The 2014 Massachusetts Political Races thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The 2014 Massachusetts Political Races thread

Part one- The Corner Office

As summer starts to wind down, the 2014 election season is heating up in Massachusetts. First, some important dates:

Wednesday, August 20- This is the last day to register to vote and to change party enrollment. If you haven’t already done this…please do!!

Tuesday, September 9th- This is Primary Day! Today is the day you go out and vote for the person you think will best represent you !

Now..onto the races….first up the race for the corner office.

This year we will elect a new governor. On the GOP side, there is Charlie Baker and Mark Fisher. Baker is, by far, the frontrunner in this race. Barring some sort of miracle by the Fisher campaign, Baker’s name will be the one on the ballot in November. In my opinion, Mark Fisher (a tea party candidate) is just too ….well…tea party to stand a chance at the corner office. Most voters realize this and most GOP voters will vote for the person in the primary that they believe stands the best chance against the Democratic candidate.

One the Democratic side of the race, we have Coakley, Grossman and Berwick as the top 3 candidates at the moment. Coakley, the current AG, is the frontrunner but she is involved in a heated race with Grossman, the current treasurer. Berwick, a pediatrician and former health official for the Obama administration is considered the “outsider” in the race although he has a pretty strong grassroots effort going on right now.

This year, the race to follow will definitely be the democratic gubernatorial primary. Really, it seems like Coakley’s to lose and she certainly has a history of losing races that she should have won ( Brown). One hopes she has learned the lessons of that failed campaign. Grossman, rightfully so, is focusing on Coakley’s tendency to put political advantage above the best interests of the people she represents, such as the Partner’s Healthcare deal as well as refusal to take any action regarding former Lawrence Mayor Lantigua in order not to alienate Latino voters in Lawrence.
    It’s entirely possible that Berwick could be the dark horse to win this primary (possible, but not likely). That would be an interesting race- Berwick vs. Baker.

My prediction? It will be Coakley v. Baker and Baker will be in the corner office come January.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Re: The 2014 Massachusetts Political Races thread

Marsha Choakley will win.  This state is hopeless. Charlie Baker is pursuing the "look! I'm a liberal, too!" Strategy.  Always a sure loser.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Marsha Choakley will win.  This state is hopeless. Charlie Baker is pursuing the "look! I'm a liberal, too!" Strategy.  Always a sure loser.

[/QUOTE]

ron, 

It is Martha...not Marsha...Coakley...not Choakley.

Now I know the Choakley is probably your sense of humor peeking out again. But at least IMO you have the right prediction. 

Although Steve Grossman won the State Party endorsement, she has been the front runner in the polls all the way.

And while she did lose that special election to Brown, Baker has his own history of losing.

Remember 2010 when he ran against Deval Patrick on a platform of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism?

Well he is up to bat again for governor with basically the same platform.

I do not think the second time will be the charm for Baker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too funny...sadly I know a lot of people who refer to her in the same way!  It's funny. Baker has definitely developed a more moderate stance towards many issues this time around. I can see where those on the right would call that "liberal"..but the reality is a GOP candidate has no chance of winning in this state with a staunchly conservative agenda. 

Many democrats and independents I know have buyer's remorse when it comes to voting for Patrick a second time around. With independents at least..this may play in Baker's favor.Republicans have a fairly successful history of landing in the Governor's seat. I would not rule anything out at this point. One thing for certain...a Coakley/Baker race will be exciting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Coakley vs. Baker

I ask - why would I vote for the fake liberal (Baker) when I can vote for a real one? Coakley will win unless she just comes off as too distant and elitist.

Both are pretty bad candidates. Neither can fake sincerity the way Deval Patrick can.

The moniker Marcia Coakley is a reference to someone that actually called her that. I think it was Mayor Menninyo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

I ask - why would I vote for the fake liberal (Baker) when I can vote for a real one? Coakley will win unless she just comes off as too distant and elitist.

Both are pretty bad candidates. Neither can fake sincerity the way Deval Patrick can.

The moniker Marcia Coakley is a reference to someone that actually called her that. I think it was Mayor Menninyo.

[/QUOTE]

Too funny....another Menino-ism for the book! Do you think conservatives really feel that way with regards to real liberal vs. fake liberal? If they do, then all the more reason for them to get to the primary and vote since Mark Fisher may be more their cup of tea. What I am trying to say is if the Massachusetts conservatives advance Charlie Baker to the general election..then they can't then complain about how liberal he is since they had ample opportunity to vote for a more conservative candidate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from babytut. Show babytut's posts

[QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

[/QUOTE]

it was obambi.  he came in to campaign for her against brown and didn't even know her name. he called her "marsha"  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too funny...sadly I know a lot of people who refer to her in the same way!  It's funny. Baker has definitely developed a more moderate stance towards many issues this time around. I can see where those on the right would call that "liberal"..but the reality is a GOP candidate has no chance of winning in this state with a staunchly conservative agenda. 

Many democrats and independents I know have buyer's remorse when it comes to voting for Patrick a second time around. With independents at least..this may play in Baker's favor.Republicans have a fairly successful history of landing in the Governor's seat. I would not rule anything out at this point. One thing for certain...a Coakley/Baker race will be exciting.

[/QUOTE]

Marsha Choakley IS funny...but as usual a certain someone is being a wet blanket

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The stench of corruption on Beacon Hill is so rank, even those tied into the public sector corruptocracy,  realize that , for long term stability, they have to throw the greedy bums of the Bulger machine out of the Governor's office for the short term.

Not that they actually like Republicans like Romney or Baker....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ron, 

It is Martha...not Marsha...Coakley...not Choakley.

Now I know the Choakley is probably your sense of humor peeking out again. But at least IMO you have the right prediction. 

Although Steve Grossman won the State Party endorsement, she has been the front runner in the polls all the way.

And while she did lose that special election to Brown, Baker has his own history of losing.

Remember 2010 when he ran against Deval Patrick on a platform of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism?

Well he is up to bat again for governor with basically the same platform.

I do not think the second time will be the charm for Baker.

[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought that's how Obama introduced her when she was running for Senate...and lost.

Baker, following the fools errand of supposed fiscal conservatism/socially liberal, losing platform.  Always has been.  Liberals have never seen a budget, tax, or handout big enough to meet their desires.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Marsha Choakley IS funny...but as usual a certain someone is being a wet blanket

[/QUOTE]

Haha..if you don't have a sense of humor in politics( and life)..you are in big trouble...lol. I could not imagine what life would be like without a sense of humor....!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

Too funny....another Menino-ism for the book! Do you think conservatives really feel that way with regards to real liberal vs. fake liberal? If they do, then all the more reason for them to get to the primary and vote since Mark Fisher may be more their cup of tea. What I am trying to say is if the Massachusetts conservatives advance Charlie Baker to the general election..then they can't then complain about how liberal he is since they had ample opportunity to vote for a more conservative candidate.

[/QUOTE]

Conservatives realize the false metric, social liberal/fiscal conservative, as nothing more than a ramp for any Democrat opponent.

example: how do you say you are ok with the border invasion, but don't want to pay for it? Loser as an issue. Particularly when the progressives want to send visa and planes down to these countries and scoop them up.  

And the liberal brainless voters in this state will eat it up, they will feel so good spending other people's money to satisfy their sense of charitable giving.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Conservatives realize the false metric, social liberal/fiscal conservative, as nothing more than a ramp for any Democrat opponent.

example: how do you say you are ok with the border invasion, but don't want to pay for it? Loser as an issue. Particularly when the progressives want to send visa and planes down to these countries and scoop them up.  

And the liberal brainless voters in this state will eat it up, they will feel so good spending other people's money to satisfy their sense of charitable giving.

[/QUOTE]

Isn't Congress in charge of the purse strings?  

Plus...how can conservatives in this state complain about their own candidate being too liberal...when they are the ones who put him in the race to begin with? You want a conservative candidate..you got him. Go out and campaign for him!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Baker will win ... by the same margin Brown beat Coakley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to high-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Impressive...you are even predicting the margin of victory..lol. It will be interesting for sure. The other day..my dyed in the wool Liberal son told me that he plans on voting for Baker if the choice comes down to Baker vs. Coakley.

Speaking of Baker..I was surprised to hear his comments the other day about the Market Basket thing. He believes that the Governor's office should be more involved in these events, unlike Patrick who is just staying out of it.

Given the possible widespread economic ramifications of this situation..I tend to think Baker has the right perspective on this..unlike our current governor who doesn't seem to be interested in leading any more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The stench of corruption on Beacon Hill is so rank, even those tied into the public sector corruptocracy,  realize that , for long term stability, they have to throw the greedy bums of the Bulger machine out of the Governor's office for the short term.

Not that they actually like Republicans like Romney or Baker....

[/QUOTE]

Crank up .... you stated that you reside in the Commonwealth of Virigina , right .... and you speak of corruption on Beacon Hill , right ..... I have a question for you .... did you vote for Bob McDonnell when he was running for governor of Virgina .... you know him don't you .... he was indicted on federal corruption charges early this year .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to high-road's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Impressive...you are even predicting the margin of victory..lol. It will be interesting for sure. The other day..my dyed in the wool Liberal son told me that he plans on voting for Baker if the choice comes down to Baker vs. Coakley.

Speaking of Baker..I was surprised to hear his comments the other day about the Market Basket thing. He believes that the Governor's office should be more involved in these events, unlike Patrick who is just staying out of it.

Given the possible widespread economic ramifications of this situation..I tend to think Baker has the right perspective on this..unlike our current governor who doesn't seem to be interested in leading any more.

[/QUOTE]

More proof Baker is a progressive. 

Look, I'll hold my nose and vote for the guy, but when will people learn that progressivism is a destroyer of freedom,safety, and economic advancement?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Republicans have issues both on the Massachusetts level and at a national level. At a national level, the establishment wants candidates like "compassionate conservative"  Bushes. They are pliable, controllable by the elites which are the entrenched leaders and their corporate pals with the money. They detest conservatives but pay lip service to them to at least get them to turn out and vote. They would be terrified by a Ted Cruz candidacy and favor someone like Jeb Bush.

Really, what is the difference between Jeb Bush and HIllary Clinton? Not much. 

In Massachusetts, I guess the party panders to the moderates because they think a real conservative has no chance in liberal Massachusetts. A candidate that was conservative on social issues and liberal on fiscal would be dead meat here. I think there are tons of moderates that desire fiscal sanity and would vote for someone that was fiscally conservative and down-played the social issues. Face it - nothing is going to change with abortion and gay marriage here, so as long as someone is not a nut ball religious type, a conservative could get elected here after 8 years of fiscal insanity under mini me. Other moderates also are concerned that the Democrats have too much power and would vote for a Republican governor as long as they weren't the religious type. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Coakley vs. Baker

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Republicans have issues both on the Massachusetts level and at a national level. At a national level, the establishment wants candidates like "compassionate conservative"  Bushes. They are pliable, controllable by the elites which are the entrenched leaders and their corporate pals with the money. They detest conservatives but pay lip service to them to at least get them to turn out and vote. They would be terrified by a Ted Cruz candidacy and favor someone like Jeb Bush.

Really, what is the difference between Jeb Bush and HIllary Clinton? Not much. 

In Massachusetts, I guess the party panders to the moderates because they think a real conservative has no chance in liberal Massachusetts. A candidate that was conservative on social issues and liberal on fiscal would be dead meat here. I think there are tons of moderates that desire fiscal sanity and would vote for someone that was fiscally conservative and down-played the social issues. Face it - nothing is going to change with abortion and gay marriage here, so as long as someone is not a nut ball religious type, a conservative could get elected here after 8 years of fiscal insanity under mini me. Other moderates also are concerned that the Democrats have too much power and would vote for a Republican governor as long as they weren't the religious type. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

republicans are not conservatives. The progressives who post here, and the press don't seem to get that.

after all, isn't Bush kinda the poster child for socially liberal/fiscally conservative? That kinda sums up his platform. His platform was not perfectly so, but he was pro immigration, put through no child left behind, believed in global warming, put forward the clear skies act, Didn't turn out too well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Three candidates for Massachusetts governor have gone on record in support of decreasing the state's sales tax. Predictably, they are Baker(R), Fisher (R) andMcCormick (I).

This could be interesting. When the Mass. legislature voted to increase the sales tax, we were in the midst of a recession. Many other states who raised their taxes during the recession have subsequently lowered them back after the financial crisis passed.

However, I think most of us know that our Massachusetts legislature has little understanding of the word "temporary".

The question remains though, does this issue matter to enough people to make a difference? I'd have to base my vote on more than one issue...but I sure do wish that "temporary tax increases" were indeed really temporary in this state.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Three candidates for Massachusetts governor have gone on record in support of decreasing the state's sales tax. Predictably, they are Baker(R), Fisher (R) andMcCormick (I).

This could be interesting. When the Mass. legislature voted to increase the sales tax, we were in the midst of a recession. Many other states who raised their taxes during the recession have subsequently lowered them back after the financial crisis passed.

However, I think most of us know that our Massachusetts legislature has little understanding of the word "temporary".

The question remains though, does this issue matter to enough people to make a difference? I'd have to base my vote on more than one issue...but I sure do wish that "temporary tax increases" were indeed really temporary in this state.

[/QUOTE]

They can be for a lower sales tax all they want, they don't have any control over it.

if they were morally centered and intellectually honest, they would be for NO sales tax.  

Sales taxes are regressive and hurt the poor disproportinately.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE] republicans are not conservatives. [/QUOTE]

Well, you have repeatedly called 46&2 a liberal or a progressive. So let's just say your categories aren't up to snuff.

Has it ever occurred to you that to the extent these terms define anything, they define scales? There are moderate conservatives like Huntsman, who for sample wants a generally flat tax system but who also incorporates the notion of a couple tax brackets? Then there are harder core conservatives like Paul Ryan who put forth a budget proposal that would shrink total discretionary spending to 100 billion, necessitating the dismantling of almost all agencies.

You've even got conservatives who think policies should be named after pizza jingles.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]
    They can be for a lower sales tax all they want, they don't have any control over it.

But when the executive is Obama, he has control?

if they were morally centered and intellectually honest, they would be for NO sales tax.  

Why is that?

Now you're concerned for the poor?

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why is that?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When have I not been concerned for the poor? Do you think 2nd amendment rights, capitalism, and a small government only benefit the rich? The biggest winners in my scenario are the middle class and the poor.  The big losers are the rich.

The sales tax is a consumption tax on top of taxes already paid on income. That's double taxation. Immoral.

as far as the intellectually honest part, the are clearly using the issue to appear more conservative, when they know there is no chance of changing it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why is that?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When have I not been concerned for the poor? Do you think 2nd amendment rights, capitalism, and a small government only benefit the rich? The biggest winners in my scenario are the middle class and the poor.  The big losers are the rich.

The sales tax is a consumption tax on top of taxes already paid on income. That's double taxation. Immoral.

as far as the intellectually honest part, the are clearly using the issue to appear more conservative, when they know there is no chance of changing it.

[/QUOTE]

Well..with all due respect a lot of the views you've expressed on this site seem to point towards you favoring social Darwinism...so it's somewhat surprising to even me that you are concerned about the poor. Honestly, I some people are only concerned about the poor insomuch as it affects them personally.

What would be some policies you would favor to show your support for the poor, besides doing away with the sales tax. For example..if we were to do away with the sales tax altogether, then where would that financial burden shift? What programs would you cut..or what revenue sources would you substitute for a sales tax?