All Your Health Records R Belong to Obama

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: All Your Health Records R Belong to Obama

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Nice try?  It's the law, and yes, I have "heard of " HIPPA.

It doesn't mean it is right, or that the records will always remain private.

Yes, that is exactly what it means.  (It's HIPAA, btw.)

Nothing about the HIPAA laws have changed as a result of the ACA.  Period.

As a person who used to adjudicate claims for health and disability claims for several national clients, I can attest to the efficacy of the rules...which are always only as good as the doctors and administrators tasked to stick to them.

Your records got disclosed?  Sue your doctor.  That's the law.

And I'm down with Matty on this one too, and thanks, cuz I've been spelling HIPAA wrong for a good decade as well.

For disability claims, I had to talk to many a disgruntled HR rep and manager trying to find out why an employee was out of work.  It was fun telling them, "No."

My wife still works there on the long-term side...approving, denying and settling cases to the tune of tens of millions every year.  HIPAA is like her third language.

BTW, the only people helped by paper records are Iron Mt., et al.  If we can totally do our banking online, then medical records are tyt.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

You're missing the point.

All that info, instead of it being in a folder in your primary care's office now will go into a database where who knows who has access to it.

In a day and age where internet servers are being hacked almost daily, I'm a tad concerned about who could get hold of my personal information.

But who would do that and why would they care?

If they really wanted to, they would get it, database or not.

And besides, your insurance company already has this info stored.

In fact, it's a little like the illegal guns dilemma...people who want them will try to get them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Nice try?  It's the law, and yes, I have "heard of " HIPPA.

It doesn't mean it is right, or that the records will always remain private.

Yes, that is exactly what it means.  (It's HIPAA, btw.)

Nothing about the HIPAA laws have changed as a result of the ACA.  Period.

As a person who used to adjudicate claims for health and disability claims for several national clients, I can attest to the efficacy of the rules...which are always only as good as the doctors and administrators tasked to stick to them.

Your records got disclosed?  Sue your doctor.  That's the law.

And I'm down with Matty on this one too, and thanks, cuz I've been spelling HIPAA wrong for a good decade as well.

It's like a mental block with me..I always spell it wrong!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

You're missing the point.

All that info, instead of it being in a folder in your primary care's office now will go into a database where who knows who has access to it.

In a day and age where internet servers are being hacked almost daily, I'm a tad concerned about who could get hold of my personal information.

But who would do that and why would they care?

If they really wanted to, they would get it, database or not.

And besides, your insurance company already has this info stored.

In fact, it's a little like the illegal guns dilemma...people who want them will try to get them.

That argument reminds me of that silly old quote " If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas".  Policy and change can't be based on these things..but on evidence.

EMR is so much better for the patient in terms of safety and privacy. It leads to less errors, better communication and more efficient and effective care.  All of this leads to better patient outcomes. It's been proven.

A common misconception about EMR is that all the your personal info is available at the touch of a button. With an EMR system, patients are assigned a unique ID number. There are layers of security. Even if someone were to hack into a system..and I agree with Matty..why on earth would anyone want to??...they would have to know how to tie the Unique patient ID with the EMR. You would have to have inside information to do that.

Further..all this info is already with your health insurance company and has been for decades.. If someone wanted to hack into a system..it would already have happened.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Gateway is creepy imo, celebrities and the wealthy don't have to deal with this invasion of privacy, they just pay cash and use pseudo names.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Robin39's comment:

Gateway is creepy imo, celebrities and the wealthy don't have to deal with this invasion of privacy, they just pay cash and use pseudo names.

Services like Gateway aren't really the point of EMR. You can't access your EMR..you can access some information.

The doctor's office I go to offers a similar service..but I have never felt inclined to sign up for it. I don't need or want the constant connection with my Dr...nice as he is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

There's a desire to come up with a way of assessing doctors.  One method involves classifying patients into categories based on things like heart disease, weight, age, etc.  this allows 2 doctors with very different patient loads to be compared.

there is a risk that patient information will released to the public, but safe guards can be put into place to separate the patient's name and  other identifying characterisitcs from the treatment, but there is a risk.

of course, insurance companies already have bits and pieces of this information.  It's already out there.  but to do it right, a complete medical history is needed.

i think it would be neat to apply the same data mining techniques used by Amazon, Google, and other companies to something that can help us identify the good doctors from the hacks.  Not to mention the improvements in treatment that can result from such a database.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.