Gym Pet Peeves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebelleza. Show ebelleza's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

How do people feel about gum chewing while they are working out at the gym? I go to the gym regularly (Planet Fitness in Waltham) and there's this one woman who is ALWAYS chewing gum. I'm not a gum chewer, its just not for me. I don't mind people chewing gum in general, but this one woman is constantly POPPING her gum during her workout. She listens to her iPOD but how can she not think no one else hears her? One afternoon I was on the ellipitcal machine for 15 minutes of a 30 minute set. She started using the one next to me to my right, started her workout and started Popping her gum every so often to the point it was just highly annoying. I almost got off my machine to jump on another but was already halfway through my workout.   Another day, i was on an exercise ball doing sit-ups, she just happens to start doing some stretches or whatever a few feet from me and starts POPPING her gum. It's loud and I find it annoying. I just want to move every time she is near me or give her dirty looks, but it's a crowded gym and I haven't noticed anyone else be annoyed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

How DARE that woman chew and pop gum while YOU are working out!!!!!  Doesnt she know that in such a public place that you are NOT to be annoyed??!!

Good grief woman!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBagUSA. Show TBagUSA's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

OMG....i agree.

People i can't stand at the gym:

1. Douchbag who walks around and talks to all the girls...lifts the 150 lb bicep curls, walks around and talks to more girls...repeat...

2. Minnie Mouse, the girl who is always on her phone...and loud about it.  The girl looks like a hybrid between Annette Founicello and Minnie Mouse

3.  Stinky who wears heavy sweater/sweatshirt in the gym...P.U....when was the last time it was washed?

4.  Peacock, who wears his sunglasses, designer Armadi shirt during the workout...very cool looking.  Also likes to walk the gym trolling for people to talk to.

5.  Grunter, who plays his mp3 player so loud he can't hear himself breath, grunt or moan each time he lifts those 20 lb weights over his head.  Must be some mean hemorrhoids.

6.  Rehydrater, the guy who sweats so much on the equipment, he needs IV fluids after every workout.  Makes Patrick Ewing look slightly moist.

and finally,

7.  1985.  The guy who wears his high school wrestling champ shirt...which is so faded and thin...its gotta be from 1985.  His Styx Mr Roboto shirt must still be hanging in the closet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebelleza. Show ebelleza's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

I actually do wear headphones all the time at the gym and turn up the volume, but i can still hear the gum popping. Open to other suggestions to drown out the annoyance.

Plus, I understand its a free country...people are allowed to talk in public on their cellphones at restaurants/bars/gyms/church/wherever...but it's hard to not hear their conversations when everyone else is quiet. The noise just sticks out.

[Quote]Have you tried wearing headphones? you kinda sound like a little whiner...it is a free country and not everyone on the planet needs to change because you find it annoying...try actually doing something to make yourself ignorant of the fact that she is even there.  Again, I wear headphones to the gym every day and I just flat out tune everyone out.[/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebelleza. Show ebelleza's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

TominNH1:  I don't mind people chewing gum in general, I just find the gum popping annoying (for me, and possibly others) and my own pet peeve (dont we some of us have some pet peeves? rational or irrational?)  But back to my original question...."How do people feel about gum chewing/popping while they are working out at the gym?" I just find it a distraction, like those who use cellphones while working out on the gym floor.

[Quote]

How DARE that woman chew and pop gum while YOU are working out!!!!!  Doesnt she know that in such a public place that you are NOT to be annoyed??!!

Good grief woman!

[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

I agree with you  - this person is  just  rude.  Sadly, there's not much you can do about rude pepole - they're everywhere and they're not gonna change their behavior.

Yes, folks, I know it's a free country and people can do what they want.  But shouldn't  people be considerate of others  as well?   I don't  expect it, but it would be nice.

I suggest  two things  for you:

1) like someone already suggested, get  an iPod or something and just tune here out.

2) Pull a Larry David on her.  Get yourself some gum and workout right next to her.  Don't pop your gum, just chew really loud and make all kinds of chewing noises.  If confronted, remain oblivious to any criticism ("What? I'm just chewing gum?")

I think option #1 is  more viable, but option #2 would be alot more fun...

Check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWk5M8IFQiE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from drkelleher. Show drkelleher's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

Even worse than gum...perfume at the gym!

Here's a rant about it:
    http://www.gotarant.com/rants/Rant.aspx?id=30

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebelleza. Show ebelleza's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

"Perfume at the gym." That stinks too.

[Quote]

Even worse than gum...perfume at the gym!

Here's a rant about it:
    http://www.gotarant.com/rants/Rant.aspx?id=30

[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

Chewing gum is, general, ungenteel - unless one is trying to lose weight or kick an addiction.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

Chewing gum is, general, ungenteel - unless one is trying to lose weight or kick an addiction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]I actually do wear headphones all the time at the gym and turn up the volume, but i can still hear the gum popping. Open to other suggestions to drown out the annoyance.

Plus, I understand its a free country...people are allowed to talk in public on their cellphones at restaurants/bars/gyms/church/wherever...but it's hard to not hear their conversations when everyone else is quiet. The noise just sticks out.[/Quote]

There is nothing in the Constitution about that,

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]I actually do wear headphones all the time at the gym and turn up the volume, but i can still hear the gum popping. Open to other suggestions to drown out the annoyance.

Plus, I understand its a free country...people are allowed to talk in public on their cellphones at restaurants/bars/gyms/church/wherever...but it's hard to not hear their conversations when everyone else is quiet. The noise just sticks out.[/Quote]

There is nothing in the Constitution about that,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

I wear my headphones so she can pop away, I probably won't hear her.  When I am working out, I am in full concentration on what I'm doing.  I've had people talk, chew gum loudly, grunt, groan, etc right next to me and I tune them out.  I could care less.  I'm in there for me and I concentrate on no one but myself when I lift (other than watching a few un-spotted people lifting if they seem to be in trouble).  I don't chew gum at the gym because it distracts ME!  I am more afraid of having it slip down my throat or onto the mats while I am lifting. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    3.  Stinky who wears heavy sweater/sweatshirt in the gym...P.U....when was the last time it was washed?[/Quote]

I usually wear the same sweatshirt for about a week.  I'm not concerned about what I look like or smell like in the gym.  I'm there in a sweatshirt to sweat more, rid toxins and keep my water weight down.  Unless you're going to do my laundry, I'm not wearing 6 different sweatshirts every week.

[Quote]
    5.  Grunter, who plays his mp3 player so loud he can't hear himself breath, grunt or moan each time he lifts those 20 lb weights over his head.  Must be some mean hemorrhoids.[/Quote]

I've seen people grunting pushing pre-teen weights but it's because they are at the end of their workouts and that is all they have left.  I grunt, I groan and I don't care.  I'm giving 110% every time I am in there and holding your breath during your workout is never ever ever a good idea.  The people I've witness grunt and groan over the years tend to be in better shape and have better bodies/results than thosw who don't.

[Quote]6.  Rehydrater, the guy who sweats so much on the equipment, he needs IV fluids after every workout.  Makes Patrick Ewing look slightly moist.[/Quote]

If you're not sweating at the gym, please, stop going.  You're wasting your money, your time and taking up space for us who do sweat a lot because we put a lot into our workouts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

The person who walks in and swivels the TV so they can see it directly, without any regard to others watching.  Bonus points for the person who actually CHANGES the channel without any regard to the others currently watching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]I actually do wear headphones all the time at the gym and turn up the volume, but i can still hear the gum popping. Open to other suggestions to drown out the annoyance.[/Quote]

IMO you're thinking too much about her when you see her.  Tune her out and zone in on yourself.  I've had gum popping and more going on around me and it doesn't bother me because (on the treadmill) I am too focused on the TV, my music or what I am putting my body through. 

But if it is that much of a bother, why haven't you complained to gym management?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]

The person who walks in and swivels the TV so they can see it directly, without any regard to others watching.  Bonus points for the person who actually CHANGES the channel without any regard to the others currently watching.

[/Quote]

Or the Boston Sports Club employees who change the channel for a patron without asking if you're watching it?  I know with my face staring directly at the television is a dead giveaway that I might be watching it, so far the Copley Square and Central Square locations gave no thought to ask before switching it.  Once it was for a guy who hadn't even started walking on the treadmill yet!  So the patron and the employee were both totally ignorant and rude.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]Chewing gum is, general, ungenteel - unless one is trying to lose weight or kick an addiction.[/Quote]

Ungenteel?  What?  Hahahaha!  I chew to help prevent cavities or to burn of extra energy.  I am going to the gym...what do I give-a-crap about being genteel?  If you go to the gym and worry about being upper class, you're worse than the gum popper the girl is complaining about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBagUSA. Show TBagUSA's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

Yes indeed.  Stink can come in the form of cheap perfume/cologne that somebody has bathed in, before coming to the gym...after all, Cologne was invented to cover up smells...thank you France!

As for the guy who wears the same sweatshirt to the gym...it sounds like more of a petri-dish you're wearing...gross.  I do envy your immune system, but not your couch.

And as for, Mr Sweaty / All for a Deuce...im talking about the guy who is hemorrhaging sweat and leaves puddles around him.  Keep up the good work.

I forgot to mention:

Bluto...the meatheads of all gyms...we know who you are...300 lbs of muscle, occational roid' rage, party on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanKat. Show DanKat's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

Popping gum, talking on the phone, moving the tv, wearing perfume - those things are all very rude but the one that kills me is the smoker on the treadmill. Do they not know that they stink like cigarettes? It makes me gag.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katie1277. Show Katie1277's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

When there are 50 treadmills in the place, and I'm the only on one, and someone uses the one right next to me.  Seriously gimmie some space.  The other 49 weren't good enough?  And the person who stands right behind you and waits while  you finish using a machine.  Oh I'm sorry I forgot that there wasn't a single machine in the entire gym that you could use while i work out for like 5 minutes on this one machine.  Just makes me take my time, sometimes i'll even do an extra few sets just so the person can wait a little bit longer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebelleza. Show ebelleza's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

LOL....I hear you on the waiting part....although I have to admit, if it's the last machine I have left in my workout series I'll wait near by....just so when they get off the machine I can get on quickly before someone else cuts in front of me.

Although once, I was on a machine, finished my second set and this OLD guy walks up and starts hovering over me. I invite him to work in with me and mentioned I had one more set left and responds with an attitude of annoyance and says, "yeah, yeah, whatever, just HURRY UP!".  Don't I pay for my membership like everyone else? But I've noticed he does this to EVERYONE. It's like he thinks he's king and everyone should move out of his way so he can work in.

[Quote]When there are 50 treadmills in the place, and I'm the only on one, and someone uses the one right next to me.  Seriously gimmie some space.  The other 49 weren't good enough?  And the person who stands right behind you and waits while  you finish using a machine.  Oh I'm sorry I forgot that there wasn't a single machine in the entire gym that you could use while i work out for like 5 minutes on this one machine.  Just makes me take my time, sometimes i'll even do an extra few sets just so the person can wait a little bit longer.[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joanlouise. Show joanlouise's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

just tonight, watched a girl spend at least 10 minutes trying to figure out how to change channel on a TV another person and I were working out directly in front of - never even showed courtesy of asking us.  so we just watched as she pushed all the control buttons and kept bringing up directions for changing the close captioning to Spanish.  she didn't seem flustered - I would have been mortified if I was having that much trouble with a TV in public!

[/Quote]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllForADeuce. Show AllForADeuce's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

[Quote]
    As for the guy who wears the same sweatshirt to the gym...it sounds like more of a petri-dish you're wearing...gross.  I do envy your immune system, but not your couch.[/Quote]

My couch is perfectly find and never sees the sweatshirt on it.  I shower at the gym and take out my clothes after I get home.  Some hit the laundry basket, some don't.  They get hung seperately to dry.  No festering at the bottom of a gym bag for 24 hours. 

And yes, I have a strong immune system.  Sick maybe once every two years and mostly during heavy temp fluctuations (fall going into winter).  But I attribute it to eating right and working out regularly.  The sweatshirt hasn't factored into it at all. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmdelan. Show jmdelan's posts

Gym Pet Peeves

My  pet peeves from Wellbridge in Newton:
    Blowing your nose in the shower. It's public people! The same with pissing and any other bodily fluids or solids!

The No cell phone sign! this means you. Get to work.

Gabbers on the cardio equipment. We don't care about your son's learning how to vacuum. OK?

Monopolizing any piece of equipment for more than a few sets. I had this guy use the pulley machine for an hour!

It comes down to this, use some empathy and common sense.

As my wife says, I may have to not be allowed out in public. As it is I am banned from movie theaters and grocery stores. jd

Sections
Shortcuts