A big divisive day in the USA; just what we needed......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

A big divisive day in the USA; just what we needed......

The SCOTUS will rule on DOMA and prop 8. either way alot of people will be mad at the other side.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: A big divisive day in the USA; just what we needed......

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Well, there's your problem right there... having a mentality of getting "mad at the other side" for holding an opposing position.

If the SCotUS ruling is based on sound legal judgement, then there is nothing to be mad about.

If on the other hand, SCotUS hands down a ruling based on flawed or questionable legal thinking, then people have a right to be mad, but not at the opposition. They should direct their anger at the courts, who's job it is to make apolitical rulings which stand on firm legal footing.

I do not get mad at people who have different politics.

Sound legal judgement is often arbitrary and either side will argue the decison did not meet "sound legal judgement".

"questionable legal thinking" is also an opinion based on personal whim.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The Supreme Court ruled 5-to-4 on Wednesday that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstituional.

From SCOTUSblog

Roberts dissents. Scalia dissents. DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment.

From the decision: “DOMA singles out a class of persons deemed by a State entitled ot recognition and protection to enhance their own liberty

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Should the Supreme Court refuse to decide cases or withhold opinions if the divisometer passes 7 ?

I'm above much but, I am above you.

No. it was just an observation with todays political climate and this emotional and controversial decision.

Look at the reaction on the decision yesterday; the court just said "the legislature cannot use the same 1965 plan and must change the law to reflect todays situation and many are calling it a travesty and set back for minorities etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Good decision, and about time.  I imagine Billy Clinton is breathing a sigh of relief now that the highest court in the land gave him a mulligan. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Should the Supreme Court refuse to decide cases or withhold opinions if the divisometer passes 7 ?

I'm above much but, I am above you.

No. it was just an observation with todays political climate and this emotional and controversial decision.

Look at the reaction on the decision yesterday; the court just said "the legislature cannot use the same 1965 plan and must change the law to reflect todays situation and many are calling it a travesty and set back for minorities etc.

Holy overreaction by the d!ckhead twins. I got what you were saying. People land on different sides of every issue. Therefore anyone who's opposed to gay marriage will be upset if DOMA is ruled unconstitutional (like it has been...yea!) and anyone who is for gay marriage would have been upset if DOMA was upheld.

I dunno...your post seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Sections
Shortcuts