Approval rating up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

Re: Approval rating up...

In Response to Approval rating up...:
    [QUOTE]For those on these boards who key the belief of what "the majority of Americans" supposedly believe to polls... .. ________ 6.  Obama's Approval Ratings Up A flurry of polls show that President Obama's popularity is on the rise as he prepares to deliver the State of the Union next week. A Wall Street Journal /NBC poll found that Obama currently enjoys 53 percent job approval ratings , an eight percentage point improvement over his December marks. [continues] http://slatest.slate.com/id/2281806/entry/6/
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

They should be on the rise.  He just had one of his best leadership moments in Arizona.  I tend to disagree with him on most things and my view of him improved significantly after that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Approval rating up...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Approval rating up... : They should be on the rise.  He just had one of his best leadership moments in Arizona.  I tend to disagree with him on most things and my view of him improved significantly after that.
    Posted by DevilinBoston[/QUOTE]

That's because he's back in campaign form...people like candidate Obama much more than President Obama. In fact he's much better as a campaigner then he is a President, that job requires making decisions. So for the next twenty two months we get to see candidate Obama, people like him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

Newman makes a great point....

And you think it's so great that he got a jump in approval rating by taking over a "funeral service" and turning it into a practice night for his State of The Union speech.

He a class act, I tell ya', best president ever...hahahahahahahaha

Still the worst ever in my lifetime, and I'm 51.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DevilinBoston. Show DevilinBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Approval rating up... : That's because he's back in campaign form...people like candidate Obama much more than President Obama. In fact he's much better as a campaigner then he is a President, that job requires making decisions. So for the next twenty two months we get to see candidate Obama, people like him!
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  I think he stood up and acted like a leader.  I did not see it as campaigning at all.  It's not his fault the students acted like it was a campaign rally.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

I am happy with Obama so far this year.  Just got my paycheck on the 15th and it was 2% heavier with the new rules on social security withholding. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from APerfectCircle. Show APerfectCircle's posts

Makes sense he'd see a bump after the horrific events in Arizona. Anytime a president shows leadership they see a bump.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Makes sense he'd see a bump after the horrific events in Arizona. Anytime a president shows leadership they see a bump.
    Posted by APerfectCircle[/QUOTE]

Yes.  Remember when Bush the Elder had something like 90% approval rating after the 1st Iraq war, yet lost to Bill Clinton.

these approval ratings are like tides.  In and out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]these approval ratings are like tides.  In and out.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

So when you were crowing about how low it was a few months ago...that was just BS?  Glad to see you're starting to confront yourself... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]So when you were crowing about how low it was a few months ago...that was just BS?  Glad to see you're starting to confront yourself... 

Was I? Didn't thinkn I did. 

I guess my overall reaction is that I am amazed at how it could stay so high so long.  I guess on this issue I am with the progressives:  we live in a nation of idiots.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

So his rise has to do with a shellacking and his adjustments to the repudiation. He has tack towards the center as can be judged by the lame duck session and the Bush tax cuts being extended.  Apparently a little schooling by President Clinton has helped.  Let's see if he really get's it, we'll know by April. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] Was I? Didn't thinkn I did.  I guess my overall reaction is that I am amazed at how it could stay so high so long.

This was around the time "Remember in November" was really heating up.

Either way, it's on the way back up.  Particularly as the economy starts limping forward a little bit faster.

[QUOTE]
     I guess on this issue I am with the progressives:  we live in a nation of idiots.

I do not consider myself a "progressive".

That aside, perhaps we can agree that while legislation to protect idiots from themselves may not be desireable, there are instances where one might prefer there to be legislation to protect oneself from idiots?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] If he can get our government debt problem under control or at least getting the budget balanced sometime soon, then I am all for it.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

He walked into a 1.3 trillion deficit when he took office, so he's got some serious work to do.  If the economy picks up quickly, he'll be able to make substantial progress towards it.  But that doesn't look like to happen.

If he's able to shrink the debt by several trillion, he's a bona fied miracle worker.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

It's never been about the man! People like him and his approvals as President go up when he does the right things.

56% still think the countries on the wrong track.

54% think the new congress will help get the country back on track

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]This was around the time "Remember in November" was really heating up. Either way, it's on the way back up.  Particularly as the economy starts limping forward a little bit faster. I do not consider myself a "progressive". That aside, perhaps we can agree that while legislation to protect idiots from themselves may not be desireable, there are instances where one might prefer there to be legislation to protect oneself from idiots?

You not a progressive????  HAH!!!

g'day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE] You not a progressive????  HAH!!! g'day.

What makes me a progressive, apart from your having said it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]I 56% still think the countries on the wrong track.

54% think the new congress will help get the country back on track
    Posted by sk8ter2008[/QUOTE]

And when that poll, or another poll, shows numbers below 50% you will all of a sudden start trumpeting Obama and the Democrats' policies?

These just-over 50% and just-under 50% polls mean nothing because people are constantly changing their mind, and it would seem that most people do not change their minds because they've reconsidered an argument they previously accepted....  

The reasoning generally seems to be decided less rational:  "Oh, I have more money this month because I finally got a new job.  Yay @ the party in power!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

I'm happy with Obama so far this year.  Got my paycheck on the 15th and it was 2% heavier due to the new social security withholding rules.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]What makes me a progressive, apart from your having said it?

your posts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]It's never been about the man! People like him and his approvals as President go up when he does the right things. 56% still think the countries on the wrong track. 54% think the new congress will help get the country back on track

The variables in polls is due to more to the pollster than the people polled. The demographics, geographics and how the question is worded are the keys.

They can be accurate or they can get just about any numbers they want based on these three things.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Approval rating up... : The variables in polls is due to more to the pollster than the people polled. The demographics, geographics and how the question is worded are the keys. They can be accurate or they can get just about any numbers they want based on these three things.

True.  So, again:  When that poll, or another poll, shows numbers below 50% you will all of a sudden start trumpeting Obama and the Democrats' policies?

Or are you going to say such polls are the ones designed to "get just about any numbers they want"?

These just-over 50% and just-under 50% polls mean nothing anyway because people are constantly changing their mind, and it would seem that most people do not change their minds because they've reconsidered an argument they previously accepted....  

The reasoning generally seems to be decided less rational:  "Oh, I have more money this month because I finally got a new job.  Yay @ the party in power!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Obama and any president could care less about those polls. Those polls just reflect what the overall population thinks of him, he and his advisors only really look at polls on what voters think of him. You see when ABC or CNN take these polls they fail to ask the question "are you a registered voter", and many other questions that a good pollster would ask. Since less than half the population are registered voters, it's a baseless poll (in their eyes) if you  take a slice of the entire population. What voters think is all they care about! Those other polls are nice fillers for the nightly news or a nice pie chart in USA Today.

Two of the better pollsters that the political pundit watch:

Rasmussen

Zogby

There are a few good smaller independent pollsters that get looked at, but these are two of the bigger ones.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Approval rating up... : True.  So, again:  When that poll, or another poll, shows numbers below 50% you will all of a sudden start trumpeting Obama and the Democrats' policies? Or are you going to say such polls are the ones designed to "get just about any numbers they want"? These just-over 50% and just-under 50% polls mean nothing anyway because people are constantly changing their mind, and it would seem that most people do not change their minds because they've reconsidered an argument they previously accepted....   The reasoning generally seems to be decided less rational:  "Oh, I have more money this month because I finally got a new job.  Yay @ the party in power!"

Well....if they don't mean anything, then why did you bother to start the thread?

Just slingin' as you usually do, I'm so happy that Obama got a few points bump in his ratings, makes his supporters all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?

Kind of like hitting your head against the wall, feels so good when you stop.

He's been on such a losing streak lately, he needed some good news.  Of course, gas prices keep going up, food prices are rising, unemployment is static,
    and China came to visit with a list of demands for the US.  They do own us, so they're going to see how high we can jump.

Just curious, how long can you really support this guy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WIIN12AM. Show WIIN12AM's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Approval rating up... : Well....if they don't mean anything, then why did you bother to start the thread? Just slingin' as you usually do, I'm so happy that Obama got a few points bump in his ratings, makes his supporters all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it? Kind of like hitting your head against the wall, feels so good when you stop. He's been on such a losing streak lately, he needed some good news.  Of course, gas prices keep going up, food prices are rising, unemployment is static, and China came to visit with a list of demands for the US.  They do own us, so they're going to see how high we can jump. Just curious, how long can you really support this guy?
    Posted by dazydo[/QUOTE]

The rising gas prices are Bush's fault.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE].if they don't mean anything, then why did you bother to start the thread?
    Posted by dazydo[/QUOTE]

Really? You read through all the posts and still don't get it?

Quite simple:  That arguments based on what a particular poll said are foolish because of all the problems with polls. 

A lot of such arguments are made here and elsewhere; this was aimed at them.