Who should be the VP candidates?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofit. Show noneofit's posts

how about dianne feinstein?  a moderate from a big state with excellent foreign policy experience and is not a threatening woman (at least I don't think so.  But who Knows?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofit. Show noneofit's posts

how about dianne feinstein?  a moderate from a big state with excellent foreign policy experience and is not a threatening woman (at least I don't think so.  But who Knows?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofit. Show noneofit's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofit. Show noneofit's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bacma. Show bacma's posts

Why is John Edwards not on the list? He's from the South, appeals to blue-collar voters (where Obama has trouble) and is known for his commitment to economic issues. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modemguy21. Show Modemguy21's posts

Are you high?  Kathleen Sebalius should be at the very top of your list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

quincyjoe, Hagel would be a good reaction choice should McCain go with Lieberman.  Only trouble is he has been very conservative socially.

Mookied, I agree that Sibelius matches a demographic that complements Obama, but I'm not sure the Hillary supporters will see her as a good enough substitute for their precious.

PS911, I think Kaine is a good choice, but I wonder if Obama would want someone older and more experienced.

Gore WOULD be a great VP (even greater president), but my suspicion is that he's done with the family business and wants to spend the rest of his life being a fabulously wealthy international rock star.

Biden is a GREAT choice (my original favorite for president).  Might be even better as secretary of state, though.  Doesn't bring many electoral votes with him, coming from Deleware.

Richardson might bring an outpouring of Hispanic votes, except the Republicans will get them all purged from the voter registration roles by the time the election comes around.

Then there's Hillary.  As of right now, she hasn't done well for herself with her behavior this last week.  She seems pretty irrational under pressure ... would you want HER answering the phone at 3 AM.  More to the point, would you want YOUR heartbeat being the only thing between Hillary and the presidency?

Many intriguing choices out there, pluses and minuses for all of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

monster, i fogot biden but he's on record with no interest in the vp position. I do like him as secretary of state big time because he and obama will be able to continue a good solid agreement and he would be a very competent advisor

we disagee on Kaine but i have a deep fondness for both warner and kaine.....warners going on to be an excellent senator and with Kaine being term limited, he needs to find a place in the Obam a cabinet because he is so dynamic and is very good on religion and values which goes the distance to opening new doors with southerners and evangelicals.

i had also thought about Tom Daschle but he is floating himself as chief of staff along with the media.

This is one spot where an insider would be useful.....but he has some lobby issues I want him to divest himself of....and his wife is in the aircraft industry tank.....that bothers me but he would make an excellent chief of staff to help with  organization.......

we disagree on Hagel...I dont think Lieberman offers that much except a way for him to exploit a fake former democrat...but i do like Hagel for Defense Sec.

What about Wesley Clark? what say you?
    What about Barbara Boxer? what say you?
    What about the gov of Mt or the gov of Arizona...both need vetting but they seem good in a lot of ways.

Hillary HELL NO! - food taster / bill clinton / excess baggage

Sibelius is competent but cant pull Kansas in nor can she offer too much in the appeal, charisma areas......she is a good solid liberal who should be running for senate in 2010 i hope. She is also  term limited as well so there's something for her i hope.

Richardson is a home run except i think he has some pants problems but I would put him at the UN or in a cabinet position.
    he would make a great b choice secretary of state as well if biden is not willing to take the job

[Quote]quincyjoe, Hagel would be a good reaction choice should McCain go with Lieberman.  Only trouble is he has been very conservative socially.

Mookied, I agree that Sibelius matches a demographic that complements Obama, but I'm not sure the Hillary supporters will see her as a good enough substitute for their precious.

PS911, I think Kaine is a good choice, but I wonder if Obama would want someone older and more experienced.

Gore WOULD be a great VP (even greater president), but my suspicion is that he's done with the family business and wants to spend the rest of his life being a fabulously wealthy international rock star.

Biden is a GREAT choice (my original favorite for president).  Might be even better as secretary of state, though.  Doesn't bring many electoral votes with him, coming from Deleware.

Richardson might bring an outpouring of Hispanic votes, except the Republicans will get them all purged from the voter registration roles by the time the election comes around.

Then there's Hillary.  As of right now, she hasn't done well for herself with her behavior this last week.  She seems pretty irrational under pressure ... would you want HER answering the phone at 3 AM.  More to the point, would you want YOUR heartbeat being the only thing between Hillary and the presidency?

Many intriguing choices out there, pluses and minuses for all of them.[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leegart. Show leegart's posts

Joseph Biden

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_627228. Show user_627228's posts

Would love to see Senator Bill Bradley as an option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnmets. Show soxnmets's posts

Among men, Richardson and Biden would be my top picks.  However, I think Obama should strongly consider a woman.  Not necessarily Hillary, however.  The list of potential women Veeps:

Kathleen Sebelius, Janet Napolitano, Claire McCaskill, Mary Landrieu, Blanche Lincoln, Maria Cantwell, Patty Murray, or even a bold across the aisle pick like Susan Collins.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianW1009. Show BrianW1009's posts

What about George Mitchell?  Leave out the whole baseball fiasco, but look at the man who peace brokered the peace agreement in Ireland, was a former senate president.  Would be able to and willing to negotiate on both sides of the aisle in congress, as compared to our current VP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeanneC. Show JeanneC's posts

Ok, why not Caroline? She's very smart and politics are in her DNA. The family would come out in droves to campaign. She's never endorsed anyone publicly before. It could be a very interesting turning point for the Democratic Committee. The sentimental reasons alone would be enough to cause a media frenzy. I'd be very interested to see where she stands on the issues. Something about the strength of the Kennedy women has always been intriguing.

Also, John Edwards? He didn't make the list...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PinkElephant. Show PinkElephant's posts

I think Obama needs Hillary to win. I know it will make him look weak...but I think he can win with her. Jim Webb would be a fine choice and so would Mike Bloomberg -- too bad he supports McCain.

For McCain, I think if Obama goes with Hillary - McCain needs someone that will shock, surprise and get a lot of press attention. In general, I think he needs this because the news is swarming with Obama and Clinton. Jindal or Crist would be O.K. but they aren't all that exciting. Romney would pretty much guarantee a loss for McCain and would hurt him with the independent voters he has been trying to seduce. Huckabee would excite the religious right...but the Bush comparisons would get out of control. A woman would be a fine choice...and so would an independent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo. Show TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo's posts

I truly dont get it, how is that ultra liberal folks are now on board with Jim Webb as a VP choice?  He is conservative in many areas, not anywhere near the same page as Obama on numerous issues.  It smacks of say anything, do anything to get your man elected.  Yet their is a huge backlash against Hilary Clinton who would help him get elected.  So she made your guy look weak, like a helium balloon that refused to fly.  So what, get over it.  He was barely scratched in the primaries by Democrats, what do you think the "Republican Hit Squads" are going to do.  And remember the groups he could not reach, lunch bucket Dems, working class, latinos are not internet geeks or news hounds.  Webb is a fine choice but for so many to support him is all together far too funny.  So much for changing America in a good way, shall we settle for changing America YOUR way

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Obama needs to add strength to his ticket not a geographic balance or idealogic balance.  He needs what he doesn't have; experience and sound international credentials. 

The Best choice is Biden (one of my early choices before he ran out of steam) but he's already said no. 

Clark would be great, my choice last primary season, he would help with the Clinton supporters and would give Obama some much needed experience in international dealings.  He could be a much better as Obama's solution for, Bush's need for Cheney.

Edwards brings nothing to the table, and he doesn't help with the middle class vote.

Selibus (sp?) bad choice, looks stronger on paper than Obama, a 2nd term governor vs. a first term junior US Senator.

Gore has already done the VP thing, why would he go backwards?  As others have said he's now a rich rock star making money off of climate change.

Clinton is not the choice and she doesn't want it, its would be an upside down ticket.  She wants to be in charge and will have to wait for 2012, McCain will be looking old and we'll need another change.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

For me, Clark is the most intriguing choice - a man of undeniable character and principle, older but willing to listen to new ideas - and he complements Obama in many ways.  He's also not what many would consider a "Washington Insider" - to me, this is a good thing.

I firmly believe that the "generation gap" will prove to be an important factor in this race, as the boomer generation reluctantly cedes power to the next.  More than any other divide between Clinton and Obama in the primary, older voters had the most trouble with voting for Obama over Hillary. Clark will bridge much of that divide in addition to neutralizing somme of McCain's mystique as a veteran. 
    That said, I think Clark would make an even better Defense Sec., even though that wouldn't necessarily help the election effort.

Richardson is also interesting because he is familiar to the voters from having run in the primary, but he was also Clinton's energy secretary - a good way to tell voters that the price of gas is a critical issue (which it is).

As far as cross-party candidates, Hagel seems to fit well, as would Susan Collins - a very capable, respected, reasoned politician - though perhaps too unknown.  Somehow, though, I think having a Republican just a heartbeat away from the Presidency (not to mention increasing the profile of said VP) would irk many Democrats. 

I'm skeptical of the so-called 'unity ticket' for several reasons.  For one, I don't believe Hillary really wants it as bad as her supporters want it for her. They think she deserves it.  Well, she doesn't.  She should realize that she would have a higher profile and accomplish more as Senate Majority Leader.  The vetting of Bill would also be problematic - he would hurt the ticket more than help it.  Also, the platform of "Change" takes a rough hit by bringing a Clinton on board.

Sebelius, Napolitano and McCaskill would all be worthy VPs - very well-spoken and pragmatic.  But will the choice of any be perceived as a slight against Hillary?  In this hyper-sensitive country??  Please....

At the end of the day, there are many, many bruised egos within the party (and among voters), and the Obama campaign should ponder long and hard on the choice for VP.  I don't expect it any time soon.  July 4th, maybe?  What better way to stimulate discussion at all of those BBQs...?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Some very interesting thoughts posted.  I think Obama is looking for someone:
      - at least 57 years old (10 years older than him) to provide gravitas and "experience"
      - no older than 67, so the rap against McCain's 72 won't be compromised.
      - NOT female, unless it's Hillary (who would be upset if he took a woman other than her)
      - NOT in the senate, unless he has had some earlier executive experience
      - who is white
      - who has a VERY mainstream protestant religion
      - NOT from the east or west coast (or from Illinois, per the Constitution)

Within these criteria, Bill Richardon and Evan Bayh jump out.  Al Gore would be a superb choice should he want it, but that's far less than certain.

I'm sure there are many other candidates who meet these criteria ... not sure who they are, but my guess is that whomever Obama chooses will meet them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

- at least 57 years old (10 years older than him) to provide gravitas and "experience"
      - NOT female, unless it's Hillary (who would be upset if he took a woman other than her)
      - who is white

Withinthese criteria, Bill Richardon and Evan Bayh jump out.  Al Gore wouldbe a superb choice should he want it, but that's far less than certain.

I'msure there are many other candidates who meet these criteria ... notsure who they are, but my guess is that whomever Obama chooses willmeet them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

- who is white

Withinthese criteria, Bill Richardon and Evan Bayh jump out.  Al Gore wouldbe a superb choice should he want it, but that's far less than certain.

I'msure there are many other candidates who meet these criteria ... notsure who they are, but my guess is that whomever Obama chooses willmeet them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

- who is white

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

[Quote]I think Collin Powell would be a great VP for Obama.   Obama did go to Powell for advice on foreign policy matters and military matters.  I think Powell would be a great running mate[/Quote]

No on Powell.....the idea of leaving a republican to undo your work is a problem. I do not have an issue with Obama and Powell having a conversation. Powell "made his bed" when he rejected Clinton and took the same offer under Bush.

He is now tarnished for all time and that will hurt him thanks to the speech of lies at the UN. However, his advice sought privately has value.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo. Show TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo's posts

[Quote]I think Collin Powell would be a great VP for Obama.   Obama did go to Powell for advice on foreign policy matters and military matters.  I think Powell would be a great running mate[/Quote]

Danbo, Powell is a Republican, moderate of course, but still GOP.  I think McCain should go with Fiori (sp?).  The former HP CEO would be a great pick because to attack her for being too dictatorial etc would reignite the sexism charge and bring more women over to McCain which will be the deciding factor.  I think based on the current fracture amongst democrats it is a no brainer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote]

It really doesn't matter. A man who hates white people is not getting elected President.

Change!  Change!  Change!

[/Quote]

A retarded guy did.    Besides, his mother is white.  Nobody hates their mother.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aynnie. Show aynnie's posts

[Quote]Ok, why not Caroline? She's very smart and politics are in her DNA. The family would come out in droves to campaign. She's never endorsed anyone publicly before. It could be a very interesting turning point for the Democratic Committee. The sentimental reasons alone would be enough to cause a media frenzy. I'd be very interested to see where she stands on the issues. Something about the strength of the Kennedy women has always been intriguing.

Also, John Edwards? He didn't make the list...[/Quote]

I like Caroline - she has led an exemplary life - but I don't see her wanting it - I also like John Edwards, Claire McAskille and Al Gore.  I would LOVE McCain to choose Romney - it would be the kiss of death - the bible thumpers have a real prejudice against him and would definitely NOT come out.

Sections
Shortcuts