Are You Better Off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Are You Better Off?

It seems that this is the theme we are going to hear for the remainder of the political season and I think it's a good one. "Are you better off?" This is a question that I started asking myself ever since my son..at the age of 16..asked me this question many years ago when I was struggling whether to give a personal relationship a second chance.  That one question really summed it up for me and over the past few years I've used it to evaluate any number of things in life.
    Are you better off? This is the question our Presidential candidates are posing. Romney, making the argument that you are not better off, the Obama campaign, after some missteps over the weekend, taking the position that you are better off.

My first instinct is to say that it is not that simple. It's unfair of Romney to say we are not better off..since many people are better off and simply asking the question does not tell the whole story.Same goes for Obama. It is equally unfair of Obama to say we are better off than we were 4 years ago. 4 years ago, people in general were just beginning to feel the worst effects the recession which had started long before that. In addition, some people are not better off. Some people are still unemployed and struggling.

When I thought about it however, maybe it is that simple. Maybe we should all be asking ourselves ..Am I better off now than I was 4 years ago?

Should the bottom line be such a personal question? We live in a shared society, so should we walk into a voting booth thinking only of how we, personally, are doing? Or should we cast our vote based on how society as a whole is doing?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Re: Are You Better Off?

At least you didnt say the question was racist.

The question whether you are better off is a fair one, is because our politicians need  to be accountable.

Obama asked the very same question in 2008 regarding the GOP; early in his term, Obama famously said if he didnt turn around the economy in four years, it would be a one term proposition... and most importantly, the recession ended in 2009; this alleged recovery is the WORST since the 1930s. Why? Obama's failed statist economic policy of massive government spending has damged the private sector economy badly.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

A second question must accompany this one:  Why would anyone, right or left, want to go back?   
    It would be one thing if the republican primaries and caucuses had delivered someone different, a tea party person for example, Mr. Santorum, real change.  But back in November, most of the Bush II second string and some of the first surrounded and declared themselves for Mr. Romney.  This was upstream of the primaries and caucuses.  They have since served as surrogates re his domestic and foreign policies in appearances and articles.  And Citizens United money carpet bombed the opposition.  The Republican Establishment.

Why "right or left"?  Because those enlivened by the tea party, who truly believed in their version of hope and change, will be at least as disappointed as democrats because they will not get what they believe in.  And those of The Republican Establishment, at the national level (Dick Armey, Murdoch&Ailes) and here, know that it's been a ruse.  Back to where The Republican Establishment left off in January 2009.

It will be interesting to see if there is a rebellion on the right, not long after President Romney and The Republican Establishment hit their stride. 

Or, if not, that the "tea party" knew all along about the ruse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Please note "President Romney" above, because enough are not better off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I think it is fair to say that we all have lost values in our homes, and, except for the public sector, we all face a dramatically more challenging work envirnment, likely for the same of less pay than four years ago.

Considerthis:  Regardless of how you measure job growht or decline, we are in a deficit popsition when it comes to job growht.  even if the econmy turned around and gred at 4%, it will be over a decade until we are at parity with the average job growth under Bush.

So, for at least the next decade, the employer has the upper hand, and the employee has the weak hand, leading to longer times of unemployment and generally lower wages.

If you are a public sector employee, your likely reply is that you are better off:  you pensions didn't change, your job is secure, and you are four more years closer to retirement.  Rmney represents a risk to your rosy picture because it is unlikely he will follow the democrat lead of making sure your caddilac benefits, your OBamacare waivers, that all this is not likely to stay intact.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

"It will be interesting to see if there is a rebellion on the right, not long after President Romney and The Republican Establishment hit their stride.  "

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but that is quite a fair question.  If (as seems likely) a bunch of additional Tea Party aligned conservatives are elected to a GOP controlled US Senate, expect a rebellion to dump Mitch McConnell and cut federal spending...if Scott Brown is reelected, he will be a  leader of the shrinking moderate faction...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

To be specific, you will vote for the team that spent money like drunken sailors, and crashed the economy when they were in charge.  And for four more years of Government Sachs, to be specific. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

....based on both, I will vote for Romney.

You make it sound as though this is how you came to this conclusion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'm certainly better off.

4 years ago, as the economy was slipping off the deep end as a result of 8 years of mismanagement by the republicans, I had some credit card debt and owed more than I should have on my home equity line.  The fear from a quickly deteriorating economy caused me to pay off the debt and build up a reserve.

I don't think I had ever been as wooried about the economy as I was 4 years ago.  Day after day all we heard was more bad news about the eocnomy.  It was like watching the news reporters on RoboCop.

We are in 1 fewer wars and Bin Laden is dead.

Oh, and I've had raises and bonuses since 2008 and MY TAXES ARE THE LOWEST THEY'VE EVER BEEN.

The people who have improved the most as oddly the most likely to be republicans.  White college educated males have a low unemployment rate, lowest tax rates in a lifetime, and low inflation.  For White college educated males, life has never been better.

If you're a white college educated male and your life isn't better than it was 4 years ago, blame the person in the mirror.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

4 years ago, as the economy was slipping off the deep end as a result of 8 years of mismanagement by the republicans, I had some credit card debt and owed more than I should have on my home equity line.  The fear from a quickly deteriorating economy caused me to pay off the debt and build up a reserve.

I don't think I had ever been as wooried about the economy as I was 4 years ago.  Day after day all we heard was more bad news about the eocnomy.  It was like watching the news reporters on RoboCop.

Oh, and I've had raises and bonuses since 2008 and MY TAXES ARE THE LOWEST THEY'VE EVER BEEN.

The people who have improved the most as oddly the most likely to be republicans.  White college educated males have a low unemployment rate, lowest tax rates in a lifetime, and low inflation.  For White college educated males, life has never been better.

If you're a white college educated male and your life isn't better than it was 4 years ago, blame the person in the mirror.

Great to hear a liberal state that individuals are reposnsible for their own fate, and not the Government..usually libs call this "selfish"..Of course this mantra is only to try to defend the massive Obama failure..

Good for you to have had success  ....so apparently you believe individuals should vote based on their own specific success or failure....
    Based on this criteria, Romney will win in a landslide.
    The average middle class income has sunk by $4,000 during this Obama failure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to BetheKoolaid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Great to hear a liberal state that individuals are reposnsible for their own fate, and not the Government..usually libs call this "selfish"..Of course this mantra is only to try to defend the massive Obama failure..

Good for you to have had success  ....so apparently you believe individuals should vote based on their own specific success or failure....
    Based on this criteria, Romney will win in a landslide.
    The average middle class income has sunk by $4,000 during this Obama failure.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to read that your income has fallen by $4,000.  Maybe you should spend more time on your job and less time blogging.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

To be specific, you will vote for the team that spent money like drunken sailors, and crashed the economy when they were in charge.  And for four more years of Government Sachs, to be specific. 

You are correct in your assessment of the Obama years.  romney is likely to curtail spending and fix the economy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

How does increasing defense spending and cutting taxes for the wealthy achieve anything?  In order to increase spending on defense and cut taxes on the wealthy, then he'll have to raise taxes on the middle class and cut services to the middle class.

Are you ready for an increase in taxes and a cut in services?  Are you ready for cuts to education - forcing college grads to be even more indebt and high school grads to be less prepared? 

Earnings potential is highly correlated with the quality of education.  Wealthy go to Private Schools and hirer tutors to help then with SAT preparation and will be unaffected by cuts to education.  But the middle class is highly reliant on public eduation.  Cuts makes them less able to compete with their wealthier classmates and means they start off their adulthood with negative wealth.  And who holds those student loans?  The wealthy.

There's your redistribution of wealth right there - from the middle class to the wealthy.

The only thing Mitt Romney will do is make it easier for the wealthy to get wealthier.  Instead of needing a 1,000 page tax return to shield your income from the IRS, under Mitt, they'll be able to do it with a 250 page tax return.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.