150 years ago today Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

150 years ago today Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address

I wonder what Lincoln would say today ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: 150 years ago today Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address

Probably "what a disappointment that this land of opportunity has become the land of entitlement"

Kennedy may say "why did the generation of, ask not what your country can do for you but, what you can do for your country"; turn into the generation of My country needs to provide for me"!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."  - AL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Not only is the Republican Party no longer the party of Lincoln. It is also no longer the party of Teddy Roosevelt or even Dwight Eisenhower. In fact, the party has gone so far off the rails in recent years, that it is a bit of a stretch to say that they are even the party of Reagan anymore, as Reagan fails today's GOP purity tests (raised taxes, granted amnesty to undocumented immigrants, signed the START Treaty, etc.).

Today's republican party is a political party based almost entirely on a strategy of political hijacking, while maintaining an almost a perfect vacuum that is void of any actual policies.

Well almost:  Their only real policy is 1% and corporate government subsidy maintenance and enhancement, that is carefully shrouded in militarism, gun anarchy, fake patriotism, religion, xenophobia, tribalism and other Pavlovian wedge issues used to trick the poor and uneducated to vote against their futures.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

Probably "what a disappointment that this land of opportunity has become the land of entitlement"

Kennedy may say "why did the generation of, ask not what your country can do for you but, what you can do for your country"; turn into the generation of My country needs to provide for me"!

Yeah. I'm sure the man who launched a war to preserve the union would embrace the consultant-produced and divisive conservative rhetoric of "takers vs. makers".

In response to tvoter's comment:
    [QUOTE]lol, its amusing to watch the dems dream admin implode on itself![/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What now? The first is my answer to a question. The second is my feelings toward a subject!

why you stalking me widget

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

What now?

Don't get upset just because you were called out for playing stupid political games. Besides, as you recently pointed out, anyone can post anything.

Have one on me:

http://www.couponaholic.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/kleenex-tissue.jpg

[/QUOTE]

lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

"Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."  - AL

Well said and true. Lincoln was a self made man, and valued individual self reliance and hard work.

“You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.”
    Abraham Lincoln

I don't believe in a law to prevent a man from getting rich; it would do more harm than good. So while we do not propose any war upon capital, we do wish to allow the humblest man an equal chance to get rich with everybody else.
    --March 6, 1860 Speech at New Haven, Connecticut

“You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence”
    Abraham Lincoln

As argued in Rich Lowry's new book, Lincoln Unbound, Abraham Lincoln was perhaps the foremost proponent of opportunity in all of American history. His economics of dynamism and change and his gospel of discipline and self-improvement are particularly important to a country that has been stagnating economically and suffering from a social breakdown that is limiting economic mobility. No 19th-century figure can be an exact match for either of our contemporary competing political ideologies, but Lincoln the paladin of individual initiative, the worshiper of the Founding Fathers, and the advocate of self-control is more naturally a fellow traveler with today’s conservatives than with progressives.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

"Where's Barack? Oh, playing golf and going to a fundraiser?"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

.... trick the poor and uneducated to vote against their futures.

[/QUOTE]

We know the future the progressives have in mind for the poor and uneducated...

With the private sector under attack, there will be no opportunity to rise on hard work and merit. The poor will be subsidized to remain poor. They will be encouraged to become lifetime dependents of the Nanny State, as needed "clients" for the useless army of highly paid arrogant public sector liberal bureaucrats.

The public sector teacher unions will feather their nest, and ensure the crappy public education system wont educate those in need.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

What now?

Don't get upset just because you were called out for playing stupid political games. Besides, as you recently pointed out, anyone can post anything.

Have one on me:

http://www.couponaholic.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/kleenex-tissue.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Wait....so NOW it's ok to call someone out for playing political games? When did the rules change???

Sections
Shortcuts