Are you an override mom?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kalajen. Show kalajen's posts

Are you an override mom?

Here's an even more brilliant idea...try educating yourselves about all the money that gets wasted by your local government.á It varies from one community to the next but may include things like sick leave buybacks, longevity bonuses, overpaying for health care costs (a big one).áá There is an appalling lack of oversight on all types of governemnt spending.á Cities and towns need to get together and see where they can combine services and take a regional approach where feasible.á The most important thing they need to do is fight state and federal unfunded mandates.á If the state or feds are going to force cities and towns to implement their latest hairbrained scam to control education or anything else, they should be responsible for paying for it, period.

Only when government starts acting fiscally responsible will I agree to pay more in taxes without a fight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gwill. Show gwill's posts

Are you an override mom?

I love that picture of the lady driving the sign into her front yard!á I hardly think she's got any problems paying more taxes.á Go Wayland!á Those scare tactics seem to be working in that neighborhood...but not mine!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

A choice made by your parents. Good for them, I'm glad they could afford it. Most people don't have that luxury. Perhaps if they had invested in the public school, they would have been able to implement whatever programs your parents felt the private had that the public was lacking and then ALL of the children in your town could have had the benefit. Unless, of course, they sent you for the religious education aspect. We know what's going on here. We have the highest rate of private school kids in our area, and people continue to say they can't afford the override. It's a heck of a lot cheaper thanátuition. Your reduced enrollment took money away from the Chapter 70 funding the town would have received. They also had a choice to send you all to either another town that has choice or a charter school, which personally, I'm glad they didn't because it takes more money away from the local public school. Another situation the state has created. Look, I'm not looking to argue over the 'private school, public school' scenario. By law, a town HAS to have a public school. What people choose to do is their own business, but we are obligated to provide a basic education to these kids, which they currently don't have. Maybe you could work on that tax break for private school people. It would only help us, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

Like I said earlier...if the moms want so badly to make things better for their kids, let them donate their TIME....not donate other people's money.á Let me tell you...they would not be so quick to speak if they were being asked to donate their time.á Too busy shopping and having lunches withe girls while their corporate husbands make too much money for doing not so much work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

Are you an override mom?

Both my daughters wentáthrough an excellent public school system, and benefitted from that wonderful enriching experience.á They are well balanced and got into great colleges.á Now, one has graduated from college with honors and the younger one is a senior in college, and on track to graduate Phi Beta Kappa.á I'm paying for a college loan.á The loans were consolidated into one.á My daughters are no longer in the public school system, but they are still benefitting from having been there.á I now no longer haveáchildren in the public school system, and I am paying off a large college loan, but I supported two recent overrides in town related to school buildings.á I will continue to support education related overrides.á It is pleasant to interact with children & youths who are excited about their future & who will be competing with people all over the earth, and I know they'll be the best.á My feeling is that people, who do not have children yet, or who will never have children, or whose children are older than school age would be well advised to consider someone besides themselves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

Towns cannot hire flagmen because alláour politicians have no stones.á They are in bed with the unions.á They are more concerned with placating the unions membership than for the taxpayers that pay their salaries.á Yet the people of Massachusetts continues to re-elect these useless idiots.á They know that they will not get re-elected without the unions help, so to hell with the taxpayers.á How about we RE-ELECT NO ONE, then we won't have to worry about spineless politicians.And again, I will gladly consider a tax increase to support schools, the minute AFTER ALL WASTE in government has been eliminated.á Why should I pay for a tax increase, when money is being wasted in one area of the municipality could be easily transferred elsewhere...as they do when they under fund the snow removal budgets every year.á Here in Wilmington, most of the politicains, especially the board of selectmen, is there solely to insure that their local businesses will not be adversley affected b y legislation, but the town keeps re-electing the same morons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Oh and you didn't have these things?

I DID! I created an After-School program for foreign language at $175.00 per semester. It's PUBLIC SCHOOL people, not 'those that can afford it can take the language class'. So now we're into offering opportunities and separating kids by ecomonic status? I thought that was called private school.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

They did, in fact, send me for the religious and moral aspect.á The public school in the town I grew up in is within the top 20 in the state.á I'm just saying that not everyone utilizes the school system and yet all have to pay for it.á And now I'm being told they want to increase my taxes again, when they cannot even manage what they have now properly.á Give me a break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

MCAS may be federally mandated, but I still pay federal taxes as well, 28% of my salary.á So is 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from swimmerkennedy. Show swimmerkennedy's posts

Are you an override mom?

Hey MeganTo generalizeáNew Hampshire as having "crappy schools" is so typical of the Latte-drinking, Prius- driving communists. Yet on the politcal landscape these same liberals (i.e. Obama crowd) say they're for the middle class citizen, right after they insult them.I'll match my school system here in Durham (#1 in NH) against Wayland any day of the week.áá

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1092247363. Show 1092247363's posts

Are you an override mom?

And we could eliminate the biggest sham in Massaqchusetts, county government.á Some time when you buy a home or refinace, take a look at how much money you pay to the county for bogus recording changes.á Every level of county government in Massachusetts could be rolled into local ans state governement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m13oram. Show m13oram's posts

Are you an override mom?

Almost every year Groton Dunstable Regional asks the two towns for an over ride to pay for the school system. They never get it because taxes payers feel offended when they are already giving a sizeable amount of money to their town and the town asks for more. And how can our superintendant of schools (Dr. Alan Genovese) in good faith ask for more money when he takes a 7% raise on his salary. Schools need to start running more efficiently and cutting the wasteful spending from their budgets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjgoggin. Show bjgoggin's posts

Are you an override mom?

Why don't the Mom's get a job and donate their money for all of us.

Also, the kids should be taught three things reading writting and math.

Finally, let's cut the goverment jobs be fore we cut services to schools!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mak1. Show mak1's posts

Are you an override mom?

Republicans?á LOL!á There's like 5 Republicans in this state.We'd actually be better off if there was more political balance in Massachusetts.á Taxes would be lower as money would be better spent.á There'd be more competition for ideas as well.á Also fewer crazy court rulings and whacky bills coming from the state house.The blame for that can be placed squarely at the feet of Massachusetts voters, most of who think that they'll burn in hell if they vote Republican.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eflynn28. Show eflynn28's posts

Are you an override mom?

Hey smart*ss...I do donate my time....do you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

That's why I am so passionate about this. Other than the healthcare issue that all towns are struggling with, I am very confident there is no fat in this town. We've been making cuts to all departments or level funding theirábudgetsáfor 5 years. We have a very good Finance Committee. You knowáwhen department budgets haven't used their full budget, they return it to the town coffers at the end of year for 'free cash'? WE DON'T HAVE ANY!á It adds to the fiscal instability of a town and can impact the town's bond rating for future borrowing. It's not a good thing to have budgets so tight they squeek. There's nothing there for any emergencies.I have no problem with town employee's receiving a raise. I do! And you know who suffers? All the town employee's who aren't in one of the unions because Town Meeting can say 'no' to them and they have continually because it's the only thing they have control over.áThey know these people, they're our neighbors. They know they work very hard and are all good people. If there are any savings anywhere, our school department has sought it out. Our schools buy in bulk with other districts.This is our 4th attempt - What young family that wouldákeep the town vibrantáor what business is going to want to come to a town where the high school has lost its accreditation? It means you don't take care of your kids, it means the education isn't good enough and once you're designated, it can take up to 10 years to get it fully back. They've already told us, if we do not get resources into the high school, we will lose it. They're just waiting for 8:00 PM April 1st~! Three outside agencies have audited our schools. They all say the same thing, and it's not an indictment of the teachers, the administrators or the kids. They specifically changed the wording, 'the Town' is not doing enough for their kids. You can lose accreditation for 'lack of community support'. That means $$$$$.Property values have already gone south. You should see the number of homes up for sale. My neighbors took over a year to sell their home and had to reduce the price a hundred thousand! They probably still made something considering what they paid for it many years ago, but I think you get my point.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seekrnh. Show seekrnh's posts

Are you an override mom?

Maclen, As a former NH resident now living in South Dakota I only have one thing to say...welcome to the club. Residents in NH have been struggling for far too many years trying to findáa way to pay the school bill. Or even what that bill should be. I feel as you that parents need to take more responsibility for their childs education. As citizens of any town we all prosper when children advance into strong, intelligent adult hood. However, as it is the responsibility of the parent to house, feed and clothe...it is also their responsibility to educate. To continue this thought it has always been my feeling that the town as a whole should be responsible for the infrastructure of eduction, ie; schools and their support system, however curriculm and personnel should be the responsibility of those who actually "use" the school. áWhile the outcry that the cost to raise a child is already very high can be heard both far and near, the question must be asked? Whos' child is this anyway?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

Or conversely, if you want your kid to go to a top notch school, take your money and send them to private school.

Problem solved.á The taxpayers don't need to finance $200 million schools designed by world famous architects and the moms and dads can provide their kids with a top notch education that they want.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctx126. Show ctx126's posts

Are you an override mom?

Excellent point!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

They are not only voting to raise their own taxes, but they are voting to have the rest of the property owners in town finance Chad and Chloe's educational experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

How about we cut out the Natick Organic farm from the town budget and use that money toward teachers and other services that these people want.á No town needs a taxpayer subsidized organic farm if they need money for other things.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

Why would it be well advised for me to consider the well being of your children?

It's not someone else's responsibility to pay for your kid's education.á That's your responsibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

Yes, we do all pay for services we don't use. Believe me, I already pay high enough taxes for those unused services. As it is, Iáwork two jobs just to make ends meet. And, though we had originally wanted them, myáhusband and I decided that we would not have kids because we could not afford them.ááSo, I'd rather not pay even higher taxes that have been advocated by these "override parents". I really shouldn't have to give up my home and move somewhere else or get a third jobájust because Iácan no longeráafford the taxes in my town. áUnfortunately, if my taxes are increased much further, that's what it might come to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from putt230. Show putt230's posts

Are you an override mom?

i'm looking to buy a home in newton/wellesley area.á the only reason why i am willing to pay the extra $ is the school systems.á everyone who owns a home in these towns benefits from the top condition of the school system.á if the schools turn to crap and lose services and programs.... ultimately the premium people are willing to pay to live in those towns will go down.á even if you don't have kids, you benefit from funding the schools via taxes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

So the "larger society" needs $200 million schools built like the one in Newton?

Public services don't need to "the best", they just need to be adequate.á If people want "the best", then they should go out and pay for it themselves.