McCain and Bears

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

McCain and Bears

Republican hostility toward science is well documented, despite (and perhaps in part resulting in) the precipitous decline in America's leadership and student achievement in this vital area. Now, last night, McCain weighed in squarely as a conventional anti-science Republican:

"My friends, we spent $3 million of your money to study the DNA of bears in Montana. Now I don’t know if that was a paternity issue or a criminal issue, but the point is — but the point is it was $3 million of your money."

Note that $3 million is about $1 out of every million in the federal budget. It would pay for less than 2 hours of our activities in Iraq. But it was a study using DNA analysis, and DNA analysis is red meat to an audience of fundamentalist Christians, because it's a code word for evolution. No wonder McCain came down against science on this one.

To understand more, check out this NYT editorial:

"A report by Joel Achenbach in The Washington Post makes clear, however, that this was not really a study of bear DNA but a study that used bear DNA to determine whether the grizzly bear was still a threatened species or had rebounded. Mr. McCain and his staff either failed to realize that or chose to distort the facts for political effect. Either choice is not encouraging.

"The intent of the study, whose results have not yet been published, is to estimate the size and makeup of the grizzly bear population in a vast region, encompassing Glacier National Park, five wilderness areas, parts of five national forests and other public and private lands in a largely roadless, mountainous terrain. Scientists collected hairs snagged by strategically placed barbed wire to extract DNA that could identify how many bears had passed by, their gender and unique identity. Statistical models could then predict the total population.

"That is hardly frivolous. It is a prerequisite for sensible administration of the Endangered Species Act.

"The presumed Republican presidential nominee also fails to mention that the project was sponsored by Conrad Burns, a former Republican senator from Montana who chairs the McCain campaign in that state. Mr. McCain never explains why, if it was such a waste, he didn’t try to curtail it on the Senate floor.

"It is a longstanding practice on Capitol Hill for legislators to lampoon research projects that can be made to sound foolish. Some may well be. If Mr. McCain wants to make serious critiques of research spending — and keep his reputation as a credible opponent of government waste — he and his staff need to be more careful and a lot more science-literate."

P.S. Thanks in part to this study, grizzlies may be removed from the endangered species list. Seems like money well spent to me.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

McCain and Bears

Democrats have their own hostility towards science too. For example, the silly debate over whether or not life begins at conception. Of course it does. The debate exists because Democrats want to pretend that an abortion doesn't kill anything so they can ease their guilt.

I have never seen any significant number of Democrats argue that life does not begin at conception, only that "personhood", the right to be protected under the law, does not begin at conception. This is a political question, not a scientific one. How typical of a Republican to confuse the two.

Or how about the global warming fiasco where science is reduced to calling scientists holocaust deniers rather than discussing the validity of the scientific data?

Global warming and evolution are the two of the main areas of science where Republicans are guilty of scientific denial. Yes, denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change is akin to denying the holocaust, because the data are irrefutable at this point, and the denial is driven by political, rather than scientific (or historical, respectively) motivation.

So to claim that Democrats are hostile to science because they dismiss the Republicans' hostility to science is absurd on its face.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

McCain and Bears

[Quote]

Democrats have their own hostility towards science too. For example, the silly debate over whether or not life begins at conception. Of course it does. The debate exists because Democrats want to pretend that an abortion doesn't kill anything so they can ease their guilt.

I have never seen any significant number of Democrats argue that life does not begin at conception, only that "personhood", the right to be protected under the law, does not begin at conception. This is a political question, not a scientific one. How typical of a Republican to confuse the two.

Or how about the global warming fiasco where science is reduced to calling scientists holocaust deniers rather than discussing the validity of the scientific data?

Global warming and evolution are the two of the main areas of science where Republicans are guilty of scientific denial. Yes, denying the existence of anthropogenic climate change is akin to denying the holocaust, because the data are irrefutable at this point, and the denial is driven by political, rather than scientific (or historical, respectively) motivation.

So to claim that Democrats are hostile to science because they dismiss the Republicans' hostility to science is absurd on its face.[/Quote]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

McCain and Bears

[Quote]"of course it does" - says you[/Quote]

snappy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

McCain and Bears

McCain made the exact same comment in NH at a town hall meeting that I attended. He makes the EXACT same jokes and comments at every event. It's his thing.

"Congress spends money like a drunken sailor....I was talking to drunken sailor the other day and he resented being compared to Congress....."

There is also one about Pawlenty and being in prison and the food being really good.

This guy spent a bit too much time reading the tea leaves.

I watched the CNN/VEangelical forum.

The contrast between the two men is amazing. McCain has conviction and answers his questions quickly, concisely and honestly.

Obama.....well...let's just say....um..uh...what he meant to say was....um uh....what I've said all along is...

It's amazing....you can hear him thinking as he tries to talk..."What do they WANT to hear??? How can I make it sound like I agree with them and make friends and get their votes?"

I wish Obama would honestly answer ANY question with conviction and honesty. At least Clinton was smooth when he lied to us...Obama sounds like Ted Kennedy with an added stuttering problem and a hint of amnesia after a fifth of vodka being questioned by his wife at 3 in the morning with his shirt buttoned incorrectly and lipstick on his cheek.

I think Obama's head would explode if he told us what he REALLY thought. God forbid the guy actually speaks his mind. This charade about being a centrist and hiding his true extreme liberal views is painful to watch. He doesn't do it well.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

McCain and Bears

And there are many eminently qualified scientists that do not believe that man is the cause of global warming

No there aren't. There are a few. Can you name me even a handful of PhD climatologists who believe that humans are not affecting the global climate?

If Obama were to call it life then he would really have a difficult time explaining why he has voted to allow the killing of infants that are viiable outside the mother's womb.

I'm sure you know that's a lie. Propegating it reflects poorly on you. He did not vote to allow killing of infants outside the mother's womb. There was a law already on the books that mandated medical treatment of prematurely delivered viable infants. A bill put forward by an anti-abortion coalition came to a vote in the Illinois legislature which was not only redundant, but poorly written and ambiguous. Obama did the only honorable thing and voted against it. Now you have no excuse for repeating this nonsense again.

So who is denying science here when they can't just answer the question correctly?

Denying science would be to say "life does not begin at conception". Obama essentially says, "I don't know, because I don't know how one defines 'life'". He's not denying science, he's refusing to answer a loaded question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

McCain and Bears

[Quote]And there are many eminently qualified scientists that do not believe that man is the cause of global warming

No there aren't. There are a few. Can you name me even a handful of PhD climatologists who believe that humans are not affecting the global climate?[/Quote]

no, they don't want to "kill the job" as they say on the Big Dig..

[Quote] He's not denying science, he's refusing to answer a loaded question.[/Quote]

Why didn't he just say "Present"? That's his usual MO when a tough decision or vote needs to be made.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

McCain and Bears

I heard McCain wants to arm bears

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

McCain and Bears

[Quote]

snappy[/Quote]

awww, c'mon Cuch, cut us some slack. It's at least as snappy as "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

McCain and Bears

[Quote]"of course it does" - says you[/Quote]

Dave, no point in trying to argue with "logic" like this. These are the same hypocrites who blast pregnant teenagers and blame Democrats, liberal ideas, and bad parents until it is the daughter of the GOP VP nominee who is pregnant. Then she's to be praised. Working mothers have long been a target of the GOP, until now. They won't give this one up. The GOP is all for keeping government out of people's lives except, apparently, when it comes to reproduction, then it is their business.

Sections
Shortcuts