Seasonal Affective Disorder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Lack of sunlight�= lack of vitamin D = depression in some people. I think the people that have it the worst are the people who stay indoors most of the time and do very little in the way of exercise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLIPPERY-EEL. Show SLIPPERY-EEL's posts

Hear, hear!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomSinMA. Show TomSinMA's posts

There is one thing that must be remembered about seasonal affective disorder. Generally, one must rule out any other cause for deperssion. For example,  if you are depressed and anxious in winter because that is the time of year where you were in  serious car crash that killed a loved one,  it is more likely that is is caused by THAT event rather than the season itself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from news1viewer. Show news1viewer's posts

Drug companies can be blamed for many things. But the diagnosis of SAD is not one of them, because it need not be treated with drugs. A frequently prescribed treatment is to use a light box in the winter months. One can easily sit in front of it while eating breakfast. Like with most prescriptions, some people get no help from this. But very many do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]Drug companies can be blamed for many things. But the diagnosis of SAD is not one of them, because it need not be treated with drugs. A frequently prescribed treatment is to use a light box in the winter months. One can easily sit in front of it while eating breakfast. Like with most prescriptions, some people get no help from this. But very many do.[/Quote]

Or people could just go outside and sit in front of that big light box in the sky. People, it's called winter. It seems like people just give up when a little cold weather comes. I've heard people say they do nothing all winter because it's too cold and that it's depressing. It's depressing if you allow it to be depressing. There's a reason they sell warm clothing in the winter folks. You can still go for long walks with the dog. Try going snowshoeing. Go for long walks with significant other. Remember when we were kids and played in the cold all day long? Then came home to hot chocolate? Why should that change as adults. Life is too short to spend 3-4 months hunkered down indoors. Get out and live life.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]Why am I not surprised that ecaf would chalk this all up to people making bad choices.

like a broken record this guy.[/Quote]

Why am I not surprised you still don't have a grasp on reading comprehension? Where did I state people made bad choices? It's pretty common around cold weather states to hear people use the cold weather excuse. It's not my opinion. I hear people say it all the time. I'm just simply saying there's no reason to hibernate in the winter. Get out and live life.
    BTW, can you not stalk me?...it's creepy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

I think we have come a long way in accepting and de-stigmizing mental afflictions, but its clear that there are still people out there who think if you are not sneezing, coughing, puking, or limping then you are fine. Having problems mentally means you are weak or something. Well, I read somewhere that 20% of our troops in the ME are on some form of anxiety/depression medication and last I checked, they are some pretty tough folk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]I think we have come a long way in accepting and de-stigmizing mental afflictions, but its clear that there are still people out there who think if you are not sneezing, coughing, puking, or limping then you are fine. Having problems mentally means you are weak or something. Well, I read somewhere that 20% of our troops in the ME are on some form of anxiety/depression medication and last I checked, they are some pretty tough folk.[/Quote]

Are you comparing troops who have seen combat to those who are upset because it's cold outside? Please tell me that's not the case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[Quote]

Are you comparing troops who have seen combat to those who are upset because it's cold outside? Please tell me that's not the case.[/Quote]

I don't look at emotional suffering or being upset as something one person is more entitled to then another. If you want to compare them, then be my guest, but I really don't see the point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

I don't look at emotional suffering or being upset as something one person is more entitled to then another. If you want to compare them, then be my guest, but I really don't see the point.[/Quote]

Somehow I don't think combat veterans will have much sympathy for those upset that it get's darker earlier in the winter. You know given what the soldiers have been through in COMBAT

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[Quote]

Somehow I don't think combat veterans will have much sympathy for those upset that it get's darker earlier in the winter. You know given what the soldiers have been through in COMBAT[/Quote]

Well, just because you look down your nose at these people, doesn't mean a COMBAT veteran would. And why does it bother you that these people are afflicted with this?

I don't understand myself. The only thing the cold does to me is make me cold, but I also doubt very much that these people are choosing to be depressed, upset, whatever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

Well, just because you look down your nose at these people, doesn't mean a COMBAT veteran would. And why does it bother you that these people are afflicted with this?

I don't understand myself. The only thing the cold does to me is make me cold, but I also doubt very much that these people are choosing to be depressed, upset, whatever.[/Quote]

Look down on? Are you for real? I was pointing out that if these people didn't hibernate and got out during the winter they'd be fine. If pointing that out makes me a bad person then so be it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]It may or may not make you a bad person, but it does make Tacos' observation about you correct.[/Quote]

That would mean so much more if it didn't come from you...LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

[Quote]

Look down on? Are you for real? I was pointing out that if these people didn't hibernate and got out during the winter they'd be fine. If pointing that out makes me a bad person then so be it.[/Quote]

Are you a therapist or something? Just go outside and then they will be ok? Don't you think someone who understands this condition a little better then you may have thought of that already? Maybe there is more to it then you or I understand? I am not saying your a bad person, but maybe completely devoid of empathy on this particular issue. You are making my point from my original post perfectly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from currenteventsenthusiast. Show currenteventsenthusiast's posts

I'm very frustrated by people on this forum writing that it doesn't exist. I don't have a diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure I have SAD. What gives anyone the right to declare themselves the arbiter of what mental health conditions are real or not? I'm sure the high suicide rate in the northern countries like Finland can be explained in your twisted minds as something entirely unrelated to the lack of light.

I'm intending to move South when I can because I can't take much more of the dark winter months. I'm born and raised in Massachusetts, but I'm still not used to it. Every year, I sleep all night and then want to sleep all day. Once, I slept for 18 hours straight because I was not mentally able to handle the darkness during the day. Why am I a totally happy person in the Spring and Summer, but I fall into a deep, helpless stupor the in the late fall and winter?

History has shown that these mental "disorders" will be recognized and destigmatized eventually. The doubters and cyncics on this forum need to keep their hateful comments in their heads.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]I'm very frustrated by people on this forum writing that it doesn't exist. I don't have a diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure I have SAD. What gives anyone the right to declare themselves the arbiter of what mental health conditions are real or not? I'm sure the high suicide rate in the northern countries like Finland can be explained in your twisted minds as something entirely unrelated to the lack of light.

I'm intending to move South when I can because I can't take much more of the dark winter months. I'm born and raised in Massachusetts, but I'm still not used to it. Every year, I sleep all night and then want to sleep all day. Once, I slept for 18 hours straight because I was not mentally able to handle the darkness during the day. Why am I a totally happy person in the Spring and Summer, but I fall into a deep, helpless stupor the in the late fall and winter?

History has shown that these mental "disorders" will be recognized and destigmatized eventually. The doubters and cyncics on this forum need to keep their hateful comments in their heads.[/Quote]

So if it's due to lack of light then why isn't EVERYBODY affected by it??? Nuff said

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

Nuff said that you're a few watts short of a dim bulb.[/Quote]

Considering that all you could come up with is an insult i'll take that to mean you have no idea. Thanks for confirming

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]Why am I not surprised that ecaf would chalk this all up to people making bad choices.

like a broken record this guy.[/Quote]

Why am I not surprised that even though there were multiple posts BEFORE mine that disagreed with SAD, you singled ME out! Hmmmmm, can you say stalker!!! You and Petrol are so transparent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

You really want to play this game?

Why do some people survive plane crashes?
    Who do some lifelong smokers not get lung cancer?
    Why do some people get the flu and others don't?

Your statement is evidence that you don't think before you hit submit. The regulars here already know this about you, but short of following you around the board and explaining you to every newcomer the most effective way to deal with you is to plead with you to stop being an idiot.[/Quote]

I feel bad that you just simply have no idea how moronic you really are. Your examples couldn't be more apples and oranges. You have brought stupid to a level I just didn't think was possible. LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]Nice comeback
    Quote]

Thanks. Sounds like you're catching on finally. There's hope for you yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I generally agree that this can be chalked up to, "It's called Winter." One could quibble with whether or not it's a "disorder", but that's just semantics. During extended periods without sunlight, people get "depressed" (sad); some people drink more; some go off the deep end and kill themselves or other people. But is this really news? No.

Winter has existed for much, much longer than psychiatry. I'd be willing to bet that ancient cultures experienced the same phenomenon on a physiological level. In fact, I would also wager that some societies have greater tolerance to prolonged darkness than others.

For instance, people living near the equator or in tropical climates might get depressed after just 4 or 5 days without sun (rare), while people who live in more temperate climates can go for 7, 8, 9 days before succumbing to psychological stress.

But we shouldn't confuse "depression" with any such societal or environmental "disorders", at least not in a clinical sense. We like to think we're that much more advanced than animals, but in evolutionary terms, we're not, and that's a scientific fact.

After all, why did we invent snowshoeing, ice skating, hockey, skiing, (even curling) et al...??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

vets can't have SAD?

where do you get this stuff? your hindparts must have an amazing capacity, 'cause you lay it on thick every post.[/Quote]

There's that lack of reading comprehension thing again. I never said 'vets can't have SAD"? Those words were never written by me. Carry on ahole

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

Gee. Nice claim. Got any proof? Medical studies of some kind?

friggin idiot. and stop being so phuqing dishonest- of COURSE you're looking down on those people - denying it is poitless - you're completely transparent, even though you don't know it. you're just projecting your disdain onto a DIFFERENT set of people about whom you now nothing.

my father's a combat vet. his sister has intense clinical depression. and i can tell you for a fact, he doesn't look down at her for it.

what a dope you are.[/Quote]

LOL....assume all you want. I know you need to as it makes you feel better about yourself. It makes you feel so superior. If that's what gets you through the day then good for you. BTW, clinical depression is different than SAD, dummy. You really are a complete moron.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

gee, i dunno, if you're allergic to peanuts, why isn't everybody?

moron.

do you really think every single human being is neurologically - biologically -identical, and therefore all respond identically to all environmental stimuli?

I sure hope you don't.[/Quote]

Apples and oranges but you knew that

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]no dummy.

it's an environmental sensitivity. that only some are prone ot it, does not mean "it" is fictional.

dummy.[/Quote]

If you buy into labeling everything to help enable people then that's your thing.

Sections
Shortcuts