Are You Better Off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: Are You Better Off?

I am significantly better off than I was 4 years ago.

Just prior to the 2008 election I had resigned my position and accepted a new one in Financial Services.  Poor timing on my part, and each year I have been employed at my current firm there have been workforce reductions of some kind.  I have not been affected and in fact I have been promoted in my time here. 

My wife was gainfully employed in the fall of 2008 as well but would lose her position after Obamacare was passed due to the changes in how student loans were processed.  Her previous company was a student loan processor and her entire group was downsized.  She remained umemployed for about 9 months and relied on my salary and unemployment benefits to get by.  She looked at a number of new positions during those months but all paid less, were too far away, or were career setbacks.  She did find a better paying position, with more responsibility at the end of her search however and she has been employed there since early 2011. 

As for me, 2012 is another transition period, I have accepted another position with a new company and will moving on a few weeks.  Combined with my wife's new job my family's net financial increase is significant and compared to 2008 the results are somewhat eyepopping.  As a result of being laid off and needing to find a new job my wife increased her pay by 12k right away.  She earns small bonuses quarterly and the new position has allowed her to continue as a supervisor of staff.   My net change is more significant.  I am 33k ahead of where I was in 2008.  So in total my family income has increased 45,000 in almost four years, both my wife and I have continued our career development and we both feel, without a doubt, that we are better off today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

I'd say we are better off.

President Obama got us through the financial crisis. He got us through the auto industry collapse. We got Bin Laden on his watch. We are out of Iraq and in the process of getting out of Afghanistan. The Stock Market is looking good. Unemployment is slowly dropping.

Of course, the wingnuts are never happy.  That's why they watch Faux News:)....

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

I have been better off than I was 4 years ago since 1980, and it has NOTHING to do with who the POTUS was.

Ditto.  Although I can trace it pretty much back to birth.

It's a dumb question...for dumb people.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to msobstinate99 comment:

I will say it over and over again. 

There is NO WAR ON WOMAN. I do not feel or worry that the government is going to control my choices on birth control or anything else for that matter.  These are all scare tactics. Everytime Liz appears on my tv warning that they are out to get us, I laugh out loud. 

I feel sorry for any females that fall for this baloney. To the females on the boards, Do you really believe when Romney takes office all our rights as a female are going to be stripped? Do you really believe there is a war on woman? 

Good grief, just how gulibble are the woman out there? 

It doesn't concern you that the actual republican platform contains an abortion position that denies the right even when a woman has been raped?

I don't care if Romney and company could snap their fingers and improve the economy (they can't), I would never vote for someone who held such a belief.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[/QUOTE]

Define the "middle class" for us dirty water loser?   C`mon, you can do it.......or can you?

[/QUOTE]

Average household income is about $45k. 

Start there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Define the "middle class" for us dirty water loser?   C`mon, you can do it.......or can you?

[/QUOTE]

Average household income is about $45k. 

Start there.

[/QUOTE]

prediction:  jmel will come back with his cop/nurse neighbor scenario.  They make $250k and can't make ends meet.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

In response to Firewind's comment:

To be specific, you will vote for the team that spent money like drunken sailors, and crashed the economy when they were in charge.  And for four more years of Government Sachs, to be specific. 

Are you thinking of John Corzine? Former CEO of Sachs, MF Global when they "lost" a couple of BILLION in customer cash and the first guy Obama and Biden called? I agree! Toss the Dems out!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Also, I'm about 60 pounds lighter than I was 4 years ago...

...making most things better as a result.

Mortgage is above water...just bought a brand new car with 1/3 down...in line for a promotion this fall...my dear wife herself just got a promotion and raise (20%) this year...both in stable industry verticals with solidly profitable companies....

But again, none of this has much, if anything, to do with who was POTUS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Any household with a combined income of $250k who cannot make ends meet is just a poor money manager.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hill Poll: Voters say second term undeserved, country is worse off

A majority of voters believe the country is worse off today than it was four years ago and that President Obama does not deserve reelection, according to a new poll for The Hill.

Fifty-two percent of likely voters say the nation is in “worse condition” now than in September 2008, while 54 percent say Obama does not deserve reelection based solely on his job performance.

http://thehill.com/conventions-2012/dem-convention-charlotte/247263-hill-poll-voters-think-second-term-undeserved

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

Nice try.  45K is "middle class"?  45k is poor.  80k family of 4 qualifies for fuel assistance and free school breakfast and lunch.  How many "middle class" families do you know getting free meals and fuel?

And yes, a cop, a nurse, are "middle class".  What don`t you get?  I knew you guys didn`t know what "middle class" is.  Like fishing in a barrel............

So, in your opinion, class is not tied to income, but occupation is...?!?  That makes no sense whatsoever.

Repeat: Median household income in the U.S. is $45k.  By definition, the 'middle' includes several factors above and below this data point.

(Hint: law enforcement and nursing are both professional jobs requiring college degrees.)

Over $250k should be well into the top 5% of ALL U.S. households....

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Food-Stamp Use Climbs to Record, Reviving Campaign Issue

President food stamp.

Can't post the link because of the site issues.

Go to bloomberg.com

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Apparently people like food stamps are better off then they were 4 years ago.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Food-Stamp Use Climbs to Record, Reviving Campaign Issue

President food stamp.

Can't post the link because of the site issues.

Go to bloomberg.com

Let's leave out the little fact that we were in a recession. Oy vey - stop being intentially ignorant and proud of it. Go work on your grammar skills. Open a book. Take a class. Anything to improve yourself.

Sections
Shortcuts