49 years today ..... The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 49 years today ..... The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed .

And yet some people still lose their minds when they see a bi-racial couple on a television commercial.

Unrelated, perhaps, but still relevant.

The Birchers never died.  They just changed clothes.

Also one reason why I can never join the Dem Party, either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

So those states voting for the first Republican Presidential candidate since Ulysses S Grant had absolutely nothing to do with the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  Stick your head in a little further in the sand - when your hair feels slick, it's time to drill baby drill.

Correct. The demographic changes had far more to do with the Democrat party's move to the far left from the more centrists positions held by Kennedy, Johnson, etc before 1968. They left these people with no choice but to express their more conservative values differently. As previously pointed out, this was a long slow change, not specifically related to civil rights.

It's either that or you can believe that a bunch of racists decided out of the blue to join the party that had been opposed to racism since their inception and took the lead in passing the civil rights legislation of 1964. Your choice.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S. It's very difficult to imagine this legislation passing Congress today.  Despite the relative identities of the combatants, this Leg. is broken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

[QUOTE]So those states voting for the first Republican Presidential candidate since Ulysses S Grant had absolutely nothing to do with the Civil Rights Act of 1964?  Stick your head in a little further in the sand - when your hair feels slick, it's time to drill baby drill.

Correct. The demographic changes had far more to do with the Democrat party's move to the far left from the more centrists positions held by Kennedy, Johnson, etc before 1968. They left these people with no choice but to express their more conservative values differently. As previously pointed out, this was a long slow change, not specifically related to civil rights.

It's either that or you can believe that a bunch of racists decided out of the blue to join the party that had been opposed to racism since their inception and took the lead in passing the civil rights legislation of 1964. Your choice.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about?  These states voted against Johnson in 1964.  Kennedy carried Georgia by 25 points four years earlier.  There was absolutely nothing long and slow about this change - these were the bluest of the blue states - you saw the electoral map in 1964 - here it was eight years earlier ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

And yet some people still lose their minds when they see a bi-racial couple on a television commercial.

Typically nasty underhanded smear, that your political opponents are racists.

Like saying the violent radical Leftist bombers of the 60s never changed their hate-America stripes, like Bill Ayers, they just infiltrated the liberal Establishment

The South was moving GOP for decades, for various reasons. The idea that the South today is anything like the South of 50 years ago is beyond absurd. Inner city blacks are migrating back South for good jobs, abandoning the failed liberal welfare cities like Detroit..

Half of today's Virginians were born elsewhere. 65% of Floridians, 40% of Georgians and NC, 53% of Marylanders...

Yet Northern liberal politicans, , whose constituents are abandoning the liberal welfare state failures to move to the booming South, still live in the past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

It was the southern Democrats who were the party of slavery and, later, segregation. It was George Wallace, not John Tower, who stood in the southern schoolhouse door to block desegregation! The vast majority of Congressional GOP voted FOR the Civil Rights of 1964-65. The vast majority of those opposed to those acts were southern Democrats. Southern Democrats led to infamous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The gradual realignment of the South had been going for nearly forty years by 1964, and continued at a glacial pace after that. The scales ultimately tipped toward the Republicans as a younger generation of Southerners embraced Republicanism.

Can your head be any deeper in the sand?  You got the racist vote in 1964, and have sold your souls to hold onto it for the past fifty years.  Now you're crying like a b1tch anytime anybody points out the obvious.  Take a look at the 1964 presidential Election results.  Goldwater was from AZ, BTW ...

dont you read my post, with facts that debunk the liberal idea that racist Democrats moved en mass to the GOP...
    In 1952, Eisenhower carried three Southern states. In 1956, he carried five, including deep Southern states like Louisiana. Eisenhower came within 15,000 votes in North Carolina from carrying a majority of the Southern states; he managed to carry a majority of the South's popular vote. And the days of Republicans receiving 5 percent of the vote in Deep Southern states were by then over. Eisenhower received at least one-third of the vote in every state in the Old Confederacy.

The same is true for Nixon in 1960, when the pro-Civil Rights Nixon, who, as Kornacki observes, was representing an Administration that enforced Brown v. Board, carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida. Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina were all decided by five points or less. Without LBJ as the Veep candidate, Nixon may well have carried those states - indeed Republicans picked up their first elected Southern Senate seat in history in a 1960 special election shortly after the election.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Typically nasty underhanded smear, that your political opponents are racists.

Like saying the violent radical Leftist bombers of the 60s never changed their hate-America stripes, like Bill Ayers, they just infiltrated the liberal Establishment

The South was moving GOP for decades, for various reasons. The idea that the South today is anything like the South of 50 years ago is beyond absurd. Inner city blacks are migrating back South for good jobs, abandoning the failed liberal welfare cities like Detroit..

Half of today's Virginians were born elsewhere. 65% of Floridians, 40% of Georgians and NC, 53% of Marylanders...

Yet Northern liberal politicans, , whose constituents are abandoning the liberal welfare state failures to move to the booming South, still live in the past.

[/QUOTE]

I mentioned Dems and Birchers, specifically.

So, who am I "smearing", in your view...?

Your guilty conscience showing is not my problem; it's yours.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I am not here to try to be adversarial or "win" a debate(s). Not to get too serious

-------------------------------

Well there's your problem right there :-)

Watch WDYWN and I pi55 on each other in one thread, and be completely cordial and even agree in another - even on the Music Forum.

There is basicially nothing I take here personally.

"Right.  Forget about Camelot.  Tis a silly place"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Gregin,

Recommended Citation: Amy Howe, Future of voting rights up in the air: In Plain EnglishSCOTUSblog (Jun. 7, 2013, 12:46 PM), http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/future-of-voting-rights-up-in-the-air-in-plain-english          

First, there is , IMO, a good place to go on this issue.  Heck, it even states Recommended Citation. Plus, if you have not, you can play around scotusblog.com for awhile.

You can even, for free, subscibe, to the digest they put out. So the digest comes to whatever inbox you like.

You are playing with my Camelot dream. How did you know I have been obsessed with King Arthur et al since I saw the musical on stage, saw the movie, read the books, drove my husband beyond distraction watcing the movie over and over and over. This is serious. Have got the vinyl, then cassette, then CD. Even workout to it. Took a course on the King Arthur legend.

And of course, when Jack and Jackie Kennedy occupied the WH, and the era was nicknamed Camelot. Well...our honeymoon was in Hyannisport.

Maybe I should weigh in in the Music forum. Father taught music for 40 years. Played the trumpet. Husband started at Berklee in Boston with guitar performance major.

I played French horn since I was 10. Bass guitar in high school. 

Maybe it is Camelot in the Music Forum...and I have been missing out on somethin I love to hear people talk about and weigh in when I am ready. 

Maybe tis a silly place. But when the manure is really flying at each other it really seems like posters are trying their best to verbally hurt each other. Things I do not think they would say if they were face to face...real life. And of course we now have MrCricket the newbie...kinda. miscricket set her page to private. Two other names were directed at me. Got an email from BDC that others had reported them and their decision on each. 

Also set my page to private.

Was trying to avoid any personal drama but this one is in a league of his own. Do not fight him. Unlike you he is on a mission...just like Godverment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

It was the southern Democrats who were the party of slavery and, later, segregation. It was George Wallace, not John Tower, who stood in the southern schoolhouse door to block desegregation! The vast majority of Congressional GOP voted FOR the Civil Rights of 1964-65. The vast majority of those opposed to those acts were southern Democrats. Southern Democrats led to infamous filibuster of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The gradual realignment of the South had been going for nearly forty years by 1964, and continued at a glacial pace after that. The scales ultimately tipped toward the Republicans as a younger generation of Southerners embraced Republicanism.

Can your head be any deeper in the sand?  You got the racist vote in 1964, and have sold your souls to hold onto it for the past fifty years.  Now you're crying like a b1tch anytime anybody points out the obvious.  Take a look at the 1964 presidential Election results.  Goldwater was from AZ, BTW ...

dont you read my post, with facts that debunk the liberal idea that racist Democrats moved en mass to the GOP...
    In 1952, Eisenhower carried three Southern states. In 1956, he carried five, including deep Southern states like Louisiana. Eisenhower came within 15,000 votes in North Carolina from carrying a majority of the Southern states; he managed to carry a majority of the South's popular vote.And the days of Republicans receiving 5 percent of the vote in Deep Southern states were by then over. Eisenhower received at least one-third of the vote in every state in the Old Confederacy.

The same is true for Nixon in 1960, when the pro-Civil Rights Nixon, who, as Kornacki observes, was representing an Administration that enforced Brown v. Board, carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida. Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina were all decided by five points or less. Without LBJ as the Veep candidate, Nixon may well have carried those states - indeed Republicans picked up their first elected Southern Senate seat in history in a 1960 special election shortly after the election.

[/QUOTE]

If that was true, why did all the states you claim were starting to swing toward Republicans vote for Johnson in 1964, and only the deepest of the southern states vote for Goldwater?

Eisenhower won in 52 and 56 in landslide elections.  Only the racist states voted against him, as they had voted against Republicans for the past 80 years.  in 1964 that flipped - only the racist states voted against LBJ.  

We're not talking about Texas, Tennessee, Virginia and Florida, who all voted for Hoover forty years before your alleged paradigm shift.  We're talking about the states that voted for Strom Thurmond when he ran for President.

Kennedy won Georgia by 25 points in 1960.  LBJ lost it by 10 in 1964.  A 35-point swing in Georgia!  You can argue that eventually those states would have become GOP states.  You can argue that Republicans as a whole were not on the wrong side of history with regards to the Civil Rights and Voting Acts.  But you can't argue that the GOP did not pick up racist votes en masse, and have held onto them ever since.  35 points in Georgia.  You can't intelligently make that argument.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Matty,

I have no stickers on my car. Not anymore. None on my husband's. It is pragmatic. Things have gotten so ugly. Do not want to make my family a target...or myself. Even will not put on any Grateful Dead stickers. Not anymore.

Careful where and what time I wear a "message" tee or sweatshirt or hoodie. Used to feel great about expressing my views that way. Now, I am back to wearing my alumni stuff as well as the Boston sport teams.

But, in MA, that designation "unenrolled" just galls me. Plus if you do not join a party, it limits your activism.

Bi-racial is still not over. Nor is it over for same-sex couples together in public and not hiding their relationship. Two women just walking or shopping and holding hands, a mild form of a PDA, and see the hatred it will ignite. 

2 rulings are about to be issued involving same-sex marriage. One challenges Prop. 8...again. The other takes on DOMA. 

The momentum seems to be on the side of equal rights but even in "librul" MA, the minds and actions are still pretty ugly if you do not conform to normal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In 1952, Eisenhower carried three Southern states. In 1956, he carried five, including deep Southern states like Louisiana. Eisenhower came within 15,000 votes in North Carolina from carrying a majority of the Southern states; he managed to carry a majority of the South's popular vote.And the days of Republicans receiving 5 percent of the vote in Deep Southern states were by then over. Eisenhower received at least one-third of the vote in every state in the Old Confederacy.

If that was true, why did all the states you claim were starting to swing toward Republicans vote for Johnson in 1964, and only the deepest of the southern states vote for Goldwater?

Eisenhower won in 52 and 56 in landslide elections.  Only the racist states voted against him, as they had voted against Republicans for the past 80 years.  in 1964 that flipped - only the racist states voted against LBJ.  

We're not talking about Texas, Tennessee, Virginia and Florida, who all voted for Hoover forty years before your alleged paradigm shift.  We're talking about the states that voted for Strom Thurmond when he ran for President.

Kennedy won Georgia by 25 points in 1960.  LBJ lost it by 10 in 1964.  A 35-point swing in Georgia!  You can argue that eventually those states would have become GOP states.  You can argue that Republicans as a whole were not on the wrong side of history with regards to the Civil Rights and Voting Acts.  But you can't argue that the GOP did not pick up racist votes en masse, and have held onto them ever since.  35 points in Georgia.  You can't intelligently make that argument.

Now your argument is limited to Georgia and a handful of other "Strom Thurmon' states? And totally focused on the 1964 LBJ election landslide, ignoring the overall movement of conservative (not racist) Southerners to the GOP .....Weak.

The Democratic Party was moving to the Far Left in the 1960s, and subsequently lost a lot of elections...it was not because they were civil rights martyrs.

GOP holds on to racist votes "en masse" ? Partisan smear.  

There were some racist Southern Democrats who moved over to the GOP because they were ticked at LBJ. But your wholesale smearing  i.e., "the racist states" is just that, a regional/partisan smear.

Again, even granting your point 50 years ago, it has little relevance today. Half of the South's population are transplants....so let me guess...citizens move South not for good jobs, but because they are 'racists'.

Thank goodness a Northern  enlightened city like Boston never had any racial problems in the 60s and 70s..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

Matty,

I have no stickers on my car. Not anymore. None on my husband's. It is pragmatic. Things have gotten so ugly. Do not want to make my family a target...or myself. Even will not put on any Grateful Dead stickers. Not anymore.

Careful where and what time I wear a "message" tee or sweatshirt or hoodie. Used to feel great about expressing my views that way. Now, I am back to wearing my alumni stuff as well as the Boston sport teams.

But, in MA, that designation "unenrolled" just galls me. Plus if you do not join a party, it limits your activism.

Bi-racial is still not over. Nor is it over for same-sex couples together in public and not hiding their relationship. Two women just walking or shopping and holding hands, a mild form of a PDA, and see the hatred it will ignite. 

2 rulings are about to be issued involving same-sex marriage. One challenges Prop. 8...again. The other takes on DOMA. 

The momentum seems to be on the side of equal rights but even in "librul" MA, the minds and actions are still pretty ugly if you do not conform to normal.

[/QUOTE]

Have courage.

We shall overcome some day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Now your argument is limited to Georgia and a handful of other "Strom Thurmon' states? And totally focused on the 1964 LBJ election landslide, ignoring the overall movement of conservative (not racist) Southerners to the GOP .....Weak.

The Democratic Party was moving to the Far Left in the 1960s, and subsequently lost a lot of elections...it was not because they were civil rights martyrs.

GOP holds on to racist votes "en masse" ? Partisan smear.  

There were some racist Southern Democrats who moved over to the GOP because they were ticked at LBJ. But your wholesale smearing  i.e., "the racist states" is just that, a regional/partisan smear.

Again, even granting your point 50 years ago, it has little relevance today. Half of the South's population are transplants....so let me guess...citizens move South not for good jobs, but because they are 'racists'.

Thank goodness a Northern  enlightened city like Boston never had any racial problems in the 60s and 70s..

Thurmond's platform was segregation Einstein - you think that has no relevance here?  You think fourteen years later they were all enlightened voters more concerned with the economy than racial factors?

For ninety years, no matter how lopsided the election, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina & Georgia never voted for a Republican.  In 1964, the Civil Rights and Voting acts were passed and signed into law by a sitting Democrat President.  Ever since, these states are the reddest of the red.  Democrat Presidential candidates do not even campaign in these states.  

This is a straight line.  If you can't connect these dots, you should be wearing a helmet and have somebody observe you when chewing your food.

It never ceases to amaze me what conservatives will twist themselves into believing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Matty,

[/QUOTE]

Have courage.

We shall overcome some day.

[/QUOTE]

Matty,

I honestly believe that.

On the TV show "The West Wing" they wrapped up by electing our country's 1st Hispanic President. But we did them one better. We did it in real life. In our lifetime we not only elected our country's 1st black President...we got him re-elected.

In MA, despite a very very ugly Senate race, we elected Elizabeth Warren, the 1st women Senator ever from MA.

In 2016, Hillary at age 69, most probably run for President. The GOP will run a bunch of guys who will try ont out right each other. Then the last one standing will try and pivot to win the general. Election redux.

2016 will be fun. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

It never ceases to amaze me what conservatives will twist themselves into believing.

Well, it never ceases to amaze me how smug and narcissistic liberals are....never do they doubt their motives are pure and their opponents are all evil racists...

From 1856 to 1988, Vermont voted Republican in every presidential election with only one exception in 1964....

Yet now it is one of the most reliably Democratic states, even electing an avowed Socialist to the US Senate...

What is the conspiracy theory here...Was Vermont "racist" , and now not "racist"..?

Or perhaps, obnoxious New Yorkers flooded the place....just like Northern transplants from NY, MA, NJ, Ohio transformed the Southern states...but smug liberals whose policies made ambitious private sector workers to leave,  still goofily consider the South as it was in the 60s...to feed their egos.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Well, it never ceases to amaze me how smug and narcissistic liberals are....never do they doubt their motives are pure and their opponents are all evil racists...

From 1856 to 1988, Vermont voted Republican in every presidential election with only one exception in 1964....

Yet now it is one of the most reliably Democratic states, even electing an avowed Socialist to the US Senate...

What is the conspiracy theory here...Was Vermont "racist" , and now not "racist"..?

Or perhaps, obnoxious New Yorkers flooded the place....just like Northern transplants from NY, MA, NJ, Ohio transformed the Southern states...but smug liberals whose policies made ambitious private sector workers to leave,  still goofily consider the South as it was in the 60s...to feed their egos.

So you're conceding that the initial switch from blue to red was motivated by racism?  I don't doubt that these states are less racist than they were 50 years ago, but you can't deny that the Republican party has adapted its platform to appeal more rural white voters over the years since 1964.

The Republican platform used to call for statehood for Puerto Rico.  It used to emphasize the importance of multiple languages in our society.  It used to call for an 'expanded dialog' on abortion, rather than a constitutional amendment.  It used to call for equal pay protection.  It used to call for immigration increases.  The Republican platform of 2012 had 36 references to God or faith.  The platform of 1960 had 5.

I know the vast the majority of Republicans aren't racist, but you know that the racists you have are there by design, and you've looked the other way for a long time.  Hey, it's politics - anything goes, and now it's backfiring on you, so I'm not complaining.   I just want you guys to stop crying about your hurt feelings when you're called on your strategy of the past half-century.