What kids do in gym class...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

In Brookline, we used to have to climb ropes right up to the ceiling of the gym (if you dared). We ran races, played tag, softball, baseball, tennis. When my parents moved to Boston, we had no gym with a very small confined space outside, so we boys planned conspiracies to make life uncomfortable for the girls, rather than getting a lot of exercise.

In today's litigious world, I can't imagine any activity being allowed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougzinboston. Show dougzinboston's posts

Although I wasn't the fastest, I still had fun playing sports that would bring huge lawsuits today. I think we need not to get rid of phys-ed, but get rid of cry-baby parents and frivilous lawsuits.

Pretty soon, parents are going to be suing their kids for being couch potatoes. Then, I hope the kids are smart enough to countersue their parents for turning them into couch potatoes. What's next? Banning running because the slower kids are getting their feeling hurt becasue they aren't the fastest?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

Give everyone a medal to make them feel better, then welcome to the real world.

PC nonsense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmira1. Show kmira1's posts

If you went to a certain Catholic school in Brockton, you were met by a well-meaning, older woman, who ran the girls' phys ed. The girls who complained about cramps were encouraged to do abdominal exercises because it would help (it actually does). And who can forget the dreaded "Crab Soccer" games and the infamous "pelvic tilt" she used to exaggerate in demonstration. We would all be dying of embarrassment, as the guys on the other side would be shooting hoops and doing real sports. Oh well, it's funny to think about now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beautmind64. Show beautmind64's posts

Back in the day (late 70's early 80's) we used to wear the uniform a navy and white striped t-shirt with the city of boston logo and navy shorts. We did dodge ball alot and when I was in elementary school at the Mason, we had a new pool building and were featured on the news!

Good times!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb22. Show jwb22's posts

My absolute favorite was floor-hockey. That was indoor hockey with plastic sticks and plastic pucks. the sound of the puck hitting the wooden bleachers was awesome.

I didn't fear any game because I was good at sports.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trottier. Show trottier's posts

I grew up in the 50's, back then boys and girls were seperated in the gym, girls on oneside, boys on the other. but in high school that all changed, and the boys and girls, were allowed to play with each other during gym..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizfav. Show lizfav's posts

in elementary school and middle school I definately played all the traditional games like bombardement (dodgeball) and scooter hockey and things like that. in high school we sometimes did organized games, or you had a choice of things to do (like hiding in the weight room and talking).

While gym was always fun, I can see parents concerns. At my high school on the south shore we used to play a game called boom ball, which was a cross between baseball and kickball. One day in gym class one of the smallest boys was catcher and one of the big muscular boys was running for home plate. The bigger boy tried to get around the smaller but they collided and the bigger boy landed on the smaller boys head. An ambulance had to be called, and as a result of the injury one side of the smaller boys face now droops.

I knew another girl who was climbing ropes, fell, and broke both her arms.

gym classes these days are overcrowded, and there is no adequate equipment or supervision to prevent major accidents from happening

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocklun1. Show rocklun1's posts

Back in the 70s and early 80s, my school had co-ed gym classes. Unfortunately, my grade had some fairly violent, ADHD-type boys, so when we played games like bombardment, it was pretty scary for the less-athletic kids (like me!). We also played volleyball, kickball, softball, flag football, crab soccer, floor hockey, and basketball, and we did gymnastics. Oh, and we had horrible, splintery ropes that we were occasionally forced to climb (not that I got more than a foot or so off the floor). I enjoyed crab soccer and floor hockey, and that was about it. Otherwise, I was often one of the last kids picked, which wasn't much fun. By the time I was a junior, though, the gym teacher let us girls go for walks/jogs in the neighborhood while the boys lifted weights. I much preferred to do noncompetitive activities such as walking--at least I wasn't humiliated by being picked last!!

My younger sister and her friends were allowed to bring in Jane Fonda workout videos and do them during gym class. As a similarly less-athletic type, she was pretty happy about that!

The funny thing is that when I hit my 30s, I ended up becoming a runner, and then I also played indoor women's soccer for several years. Perhaps if the school had emphasized more individual athletic activities, rather than making kids feel like failures if they weren't good team players, I would have gotten a lot more out of gym class.

My daughter is a freshman now, and her gym classes (sorry, PE classes!) involve volleyball, kickball, lacrosse, floor hockey, indoor rock-climbing, soccer, softball, etc. I think they might be doing some ice skating later this year, as her school has an ice rink. She seems to like PE more than I did, at least.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lccprez. Show lccprez's posts

agreed .. too little exercise, too much food, too many video games = fat

Sections
Shortcuts