America Needs A True Immigration Policy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy

Well put but... how to get beyond selective enforcement where any administration can elect notto enforce laws...or.. more recently.. to override or dilute  laws and their intent via departmental policy directives ICE.

We can't trust these b@stards.

Submit term limits is THE prereq for any true representation of the will of Americans

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

English as the official language - So much for freedom of speech, eh?

Why should we insist on assimilation?  The Federal Government should be focused on keeping us safe and promoting commerce and nothing else.

Yeah, let's get rid of Chinatown, the Northend and other neighborhoods with an ethnic flare.

Dude - this is America.  People should be able to do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't impinge on someone else's rights.  they should be able speak whatever language they want, dress however they want, and go to whatever church they, if that's what they chose to do.

We can be like the French and have a special committe set up to determine what is acceptable English and what isn't. 

"in their best interest",  talk about the nanny state.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy:
    [QUOTE]English as the official language - So much for freedom of speech, eh? Why should we insist on assimilation?  The Federal Government should be focused on keeping us safe and promoting commerce and nothing else. Yeah, let's get rid of Chinatown, the Northend and other neighborhoods with an ethnic flare. Dude - this is America.  People should be able to do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't impinge on someone else's rights.  they should be able speak whatever language they want, dress however they want, and go to whatever church they, if that's what they chose to do. We can be like the French and have a special committe set up to determine what is acceptable English and what isn't.  "in their best interest",  talk about the nanny state.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

fine....just keep the kids that can't/refuse to speak english out of the classroom with my kid, because it kinda impinges on my kid's right to a good education.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Not looking to take away their heritage, It would be a crime to take away their neighborhoods and community. Besides I love Italian and Chinese food too much.

And yes, assimilation is something that is missing the last couple of decades. Immigrants use to come in set up residency/businesses and meld into the American melting pot. In the past people came to this country for a better life and to become an American citizen. Now people are coming here just to live in America. And we are expected to have their language on every ATM machine.

And, it is in their best interest to learn the language. The easiest way to succeed for a new legal immigrant, is to learn English, if not they are limited and there children become life long personal translators.

When in Rome. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It's so nice of you to look out for the interests of new immigrants, as if you knew best how other people should live their lives.  Another righwing hypocrit.  Complain about big brother and the government intruding in peoples' lives unless, of course, it forces them to live the way you think they should.

As far as ATM machines, Banks determine which languages to put on ATMs based on the markets they server.  In other words, the free market determines which languages a bank has on their ATMs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

By the way, the first European settlement was St. Augustine by the Spanish.  About 40 years before Jamestown - and they spoke Spanish.

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/ushistory/firsteuropeansettlements.htm

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

[QUOTE]Not looking to take away their heritage, It would be a crime to take away their neighborhoods and community. Besides I love Italian and Chinese food too much. And yes, assimilation is something that is missing the last couple of decades. Immigrants use to come in set up residency/businesses and meld into the American melting pot. In the past people came to this country for a better life and to become an American citizen. Now people are coming here just to live in America. And we are expected to have their language on every ATM machine. And, it is in their best interest to learn the language. The easiest way to succeed for a new legal immigrant, is to learn English, if not they are limited and there children become life long personal translators. When in Rome. 
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

The teachers unions wil loveee that one.

Too many vested interests.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]By the way, the first European settlement was St. Augustine by the Spanish.  About 40 years before Jamestown - and they spoke Spanish. http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/ushistory/firsteuropeansettlements.htm

And?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : And?
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

And?  And you're a moron.  Go back and read the beginning of the thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]It's so nice of you to look out for the interests of new immigrants, as if you knew best how other people should live their lives.  Another righwing hypocrit.  Complain about big brother and the government intruding in peoples' lives unless, of course, it forces them to live the way you think they should. As far as ATM machines, Banks determine which languages to put on ATMs based on the markets they server.  In other words, the free market determines which languages a bank has on their ATMs.

Your need to retaliate is coming through after your embarrassing posts on the census topic :).

The ATM comment was not a literal statement, I don't need your banking demographic logic, or lack there of.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : Your need to retaliate is coming through after your embarrassing posts on the census topic :). The ATM comment was not a literal statement, I don't need your banking demographic logic, or lack there of.

I thought you were fleeing to some other state.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : I thought you were fleeing to some other state.

You need to read all the replies before commenting. You keep opening your mouth and inserting your foot.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WIIN12AM. Show WIIN12AM's posts

[QUOTE]English as the official language - So much for freedom of speech, eh? Why should we insist on assimilation?  The Federal Government should be focused on keeping us safe and promoting commerce and nothing else. Yeah, let's get rid of Chinatown, the Northend and other neighborhoods with an ethnic flare. Dude - this is America.  People should be able to do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't impinge on someone else's rights.  they should be able speak whatever language they want, dress however they want, and go to whatever church they, if that's what they chose to do. We can be like the French and have a special committe set up to determine what is acceptable English and what isn't.  "in their best interest",  talk about the nanny state.

You're right. Who cares about assimilation. No need to learn English. It's not like highway signs and street name signs are in English. Knowing where one is going is over-rated. It's not like menus are in English. So you order something you don't like...won't kill ya.
    It's not like products are in US currency at all. So you hold everyone up because you don't know the currency. People love to be held up....it's not like people are busy and have places to be.
    It's not like knowing the language could be helpful if you're in the ER. Doctor's love guessing games. Makes their job so much more interesting.

Who's saying we should get rid of Chinatown or North End? That's just dumb. Why can't those places exist with people who ALSO know the English language like they have for decades? When did those places suddenly change to Asian and Italian ONLY speaking???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : Ahh, so typical of the whacko wingnuts empty arguments. "But..But.. I didn't mean to be taken literally." So then it's your pathetic attempt at hyperbole. You don't even have the guts to defend your own stupid statements.
    Posted by 12-Angry-Men[/QUOTE]

Just trying to come up with an example, I wasn't trying to start a new topic. Lighten up!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WIIN12AM. Show WIIN12AM's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : Just trying to come up with an example, I wasn't trying to start a new topic. Lighten up!

There is a reason his screen name has the word "angry" in it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

[QUOTE]Not looking to take away their heritage, It would be a crime to take away their neighborhoods and community. Besides I love Italian and Chinese food too much. And yes, assimilation is something that is missing the last couple of decades. Immigrants use to come in set up residency/businesses and meld into the American melting pot. In the past people came to this country for a better life and to become an American citizen. Now people are coming here just to live in America. And we are expected to have their language on every ATM machine. And, it is in their best interest to learn the language. The easiest way to succeed for a new legal immigrant, is to learn English, if not they are limited and there children become life long personal translators. When in Rome. 

I'd like to see that when any of you visit any country...or will you whine for the "english menu or info" - what would you do Neuman - pick up a Berlitz class

Iwould suspect there are a lot of "ugly americans" who visit other cultures

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : Ahh, so typical of the whacko wingnuts empty arguments. "But..But.. I didn't mean to be taken literally." So then it's your pathetic attempt at hyperbole. You don't even have the guts to defend your own stupid statements.

I can't wait until your school vacation is over.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]The ability to read, speak and write in English IS a citizenship requirement. Sounds rather "official", to me
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

If anything, the U.S. should embrace its rightful history and become a bilingual nation - English/Spanish.

It only makes sense, as a third of it WAS spanish-speaking until we took it over, and a majority of it WILL be within a few more generations.

Then, perhaps, we can properly cooperate and trade effectively with our material-rich, southern hemisphere kin before China gets it all....

Besides, Americans don't properly utilize the English language to begin with...ask any Brit what language we speak, and they'll correctly say, "American English".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : I know, it must be embarassing losing arguments to a sixth grader.

Let me know. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : If anything, the U.S. should embrace its rightful history and become a bilingual nation - English/Spanish. It only makes sense, as a third of it WAS spanish-speaking until we took it over, and a majority of it WILL be within a few more generations. Then, perhaps, we can properly cooperate and trade effectively with our material-rich, southern hemisphere kin before China gets it all.... Besides, Americans don't properly utilize the English language to begin with...ask any Brit what language we speak, and they'll correctly say, "American English".
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

There has to be one thing that binds us as one country, and a common language is the most basic way. If you were to formalize the country into two languages it would change the whole social, business and political landscape. It would not bring us together, it would become us verse them and drive us further apart. Sorry, but bad idea!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : There has to be one thing that binds us as one country, and a common language is the most basic way. If you were to formalize the country into two languages it would change the whole social, business and political landscape. It would not bring us together, it would become us verse them and drive us further apart. Sorry, but bad idea!   

I respectfully disagree.  It may be trite to keep raising Canada as a model, but they've handled the bilingual thing quite adroitly...all while paying due and proper respect to native canadians, i.e. the "First Nations".

The truth, though, is that english is only incidental as a "common language" throughout the U.S., especially since non-english speakers were already here and others started arriving before and after the english did.  Hence the whole "melting pot" experiment which has succeeded and continues to thrive today.

But to me, it's just common sense.  Aside from intellectual pursuits, what other second language is more appropriate for american students to learn than spanish (Chinese? Hindi?), if even at the colloquial level...??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: America Needs A True Immigration Policy : I respectfully disagree.  It may be trite to keep raising Canada as a model, but they've handled the bilingual thing quite adroitly...all while paying due and proper respect to native canadians, i.e. the "First Nations". The truth, though, is that english is only incidental as a "common language" throughout the U.S., especially since non-english speakers were already here and others started arriving before and after the english did.  Hence the whole "melting pot" experiment which has succeeded and continues to thrive today. But to me, it's just common sense.  Aside from intellectual pursuits, what other second language is more appropriate for american students to learn than spanish (Chinese? Hindi?), if even at the colloquial level...??
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just don't see that ever happening. Canada?

English has always been the primary means of assimilating millions of immigrants into American society. A common language promotes unity and understanding and is as vital to the health of a nation as having a common currency. Had our government catered to each new group of immigrants by using their language instead of English, there would never have been any incentive to truly become Americans.

By making English the official language, we also eliminate the wasteful spending used to translate millions of state documents into hundreds of languages, although other languages can still be used in a wide variety of key government functions such as trade and tourism. By making English the official language we provide an even greater incentive for all immigrants to learn English, become empowered and productive citizens, and participate in society as full Americans

Sections
Shortcuts