An entitlement mentality cannot survive in a weak economy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

An entitlement mentality cannot survive in a weak economy!

Many argue the coalition that elected and re-elected Barack Obama represents a long-term shift in the electorate that will determine elections and public policies for generations. Some of commentators think conservatives have lost their relevance, and the Republicans are about to go the way of the Whigs.

It's an interesting theory, but of course it's wrong. Politics, like much in life, tends to move like a pendulum, shifting back and forth around equilibrium. While the liberal Democratic coalition is ascendant now, a few decades ago people were speaking about the decline of the Democrats. More recently, leftists took to calling themselves "progressives" to avoid what was seen as the pejorative term "liberal." And just over two years ago, the Democrats took a drubbing in the midterm elections. Today, with the real-time flow of unfiltered information via blogs, YouTube, Facebook, FB +1.91% Twitter, etc., and more Americans self-identifying as independents and able to shift their support rapidly to either party, lasting coalitions will be difficult to maintain.

But the primary reason today's liberal Democratic coalition will fade is because the very policies it pushes sow the seeds of its own destruction. The coalition can survive over time only by allocating slices of our nation's economic pie in a way that favors and placates its constituent members. But people, being human, will continually want larger slices of our economic resources, so continued success in placating those members, while at the same time adding the necessary new members, requires a continuing and ever-growing economy. A flat or shrinking economy will never generate the resources needed to feed the coalition.

Yet the White House and congressional Democrats are working to stifle economic growth. From their views on taxes and redistribution, to their policies on energy and regulation, liberal Democrats are standing in the way of the strong economy their coalition needs.

Instead of pushing policies that spur innovation and risk-taking, the left advances policies that discourage them. Instead of lower marginal tax rates and less complication in the federal tax code, we see higher rates and more complication. We see new taxes in ObamaCare and the partial expiration of the Bush cuts. California's new tax on millionaires brings the state rate to more than 13%, and the combined federal and state rate to almost 52%. The high rates are discouraging at least some wealthy taxpayers from staying in or moving to the state. As federal rates increase, such economic discouragement will be found across the nation.

Instead of policies that lead to the available and affordable energy supplies required for a growing economy, we see onerous new regulations on coal-fired electricity plants, foot-dragging in the permitting for oil and gas drilling, and a surprising lack of interest in the hydrofracturing process that has revolutionized the extraction of natural gas and worked to lower energy costs.

Instead of thinking of the government's role in the economy as one of providing the minimum rules for fairness, ensuring those rules are enforced, and then getting out of way, we see efforts to push federal bureaucrats—and their ever-expanding government programs, regulations and mandates—into more and more facets of the world in which we live and work.

The toll on the economy is real. According to a report by Sentier Research released last fall, inflation-adjusted median household income has fallen more since the end of the recession in mid-2009 (down by 4.8%) than it did during the actual recession (2.6%).

Without economic growth, other means are needed to mollify the coalition. So we see warnings of disaster if the left's policies are not pursued. We see over-the-top claims about the damage to be caused by having to cut federal spending in sequestration—by less than 2.5%. We see attempts to gin up phony wars against women and minorities. We see efforts to come up with even more groups that are labeled as "victims" in need of the federal government's help. The coalition is fueled by a growing sense of entitlement. But without robust economic growth, this very same sense of entitlement will drive the coalition's decline.

In the short term, the coalition can help delay this decline by picking the right standard-bearer in 2016. It is clear that at least some of the liberal Democratic coalition exists because of the historical nature of Barack Obama as the first black president. While a candidate Hillary Clinton in 2016 would bring her own sense of history and excitement to the coalition, Joe Biden, while a nice guy, would not.

Ultimately, the coalition will collapse under its own weight. Such shifts take time, and conservatives and Republicans can, and should, do what they can to hasten the collapse. They need to advocate more effectively a set of policies that will reverse America's decline—and do a better job of explaining the benefits for individuals, families and businesses that come when we have lowered tax rates instead of increased them; the benefit of the independence that comes from a smaller federal government instead of a larger one; and the overall well-being and safety our nation enjoys when our economy is strong.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324338604578329071895628296.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Re: An entitlement mentality cannot survive in a weak economy!

bump

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Ah, the endless liberal lie of "oil subsidies" ...
    Oil and gas get the same basic tax deductions as all American businesses.

WSJ: "...for every tax dollar that goes to coal, oil and natural gas, wind gets $88 and solar $1,212. After all the hype and dollars, in 2010 wind and solar combined for 2.3% of electric generation—2.3% for wind and 0% and a rounding error for solar. Renewables contributed 10.3% overall, though 6.2% is hydro. Some "investment."

Zooming out for all energy, the Congressional Research Service did its own analysis of tax incentives. It found that in 2009 fossil fuels accounted for 78% of U.S. energy production but received only 12.6% of tax incentives. Renewables accounted for 11% of energy production but received 77% of the tax subsidies—and that understates the figure because it leaves out direct spending.

By the way, these subsidy comparisons don't consider that the coal, oil, and natural gas industries paid more than $10 billion of taxes in 2009. Wind and solar are net drains on the Treasury.

All of this suggests a radical idea. Why not eliminate all federal energy subsidies? This would get the government out of the business of picking winners and losers—mostly losers...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

Cherry picking numbers again I see. 

In the United States, the federal government has paid US$74 billion for energy subsidies to support R&D for nuclear power ($50 billion) and fossil fuels ($24 billion) from 1973 to 2003. During this same timeframe, renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency received a total of US$26 billion. 

And this doesn't include the hundreds of billions of dollars those industries received since their inception, before renewables.

Oil and gas (energy) is only the catalyst for our economy and if, we have more our economy grows when there is less we faulter!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

So they 'deserve' the market-distorting subsidies....

As much as any other industry! I would cut them all in times like these along with all foreign aid and non essential programs!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Ummm, you do realize that those energy markets received hundreds of billions of dollars in gov't subsidies to jump start and then maintain their competitiveness.

Are you now the only person who can pick losers and what isn't worth investment.

In spite of all the history of our country, since it's inception, partnering and subsidizing various markets.

So now, by some miraculous insight, you can predict the future despite the 200 yrs of proven effectiveness to the contrary.

Wow good post!

No but, I think with real unemployment being around 14% and and economic growth being 1% and possible starting to regress then the govt has to make tough decisions that some will not like but, you cannot just go along with a continued collpase just because it's too hard to make the needed changes.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

GDP was down because of reducedGDP spending by the gov't.

If you take any spending out of a weak economy then it contracts.

That is an undeniable fact.

Look at the EU.

Every country that enacted austerity budgets and cut spending is now in a double-dip recession.

Ya'll just can't keep reciting wingnut talking points, without evidence, while ignoring the real-world facts everywhere else.

GDP was also down because of losses in manufacturing, finance and very low consumer confidence.

The govt can not spend enough of OUR money to make US prosperous!

How did those european countries get in the financial turmoil they are in now?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I owe Bill Clinton an apology.  I disagreed with him a lot but I would give anything to have him back.  He was fiscally responsible and worked with a Congress that disagreed with him.  He had something Obama isn't capable of, a work ethic, thick skin, maturity and (yes I can't believe I'm writing this) a sense of right and wrong. 

Clinton spent every evening talking to Republicans in Congress..Obama coaches his girl's basketball team.  Clinton met with and talked with Congress on a regular basis...Obama holds press conferences and whines about Congress.  (he did meet with them for 7 minutes this week)

Sorry Bill....I miss you...I didn't agree with you but I certainly miss you....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

I owe Bill Clinton an apology.  I disagreed with him a lot but I would give anything to have him back.  He was fiscally responsible and worked with a Congress that disagreed with him.  He had something Obama isn't capable of, a work ethic, thick skin, maturity and (yes I can't believe I'm writing this) a sense of right and wrong. 

Clinton spent every evening talking to Republicans in Congress..Obama coaches his girl's basketball team.  Clinton met with and talked with Congress on a regular basis...Obama holds press conferences and whines about Congress.  (he did meet with them for 7 minutes this week)

Sorry Bill....I miss you...I didn't agree with you but I certainly miss you....

Clinton had a Congress he could work with. Not a Congress who will defy ANYTHING the dems put forth. See the differance?

McConnell: (The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.)

Sections
Shortcuts