especially if he gets to keep the money if nobody claims it (and I guarantee you, nobody is going to claim that money as, if they do, the cops and the Department of Revenue, take notice).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

So we learned that XT does not believe in integrity.  I bet the unemployed carpenter gets a job before he does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goright. Show Goright's posts

XT made a mistake. Only a progressive liberal seeks such handouts and XT does not fit with this class. On the other hand, if this money were stolen from a bank, the bank has long since written it off and suffers no loss. XT can take this "free" money but he must be very careful in the way he spends it. I have yet to see one progressive liberal offer to return any handout.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

You idiots have been watching too many re-runs of : No Country For Old Men.

Sure, a dumb country bumpkin like Josh Brolin's character would never think to look in packets of money to find multiple tracers. 

But in real life? 

Chances are crimnals who dump money somewhere under pressure; 

-in all liklihood won't remember where they left it
      much less deduce those that own the property they left it on probably took it.

On the off chance that a criminal does return when the heat's off - to retrieve stashed money and it's not there; don't you idiots think the owners of the property will still find themselves in trouble? 

If you're going to turn in a bag of money you assume is from a criminal; to police; you had best also make a recommendation that they also protect you from retribution.  

If this 49 year old moron wanted to be smart about it; he should have left the money right where it was.    If after 3 years or so the bag of money hasn't been taken.  It's a free for all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: Why's it always the morons that get all the luck?:
    [QUOTE]XT made a mistake. Only a progressive liberal seeks such handouts and XT does not fit with this class. On the other hand, if this money were stolen from a bank, the bank has long since written it off and suffers no loss. XT can take this "free" money but he must be very careful in the way he spends it. I have yet to see one progressive liberal offer to return any handout.
    Posted by Goright[/QUOTE]

So you would take someone else's money too.  The bank may have "written it off" (?), but someone is still at a loss and it most assuredly is not yours.  You would take it out of selfish greed.  And you have the nerve to complain about "progressive liberals" (whatever they are...) who may be the beneficiary of social programs (not individual theft) because of their actual need.  Greed vs. need.  Figure out which one is more moral.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]You idiots have been watching too many re-runs of : No Country For Old Men. Sure, a dumb country bumpkin like Josh Brolin's character would never think to look in packets of money to find multiple tracers.  But in real life?  Chances are crimnals who dump money somewhere under pressure;  -in all liklihood won't remember where they left it   much less deduce those that own the property they left it on probably took it. On the off chance that a criminal does return when the heat's off - to retrieve stashed money and it's not there; don't you idiots think the owners of the property will still find themselves in trouble?  If you're going to turn in a bag of money you assume is from a criminal; to police; you had best also make a recommendation that they also protect you from retribution.   If this 49 year old moron wanted to be smart about it; he should have left the money right where it was.    If after 3 years or so the bag of money hasn't been taken.  It's a free for all.   

Apparently you have not considered that it is evidence of a crime (probably the product of a crime) and could reveal clues to arresting criminals that prey upon society. Wouldn't you want the bank robber or drug lord whose money this is be brought to justice?  Naww.. just keep it, spend it and hope for the best. Why think about anyone else??? Morality, integrity and a social conscience are all overrated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Since this 49 year old person lives with his old father; he has to be
    concerned about his and his father's safety. 

That's why I made the exception.

It would have been an easy decision to make off with the money if he lived alone (#1) in an apartment(#2).

Therefore a criminal that returned to where they stashed money won't know anything.

If money is stashed elsewhere not on someone's property,  even better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedwardnicky. Show jedwardnicky's posts

[QUOTE]XT made a mistake. Only a progressive liberal seeks such handouts and XT does not fit with this class. On the other hand, if this money were stolen from a bank, the bank has long since written it off and suffers no loss. XT can take this "free" money but he must be very careful in the way he spends it. I have yet to see one progressive liberal offer to return any handout.
    Posted by Goright[/QUOTE]

"XT does not fit with this class"? Are you nuts? He's the Validictorian! He's been getting free stuff, paid by us, for a decade!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I see XT has never been the target of a gang or he wouldn't have made that post.

Chances of a criminal dumping money under pressure are very low. It's not by chance, it's a deliberate drop, and odds are someone is watching the drop from a distance (remember, you don't actually have to be close to the drop to see it).
     Do not mistake all the criminals for idiots. There's quite a few crafty ones out there and they play this kind of game and they will hunt you down for their cash if you don't make the right choices.
     Being honest about the money usually keeps you safe. You came across it by accident and you didn't keep it for yourself. If it is turned over to you later by the police as nobody else claimed it then they still can't go after you without attracting unwanted attention from the cops.
     If you're going to play with the gangs then you better start thinking like them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE] I see XT has never been the target of a gang or he wouldn't have made that post.  Chances of a criminal dumping money under pressure are very low. It's not by chance, it's a deliberate drop, and odds are someone is watching the drop from a distance (remember, you don't actually have to be close to the drop to see it).  Do not mistake all the criminals for idiots. There's quite a few crafty ones out there and they play this kind of game and they will hunt you down for their cash if you don't make the right choices.  Being honest about the money usually keeps you safe. You came across it by accident and you didn't keep it for yourself. If it is turned over to you later by the police as nobody else claimed it then they still can't go after you without attracting unwanted attention from the cops.  If you're going to play with the gangs then you better start thinking like them.
    Posted by undead[/QUOTE]

Somehow I don't think hardened criminals really care about attracting unwanted attention from police.  

But as someon else said;  I never had to deal with gangs.

However I still believe I know what I'm talking about.

So there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Trust me, you have no idea what you're talking about. Try being hunted down by two very organized gangs and staying alive and I might say you know what you're talking about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE] Trust me, you have no idea what you're talking about. Try being hunted down by two very organized gangs and staying alive and I might say you know what you're talking about.  
    Posted by undead[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing the point.  A bag of money doesn't have any identifying tags on it.  

Like : 

This is the property of a criminal in the commission of a crime.  Hands Off.
    Failure to heed this warning will result in serious and often times deadly consequences for whomever shall take this bag without the expressed written consent of the criminal thereto.

Any bag of money; a lost wallet; or simple cash lying on the street is up for grabs.  Back in 2006 was the last time I remember taking money I found lying in a parking lot.   I looked around to see if anyone was comming back for it; picked it up and spent it.  ( went to see X-MEN The Last Stand at the Loews/AMC complex in Boston)

The likliest assumption is that a criminal left it there but unless he or she returned the next day to grab it;  I say take it - and for a 49 year old in that guy's position he should have unless he thought about his father. Any ordinary person would have been free and clear,  but this guy was tied down because it was on his father's property buried in a vegetable garden. 

Organized criminals are organized for a reason.  They're far more sophisticated about where they stash money where it can't be found randomly or without a deliberate search.

Whitey Bulger is said to have money stashed all over the world. Most likely in lockboxes.  Lockboxes, lockers,  in cracks and crevices underneath bridges where people don't go. 

As far as some morons who think too much like what is seen in movies about criminal money exchanges -  they don't take place in public. 

In real life, I imagine money exchanges take place in remote wilderness areas,  state parks along a walking path or trail;  particularly on a sunday or holiday when most people stay home.

If I came along money; it's always likely it would be a small amount like I did the last time.  If it's a larger amount in the bushes or in the weeds;  I have no choice but to assume it wasn't necessarily stashed but likely tossed while someone was running. 

If it's a suitcase full of money. No average person today is going to come across it.  Suitcases left alone anywhere is likely reported. In a library, supermarket, bank or public square as lost property. 

No one today is going to come across a suitcase and walk off with it without being noticed. 

If you're not walking off with a suitcase wearing regular clothes; you likely assume ( while turning it in ) it's a business man's lost papers or a terrorist's suitcase nuke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You do get to keep the money if no one claims it; it takes a year (at least in MA).  I turned in $500 I found on the T once, and did actually get it a year later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Turning money into police is a stupid idea on it's face.

The best police do is sit on it and wait for someone to claim it as a lost n' found situation.

They don't list lost money on any website or bulletin board. 

" Lost money found ( location, time, and by the person who found it ) "

Most people who lose money have no idea where they lost it or how much was lost.   When you go to police you have to describe exactly how much was lost.

Where, when and under what circumsances. 

Police propably sit on hundreds of dollars of cash and it probably gets forwarded to the state IRS if no one claims it 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

A wallet with $500 is not the same as a bag with thousands inside it, for one, and if you knew what I knew you would stop making a fool of yourself. 
     Some gangs do this all the time, thus the reason if I came across a bag at certain places, I would not even give it a glance. 

The suitcase depends on where it is found. Again, certain parts of town are safer than others, and in the right hands, the business info is worth far more than the amount of money you can fit in the suitcase. 

You really don't want to get into this arguement with someone who's been around that block. If you think nothing will happen, please, by all means, pick up the bag. Who knows, you may just be able to keep it and go on with your life, but you are taking a chance that someone will come looking for it and that nobody noticed you taking it. Is it worth the risk to you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

I don't believe I'll ever come across a suitcase or a bag full of money.

That's one thing.

But if it ever happened; I would definitely take it.  

Odds are when I would come across it it won't be in a vegtable garden that's a part of my own house.

Assuming the money's being " watched " is a stupid thing that only happens in movies. 

In reality; no one's ever been shot or killed or " gone missing " since attempting to take money that was placed in plain view of everyone.

I'll gladly take my chances because unlike most people I'm 6' 2;  270lbs.
    First you have to catch me. 
    Then you have to overpower me and stuff me in the back of a car trunk.

I seriously doubt three or even five scrawny looking Joe Pesci Al Pacino Ray Liotta types can get me down without a fight.

As Charlton Heston once said; from my cold dead hands.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SwizzleSticks. Show SwizzleSticks's posts

[QUOTE]I don't believe I'll ever come across a suitcase or a bag full of money. That's one thing. But if it ever happened; I would definitely take it.   Odds are when I would come across it it won't be in a vegtable garden that's a part of my own house. Assuming the money's being " watched " is a stupid thing that only happens in movies.  In reality; no one's ever been shot or killed or " gone missing " since attempting to take money that was placed in plain view of everyone. I'll gladly take my chances because unlike most people I'm 6' 2;  270lbs. First you have to catch me.  Then you have to overpower me and stuff me in the back of a car trunk. I seriously doubt three or even five scrawny looking Joe Pesci Al Pacino Ray Liotta types can get me down without a fight. As Charlton Heston once said; from my cold dead hands .

So, let's assume that you "take the money and run".  What are your plans after that?  Do you plan on buying a new car?  Anything expensive?  Isn't the government going to notice that you are now spending way beyond your income and wonder where all of this money is coming from?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Swizzle brings up the other point. The government won't be the only ones noticing the new car in the driveway.
     You'd just sit on the money for a while. Enough time passes and you can claim you saved it up but that will probably take a decade.

As for nobody ever gone missing, not every police force cares about the residents it's there to protect. And, if they don't care, they don't report. 

The typical response to Mr. Heston: Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

Swizzle doesn't bring up a point.   The answer is simple.  What happens after that is that I pay off my debts.  One at a time.  Starting with my 2004 back taxes. 

If the government and credit rating agencies notice anything it's that I took care of my outstanding financial obligations.   

99 out of 100 car and home purchases that don't involve government aid or tax credit initiatives will go unnoticed.

Why would a realtor or a car dealership care about someone's personal finances if they're paying in cash or by bank cashier's check?    

Riddle me that one Batman.

As far as a car is concerned, the only thing a car dealership may need to know is someone's driver's license number - along with basic information.

Keep in mind; I don't have to be stationery to do all of those things.

With a computer, internet access and a cell phone.  I can pretty much take that money ( if it's $200,000 in cash or more ) and go anywhere in the country -  settle down somewhere quiet and secluded and take care of business when and however I want.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WriterXT. Show WriterXT's posts

[QUOTE]I think the guy did the right thing turning in the money.  It was more than likely related to criminal activity,  and I believe someone was watching it or at least planned to come back for it at some point.  By just taking the money I think the guy would have put his life in jeopardy.  This way he'll end up with the money anyway as it is very unlikely anyone will claim it,  and can then quietly go about his business and not have to worry about legal repercussions.  The only other option would be to ignore the bag of money altogether.  PS: He may have to spend part of that money to relocate and change his name!
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

My thinking exactly.

If a criminal stashes money in your backyard garden; you have only one choice to avoid being in trouble with the criminal who put it there.  

Leave it alone.

If you take it;   odds are it's not being watched; and the criminal won't know who you are that took it.   Criminals are not adept at birdwatching a location for people who might take their loot.

That's just my assumption.

If you turn it into police; you still have to deal with a criminal who realizes the money's gone and will come knocking on your door holding a gun at your face.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't you been out of work for a while now? How long has it been because if you've filed your taxes as not having a job and suddenly show up with a ton of cash, that will be noticed.

$0 - 50K overnight will get noticed unless you win the lottery or hit it big at a casino. And the government people you get noticed by will not be the IRS. They get what's left of you afterwords. 

This is a larger problem than you think it is. Money is very tempting and I can't say I blame you for wanting to take the cash, but, as my grandmother used to say, the road to hell is paved with gold.