WMD Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

WMD Question

Apparently some folks still think Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.  I'm guessing these would be mostly Fox viewers or Rush lovers.

Here's a story on Curveball, the guy who originally sold the WMD story to the Bushies:

And here's a sweet video of Bush as stand up comic at the 2004 White house correspondents' dinner:

Enjoy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Re: WMD Question

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." -- Ted Kennedy, September 27, 2002

"There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein's regime is a serious danger, that he is a tyrant, and that his pursuit of lethal weapons of mass destruction cannot be tolerated. He must be disarmed." -- Ted Kennedy, Sept 27, 2002

"I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." -- John F. Kerry, Oct 2002

"The threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but as I said, it is not new. It has been with us since the end of that war, and particularly in the last 4 years we know after Operation Desert Fox failed to force him to reaccept them, that he has continued to build those weapons. He has had a free hand for 4 years to reconstitute these weapons, allowing the world, during the interval, to lose the focus we had on weapons of mass destruction and the issue of proliferation." -- John Kerry, October 9, 2002

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

How does one define "mass destruction":

Saddam did after all kill many thousands of kurds in a single poison gas attack:

Ofcourse its only people that died, and no property damage. If we are just talking about weapons that can knock down buildings then if thats the definition fair enough. 

Or perhaps its a physics term referring to destruction of mass i.e. conversion of mass into energy as would happen in a nuclear device? 
    Curious concept, I'd love to know the real definition. Is it down to property damage or ability to kill thousands of people that counts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: WMD Question:
    [QUOTE]How does one define "mass destruction": Saddam did after all kill many thousands of kurds in a single poison gas attack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_poison_gas_attack Ofcourse its only people that died, and no property damage. If we are just talking about weapons that can knock down buildings then if thats the definition fair enough.  Or perhaps its a physics term referring to destruction of mass i.e. conversion of mass into energy as would happen in a nuclear device?  Curious concept, I'd love to know the real definition. Is it down to property damage or ability to kill thousands of people that counts?  
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

Refers to chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons.

Weapons designed to kill large amounts of people at once, but, conventional weapons that do the same seem to be omitted (ie, a 2 ton bunker buster, if dropped on a stadium, would probably kill lots of people...but is not considered a WMD).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8101956. Show 8101956's posts

BobinVa why don't you use quotes or stammerings from Dubya ? He took us to war. He dropped on the ball in Afghanstan, and he was asleep at the switch when it cames to terrorism. HE WAS IN CHARGE WHEN 9/11 HAPPENED. He cherry picked the intel that took us to war in IRAQ. He broke the military and he let the bankers ruin our country. You are defending a CRIME FAMILY.  History will not look kind onto the neo-cons. Blame Bush, you neo-con apologist !Semper Fi !  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In Response to WMD Question:
    [QUOTE]Apparently some folks still think Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.  I'm guessing these would be mostly Fox viewers or Rush lovers. Here's a story on Curveball, the guy who originally sold the WMD story to the Bushies: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/15/defector-admits-wmd-lies-iraq-war And here's a sweet video of Bush as stand up comic at the 2004 White house correspondents' dinner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9EbssUgHj4&feature=player_embedded#at=13 Enjoy.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]
    Invading Iraq based on lies will go down in history as the worst military blunder by this country, led at that time by Mr. Mission Accomplished - the worst President ever, George "DUHbya" Bush.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The issue seems to be how much was found.  to say there were none is a false statement.

" The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html#ixzz1EDdMlhCG

From msnbc:

"The removal of 550 metric tons of "yellowcake" — the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment — was a significant step to"ward closing the books on Saddam's nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." -- Ted Kennedy, September 27, 2002 "There is no doubt that Saddam Hussein's regime is a serious danger, that he is a tyrant, and that his pursuit of lethal weapons of mass destruction cannot be tolerated. He must be disarmed." -- Ted Kennedy, Sept 27, 2002 "I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." -- John F. Kerry, Oct 2002 "The threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real, but as I said, it is not new. It has been with us since the end of that war, and particularly in the last 4 years we know after Operation Desert Fox failed to force him to reaccept them, that he has continued to build those weapons. He has had a free hand for 4 years to reconstitute these weapons, allowing the world, during the interval, to lose the focus we had on weapons of mass destruction and the issue of proliferation." -- John Kerry, October 9, 2002
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

So the thread lists articles about how they found a lack of WMDs and evidence the programs were canceled several years before the second invasion.

You're response is quotes from John Kerry and Ted Kennedy in 2002, which were based on the "intelligence" Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld claimed to have that there were active weapons programs?

Amazing.

Yes yes, I know.  Democrats voted for the war too, and to you, it doesn't matter that the votes would not have happened but for faulty intelligence provided by ________________________________________________.

Also, Byrd was a racist in 1956, and that proves something or other.... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : So the thread lists articles about how they found a lack of WMDs and evidence the programs were canceled several years before the second invasion. You're response is quotes from John Kerry and Ted Kennedy in 2002, which were based on the "intelligence" Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld claimed to have that there were active weapons programs? Amazing. Yes yes, I know.  Democrats voted for the war too, and to you, it doesn't matter that the votes would not have happened but for faulty intelligence provided by ________________________________________________. Also, Byrd was a racist in 1956, and that proves something or other.... 
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

"for faulty intelligence provided by ________________________________________________."

George Tenant.  Democrat and Clinton appointee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : "for faulty intelligence provided by ________________________________________________." George Tenant.  Democrat and Clinton appointee.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Very good.  I guessed you'd take the "was appointed by a Democrat" approach.

Now let's walk you to the next step, and let's think about it. 

How could that matter? 

Are you suggesting that because he was appointed by a Democrat, Bush was somehow excused from making sure it was good intelligence before ordering an invasion that resulted in 100,000-500,000 Iraqi civilian deaths?

Or are you going farther, and actually trying to blame the Democrats for the Iraq War? (Wouldn't be surprised).

Why else would the political offiliation of the person who appointed Tenet matter?

And you're right: How DARE anyone expect the President to verify intelligence before ramming it down everyone's throats?  I mean, intelligence is supposed to be intelligent. DUH!

And of course, Bush was very upset about how he was tricked by the liberal scheme you have uncovered, a diabolical scheme to make it look like it was all his fault he ordered the invasion of the wrong country:

"George Tenet did a superb job for America. It was a high honor to work with him, and I'm sorry he left." (Reuters, June 5, 2004)

PS:  Non-weapon-grade yellow cake stored since the early '80s is not a "WMD".  And explodeable atomic bomb is a "WMD."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8101956. Show 8101956's posts

Skeeter you and that other guy from VA might be the last two people on the face of the earth to still think that Dubya and his cartel weren't lying about their reasons to go to war in Iraq. Bronx Cheer ! You Chicken Hawk ,Dubya apologist. Semper Fi !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : Very good.  I guessed you'd take the "was appointed by a Democrat" approach. Now let's walk you to the next step, and let's think about it.  How could that matter?  Are you suggesting that because he was appointed by a Democrat, Bush was somehow excused from making sure it was good intelligence before ordering an invasion that resulted in 100,000-500,000 Iraqi civilian deaths? Or are you going farther, and actually trying to blame the Democrats for the Iraq War? (Wouldn't be surprised). Why else would the political offiliation of the person who appointed Tenet matter? And you're right: How DARE anyone expect the President to verify intelligence before ramming it down everyone's throats?  I mean, intelligence is supposed to be intelligent. DUH! And of course, Bush was very upset about how he was tricked by the liberal scheme you have uncovered, a diabolical scheme to make it look like it was all his fault he ordered the invasion of the wrong country: "George Tenet did a superb job for America. It was a high honor to work with him, and I'm sorry he left." ( Reuters , June 5, 2004) PS:  Non-weapon-grade yellow cake stored since the early '80s is not a "WMD".  And explodeable atomic bomb is a "WMD."
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

I guess when President Clinton bombed Iraq, one of the times at least (1998), he must have had some intelligence reports supporting that decision, right?  I mean, if he acted on his own that would be criminal, right?  Probably a lot of the same folks in the intelligence world in that 5 year stretch putting together those reports...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Skeeter you and that other guy from VA might be the last two people on the face of the earth to still think that Dubya and his cartel weren't lying about their reasons to go to war in Iraq. Bronx Cheer ! You Chicken Hawk ,Dubya apologist. Semper Fi !
    Posted by 8101956[/QUOTE]

show me your proof that they were lying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I find it interesting that, wading into the debate on WMD, I am not met with facts, as I have done, but this liberal screed of Bush lied, people died.  I have yet to see any proof of this, but in typical useful idiopt fashion, the left clings bitterly to their slogans and lack of facts.

Anyone:  I have shown you the proof that wmd were found in Iraq.  Show me the proof bush has lied.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

**crickets chirping**

So hard to produce facts when there are none.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bill1013. Show bill1013's posts

WMD will go down in history with the Gulf of Tonkin incident as two of the most contrived reasons to go to war. And people died needlessly in both cases. We have learned nothing of the lessons of Vietnam.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]They (Bush and Cheney and the boys) were either lying or incredibly, unbelievably, irreparably stupid. You decide.

I suppose when President Clinton was lobbing missiles at Iraq, that was intelligent, right?  I wonder where that intelligence came from? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

^^^
    wasn't that in response to Saddams killing of the Kurds?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

scooter, you expect anyone to believe a report from Fox News.

Anyone:  I have shown you the proof that wmd were found in Iraq.  Show me the proof bush has lied. skeeter20

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]^^^ wasn't that in response to Saddams killing of the Kurds?
    Posted by lawboy[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that was the case.  The attacks on the Kurds with chemical weapons happened in the late 80's.  The bombing I am referring to was 1998.  Kind of hard to believe that would be a response for the Kurds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from topaz978. Show topaz978's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : I guess when President Clinton bombed Iraq, one of the times at least (1998), he must have had some intelligence reports supporting that decision, right?  I mean, if he acted on his own that would be criminal, right?  Probably a lot of the same folks in the intelligence world in that 5 year stretch putting together those reports...
    Posted by Rushfan2112[/QUOTE]

When you say Clinton bombed iraq you left out some details. He bombed well established military posts conducting helicopter raids into the no fly zone established by the UN and enforced by US and other countries. And yes it was based on intelligence provided by RADAR. Watching the aircraft take off fly into the banned zone and return to base. Not quite the same as looking at CIA info is it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : When you say Clinton bombed iraq you left out some details. He bombed well established military posts conducting helicopter raids into the no fly zone established by the UN and enforced by US and other countries. And yes it was based on intelligence provided by RADAR. Watching the aircraft take off fly into the banned zone and return to base. Not quite the same as looking at CIA info is it.
    Posted by topaz978[/QUOTE]

I didn't leave anything out, it's an established fact that President Clinton lobbed some cruise missles at Iraq in 1998.  And that decision was based on intelligence, right?  On this we agree.  However, I sincerely doubt that there was a 100% turnaround in the intelligence community in 5 years.  I'm making a guess here, but seems reasonable to think that there was a good deal of overlap in intelligence from one President to the next.  I also sincerely doubt the decision to bomb was based solely on RADAR. 

You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it.  But I don't think the point is unreasonable.  And then when you consider the concern the US politicians held throughout the 90s and early 2000s regarding this topic...well it was thought the "best thing" was to remove the threat, and the majority of the house and senate agreed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]scooter, you expect anyone to believe a report from Fox News. Anyone:  I have shown you the proof that wmd were found in Iraq.  Show me the proof bush has lied. skeeter20
    Posted by lawboy[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as a no, you don't have any proof.  you just have an overflowing cup of hatred.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WMD Question : When you say Clinton bombed iraq you left out some details. He bombed well established military posts conducting helicopter raids into the no fly zone established by the UN and enforced by US and other countries. And yes it was based on intelligence provided by RADAR. Watching the aircraft take off fly into the banned zone and return to base. Not quite the same as looking at CIA info is it.
    Posted by topaz978[/QUOTE]

"Earlier today, I ordered Americas armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraqs nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors."

Clinton in his own words.  Looks like Clinton was, how did a former poster put it?  either stupid or lying.  you choose.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rushfan2112. Show Rushfan2112's posts

[QUOTE]Wow boys. I didn't realize Clinton was such a war monger.  Thanks for pointing that out. Keep working on this.  You're bound to prove that Iraq actually did have WMD, even though Bush couldn't find them and declared war anyway.  And if you don't give up, you'll probably find a connection between Iraq and Al Qaeada. Keep watching Fox and you'll also come up with the little-known fact that a certain alien planet is wholly owned by Al Qaeada and right now has our major cities targeted with a super-secret new weapon -- well, a weapon known only to Fox and, of course, Rush.

I don't recall saying President Clinton was a warmonger.  Would you point out for me where I said that?