Are You Better Off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Are You Better Off?

In response to jmel's comment:

[/QUOTE]

That is not what I`m saying at all.  What I`m saying is what the Democrats build their entire existence on and have for the last 4 years.  "Tax cuts for the wealthy", the "rich", and the hurt the GOP puts on the "middle class".

The fact is $250k is not "rich".  It is not "wealthy", and $45k is pretty darn close to poor.  You`re correct, 250k is top 5%.  Actually, an annual income of $145k is Top 5%.  I am arguing that there should be NO tax increases for ANYONE.  IMO Dems need to stop talking about the "wealthy" and the "middle class" pitting them against each other. 

[/QUOTE]

Whether $250k is "rich" or not, it is certainly "well-off" and certainly better off than 95-98% of the rest of the population...and thus quite a bit less to worry about in purely financial terms.

The dems aren't the only ones talking about class; the repubs are trying to pitch tax cuts for the wealthy as the vehicle for job creation - at root a class argument, especially when made to those who aren't wealthy.

The problem is that tax increases are inevitable, regardless of who wins the presidency.  The only questions are which taxes and paid by whom...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Food stamps grew under Obama. Shouldn't the people complaing about his supposed intentional attempts to destroy the economy be able to put two and two together?

That's what the next election is about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

For me yes, I make more money now, I have saved towards my retirement, I'm debt free, got a great deal on a condo in Florida, I have job security, there is road, home and business construction in my area now with more coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Interesting discussion on NPR this morning. Everyone wants to identify with the middle class. Those at the low end striving to be middle class as a sign of having made it and those at the upper end who are uncomfortnble that they are well off.

From US News

For the 50 percent of families in the middle of the scale, household income ranges from $51,000 to $123,000 for a typical four-person, two-parent family. The median is about $81,000. Those numbers are from 2008, and have probably fallen 5 to 7 percent since then, on account of the recession. Median income for a single-parent, two-child family is about $25,000.

Here's how Pew's executive VP summed it up:

"The notion that we are a society with a large middle class, with lots of economic and social mobility and a belief that each generation does better than the next — these are among the core tenets of what it means to be an American," said Paul Taylor, the Pew Research Center's executive vice president. "But that's not necessarily the case anymore." (via LAT)

WIKI has multiple definitions

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to jmel's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Are they talking tax cuts, or simply not letting the Bush tax cuts expire?

[/QUOTE]

Both.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Maybe Mitt could produce his tax returns so we can see if he's better off than 4 years ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]

Maybe Mitt could produce his tax returns so we can see if he's better off than 4 years ago.

[/QUOTE]

That's probably why he is not doing it.  The whole 1% vs. 99% dynamic is something he needs to avoid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

President Obama got us through the financial crisis.

By running up debt for the next 10 generations of Americans?

You didn't seem to mind while Bush ran up the debt. Wasn't it Darth Vader Cheney who stated the deficits don't matter? 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Blah
    Posted by test

[/QUOTE]

I have been hitting reply to and then deleting everything prior to the comment I am replying to. That seems to have worked well so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

"Should the bottom line be such a personal question?"

I rather think that the problem is that we ask the question. Just about everything in government from our tax code to appropriations is a mess specifically because that's the question voters seem to ask themselves: Forget about everyone else, where's mine?

I tend to agree with you. I vote my conscience not my bank account. I am perfectly capable of managing my finances and I guess am in the minority since I am also willing to pay a little more if it means improving the greater good and helping someone less fortunate.  I think rights and freedoms are far more important than money. I think honesty is important to..but that's getting harder to come by these days.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

For certain things that I have control over, I've improved, like my salary, 401K contributions, and my health.  But those are my personal achievements, which have little or nothing to do with the governement or current policies. 

Where I am worse off are the following:

My company (retail) has struggled, and there have been massive lay-offs across the board, I'm lucky, but the stress level has been up and down over the last four years.

My HMO costs have increased 300% in four years, I used to pay $109 for family Harvard Pilgrim, every two weeks, now I pay $419 for the same coverage.

Gas is now approaching $4 per gallon, with no relief in site.

Heating oil is at $3.61 per gallon, going to $4 for the winter!

My home value has dropped from $420k in 2006, to approx. $300k today.

My property taxes have risen $1,000 in four years, and my town sevices have reduced, MCAS scores are in the toilet for my town. 

My wifes small business has suffered, down approximately 50% in revenues since 2007, overhead up 20%.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Should the bottom line be such a personal question?"

I rather think that the problem is that we ask the question. Just about everything in government from our tax code to appropriations is a mess specifically because that's the question voters seem to ask themselves: Forget about everyone else, where's mine?

I tend to agree with you. I vote my conscience not my bank account. I am perfectly capable of managing my finances and I guess am in the minority since I am also willing to pay a little more if it means improving the greater good and helping someone less fortunate.  I think rights and freedoms are far more important than money. I think honesty is important to..but that's getting harder to come by these days.

[/QUOTE]

Just curious seeing you brought it up, do you pay the Mass Income Tax voluntary higher rate?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Food-Stamp Use Climbs to Record, Reviving Campaign Issue

President food stamp.

Can't post the link because of the site issues.

Go to bloomberg.com

Let's leave out the little fact that we were in a recession. Oy vey - stop being intentially ignorant and proud of it. Go work on your grammar skills. Open a book. Take a class. Anything to improve yourself.

[/QUOTE]

We are in a ressession?  I thoght that ended about two years ago.  Are we not in the Obama recovery?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

Any household with a combined income of $250k who cannot make ends meet is just a poor money manager.

Really?  So, you know the situation of every household, and can make that pronouncement. 

That is an incredibly stuip and irresponsible statement, just like your god, Obama.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Exactly.

However, the larger questions are:

So what?  Is it not their money, ie. not the government's?  By what right does the government take the excess ( above and beyond taxes and fees)?

Even if it was the government's, you would have to prove to me that the government would make a more efificient use of it than the owner of that money before the government could take the excess.

This is the difference between the left an dthe right.  The right celebrates the person who makes that money, and knows that it is put to better use by the owner. 

The left thinks being successful is a crime, and the money needs to be confiscated, because government can do a better with the money than the person who earned it.

The left is a crock of you know what.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20s comment:

This is the difference between the left an dthe right.  The right celebrates the person who makes that money, and knows that it is put to better use by the owner. 

The left thinks being successful is a crime, and the money needs to be confiscated, because government can do a better with the money than the person who earned it.

This is a gross generalization (untrue), like most of the opinionated swill you dish up here, but let us break it down a bit:

Are you saying that anything a private individual does with their money is better than paying some to the govt?

Just anecdotally, I can think of many, many useless, inane and unnecessary things people spend their money on....even just the people who earned their money the honest way and not by scrooing other people over.  After all, criminals pay the least amount of taxes than anyone on what they steal and deal, while honest people pay their taxes like they're supposed to.

But not everyone is a businessperson, which means they necessarily put their trust ($$) into: a) people who are business-oriented, b) the govt, OR c) a bank.  Each of these has their drawbacks, and as the financial crisis proved, many private business entities aren't always trustworthy or even ethical.  Even fairly sophisticated investors can lose their shirts by way of a savvy operator.

(It should also be noted that putting money in the bank usually carries with it the federal guaranty insurance.)

Sections
Shortcuts