Abolish The Debt Ceiling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Re: Abolish The Debt Ceiling

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a Sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. ...Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and Grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I think where you and I differ is that I believe that BOTH parties are not working FOR the people of this country. I beleive that they are both bought and paid for. When you follow the money and the names you find that elected officials and their staffers find jobs in the huge lobby industry. The revolving door leads them into the private sector and then back into office in the public sector.

Government has been bought. VOters need to realize that we need to find common ground in order to restore American democracy. I am no fan of either party. I see that both parties do not help us.

The solution is to shrink the size and power of Government, not expand it. The reason there are so many lobbyists is the same reason ants show up at a picnic.

Not defending the generally sleazy lobbyists, but the truth is,  a business cannot succeed today with just a sound business model which attracts customers and revenue. The Regulatory Nanny State is in everyone's business. Business has no choice but to hire lawyers to keep an eye out for what DC is doing to screw them. 

If you are a successful self reliant individual or business, the Government doesnt like it.

And of course many crony capitalist businesses succeed today because they are in bed with their regulators. 

Liberals are in denial about his, but the housing market and  Big Banks were massively regulated and practically run by Government; the meltdown in 2008 was BECAUSE of Government directions and overregulation, not a lack of regulation.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

What Ceiling ????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Business has no choice but to hire lawyers to keep an eye out for what DC is doing to screw them. 

If you are a successful self reliant individual or business, the Government doesnt like it.

And of course many crony capitalist businesses succeed today because they are in bed with their regulators. 

Maybe if businesses stop trying to cheat their customers and investors and poisoning the air and water, then they wouldn't need to be regulated so much.

But no, it's easier to "hire lawyers" to get rules changed and special treatment at the expense of their competitors.

See: patent trolls, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Matty where do you get the idea that coporations are so evil??? corporations are great!! some arent but the overwhelming majority do great things for individuals, families, non-profits, medicine, mankind, woman kind, dogs, cats, short people, liberals, unions, teachers, schools, skinny people, fat people, people of all religions....and they create HUGE amounts of tax revenue for liberals that would otherwise have no money to waste and use to control the world!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

To borrow a line:

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Because the progressives burn it down as they speak truth to power?  Is that it? Am I close?

if i remember correctly, you were a BIG supporter of the occupy movement, which destroyed personal property, while others showed their terrorist leanings.

yes, you are right.  That is why we can't have nice things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Business has no choice but to hire lawyers to keep an eye out for what DC is doing to screw them. 

Maybe if businesses stop trying to cheat their customers and investors and poisoning the air and water, then they wouldn't need to be regulated so much.

But no, it's easier to "hire lawyers" to get rules changed and special treatment at the expense of their competitors.

See: patent trolls, etc.

[/QUOTE]

Yah, that's it.  You have just NAILED it.  That is what business are all about, cheating customers and destroying the environment.

I used to find your points interesting.  Now you sound like a stupid empty headed Marxist tool.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents.

No, I think they're trying to give all the power to the Illuminati, to build nano-thermite.

[/QUOTE]

Heh, heh, heh.... ya the Dems passed all these spending bills in the HoR when the wingnuts weren't looking. Hilarious!!!!

Maybe it was Barney Frank, we all know how powerful the wingnuts say he is...heck, he single-handedly percipitated the finacial collapse.

Obviously ya don't get enough press for the wingnuts to stand up and oppose a spending before it adds to the debt.

[/QUOTE]

You do know that the Democrats controlled the House for quite a few years?  I think it has only been the last few that the Republicans have been in charge.

[/QUOTE]

And which way has the debt gone?

[/QUOTE]

Up. Up. Up.

hard for it not to when Obama won't negotiate.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Seriously, what is the point is this artificial, "ready-for-my-closeup-Mr. DeMille", kabuki theater version of how to keep a government running half-smoothly...?

What is the purpose of voting to pay for laws that the congress has already voted to pay for...?

And even when they do finally get their thumbs out to vote, the debate itself spooks those precious markets and damages the nation's credit rating.  The last clusterf**k in 2011 cost the government an extra $19 billion in interest alone.

This is the "uncertainty" that businesses hate and that repubs say is so bad, and yet they line up to dish it out every time.  And the dems are no better on this score, either.

However, there's nothing remotely "fiscally conservative" about stamping your feet, holding your breath, and refusing to pay your bills on time....

I will agree with you IF:

1) The government is only allowed to spend in one year the expected revenue to be collected for that year, through thick or thin.

2) ALL borrowing would be short term borrowing, with all accounts settled and zeroed out on the last day of the fiscal year.

And lastly:

3) That the debt be the top priority, as in paid out, of each budget, with at least an equal amount of principle and interest each month, until gone.

If you hire someone to perform a service ... say defending the country by accepting their services in the armed forces... or you have a road or bridge fixed or buy a tank... you really do not have the right to then decide NOT to pay for it. The vote you are talking about is only to say that we agree to pay for what we ALREADY bought / agreed to. Someone has already been wounded defending our country.. a bridge or road already fixed, a tank built and delivered, etc. 

No. If you tell someone to do the work you have to pay for it. No one would let you or I decide whether we would pay the guy who already fixed our leaky roof. We would be completely obligated to pay.

Your criteria would need to be applied to the process BEFORE we had someone fix our roof!!!! This vote comes well after the fact.

The Democrat Party is the Party of Government . It exists to spend and grow the size and power of the State, and make more government dependents. So it doesnt really matter if we have a debt ceiling, since the Democrats have no ceiling , they will continue until we are ruined.

[/QUOTE]

I think where you and I differ is that I believe that BOTH parties are not working FOR the people of this country. I beleive that they are both bought and paid for. When you follow the money and the names you find that elected officials and their staffers find jobs in the huge lobby industry. The revolving door leads them into the private sector and then back into office in the public sector.

Government has been bought. VOters need to realize that we need to find common ground in order to restore American democracy. I am no fan of either party. I see that both parties do not help us.

[/QUOTE]

We agree that both parties are not working for the benefit of the people.

likely where we disagree is that I see people like Ted Cruz and rand Paul as closer to the solution.  Not perfect, but closer.

smaller government will work better for the largest number of people.  I think it would be hard to argue that.  After all, smaller government means, in the context of this discussion, letting people hold onto their own money and make their own decisions about health care, retirement, etc.  Could one really argue with that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

I think sister sledge and airborne will be glad to do it for free. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

The solution is to shrink the size and power of Government, not expand it. The reason there are so many lobbyists is the same reason ants show up at a picnic.

Not defending the generally sleazy lobbyists, but the truth is,  a business cannot succeed today with just a sound business model which attracts customers and revenue. The Regulatory Nanny State is in everyone's business. Business has no choice but to hire lawyers to keep an eye out for what DC is doing to screw them. 

Liberals are in denial about his, but the housing market and  Big Banks were massively regulated and practically run by Government; the meltdown in 2008 was BECAUSE of Government directions and overregulation, not a lack of regulation.

[/QUOTE]

It is intersting how we agree and yet disagree.

Let's take one single statement to review which does reflect a difference:

There are a few points here I would make:

1. "Government" is not a person. It does not have any "opinion" It is made up of literally 1000s of people at the town, county, state and national levels. It is made up of hired employees and elected officials. There is no opinion you can asign to "Governement".

If you mean a particular administration (WHite House) has stated opinions then yes. ZBut those change from administration to administration and even over time within an administration.

2. THe only time I have ever actually seen or heard people not like the success of others is when (1) the person is a bigot and does not like the "group" which the successful person is associated with or (2) the person is a fundamental extremist and so is politically or religiously bigoted in the same way as #1 

Your statement about government is meaningless to me. It is senseless. In fact government is run by so many who directly benefit from successful businesses and industries that much of our governemtn has been bribed to the point of our government not representing you and I. The bribing is often done in ways that have been MADE legal by lawas that allow the sort of bribery to take place. But it is still bribery.

You also talk about regulation and how you do not like it. Let me ask you a basic question meant to at least see if there is some very BASIC agreement on the general aspects of regulation: DO you agree that companies should not be allowed to sell you food that they know can make you and your family sick or even cause death? Similarly, do you agree that car companies should not be allowed to sell cars they know are so dangerously made that the cars are truly deadly? Similarly, do you agree that companies should not be allowed to dump toxic waste on your property or on land where the toxic waste can seem into your property or your water or food supplies?