Who should be the VP candidates?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhitmanCantab. Show WhitmanCantab's posts

Senator Blanche Lincoln, of Arkansas.  A moderate who has worked across the aisle with Republicans.  A mother of two 12 years olds, she has been a tireless advocate for child and families.  She speaks well, is focused on goals, and has a distinctive Southern accent.  She comes off as straight-forward and downright folksie, but at the same time has a serious bearing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chugcab. Show chugcab's posts

JOE BIDEN!!!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/06/biden_could_help_obama_win_on.html

Here are a few excerpts:

"Few Democrats know more about foreign policy, and few would so relish the fight against McCain on international affairs. Few are better placed to argue that withdrawal from Iraq will strengthen rather than weaken the U.S.

He was born in Scranton, Pa., an essential state for Democrats, and has been a regular in the Philadelphia media market. Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, himself a plausible No. 2, has called Biden "a perfect fit." The senator has been through two of his own presidential campaigns in which he experienced what an acquaintance of his called the "white hot heat" of scrutiny.

Biden is Catholic and hails from a blue-collar world, two constituencies with which Obama needs help. The chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee and the former Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Biden speaks with real learning on international affairs and the judiciary -- the next vacancies on the Supreme Court should be a big issue in this campaign -- while never sounding like an elitist.

But the central reason to pick Biden is the message the choice would send about Obama's readiness to contest national security issues and his understanding that fixing American foreign policy must be one of the next president's highest priorities."

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ginny. Show Ginny's posts

George Mitchell would be my choice.  Plenty of foreign service and foreign policy experience and a ton of gravitas. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I don't know who it's going to be, but never before has it been so important that the person "a heartbeat away" be ready.  Between McCain's age and predisposition to cancer (even if it desn't kill him, can you be President and fight cancer too?) and Obama's historical significance, especially to the lunatic fringe, I am afraid. Very afraid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

[Quote]George Mitchell would be my choice.  Plenty of foreign service and foreign policy experience and a ton of gravitas. [/Quote]
    This is a solid choice for a cabinet level position or as head of the white house staff.I doubt if he would opt to be the vice president.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

There are some interesting choices for Obama and a few possible choices for John McCain.Do not believe the polls regarding the closeness of the race,the Republicans are in deeper trouble than at any time in their history since 1932. Ask any Congressman or Senator if he wants to be known as a Republican Stalwart. The only person who could win against Obama would be Colin Powell.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

IMO Gore has way too much baggage and would energize the middle and right for McCain. Mitchell also has baggage from the baseball steroids cover-up he orchestrated. Biden I would vote for President over either candidate so he would be my choice. Sebelius is the most likely since HRC's voters want a woman and they are militant right now.

McCain has a harder (IMHO) task because he can't just take someone perceived as a lap dog apprentice learning on the job. He also can't go with an older VP who may look frailer than him. My pick would be Haley Barbour of Mississippi. What he did during and after Katrina was top notch. He should write the disaster readiness manual for all governors. If LA had him NO would have had about 1/10th the deaths and it would be re-built and 90% would be back in their old neighborhoods.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Depending on how their field trip to Iraq goes, I think Hagel may emerge in the top 5 of the VP shortlist.  More and more, as Obama struggles to gain on Mac re: foreign policy, he'll need that kind of experience on the ticket.

I'm also a big supporter of Biden, however, his communication skills and surliness on the campaign trail might be a problem, in spite of his obvious expertise and intelligence.

McCaskill is promising, as is Sebelius - both are very smart, tough women.  And Richardson is still in the hunt, I believe, so he rounds out my top 5 as of today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Matty, Hagel would be interesting but I can't see a Republican VP for Demicrat Pres.. Maybe Sec. of State? I still think for Obama to win he needs to get the women vote that was strongly Hillary. Granholm from Michigan would also be on my "short list". 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]Matty, Hagel would be interesting but I can't see a Republican VP for Demicrat Pres.. Maybe Sec. of State? I still think for Obama to win he needs to get the women vote that was strongly Hillary. Granholm from Michigan would also be on my "short list". [/Quote]

Good point, but Hagel is retiring anyway, I believe, and how powerful a statement that would be, especially to the independents and other fence-straddlers.  You may be right in the end, though...we'll see.

Granholm is interesting and seems capable, although I'm not sure how favorable she is in her home state at the moment.  She may however counteract a possible Romney VP.

Lots of speculation here...I think we'll know the choices by the end of the month.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I don't see Obama picking a woman other than Hillary because he will be accused of tokenism.  But he can't pick Hillary because of all the baggage (Bill first and foremost).  Hagle would be very interesting as an appeal to the white male/military vote.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Interesting comments re Hagel and female candidates, Matty, Reuben and brat.  Hagel is most intriguing, but he is another senator, and I think Obama would want a VP with executive experience.  I don't know too much about Hagel, but my impression is that he has a history of social conservatism that might be awkward for Obama.  Hagel would be a very strong addition to an Obama unity cabinet, and he would certainly help Obama lead, but I would wager against his selection for VP.  But it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Monster, I think you are right on picking a governor for that executive look on the ticket (I bet McCain does the same).  Hagel could look good at Defense.   I like Biden at State.  Now there's just that pesky V.P. slot...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from e67. Show e67's posts

It doesn't matter if Governor Slimeball is picked by McCain or not.  It doesn't even owe to the fact that McCain was selected by primary voters because he was anybody other than Mitt.

It doesn't matter because Mitt will be the Repub.'s John Edwards.  And he will lose future races just as John Edwards did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jifischel. Show jifischel's posts

I don't really understand why Brian Schweitzer, governor of Montana, isn't being mentioned.  He's outside Washington, turned a red state blue, could put Obama over the top in several Mountain West states (Nevada, Colorado, Montana, maybe even North Dakota), is progressive except, perhaps, on gun rights, appeals to rural voters, farmers, moderates, etc.  He spent six years working on irrigation in Libya and Saudi Arabia and is fluent in Arabic.  He's an articulate, approachable guy - what's not to love?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanhooley. Show seanhooley's posts

As a democrat, I hope McCain picks Romney.  That would ensure that  an Obama win.  McCain  whole independent conservative philosopohy is diametrically opposed from Romneys insider (dad ran for president, millionaire Harvard draft avoiding boy), and selecting Romney, someone who did nothing as governor but is 1. rich and 2. pretty would cement the fact that McCain is desperate and a flip flopper.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

i agree on Romney.

Im thinking if not Romney, Sarah Palin might add some desperately pizzaz but she will outshine McSame

Obama, I like Gore and Tim Kaine of VA but god no on Evan Bayh

[Quote]As a democrat, I hope McCain picks Romney.  That would ensure that  an Obama win.  McCain  whole independent conservative philosopohy is diametrically opposed from Romneys insider (dad ran for president, millionaire Harvard draft avoiding boy), and selecting Romney, someone who did nothing as governor but is 1. rich and 2. pretty would cement the fact that McCain is desperate and a flip flopper.[/Quote]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paali. Show Paali's posts

[Quote][/Quote]

I think you got this right.  Those who listen know that O'Bama's about reaching across the aisle.  And another Rep. Senate seat up fpr grabs!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from who-cares-1940. Show who-cares-1940's posts

[Quote]Dem landslide based on what information???  You better hope O takes Hillary or he's done politically.  Lbbys hate nobody more than someone who let's them down and loses a Presidential bid...Mondale, Dukakis, Kerry, Gore.....now Obama.

O needs Hillary to win...PERIOD.  I hope McCain takes Romney.  You may not like the fact that Obama won't be President but you will sleep better knowing you are safe at night with McCain.[/Quote]

I see we had to get a response from the mentally challenged.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from swa. Show swa's posts

Obama should seriously consider General Eric Shinseki. Iraq is a mess because Bush whitehouse did not listen to him

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadWolf7. Show BadWolf7's posts

[Quote]I see we had to get a response from the mentally challenged.[/Quote]

Why would you even think that Senator Obama has a chance of winning the election? He is consistantly Liberal in his policies and his actions. He has been rated one of the most Liberal Senators since he began his term. The United States is for the most part a conservative country. We do not embrace the large government programs and involvement that Senator Obama consistently supports.

Add to that other factors such as his total lack of experience and the fact that a Democrat has not won a majority of voters since President Carter and it becomes obvious that John McCain will be in the White House come January.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Why would you even think that Senator Obama has a chance of winning the election? He is consistantly Liberal in his policies and his actions. He has been rated one of the most Liberal Senators since he began his term.

Aside from citing the silly ranking by the National Journal, which every four years magically rates the Democratic nominee to be the most liberal in the history of whatever (it was, in fact, Kerry in 2004), can you identify what it is about Obama and his policies that are particularly left-wing compared with other mainstream Democrats?

Add to that other factors such as his total lack of experience

Obama's resume is similar to (and, in fact, a bit MORE impressive than) that of Abraham Lincoln's.  I take it you would have voted against Honest Abe?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

I hope McCain does pick Romney as a running mate. It will make it THAT much easier to vote for Obama.

I think McCain will be ill advised to choose Romney.  A huge fraction of the American electorate will not vote for Romney because of where he goes to church.  This then would undercut one of the strongest issues McCain has against Obama, i.e., where Obama went to church.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[Quote]Why would you even think that Senator Obama has a chance of winning the election? He is consistantly Liberal in his policies and his actions. He has been rated one of the most Liberal Senators since he began his term.

Aside from citing the silly ranking by the National Journal, which every four years magically rates the Democratic nominee to be the most liberal in the history of whatever (it was, in fact, Kerry in 2004), can you identify what it is about Obama and his policies that are particularly left-wing compared with other mainstream Democrats?

Add to that other factors such as his total lack of experience

Obama's resume is similar to (and, in fact, a bit MORE impressive than) that of Abraham Lincoln's.  I take it you would have voted against Honest Abe?[/Quote]

IN...when you were making all kinds of money in the private sector....was it because you were qualified to do the job or did they hire you because you spoke well and made people feel better??

Shouldn't people hold the qualifications to be President of the United States to the HIGHEST standards???

Romney and Richardson.  If Obama takes someone other than Richardson or Hillary and McCain takes Romney.  McCain wins.

McCain needs Romney.  Obama needs Richardson/or Hillary...any variation gives the other guy the oval office.