Commuter rail blues - Newburyport/Rockport Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In the morning, we board in Swampscott. Pity the souls who board in Lynn and Chelsea.

Other than the obvious - another car is needed, or at least one other run between 7 and 9 am - let's talk passengers.

In each car, there are a couple of free seats (really, no more than that). As on the subway, the free seats are taken up by bags ... or ... air!

When my daughter, a little thing, aims for one of the free seats, I, the mother, am given looks by the passengers that could kill. Why? We don't smell (really!); our clothes are clean; my daughter is polite and quiet and reads through the next three stops, and (OK, I'm disturbed by GLiomas's post on overweight people on the T), and she doesn't take up much room.

God Forbid these commuters, who have the benefit of boarding earlier, should move aside and let her on the free seat without grimacing. God Forbid they should place they gym bags on the racks, or their purses on their laps.

I took the Green Line ("C") for 20 years before moving to the North Shore, and in all those years I never encountered a group of entitled train riders as I have the past year in Swampscott.

Hey, riders! You're paying for one seat, not your bag's, too!

I ask them (politely) for my daughter to have the free seat. You should hear the sighs that go up! (I stand - should I sit sometime without bathing first, just to annoy them?)

These passengers live in toney suburbs and have good jobs - but genteel, they are not!

(Thank you to the young woman with the wavy brown hair on Aug. 12, 2008, who gave up her seat to me so that I could sit next to my daughter. You were very kind.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

I believe your anger is a bit misplaced, having ridden that line for years, till I realized its not much more to drive and its more pleasent... most of the people are simply tired, to leave from Newburyport — where many people do, the train leaves much earlier, it takes about an hour to hit Lynn... However there are always rude people regardless of where you live.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTM. Show RTM's posts

I just climb right over them without saying a word. Don't like it? Don't hog 2 seats.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

There is no excuse for taking up two seats on a crowded train.

I am one who boards in Rockport. From Rockport to Manchester, my bag rests on the seat next to me. Sometime around Manchester or Beverly Farms, it moves to my lap. I try to have it moved there before anyone needs to ask.

It is common courtesy. One need only look around to gage how crowded the train is and whether the seats are needed.

I find it worse on the evening trains.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

It's not just Newburyport Rockpoort. I take the Providence line, boarding in Mansfield. I can't tell you how many people take up 2 or even 3 seats with their stuff or sprawling out to take a nap. Ask them to make space and they act like you've insulted them personally. One guy I saw this week (he looked to be in his 40s, well dressed, no punk kid) was lying across all 3 seats and when I was getting up to get off, he looked at me like a kid who is doing something wrong, daring me to ask him to move. I say if you insist that you are so important that you need 2 or 3 seats to yourself, pay for all those seats. I shouldn't have to ask at South Station for someone to move their bag so that I can sit in the seat--the bag shouldn't be there on rush hour trains. One last rant too about parents who drag their hot, tired, whiny kids onto rush hour trains, right before they leave and are shocked that there aren't seats available, or act like I should give up my seat for them. I've done so on occasion to allow a family to sit together, but I shouldn't have to end my work day standing on a train because some family didn't think about the fact that it's called the COMMUTER rail, not the TOURIST rail and boards a rush hour train.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote] One last rant too about parents who drag their hot, tired, whiny kids onto rush hour trains, right before they leave and are shocked that there aren't seats available, or act like I should give up my seat for them. I've done so on occasion to allow a family to sit together, but I shouldn't have to end my work day standing on a train because some family didn't think about the fact that it's called the COMMUTER rail, not the TOURIST rail and boards a rush hour train.[/Quote]

Good one. I once heard a woman complain loudly as she walked down the crowded aisle - "you'd think they'd sit together so people who are in pairs or threes can sit together!" In other words, why is there one person in each multiple seat? Well, duh - because it would be very weird for two strangers to crowd into one seat if there are open seats available. If you want to sit in a pair or three, board early.

Shall we discuss cell phones and food?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I have often sat many seats away from my daughter. We don't mind this. She knows where to find my seat if she needs me. When she was an infant/toddler/pre-schooler, of course she was on my lap.

One of you hit the nail on the head - some of these commuters make you feel badly for wanting one of the few free seats.

No, mhc, you shouldn't have to stand. I am sure you are like me - happy to do so for a pregnant; infirm or elderly.

I think part of the problem is, the work environment gives people so much to do, people can't get it all done at work and at home. So they use those free seats as their desk. A solution: how about a fold-down surface attached to the back of each seat, like they have on airplanes?
    AuntBeth - You are a very polite rider. Yes, "cell phones and food." Again, I think the food thing is work-related. America is being worked to death. Cell phones? Wasn't the commuter rail going to start running "quiet cars," like on Amtrak? I feel cell phone use in confined spaces should be limited to emergencies; to track a child walking to and from school; to let staff know one will be late in arriving to work. Not for yakety-yak.
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

Now the 441/442 buses - Is there any one of these I can take that does not have riders on it that swear up and down the entire journey? Although, coming in from Haymarket, that behavior stops once passengers have exited by the time we reach Central Square (and begins at Central Square, inbound). Also, too many riders, not enough buses. That line should be running every 30 minutes at night, not every hour. It should be running every 10 minutes during the day.
    mtbr - We are trying to leave a small carbon footprint. With the commuter rail and bus at our disposal, we think it best to do that for now. One day I may give in and get a car, but not now. But no, this rude behavior does not happen on the C, B, D and E lines - not that I witnessed in 12 years of living on the Green Line. Sometimes on the Red Line, not often. Orange Line passengers are delightful.

I think the problem is, there just aren't enough trains and buses running. And humans, as a species, enjoy spreading out as if they were at home.

A correction: I did once witness something on the Green Line (forget which one): while entering Park Street from the west, a young couple was making love - literally. She was atop is lap, her skirt up and his jeans open. **There** was an instance where I actually did want to stand elsewhere in the car!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

I used to make that miserable commute myself, from Newburyport... I now drive in every day and could never go back to the train, not even to save the money.

Sections
Shortcuts