14 stabbed at college in Texas. Will the victims familes be flown to Washington to support banning knives??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: 14 stabbed at college in Texas. Will the victims familes be flown to Washington to support banning knives??

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

Let me make it easier for you: Go reread the threads if you genuinely cannot remember my positions on various gun proposals.

Ok thanks for admitting you are full of shlt.

Now slime away

Never question WDYWN....

My you've been stalking me (more than usual) lately. I didn't realize I hurt your feelings so badly.

You know how sensitive I am. Why do you continue to hurt me so : (

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 14 stabbed at college in Texas. Will the victims familes be flown to Washington to support banning knives??

The type of acute paranoia that would lead someone to hoard assault weapons seems pretty close to a mental illness, to me.

Various forms of alcoholism and drug abuse should also send up red flags and spark some debate about who has the guns and what they may do with them.  PTSD from serving in combat is another diagnosis that doesn't really square well with gun abuse.

This is not really nor ever been about the guns themselves; it's about the morons and mental defectives brandishing them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

The type of acute paranoia that would lead someone to hoard assault weapons seems pretty close to a mental illness, to me.

Various forms of alcoholism and drug abuse should also send up red flags and spark some debate about who has the guns and what they may do with them.  PTSD from serving in combat is another diagnosis that doesn't really square well with gun abuse.

This is not really nor ever been about the guns themselves; it's about the morons and mental defectives brandishing them.

I guess you must be on Mars or something. Did the President just go through his three-ring circus of political exploitation on the basis of improving the way we deal with the mentally or emotionally ill? Maybe I missed it but for him it has been nothing about what you say, but all about guns.

And the quote of the year from the a hole:

"This is all about these families, and families all across America who are saying,'Let's make it a little harder for our kids to get gunned down.' "

Yeah, no problem with the kids getting maimed and killed as long as it is harder to do so!!

What leadership! See...even without this law passing, this kook had to resort to a knife to maim 15 of our kids and none got killed! Victory! Just think of how many people could be saved if they would only use a knife to attack someone instead of a gun!

Sorry for attacking Obama. I should just shut up and put up with his stupidity.

I wasn't referring to the president, so not sure why you felt the need to bring him into this.  But it seems to be pathological for some folks here.

As I said, this is about WHO has the guns, and not really WHAT guns (or weapons) they have.

At the same time, there's no use in denying that over a dozen people in Newtown are dead because a person who should not have had access to guns had it.

Witness the obstruction in Congress now where they refuse to even allow debate on issues like background checks - a policy aimed specifically at ne'er-do-wells and other degenerates.

And I'll repeat: 14 people got stabbed in Texas.  TErrible, but they all lived.  If the perp had had a gun, some of them would likely be dead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

A prosecutor says the man accused of killing a West Virginia sheriff wasn't allowed to possess a firearm. But the man was still able to buy a gun from a local dealer, even though the dealer ran the required background check.

Mingo County Prosecutor Michael Sparks says a breakdown in the reporting system enabled Tennis Melvin Maynard to purchase the gun. Sparks calls it "an inexcusable delay."

"At this juncture, it appears that the system didn't work, for whatever reason," Sparks told The Associated Press. "And we're exploring that."

So even with a background check being done this guy was still able to get a gun because the background check is only as good as the information that is available. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A prosecutor says the man accused of killing a West Virginia sheriff wasn't allowed to possess a firearm. But the man was still able to buy a gun from a local dealer, even though the dealer ran the required background check.

Mingo County Prosecutor Michael Sparks says a breakdown in the reporting system enabled Tennis Melvin Maynard to purchase the gun. Sparks calls it "an inexcusable delay."

"At this juncture, it appears that the system didn't work, for whatever reason," Sparks told The Associated Press. "And we're exploring that."

So even with a background check being done this guy was still able to get a gun because the background check is only as good as the information that is available. 

True.  And sometimes people break the speed limit or drive while unlicensed.  That doesn't dispel the notion of a speed limit or licensing (or for driving safely).

Why wasn't the guy "allowed to possess a firearm" in the first place?

Given all the apoplexy about peoples' precious little freedomz, a universal background check is probably the least invasive way of trying to come to terms with this nation's culture of gun violence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

THE POINT OF THE THREAD:

To illustrate that mass murder is done by people with mental illness!

To try and say "if, we take the right to have certain guns away or outlaw buying them from law abiding citizens then mentally ill people will no longer be a threat" is assinine!!

There are many ways to commit mass murder with being near a gun, assault rifle, or knife!

Address the problem not just the inanimate object used for political reasons!

[QUOTE] 

Here's the problem with this statement. People were stabbed, but nobody was murdered therefore you litterally have no point at all. But please continue to dig a hole.

The issue is violence and peoples attempt to kill. Because this guy was bad at it doesnt mean zip!

He could have used a machete and been more successful but, that is not the point! He's has mental issues that taking away all guns would not stop him from committing violent acts because IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I agree and you must not let the acts of a few restrict the freedoms of the many!

BTW: you call hoarding what some call collecting.

Are you a coin or stamp hoarder?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS!!!!

Right.  It's about the idiots and crazies who have the guns. (and the people defending them)

Glad we cleared that up....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS!!!!
    Right.  It's about the idiots and crazies who have the guns. (and the people defending them)

[QUOTE]

Me too; so we agree the govt should find ways to identify those with mentally illness and limit or restrict their access to guns and leave the law abiding mentally capable alone!

finally!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

True.  And sometimes people break the speed limit or drive while unlicensed.  That doesn't dispel the notion of a speed limit or licensing (or for driving safely).

Right...but the talk from these politicians is that universal background checks will keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.....well....apparently not. 

It will also not prevent the next mass shooting or keep guns out of criminals hands. 

Given all the apoplexy about peoples' precious little freedomz, a universal background check is probably the least invasive way of trying to come to terms with this nation's culture of gun violence.

I have no issue with background checks. But don't pi55 on my head and tell me it's raining by telling me it's going to make things safer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I agree and you must not let the acts of a few restrict the freedoms of the many!

The ability to blow someone away isn't much of a freedom.  Gun ownership is both a right and a privilege.  A right because our constitution partially provides for it; and a privilege because of the power inherent in the hand that wields it against someone who's unarmed.

Hoarding, collecting...same difference...usually it points to obsessive-compulsive behavior which, in some people, can manifest itself as a serious mental disorder.  If guns are really just tools, then what do you need 200 hammers for...?

I would say the same about someone who hoarded cats and didn't take care of them properly lest they spread disease.

As far as the "freedom of the many", nobody's "freedom" is adversely affected by background checks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Right...but the talk from these politicians is that universal background checks will keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.....well....apparently not. 

It will also not prevent the next mass shooting or keep guns out of criminals hands. 

I have no issue with background checks. But don't pi55 on my head and tell me it's raining by telling me it's going to make things safer.

Only time will tell.  This is a long game.

One thing it WILL do, however, is make sure that gun dealers are on the up-and-up and not willingly selling guns to people who aren't supposed to have them.  Using the guns is one thing; distributing guns is another.

As they say, an ounce of prevention can be better than a pound of cure.

The checks won't prevent ALL criminals from getting guns through legal sources, but it may prevent some...and even one maniac denied would make the effort worth it.

Either way, nobody's freedomz are in jeopardy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

IT'S NOT ABOUT GUNS!!!!

[QUOTE]

Me too; so we agree the govt should find ways to identify those with mentally illness and limit or restrict their access to guns and leave the law abiding mentally capable alone!

finally!!

Nobody is attacking "law-abiding, mentally capable" gun owners or their freedomz.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

THE POINT OF THE THREAD:

To illustrate that mass murder is done by people with mental illness!

To try and say "if, we take the right to have certain guns away or outlaw buying them from law abiding citizens then mentally ill people will no longer be a threat" is assinine!!

There are many ways to commit mass murder with being near a gun, assault rifle, or knife!

Address the problem not just the inanimate object used for political reasons!

Then why didn't you come right out and say that .... you belittled the victims and thier families of both attacks .

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

The ability to blow someone away isn't much of a freedom.  Gun ownership is both a right and a privilege.  A right because our constitution partially provides for it; and a privilege because of the power inherent in the hand that wields it against someone who's unarmed.

Hoarding, collecting...same difference...usually it points to obsessive-compulsive behavior which, in some people, can manifest itself as a serious mental disorder.  If guns are really just tools, then what do you need 200 hammers for...?

Not all guns are the same. So it's not the same as having two claw hammers. There are handguns, rifles, shotguns all giving different shooting experience. If one likes to target shoot and hunt then they would want different guns. Depending on what they hunt they'd need different rifles. You wouldn't use a gun used for killing moose to kill rabbit or kill turkey. 

You also wouldn't target shoot with a deer rifle as the ammo is expensive. So one would have a handgun for that. Or maybe a .22 rifle as .22 ammo is very cheap. With handguns one might like to have a big caliber and small caliber. Especially if one wants to teach their wife or kids to shoot. New shooter shouldn't start out with a .44.

Some may like the look of old west style guns and want a single action pistol or a Henry lever action rifle for fun target shooting.

So depending on what you're doing one would want a different type of gun...not unlike a carpenter needing a different type of hammer depending on what was being done...claw, ball pein, club, sledge, joiner mallet, framing, soft-faced, etc.

Millions of gun owners have multiple guns without ever an incident. 

I would say the same about someone who hoarded cats and didn't take care of them properly lest they spread disease.

As far as the "freedom of the many", nobody's "freedom" is adversely affected by background checks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Because one instance of background chekcs failing means the politicans are wrong to say that universal background checks won't ever work, at all?

I didn't say they won't work at all...but you know that

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Only time will tell.  This is a long game.

One thing it WILL do, however, is make sure that gun dealers are on the up-and-up and not willingly selling guns to people who aren't supposed to have them.  Using the guns is one thing; distributing guns is another.

I thought gun dealers 

As they say, an ounce of prevention can be better than a pound of cure.

The checks won't prevent ALL criminals from getting guns through legal sources, but it may prevent some...and even one maniac denied would make the effort worth it.

Either way, nobody's freedomz are in jeopardy.

Except that criminals don't buy guns through legal process. So there's that

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

We need to arm teachers with guns and knives! If more people carried knives there would be fewer knifings.

Add birth control to the list, and I think progressives will start to sign on to this idea.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The ability to blow someone away isn't much of a freedom.  

No one is saying blowing someone away is a freedom! The right for stable law abiding citizens to own guns is a right!

No one is saying background checks adversely affects freedom. The federal govt saying no one can have certain type guns that millions already own safely and responsibly becaue a few acted out of mental illness is BS and a against freedom

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Except that criminals don't buy guns through legal process. So there's that

Where do criminals get their guns?

Black market; theft etc.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts