Are You an Angry White Man?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisy1. Show daisy1's posts

This started off reasonable enough, but as I continued to read, I realized the author got caught up in his own anger.� A fairer discription of the voter he tried to acknowledge should be:Angry White ####!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisy1. Show daisy1's posts

That's A Hole with a capitol A!�� Not gender specific unless you want to play Hubbles game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billings11. Show billings11's posts

Sounds like my father.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

His wife is more emotional than rational?�� If he is a typical American, his wife works outside the home and earns half of the family money - If my husband were spending our mutual, hard-earned money going to strip clubs watching girls as old as his oldest daughter, it would be quite rational of me to throw the bum out.� After all, we will BOTH be paying for those braces, college educations and weddings.I think I heard �violin music play while I read it.� He sounds more delusional than anything.Was this written in 1955?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heynow98. Show heynow98's posts

He also votes, and the Angry White Man loathes Hillary Clinton. Her voice reminds him of a shovel scraping a rock. He recoils at the mere sight of her on television. Her very image disgusts him, and he cannot fathom why anyone would want her as their leader. It�s not that she is a woman. It�s that she is who she is. It�s the liberal victim groups she panders to, the �poor me� attitude that she represents, her inability to give a straight answer to an honest question, his tax dollars that she wants to give to people who refuse to do anything for themselves.�Could not have been said any better !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

I don't think he meant it in regards to earning power, moreso in regards to how women and men tend to react to things differently. The whole "I just want you to listen, don't try to fix it" thing just seems a little strange to us. I think I heard �violin music play while I read it.�Believe me, we have heard concertos from you..time for you to listen for a change.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

"Was this written in 1955?"Americans worked less and could afford more and were quite happier. So, I say,��nothing wrong with bringing a little�bit of 1955 back

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Well, Horatio, come one - do you have a wife?� Don't tell me she wouldn't mind you dropping money at a strip club.� I think they are pretty pathetic.As for us being more intuitive and empathetic, well, okay.....................................if you put it like that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

That's not very nice.� You don't have to make it personal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

Even FOH can't defend the thoughts in this editorial.� He's just promoting racist, sexist literature.� I think men are just as "emotional" as women and that's why white men have more domestic violence charges than any other race.� Angry white men are serial rapists and mass murderers.Time to take a deep breath and lighten up a little..........don't ya think!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

Some things about the good old days were better, many things were not.� Sometimes we romanticize times gone by and look at them through rose colored glasses.� That said, you are correct that our way of life was in many ways better - but I would not give up the opportunities I have had and that my daughters will have that they wouldn't have had back then, and I also would not want to turn the clock back on technological and medical advances.� I really love my computer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

True, but it is more acceptable for men to be emotional now than it used to be.� As someone else said, emotional and rational are not mutually exclusive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

You are the one who started this thread about anger and it angered a lot of people.� Don't blame me for being angry about it.� Your 'angry white man' is no different from men of color and�he�isn't that different from angry women either.� The whole thing sounds so contrived.� Elitist.� White supremecist. Giraffe, are you "losing it"? I didn't start this thread. After you posted the ridiclous statement "Angry white men are serial rapists and mass murderers.", I replied to you suggesting that you take a deep breath and lighten up. So by telling you to lighten up, I'm an elitist and white supremecist? There is only one person expressing anger in this tread. Look in the mirror.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

No problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

I realize the statement I previously responded to wasn't a personalattack against me (or anyone else) but I resent the implication thatwomen are emotional and, therefore, we cannot be rational.

When people get emotional, they tend to get irrational too. Women are much more emotional than men.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

Every description of this hard working, oil changing, family loving mancan be applied to people of color also.� Who said that white men arethe only men who care?� This sounds like more KKK drivel.

I think that the term "angry white man" can be used as a metaphor for any self-respecting, self supporting and responsible american man who supports his family, raises his children properly and treats his wife with respect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

It's just another way of diverting the truth.� Men are far more emotional and irrational.��Wait for the next war and decipher who is emotional or not.Men can be blamed for the wars because it is men who historically have decided the courses of nations.I do not buy into this idea that if women were running the world, we wouldn't have wars. We may have fewer wars because men have more agression but there would be wars, they would just be for different reasons.
    A little story which I believe is microcosmic: When I was in my very early twenties I had a girlfriend. Both my girlfriend and I had our group of friends, she had like six girls she hung with and I had my six or seven guy friends. Whenever one of us hosted a party, some of her friends would bring this or that guy that she was seeing at the time and that guy would bring some of his friends. Conversely one or two of my guy friends would bring this or that girl that he was seeing at the time and she might bring a friend or two.
    By the end of the evening any guy that had been brought by one of my girlfriend's friends would be a friend of my friends and I. Drunken handshakes and back slapping aplenty!
    Whereas the girls would be scowling at each other all night. It wouldn't even have been unusual to hear the "C" word� being bandied about. Very catty!
    Men may be more agressive but they are also much less petty and are more apt to get along. Of course this is just an observation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamalie. Show mamalie's posts

The Angry White Man is nothing but a bigot in all sense of the word.� This article was Hubbell's way of sucking in the bigots and have them cheering at the end.� Nasty!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from uspatrio1. Show uspatrio1's posts

All men, black or white, take it on the chin as far as their image goes on sitcoms and commercials. The male messes things up, the wife comes in and saves the day and the audience guffaws.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

You want to talk about discrimination....Look at this, another�slight to men��

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisy1. Show daisy1's posts

I'd like to chirp in here if you don't mind.�� I�agree there are some commercials that depict the image your trying to confirm here, but here is where I think your wrong.� The commercials that make fun of guys are one of two things......selling to steriotypical womens products once in a blue moon, but the vast majority of the commercials you refer to are actually selling to the man.....biggest examples.....pizza and beer.�� I do recall Dishnetwork making fun of guys trying to deal with reception issues, but once again, they were poking fun of themselves and most of the commercials are widely appreciated by their targets, men.� You never see this with serious products.� I can't recall the product being advertised, but about a year or two past, there was a very funny commercial showing three�guys in an office doing very little of anything.� The sole women put together the work product and�at the end, the three guys took credit for it.�� Maybe this�was one of the examples you�were thinking of, but you know I've had the exact thing happen to me more times then�I can count and I still laughed at it.� � �

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from daisy1. Show daisy1's posts

I just responded to that and gave examples.� The majority are for male targeted consumers.� If you feel there are others, be give examples.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msts-1. Show msts-1's posts

I would agree that TV has the power to dumb you down, but not just white males. My daughter is only five but she already can see the pattern set by advertisement for women. I explained the pattern to her and we laugh at how women are supposed to be young, thin and want jewelry. Her question at Christmas was, "What is the big deal with jewelry?". She also "knows" that men are dumb and only want pizza and beer. She also knows that both stereotypes are bogus and because her father fits nicely into the original post's paragraph 4-13, but is not angry, he will make sure she and her siblings do not fall into the trap of letting advertisement dictating who and what they should be and makes sure that when they see people the find out who they are, rather than what they are. Advertisement is not a good indicator of the norm or the best way to function. It is aimed at the selfish nature of people. Advertisement is the prime function of TV, with TV shows used as a break and a draw to get people to watch ads. I wouldn't even advocate watching TV for any reason, even to prove a point I had to make. I would add that I believe that TV and its "educational" programs have done more harm than good, as a whole. I think that the drive to make education fun is improper, that learning should be viewed as work, not fun and that entertainment as education is detrimental. I see�small children put off of subjects that require work because of different aptitudes becaus the learning is no longer fun and they have been conditioned to have fun as they learn. There may be no correlation between the two, but regardless of race or income, reading and math scores began to decline most sharply after the introduction of Sesame Street in 1967. �

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from meterman2. Show meterman2's posts

I would add that I believe that TV and its "educational" programs have done more harm than good, as a whole. I think that the drive to make education fun is improper, that learning should be viewed as work, not fun and that entertainment as education is detrimental. I see�small children put off of subjects that require work because of different aptitudes becaus the learning is no longer fun and they have been conditioned to have fun as they learn. There may be no correlation between the two, but regardless of race or income, reading and math scores began to decline most sharply after the introduction of Sesame Street in 1967. Interesting observation. �I'm old enough to pre-date Sesame Street in my childhood as well as cable TV, video games, pre-school, after-school programs�and much of the other technology we now have. I have no doubt that most of todays children are hindered by their mordern circumstances. We had to read, play games, use our imagination and make freinds. Daytime TV was not allowed in our house. We walked to and from school and played sports afterward. If I had cable TV and video games then I would have never wanted to leave the house.� I truly believe�a lot of kids today are under developed because of this. At ten, we were reading Mark Twain and Robert Louis Stevenson, today ten year olds are playing "ultimate kick boxing" on playstation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from msts-1. Show msts-1's posts

It is funny you mention X-box. We want to legislate diet in America and at the same time we need TV spots that encourage putting your kid outdoors to play. I went back and forth with a friend over video games and I argued that kids are not playing in any sense when they "Play" those games. They are, instead, entertaining themselves. My thinking is that entertainment is passive, playing active. When kids play those games, they are just watching a self-directed movie where all the action is scripted and has a limit, even if large, of possibilities, while geniune play does not.

Sections
Shortcuts