GAO Report: ObamaCare Will Add $6.2 Trillion to Long-Term Deficit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: GAO Report: ObamaCare Will Add $6.2 Trillion to Long-Term Deficit

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

That's chump change compared to what the deficit (and insurance premiums) would look like without it.

Much less the tens of billions being profiteered every year by the fast, loose, out of control health care sector.

Either you're for a (relatively) equal society, or you're not.  The ACA strives toward the former in almost every regard.

It just doesn't go far enough to address the systemic problems that nobody wants to touch.

Our healthcare system was the best in the world, It just needed some tweaking not a complete overhaul. The ACA is a peice of garbage that should be thrown out. I like some of the provisions but as a whole it sucks. I suppose when the time comes and the true cost of the ACA really shows it will be the usual default action. Blame the GOP.

No, it really wasn't...especially not in terms of access or value.  It's much more expensive, much less efficient and anti-consumer than comparable systems, by far.

And it makes no sense at all to throw out good provisions with the bad.  But if you want to debate the finer points of the law and define your terms, then have at it.

I'm no fan, either, but it's the best our equally broken legislature can muster to this point.  It doesn't go far enough in addressing the systemic, practical deficiencies.  

Ok Matty.. Thats why people from other countries came HERE for medical help... Cuz it wasnt the best in the world. 

It's the best for those who can AFFORD to pay its ridiculously inflated prices.  For those who can't, it's tough cookies and don't leave a mess on the floor when you die.

Besides, medical tourism to the U.S. is terribly over-estimated.  The numbers don't support your assertion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

That's chump change compared to what the deficit (and insurance premiums) would look like without it.

Much less the tens of billions being profiteered every year by the fast, loose, out of control health care sector.

Either you're for a (relatively) equal society, or you're not.  The ACA strives toward the former in almost every regard.

It just doesn't go far enough to address the systemic problems that nobody wants to touch.

Our healthcare system was the best in the world, It just needed some tweaking not a complete overhaul. The ACA is a peice of garbage that should be thrown out. I like some of the provisions but as a whole it sucks. I suppose when the time comes and the true cost of the ACA really shows it will be the usual default action. Blame the GOP.

No, it really wasn't...especially not in terms of access or value.  It's much more expensive, much less efficient and anti-consumer than comparable systems, by far.

And it makes no sense at all to throw out good provisions with the bad.  But if you want to debate the finer points of the law and define your terms, then have at it.

I'm no fan, either, but it's the best our equally broken legislature can muster to this point.  It doesn't go far enough in addressing the systemic, practical deficiencies.  

Ok Matty.. Thats why people from other countries came HERE for medical help... Cuz it wasnt the best in the world. 

It's the best for those who can AFFORD to pay its ridiculously inflated prices.  For those who can't, it's tough cookies and don't leave a mess on the floor when you die.

Besides, medical tourism to the U.S. is terribly over-estimated.  The numbers don't support your assertion.

Doctors have to be paid. It takes alot of time, effort, and money to become a doctor. Medical supplies have to be bought. Those arnt cheap. Doctors need to be taught New procedures. Not cheap. Nurses have to be paid and trained. Not cheap. Somebody is gonna end up paying for all these things. Its just a matter of who is gonna pay for it. either way you look at things wheather you see it directly coming out of your pocket through co-pays or indirectly through taxes either way you have to pay. Or pass it off to the government who will put it on there already over the limit credit card. One way or the other in the end SOMEONE has to pay for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Doctors have to be paid. It takes alot of time, effort, and money to become a doctor. Medical supplies have to be bought. Those arnt cheap. Doctors need to be taught New procedures. Not cheap. Nurses have to be paid and trained. Not cheap. Somebody is gonna end up paying for all these things. Its just a matter of who is gonna pay for it. either way you look at things wheather you see it directly coming out of your pocket through co-pays or indirectly through taxes either way you have to pay. Or pass it off to the government who will put it on there already over the limit credit card. One way or the other in the end SOMEONE has to pay for it.

I'm not disputing any of that.  The problem is in how the costs are arbitrarily calculated and paid - what in hospitals is called the "chargemaster" - in addition to the insurance rackets.

However, anyone who's rational should have a problem with a $77 box of gauze pads.  That's just insane.

There should be no reason for one person to pay $85,000 for a procedure and another person to pay $11,000 for the exact same procedure to achieve the same medical result.  That's price gouging.

Profit is one thing.  Maximizing profit over patient care is quite another.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

Btw...I assume you have proof the entire health care sector is profiteering?

I didn't say the entire sector.  You did.

I said there is profiteering going on, as clearly evidenced by the Brill report...and it's at least enough to sway the entire market for healthcare pricing to over-inflated.

I've read reports on radiology departments in which the policy is productivity, i.e. how many images can be read in the shortest amount of time, and where quality inevitably suffers.  Not good, and not in the patients' best interests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Harvard study finds nearly 45,000 excess deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage

Lack of health insurance now more lethal

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/september/harvard_study_finds_.php

While Republicans gloried in the needless deaths of all those Americans, people's lives will now be saved thanks to Obamacare:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1RmCUeM3V0QYq5SWp7K7EhzbPIX8A_UjAKArutJjjXdBjHD3v

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA3K50_SQ2oWQgTP4vAuOVzhEZFw58JHFbQeWTi_cYOF1z4HMYWQ

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT29oD9p9N_pS1S99Y5b4l0G7x3HhJtU06a_AEpCfCGL9aD8EwZLA

^ This is good news for REAL  Americans.