Are you an override mom?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Are you an override mom?

The Globe used the phrase "override mom'' in a March 2áfront-page story that generated strong reaction from readers. Override moms are sort of like soccer moms, with economics on the brain. They're suburban women who are lobbying for millions in property tax increases to pay for teachers, new school buildings, and classroom gear.
    Today the Globe ran a story about the heated responses to the story and the trend.
    Are you an override mom? What do you think about that phrase?
    What do you think about override moms (or dads) getting involved in lobbying for tax increases in your community?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

The kinds of taxes these people are advocatingáshould only apply to community members who have children in the affected school sysytem. Why should childless individuals or couples pay increased taxes for services that they don't use?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from megan. Show megan's posts

Are you an override mom?

Here's a brilliant idea: if you don't want to pay for top notch schools, move to New Hampshire or someplace in Massachusetts with a low tax base and crappy schools.á Don't live in a town that is known for having good schools and other amenities, and then moan about it when you're asked to pay for them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgrrl. Show patsgrrl's posts

Are you an override mom?

I am sooo tired of people advocating any kind of increased taxes when there is the kind of absolute waste in federal, state and local governments.á I have a son who will be going to school soon, and yes, I want him to have great library facilities, and wonderful teachers, and enriching programs, and you know what?á I am perfectly willing to pay extra for these opportunities.á But I certainly do not expect the city to just hike everyone's taxes to pay for it, when homeowners are already struggling just to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads!á I want to start a new movement of Moms demanding an end to all the abuses - you can't tell me that there is no other way to trim expenses and find money for what is important to everyone. Clearly, these women have the means to pay increased taxes, so why don't they just take up collections among themselves to fund these programs? Or put your kid in private school.á It offends me as a mother for these limousine liberals to expect everyone else, including elderly and childless couples, to be forced to pay for their children's educations.á They make me even more committed to opposing ANY override.And I am sooo sick of these towns threatening to close libraries and lay off teachers unless an override goes through.á Are you kidding me?á The ONLY way Saugus can pay its bills is by closing the library?á Cut the fat, trim the dead wood, whatever you call it, there is so much waste in government I bet half the jobs in any given city/town hall could be eliminated and nobody would even notice.á Instead of trying to force overrides to fund a broken system, how about applying that energy to fixing the system to begin with!!á

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonvlad. Show bostonvlad's posts

Are you an override mom?

Just another example of the liberal mentality

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bowl. Show bowl's posts

Are you an override mom?

If this person is in favor of higherátaxes then I will gladly give her my increasedá tax bill to pay when it comes....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from delislave. Show delislave's posts

Are you an override mom?

Who are these morons that would vote to raise their own taxes.á If these people want to pay more, go right ahead and pay it. But don't even think about raising mine. As long as our bloated government is handing out freebies to the non-working class. And paying for sex change operations for prisoners how dare you ask me to pay more. Go vote for Obama cause it makes you feel good about yourself, and leave me the hell alone.Screw all you liberals.á

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Are you an override mom?

You are so right, patsgrrl. I think the schoolsáhave becomeávery poor money managers, and they have gotten away with using blackmail to raise money for far too long. Why should they even try when they can always suck more cash out of struggling taxpayers by threatening to cut teachers, sports, music and the library? Maybe these Moms who have enough time to stand on street corners begging could be more helpful by doing some research on how the schools can perhaps "make-do" with double the money from me over the last seven years.For example, In my town, they lobby to replace books and computers based on how old they are, rather than any measure of usefullness. My blood still boils when I think of the amount of money that was needed to replace thousands of computers in 2007 because they were purchased in 2003! They published a list of these computers by school, room number and purchase date so there was no way to tell what they really were. I'm sure they did need a few more modern machines and peripherals, but this was a huge waste. I know as I sit here typing this on my very useful computer that I purchased in 2003. The same is true for texts, especially in this age of readily available information. The history book only goes to the end of the Clinton administration? Do a research project on the Internet. And things like math, grammar and literature don't change ever, so why not get a few new books when a few wear out, forget "editions". [someone else can worry about publishing companies]. When I was in school, the nuns actively solicited used-on-one-side paper and any other useful throw-aways from parents and local business.á Any new paper was usually brown, andábleached white paper was reserved only for the final copy of very important work. We were constanly being urged to bring in this or that needed item. I was taught that it was a sin to waste trees by wasting paper. We were given stern lectures if caught wasting food and this included throwing compostable items like banana peels into the trash can! I learned all of this as cheaply as possibleáin school in the 1960's! á

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonwombat. Show bostonwombat's posts

Are you an override mom?

To cptleigh,For the same reason that I pay money into Social Security and Medicare that I (I'm in my Early 30s) will never get to use. It is a Social Contract in this country to supportáa public education of all children, independent of whether you never had, have not yet had, or have grown children. I can understand voting against them if you don't agree with them, but there is no way that we should start picking and choosing what part of taxes we should pay for town services.If I think that the chance of a House Fire is marginal, should I be able toáopt out of the Fire Protection and reduce my taxes?If I am not yet Senior Citizen, should I be able to reduce the taxes I pay since I don't use the Senior Center.If I can not swim, should I be able to opt out of the taxes teh go to the Town Rec. Dept. if my town runs a pool.Obviously this list could continue on and on, but I think my point is made. (Which you may not agree with, but thats okay)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

Instead of spending their time trying to raise other people's taxes, (who may not have the same means these people do)áwhy don't they volunteer their time at the schools' library or as a teacher's assistant?á Therefore, the schools do not need to pay for more employees, yet are getting the services they need without having to raise other people's taxes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

Liberals want everything...they just want everyone else to pay for theirs.á In most cities and towns, the beaurocracy within the school systems could be eliminated to pay for teachers, school buses and after school programs.á I recently read that 30 years ago there were 3 teachers for every beaurocrat, Now it is the opposite, 3 beaurocrats for every teacher.á Until you have cut every penny of waste out of every level of government, do not come trying to take food out of my childrens mouths.áá If local gevrments cannot figure out where to cut, then have some local business people show them.á Let's also look at the outrageous retirements we pay government employees as well as the sham going on where we have to buy out thousands of dolloars of sick pay every time one of them retires.á It should be standard practice that municipal employees do not get any pay or benefit that the majority of the people that pay their salary (taxpayers) do not get themselves.áá Let's look at all the waste in this state.á Police collecting overtime to stand around drinking coffee on details.á Most others states save by using flagmen on straight time, but Massachusetts supposedly knows something no one else does.á Every time I see three guys standing while one guy digs, I kn that if they worked where I do, there would be only one of them employed.ááá Why do we as taxpayers have to pay for public relations positions within city and state government,á These position could be eliminated at the savings of millions statewide.áá How much do we pay in fuel so that state police can drive their cruiserrs home and to work.á Why can't they drive their own vehicle to work like local police do.á There are just a few, so don't tell me there isn't anywhere to cut costs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielbuckley. Show danielbuckley's posts

Are you an override mom?

if schools are so short on money, and these moms have so much free time to wave signs and agitate for tax increases......do you see where i am going here?á perhaps there is a more constructive use of their time.

the sad fact is that these suburban voters are largely republicans, who vote for idiotic candidates at the state and federal level who promise not to raise taxes.á but they just don't understand that the trickle-down of funds that helps ease the burden on local cities to pay for their schools are nearly eliminated by the same tax-cutting morons they put into office.

and to all those on this board railing against taxes generally:á first off, taxes are drastically lower than at any other time of war in our history; they've never been so low (the top bracket during WW2 were paying in excess of 80%) secondly, you can't rail against taxes AND a lack of services.á do you ride the T?á drive on the interstates?á appreciate clean air and water? ever received a student loan?á like safe bridges?á tax money at work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsl423. Show rsl423's posts

Are you an override mom?

We have government waste, a governor who promised change and hasn't delivered, and unions with spectacular pensions and health benefits.á Is this something new in this state?

Nothing drives me crazy like a McMansion owner planting a sign supporting an override on their front lawn.ááá Mabye they don't, but I need every dime I've got.á I can't just add a room onto the house and stash the nanny there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from highlander85. Show highlander85's posts

Are you an override mom?

tell me where, specifically, can more cuts be made.á don't throw out flamatory statements that can't be backed up with specifics.áá School costsá go up every year.á Do you know what it cost to run one school?á heat, electricity phone and internet.á If i recall gas prices keep going up. Also, health care costs keep going up , which many towns are focre to pass on the rises to their employees and retirees.á Do you want your firemen using outdated equipment, or policemen not being able to respond to situations because they lack sufficient personnel to cover all of the areas of your town.áá Childless people aren't just supporting everyone else's children, they are supporting the future of the town. Maybe that child will become a mayor of the town, or fireman, policeman, teacher,or city planner that will keep your town moving into the future instead of falling back into the dark ages.á If you love your TOWN so dearly than support it, if not, move into a town with a cheaper tax base.áá You talk about people wanting free rides from their government, but aren't people who don't want to pay more taxes for services expecting a free ride from their towns.á A free ride that will somehow force towns to come up with revenue when there is none there and the cost of doing anything keeps rising.á So, show me specifically where the waste is in a town.á Teachers?police?Firemen?Trash Collection?Clean Drinking Water, etc.......áPost

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

Republicans????á This is Massachusetts,á Republicans are on the endangered species list in Massachusetts.á I realize that taxes are necessary, but goverment has a responsibilty to spend wiseley and within its means.á

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danielbuckley. Show danielbuckley's posts

Are you an override mom?

yeah, republicans in MA; i know its unfortunate that they're here, but what can you do.á until patrick, we'd had repub governors since the early 90s.á and check out the MA congressional districts:á set up by democrats, they are gerrymandered to ensure the republican suburbs are diluted by democrat-leaning urban districts.á check out the voting totals in the primaries, more boston suburbs went for mccain or romney than obama or clinton.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

The prior post told you where specific cuts can be made and you choose not to listen.á Flagmen instead of 3 officers on details, policemen driving their own vehicles to work instead of the taxpayers paying for their gas, no PR people for towns etc etc.á Get your head out of your *ss and listen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from timmah. Show timmah's posts

Are you an override mom?

Overrides do nothing but reinforce out of control spending in municipalities.á TRIM THE FAT.á GET RID OF THE HACKS.á DOUBLE UP ON STATE/COUNTY/TOWN JOBS.á Have municipal employees pay more of their health insurance like the rest of us.á Fight out of control energy costs by keeping public buildings cooler.áá Who needs to sweat in the winter.á á These moms needs to stop taking our money and should focus on all the waste that is out there instead.ááI WILL NEVER BE AN OVERRIDE MOM!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from llibgib. Show llibgib's posts

Are you an override mom?

I fully agree. There MANY places in addition to what you mentioned viz. police,á firemen & public employees driving a public car, etc., etc., etc.,áá I can afford to pay for an override. But WHYá should we when there are a nuimber of areas where cuts can be made
    When I was in school, a thousand years ago, there were 30 plus students in a class. I received an excellent education, went on & received a 1/2 scholarship to B.C.High & graduated from Boston College.áá (Dean's List in the Senior Year) Yeah, you all guessed it I am older not OLD!ááááá And to those teachers, & soccer moms who sayáá "Well times have changed", I say they need to change ALSO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Please don't throw the people of -->-->Randolph-->--> in with these other towns. And I am highly offended by Barbara Anderson accusing us of expecting a private school education on your dime. She obviously doesn't know or CARE about our situation. I'd likeáA foreign language at our Middle School and some choice of a language at the high school (there's 1 currently). I'd like the high school to maintain its accreditation. I'd like our elementary kids to have music, art and gym more than 2 times a month next year. You know, like YOU all did. I'd like some of the 83 positions cut over the past 5 years restored. I'd like the high school kids to have enough classes available to them so they don't have a day with 3 studies in it. I'd like to see our Science curriculum in line with the state standards for the kids that have to pass Science MCAS this year for graduation in 2 years. I'd like to see the 2 schools we've closed over the past couple of yearsástill be open so class sizes aren't upwards of 30. I'd like the state to not put us in receivership. We don't HAVE BU as -->-->Chelsea-->--> did. -->-->The state needs to figure out a different way of funding schools or perhaps create more regional districts. They also are supposed to review the funding formula periodically.áThey haven't done that.áThe state doesn't want to take us over, they don't know what do to with us and these other towns are just a step or two away from us.áThey don't want to set a precedent of bailing out towns, especially by rewarding one that hasn't taken care of itself. -->-->So we are looking for other solutions, but in the meantime, we're using what's available to us. And I believe all of our PTO's could become professional fundraisers in another life. How do you fundraise a loss of $12 million dollars over the past 5 years? Volunteer?áI don'táwant a volunteer teaching my children chemistry. So we are busy. Most people will spend more money shoving it into a kid's can or buy candy, or kitchen items and any of the other HUNDREDS of items for a school fundraiser you never use, but won't fund something you can write off on yourátaxes? So you'd all like 'pay as you go' government? Then I should go get my portion of the police andáfire money that was used to protect your family at your fire that I haven't had or ambulance that you used that I didn't? -->-->No children or children grown? Someone paid for you and yours!-->-->-->á-->á

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gwill. Show gwill's posts

Are you an override mom?

The s**#@! gonna hit the fan in the next couple of years when inflation really takes hold of the town's budgets.á Then what? - Prop 4 and a half?Towns need to get into the business ofáconducting their affairs more efficiently.á Any creative ideas need investigation.á Solutions don't come easy and without rational discussion, but to roll over and accept further tax assessments is not acceptable any more.People talk about the elderly with fixed incomes, but it's not just the elderly.á There are plenty of working class people who don't have a penny left over at the end of the month!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 02seapinescc. Show 02seapinescc's posts

Are you an override mom?

I had several specifics in my post, as did others. Did you read anything here or are you just spouting your uninformed opinion? My 4200 + is certainly no free ride.

Most towns get the Internet for free in with their local cable contract. Police, Fire and the other minimal services provided to everyone are a very tiny percentage of any town's budget. The schools spend the lion's share of every tax dollar - in my town its nearly 90% and like many places, we have no government trash collection. The schools need to find a way to conserve. How about some educational windmills or solar panels or even simpler steps like improving weatherization and stopping all the waste?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

No one paid for mine....other than my parents who sent all six of us to private school (and might I add never got a tax break).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

People just don't get.á CUT THEW WATE, oncle that id done, present to me as a taxpayer a reasobale rational explanantion of why my taxes need tro be raised, then I will accept an increaee.á Right now btween income tax, SS tax, medicaire tax, gas tax, sales tax, excise tax, registration fees, license fees, tolls, property tax I pay 65% of my pay to taxes.á That leaves 35% to feed my family, pay all my insurance requirments, keep my family housed and warm and try to save to send my chidren to college.á So where does the money come from, I just can't pull it out of my @$$.á I have nothing left at the end of each week.á I take a bag lunch to work every day, dirve an older vehicle and do not get to take vacations...but you want me to pay more taxes....you can't get blood from a rock!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonwombat. Show bostonwombat's posts

Are you an override mom?

I agree with you that there is alot of wasted money in any goverment. But nobody in elected positions is willing to take money from police and firemen. Schools are easy for two reasons. 1) They are the largest budget in most towns. 2) Only 25% on average of a town's population uses the schools so it limits opposition to cuts. Admittedly, I am a pulic school teacher so I do have a dog in the fight so to speak. But towns can't hire flagmen instead of details. State Law. Schools are requiredáby Federal Law to fund Special Education rules that some (emphais on the some) parents and students take total advantage of. The MCAS exam is Federally mandated but not Federally Funded. I agree that the towns needs to limit waste were they can, and should have some fees in place. I agree with Sport, Busingáand Acitivities Fees. Not all students takeuse these programs and they are not part of the "education", so the studnents who do take part in them should foot some of the bill. But a town is unable to control the money they have to spend to meet Federal and State mandates. Until the electorate starts voting for people that will changeáand/or fundáthese mandates, they have to acknowledge that the town has two choices for educational funding. 1) Raise more revenue (What ever way works for the town. Natick has the Mall, Foxborough has the Stadium, Medfield has a crazy tax rate) to fund these additionalácosts. 2) Cut back on everything that isánot part of the mandate and accept theáconsequences (Teacher turnover,ápoorly preforming students,ágeneral decease in Education all around.)á The former choice hurts at The Tax Bill, the latter hurts when you go to sell.Up to towns/people to decide.á