Are you an override mom?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

The key word in your post is that most people don't have that "luxury".á That's the point.á If you can't afford the "luxury", why are you entitled to it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Right on the money ('scuse the pun)!

Do you know how much of our tax dollars have gone to schools, on average, over the past 5 years? $2.37!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

You mean we're not going to get any of the tax relief he promised in his campaign? Oh, heavens!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msantos1116. Show msantos1116's posts

Are you an override mom?

Gotta love the internet:

You said this " check out the voting totals in the primaries, more boston suburbs went for mccain or romney than obama or clinton."

ANd I just did, and you are completely wrong unless you want to point out what towns cast more votes for Republicans than Democrats.á Stop making things up, it only makes you look stupid.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/primaries/mass_primary_gop_results_by_town/

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/primaries/mass_primary_dem_results_by_town/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Um, excuse me. I'máin Randolph. We don't have $200 million dollar schools.áThe only time a debt exclusion passed in the town wasáto re-vamp our Middle School and it ain't no Taj Mahal.áWe got 86% back from the state building fundáand we're still receiving the payments. People cry 'close the Middle School'! Okay, then we'll stop receiving the 1/2 million dollars a year we get because it's no longer being used as a school, one of the criteria for reimbursement.áSTUPID!More responsible for their children's education? What planet do you people live on? Public School: it's the law!And not that it's any of your business, I do have 1 in private, 2 in public. á

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

Maybe I do use the school system indirectly. But, believe me, I already pay high enough taxes for that indirect association. As it is, Iáwork two jobs just to make ends meet. And, though we had originally wanted them, myáhusband and I decided that we would not have kids because we could not afford them.ááSo, I'd rather not pay even higher taxes that have been advocated by these "override parents". I really shouldn't have to give up my home and move somewhere else or get a third jobájust because Iácan no longeráafford the taxes in my town. áUnfortunately, if my taxes are increased much further, that's what it might come to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

On the converse --We should feel bad for you because you want a house you can't afford working 1 job. We shouldn't have children, you shouldn't want such a big house. Stupid argument? I agree, on BOTH SIDES of it. á

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from msommerville. Show msommerville's posts

Are you an override mom?

1970's an1980's mothers and faters too mucháof the best of everything for áthemselves and their children. They are willing to borrow againstá their retirement and childrens future. They think the unecessarily álarge home and cars are mandatory to keep up their self esteem and that of their kids. Why, their parents and grandparenst had none of it and didn't need it or want it. They went to whatáis now consider and over crowded school. Tthey gotá spanked and they had little of todays luxuries. And they were better off for it. They were better people. Now they want it all áfor their kids, at the expense of the older folks who know they do not need to pay higher taxes to have to better schools or a better life.á time spent with their kids, and more love, not more stuff is what they need .á tehya lso need to be taught that grades and SAT scores do not make the person. It is morals, work ethic,á and commitmentáto doing the right thing. our schools are fine. What is wrong is what the parents are teaching or not teaching our kids. Taxes do not need to be higher. Our commitment to spend time witháour kids to teach them the values of the greatest generation, values that our generatoin has lost is what we need. Do not bankrupt the older folks. Adopt their values and prosper. if we continue, and we toeach our children our philosophy, they will not take care of the old when the time comes.áBoth they andáour political system áwill be both morally and fiscally bankrupt.ááá

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

There's no need for you to be rude and call me un-American just because I have a different opinion than you. Voicing one's opinion, popular or not,áis as American as it gets.And, you missed my point. Whileáweáall pay for services we don't use or use indirectly,áI amáalready paying highátaxes.áAs it is, Iáwork two jobs just to make ends meet. And, though we had originally wanted them, myáhusband and I decided that we would not have kids because we could not afford them.ááSo, I'd rather not pay even higher taxes that have been advocated by these "override parents". There has to be a better way to raise the necessary funds. And, there needs to be a better way for the schools to be me cost effective and run more efficiently. I don't have the aswer to what those ways are, but I really shouldn't have to give up my home and move somewhere else or get a third jobájust because Iácan no longeráafford the taxes in my town. áUnfortunately, if my taxes are increased much further, that's what it might come to.
    áá

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Coffee -I'm assuming your town is in the midst of áOverride 101 -We've learned:1. as much as you want to make peopleáunderstand, don't waste your breath on the 'no' people. Don't convince, don't cajole, just DON'T.2. No permanent signage and no stand-outs - they remind people to vote 'no'. 3. Find your supporters and look for potential new ones.The 'maybe's' you can send info. to, but make sure you call them back. If they're a no, write them off and move on. 4. You may be able to pay for a copy of your student directory. The same one the military gets.5. Give a reminder call to your 'yes' and 'still maybe' folksáto get out the vote the weekend of.6. Election Day - Utilize Poll Checkers.If you'd like more info. e-mail me through this site.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

I don' t expect anyone to feel bad for me. I work two jobs so that I don't go into debt. And, my house isn'tábig; it's only 780 square feet (they don't come much smaller than that). But, it's mine andáI plan to keep it that way.I didn't say that people shouldn't want children. But, people whoádo have childrenáshouldn't expect their neighbors to bearátoo much of the financial burden.ááá

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

I didn't say that I didn't want any of my taxes to go to eduaction. I said "the taxes that these people are advocatingá...", which is to say that I don't want toáhave to payáadditional taxes.I'm not going to waste my time addressing the rest of you ramblings, except to ask, how can an opinion be un-American? People are American (or un-American), not their opinions.á

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

And this is where I have an issue with the people in my town that use the words 'children' and 'burden' in the same breath. I know you didn't, you said 'tax burden'. I'm saying this is what is saidáin my town and it makes me absolutely ill.á They don't want young families because they will be a 'drain on all the town services'. UGGGHHHHH!!!! You think I'm kidding, right? Nope.I thought it was against the law to hand pick who you'll allow in your town or as your neighbor? Isn't that what was done to minority families at one time?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Are you an override mom?

"Tax override mom is a perjorative phrase for individuals trying to stand up not just for their kids, but for the larger society.á"Actually, it's a term that is for individuals who are selfish - who want an increased property tax to get what they want, at the expense of others.á á

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

Iáagree with you regarding voting. It's our parents own fault that nothing they need happens because this generation doesn't VOTE! Only 19% of our parents cared enough about their own kids to vote last year. Now, I would say that if only approx. 25% of our parents were registered, and 19% voted,áthen that's a pretty good turnout. That's not the case. We also have a pretty different situation here. We are the most diverse community in the entire region.áWe have many legaláimmigrant families, not yet citizens, working hard, paying taxes, taking English lessons so they can help their children with homework, attend teacher conferences so they can understand what's being said, taking citizenship classes at night after working all day, etc. etc. etc. They CAN'T vote on one of the most important issues impacting their own kids.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from megan. Show megan's posts

Are you an override mom?

Well said, EvilOtto.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Are you an override mom?

"$2600 in property taxes on my house (199k in 2002.)"
    Hah - well I already paid more than double that last year. I'm fine with that.á However, á I never said I would vote no for every override.á Of course I would evaluate the needs/benefits.á I just thinks these "soccer moms" are selfish.á Period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Are you an override mom?

" I'd like A foreignlanguage at our Middle School and some choice of a language at the highschool (there's 1 currently). I'd like the high school to maintain itsaccreditation. I'd like our elementary kids to have music, art and gymmore than 2 times a month next year. You know, like YOU all did. I'dlike some of the 83 positions cut over the past 5 years restored. I'd like the high school kids to have enough classes available to them sothey don't have a day with 3 studies in it. I'd like to see our Sciencecurriculum in line with the state standards for the kids that have topass Science MCAS this year for graduation in 2 years. I'd like . . ."
    -->-->-->-->
    What these people want is a private school education, without having to pay for it.á

self╖ish áá áá/'s?lf??/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sel-fish] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation ûadjective 1.devotedto or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's owninterests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from llibgib. Show llibgib's posts

Are you an override mom?

"Six miles to school etc.á " As usual, when someone does not have a good response, they resort to sarcasm. Yes we have a huge debt, & it's going to become larger as long as this "president" continues his misguided policies. "America not respected etc.áááá " Again, what would you expect when we invade a sovereign country, kill their citizens, and at the same time lose over 3800 men in a war that should never have been declared. I fear for future generations, due to the debt, global warming, & a host of other things that have been ignored over the past seven years. However, perhaps you have a better solution.

ááááááá Best regards

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42Giants. Show 42Giants's posts

Are you an override mom?

Part of the problem here is the formula used for Chapter 70 really needs to be updated.Our governer took his time with regards to hiring a new director with a salary of over 200K a year and many of the cities and towns are in worse shape now than they were two years ago and things are only getting worse.á There should be a formula for cost per student in this state.á Not how much it cost to educate a child in Boston versus a child in Worcester.á They should be the same.á If it cost $1,500 a year to educate a student in this state, eachácity/town should get that amount times how many students are in the school system.á End of story...Each administrator, teacher, and principle, no matter what town you work in, should pay the same employeeáhealth insurance cost across the state.á The more students you have, the more money you get for funding. á The cost of special education services really take a toll on communities that need to send these children to other schools to get the special educational needs necessary for them.á 1/3 of the operating budget for our towns school transportation goes toward special education transportation costs.á These cost are funded by each town, not the state and cause a huge drain to community budgets.á The amount of monies given to communities for building maintenence, should be based on the needs of the communities.á(how many buildings and age of them)áWe have schools in this state that are in a horrible state of disrepair, but the state has given millions of dollars to fund Newton's new high school.á Which means, while our high school is in desperate need of new roof, we won't get that money from the state to get it.á But, it was okay for our state tax dollars to go to building a hotel style high school that my children will never even see.á What my kids will see is bucketsáplaced around a classroom to catch water making sure the 15 year old books don't get wet.á á Instead of having these, "I have way too much time on my hands" Mom's putting signs up, they should be using their time to resolve the issue with a state wide solution.á It is not just a problem in their community, it is a problem for EVERY community.áá AND IT'S ONLY GETTING WORSE PEOPLE....á

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

What I want is a comprehensive education that will allow my children a chance in this world, PERIOD!Look at the items! You never had these things in public school I suppose? Your high school wasn't accredited? You didn't have art, music, gym (remember JFK's medals for physical fitness?) or a foreign language? My public school 30 years ago had cooking and sewing and woodshop in elementary school DURING THE DAY! We had French beginning in 4th grade and continued it right through to high school. When we got to high school, we had the opportunity to take Italian, German, LATIN, Spanish. How many of you oldsters other than me out there remember that? Private school? Hardly.á

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubet. Show ubet's posts

Are you an override mom?

How about changing to 401K plans rather than more expensive pensions, eliminate the ridiculous benefit of "cashing in" sick days, gear retirement for 65 rather than 55, ....

In general, follow the same cost savings ideas that general industry has already incorporated into there business model.

edit to add: Do not allow free education to people in the country illegally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from marchingmom. Show marchingmom's posts

Are you an override mom?

OMG! I talked about this with our Superintendent. When there were 30-40 (or 60 depending on who you're talking to)ákids in a class back in 'the day', he said only 30% of them went on to high school. Only 30% of them graduated and then only 30% of them went on to college. That was also atá a time when there were trade schools for elementary kids! 'Special school' for special needs or they were stuck in a broom closet somewhere. The difference is the 30% that never made it to high school 'back then'ácould still make a living wage, buy a house, etc. etc. Can you imagine 30% of kids today not making it to high school? If these kids don't make itáout of high school, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell! As a matter of fact, if they don't go to some sort of higher education, their chances at a decent job are slim. Employers expect people to be life long learners, whether that's on-line courses or workshops or advanced degrees, they're expecting everyone to keep learning!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tinovr. Show tinovr's posts

Are you an override mom?

I love the lineá"private-school experience that they don't have to pay for themselves"... classic liberalism...My mom worked and my dad worked two jobs so I could go to Catholic HS...á Maybe these "override moms" should go work a second job (or maybe even a job, period) áto send their kid to private school.I'm all for giving my kids the best education they can get... and yes every property owneráin a town with a good school system reaps the rewards in the form of increased property values...á So there should be some investment in a towns educational system.á However, I would like to see the town government pinch their pennies for all expenses before going back to the property owners for overrides.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cptleigh. Show cptleigh's posts

Are you an override mom?

I wasn't whining. I was just stating my opinion. And, I don't have time to go out and hold signs. I have to work for a living, as do most of my neighbors.