49 years today ..... The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

49 years today ..... The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: 49 years today ..... The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed .

Lyndon Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964 marks the exact moment that southern Democrats switched parties to form the southern wing of the GOP....a group that did not embrace civil rights (some to this day). 

Johnson was spot on when he famously said of his Democratic party: "We have lost the South for a generation."

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

It was the southern Democrats who were the party of slavery and, later, segregation. It was George Wallace, not John Tower, who stood in the southern schoolhouse door to block desegregation! The vast majority of Congressional GOP voted FOR the Civil Rights of 1964-65. The vast majority of those opposed to those acts were southern Democrats. Southern Democrats led to infamous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The gradual realignment of the South had been going for nearly forty years by 1964, and continued at a glacial pace after that. The scales ultimately tipped toward the Republicans as a younger generation of Southerners embraced Republicanism.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In 1952, Eisenhower carried three Southern states. In 1956, he carried five, including deep Southern states like Louisiana. Eisenhower came 15,000 votes in North Carolina from carrying a majority of the Southern states; he managed to carry a majority of the South's popular vote. And the days of Republicans receiving 5 percent of the vote in Deep Southern states were by then over. Eisenhower received at least one-third of the vote in every state in the Old Confederacy.

The same is true for Nixon in 1960, when the pro-Civil Rights Nixon, who, as Kornacki observes, was representing an Administration that enforced Brown v. Board, carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida. Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina were all decided by five points or less. Without LBJ as the Veep candidate, Nixon may well have carried those states - indeed Republicans picked up their first elected Southern Senate seat in history in a 1960 special election shortly after the election.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Before the Supreme Court raps up its term at the end of June, 5 major cases involving 4 issues, heard in oral arguments months ago, have still not had their rulings issued.

One of those 4 issues is Civil Rights. The case involves the Voting Rights Act. Passed in 1965, in short it outlawed discriminatory voting practices. These practices mostly were practiced in Southern stated to prevent certain groups from exercising their legal right to vote.

In particular, SCOTUS will be ruling on Section 5 of The Voting Rights Act.

A good source for those who are interested is the SCOTUS.blog. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

in short it outlawed discriminatory voting practices

--------------------------

But only in a handful of states.  That is the issue

Gregin,

You are right. But that was a 1st post about this very important decision coming up.

I do not want a 1st post to be too long with TMI about such a complex legal issue.

I do not know about you, but when I write something, or speak to someone or to a group of people, I try very hard to keep as they say who my audience is for what I am writing or speaking.

That is why I made my reference to SCOTUS.blog. There you can look at this case in as much or as little detail as you are inclined. There is some great commentary in there about why it was constitutional for it to apply to certain states and not to others.

They have it designed for lay people right through to law professors. For free. And politically neutral.

To bring around back to your point. Those illegal voting practives, like requiring people to pay a fee to vote, or pass a test, were not happening all over the country. They were concentrated in certain southern states to depress the vote of people of color.

You need to have "standing" to be heard up the food chain to SCOTUS. Here, in MA, for eg., we did not have such outright outrageous civil rights violations. Thus that help justify the constitutional argument that all states did not have to be treated the same.

Everyone here in the forums has different backgrounds, schooling and work experience. But, the legal system affects everone, as does our political system. Posters like WDYWN, Reuben, myself and any other poster with formal legal training can write and debate fine legal points...I hope. 

But this is not a legal forum. So, I try to keep my posts substantive but not so they begin to resemble a dry legal brief, etc. 

Hope we are good. I am very happy if one or more posters wants to discuss cases. But, I do not want to be in "broadcast mode". Too long, too much detail, too much legalese for most posters at the first pitch...to use a baseball term....they will skip right over it IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

It was the southern Democrats who were the party of slavery and, later, segregation. It was George Wallace, not John Tower, who stood in the southern schoolhouse door to block desegregation! The vast majority of Congressional GOP voted FOR the Civil Rights of 1964-65. The vast majority of those opposed to those acts were southern Democrats. Southern Democrats led to infamous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The gradual realignment of the South had been going for nearly forty years by 1964, and continued at a glacial pace after that. The scales ultimately tipped toward the Republicans as a younger generation of Southerners embraced Republicanism.

Can your head be any deeper in the sand?  You got the racist vote in 1964, and have sold your souls to hold onto it for the past fifty years.  Now you're crying like a b1tch anytime anybody points out the obvious.  Take a look at the 1964 presidential Election results.  Goldwater was from AZ, BTW ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yeah, hold on to that "republicans are racist" big lie slomag, it's not like democrats have much else for their supporters to hold on to.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

This Act of Congress is one of the most important piece of Legislation that has been past in modern times ! I was alive when it past and I can recall the Civil Rights Movement ... it was a very important time in our country and in the world .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

This Act of Congress is one of the most important piece of Legislation that has been past in modern times ! I was alive when it past and I can recall the Civil Rights Movement ... it was a very important time in our country and in the world.

It's sad that it was even necessary in this country.

--

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

This Act of Congress is one of the most important piece of Legislation that has been past in modern times ! I was alive when it past and I can recall the Civil Rights Movement ... it was a very important time in our country and in the world.

It's sad that it was even necessary in this country.

--

I hope we learn from the mistakes of others !

Semper Fi !

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In an earlier post, I wrote an important Civil Rights case will be decided by SCOTUS by the end of June.

It is Shelby County v. Holder. It involves whether to strike down Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.

Here is some of the analysis from Scotus.blog.

However the Court decides Shelby County, Section 5 is not likely to last until its current expiration date of 2031, at which time the temporary, emergency provision will have had a life of sixty-six years. By then, demographic change will have eroded the power of the Justice Department and courts to draw race-conscious districts as a remedy for voter discrimination.

In the oral argument, all eyes on the Court were focused on the question of changes in black political participation rates and black officeholding.  But it was too small a window through which to look at the question of racial progress.

More fundamental demographic change is occurring in the South that is relevant to the enforcement of Section 5. Majority-minority constituencies will become increasingly hard to create. Black voters are scattering; residential levels of residential segregation in the South are now lower than in the Northeast or Midwest. Blacks who have moved to the suburbs live in what are sometimes called “global neighborhoods” – one in which all minority groups are well-represented. That is equally true of central cities.  As a result, it will become extraordinarily hard to piece together “ability to elect” districts that create safe legislative seats for minority candidates. Thus, without any judicial help, Section 5 is likely to become a relic from our racial past.

Wouldn’t that be nice: Voting rights secure (most of the statute is permanent), but both the Court and Congress out of the picture. 

Posted in FeaturedThe Court and the Voting Rights Act

So agreed, shame on our country we had to pass both the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and theVoting Rights Act of 1965.

But for those alive the or who know the history they were absolutely needed. Also, LBJ, a brilliant politician in many ways, had a lot of political capital after John F Kennedy's assasination. He was also a man who knew how to wield power.

Far from perfect, his legacy should have been these acts as well as quick passage of the Medicare Act. But Vietnam grew under him. Broken, he refused to seek re-election.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

This Act of Congress is one of the most important piece of Legislation that has been past in modern times ! I was alive when it past and I can recall the Civil Rights Movement ... it was a very important time in our country and in the world .

Thank Everett Dirksen and the repubicans, like LBJ did.  You can do it, I know you can.

Thanks ..... Everett Dirksen and Bobby Kennedy too ..... both were true civil rights leaders

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

To bring around back to your point. Those illegal voting practives, like requiring people to pay a fee to vote, or pass a test, were not happening all over the country.

-------------------------------------

And now they are not happening anywhere.  If you were one of the states singled out 50 years ago, you'd be pi55ed too.  That is the point of the challenge.  Just rewrite it to include all states.  Done.  But I got a feeling some of the other states would go hissy that they are now included, and Mass would be leading that charge.

Gregin,

And that is why in Shelby County v. Holder, in this challenge to Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, Section 5 may not survive. This is not a case looking to expand Section 5 of the VRA but to eliminate it.  Not that other states need also need to be included but if the original offending states need it anymore. (There is plenty of constitutional backup that all states do not have to be treated the same in all circumstances)

If it does survive, most court watchers do not feel it will last until its original expiration date.

But back in the middle 60s, it was absolutely needed and more. Both white people and people of color went down into those offending states to do thing like lead voter registration drives. They were attacked by not just ordivary citizens but by the very police that shouls have been protecting them from harm. People risked injury and their very lives so these acts were not just words on a lot of paper.

Some of those people were in fact murdered. 

So no, if I lived in one of those states at the time, I would have been ASHAMED, to say the least, of the defacto segregation, the intimidation and violence by whites on people of color, etc. I would have WELCOMED both the Civil Rights act AND the Voting Rights Act.

I also would have gone out of my state for college and beyond schooling. Then have to decide whether I wanted to use that schooling to help change things in my state or be elsewhere where I was a better fit and where I wanted to raise my own family.

I also know from personal experience that I do not follow my parents politics. Quite the opposite. They do not even respect mine and my core set of beliefs and moral values. And they grew up and live in RI...hardly a "red" state. So I have no trouble stating I would have walked away back then from even more different ways of thinking and living and being in this world.

I hope we are good Gregin. I am being straight up with you as you are with me. When the ruling comes down, and the majority opinion and perhaps minority opinions are available, it will be interesting to say the least how this divide court will roll. I can predict Tuesday's election and the over under far better than this SCOTUS.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

We're always good Andie.

"But back in the middle 60s, it was absolutely needed and more"

Agreed.  Half a century changes things.

BTW, can you cite example of states being treated unequally like this?

Gregin,

Just wanted to be sure. It really means something to me. This "librul" has worked hard to give respect and hopefully earn the respect of forum posters with different points of view....like you on some issues. 

I am not here to try to be adversarial or "win" a debate(s). Not to get too serious, it ain't easy to be in here sometimes. But when mutual respect is there, I find I learn something as well. I will not name names, but a handful of more covservative guys I think trust me not to attack them or their points of view. 

Now, after I get a little lunch, I will make that post my next thing. If you do not see it, assume the commentary section broke again like yesterday.

That was fun...again.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

....despite fierce opposition by Democrats, it passed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Yeah, hold on to that "republicans are racist" big lie slomag, it's not like democrats have much else for their supporters to hold on to.

--

So those states voting for the first Republican Presidential candidate since Ulysses S Grant had absolutely nothing to do with the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  Stick your head in a little further in the sand - when your hair feels slick, it's time to drill baby drill.

Sections
Shortcuts