Arthur T looking to buy 50.5% stake in MB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Arthur T looking to buy 50.5% stake in MB

The former chief executive of the Market Basket supermarket chain whose firing has led to employee protests, customer boycotts and empty shelves wants to buy the entire company.

Arthur T. Demoulas said in a statement Wednesday that he and his side of the family want to buy the 50.5 percent of the company now controlled by his cousin's side of the family who backed his firing last month.

"We believe that our offer is a very full and fair one and should meet or exceed a seller's expectations of the value of the company," Demoulas said.

http://www.whdh.com/story/26100889/ex-market-basket-ceo-wants-to-buy-company

At the end of your rope                                                                                                     

Hanging by a thread

He'd give anything for this to just go away

This grip is only so strong

I try to hold on tightly

But it's all slipping through my fingers

In a fleeting moment 

Aspirations bled dry

Eyes that once beamed with hope now only stare in remorse.

-Times of grace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Arthur T looking to buy 50.5% stake in MB

xXr...it would certainly solve this drama once and for all...but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. Have you seen the latest? The 'management" has taken out full page advertisements for a job fair. Talk about passive aggressive..lol.

The current employees seem to be taking it in stride. Store associates and managers are showing up for work. The problem is that there are no customers because most of us have boycotted the store. So not sure what they hope to accomplish here other than an effort to intimidate employees into ending this movement.

I have heard that Arthur S. really had a meltdown in the most recent board meeting. You have to shake your head when it comes to him. He is more proof that all the money in the world can't make some people happy. Imagine spending most of your adult life in anger. 

BTW..thanks for the tip about Shaws. Worked out well for me!

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

This has been a great story to follow.  Here you have a very successful business model where a company is making hundreds of millions of dollars while paying employees well and providing good benefits.  The result is employees who enjoy their jobs and a growing customer base that takes notice.  

But thats not good enough for some people whose greed is insatiable. If there is more money to be made by slashing wages, benefits, and quality then that is the path they always take.  

Kudos to the local media for staying on top of this.  In the end, I think the company will be back in the hands of the man who made it a success.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

MB is a great store with sound old school principles of service. The butchers will cut me what I want and will grind me hamburg from an on-sale bottom of the round roast and I'll have hamburg cheaper then the chuck, baggers know how to bag (separating the items by type, packaging and refrigeration, the stock boys and girls are helpful with product locations and the cashiers are actually trained in how to count back change, so they can actually understand that when I give them a twenty and 2 cents for an $18.77 purchase they know to give me $1 dollar and a quarter back. I've gone to other stores and the cashiers give me 1 dollar and 23 cents plus my 2 cents back.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

MB is a great store with sound old school principles of service. The butchers will cut me what I want and will grind me hamburg from an on-sale bottom of the round roast and I'll have hamburg cheaper then the chuck, baggers know how to bag (separating the items by type, packaging and refrigeration, the stock boys and girls are helpful with product locations and the cashiers are actually trained in how to count back change, so they can actually understand that when I give them a twenty and 2 cents for an $18.77 purchase they know to give me $1 dollar and a quarter back. I've gone to other stores and the cashiers give me 1 dollar and 23 cents plus my 2 cents back.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy meat at the supermarket..but I've heard from friends that their butchers are some of the best in the business. Funny..your comment about counting the change back...MB cashiers are part of a dying breed in this sense.

The new CEO's have demanded employees return to work by Monday. I guess they continue to be tone deaf. The employees can return to work..but the customers are the ones boycotting. Earlier I was shopping at a store next door to my local Market Basket. The parking lot was virtually empty. Only a handful of cars. At this very busy location..such a sight is really unheard of. Across the parking lot at the end of the street, it was packed with cars and people in support of MB employees..many of them customers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

I've found that supermarkets are downright awful for steak. One must go to a butcher. (I recommend J.Pace & Sons or The Meat House). If you're going to grill a steak, you might as well spend a few extra bucks a pound for something really nice.

A roast, or beef short ribs? Allright, that I can work with from a supermarket.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've found that supermarkets are downright awful for steak. One must go to a butcher. (I recommend J.Pace & Sons or The Meat House). If you're going to grill a steak, you might as well spend a few extra bucks a pound for something really nice.

[/QUOTE]

The Meat House in Brookline closed a few months ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Awful for beef in general too...!

I LOVE J.Pace & Sons. I try to get to one of their locations once a month or so.( usually Saugus..sometimes the North End).

Best brisket ( and only one I cared for ) I ever had was this past Hanukah and it was from The Meat House.

Mostly I go to a local butcher on the fly...but for a really good steak I will also head to Butcher Boy in North Andover. I used to go to Hilltop often..but they are no more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

I hear the unions are not too happy with events at market basket. Can't have the people go against management without the unions! 

I would say the unions are behind Arthur S.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hear the unions are not too happy with events at market basket. Can't have the people go against management without the unions! 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The employees keep telling the unions to stay away, they obviously don't need them.  The Arthur S team must have a financial death wish as they watch their investment value decrease everyday.

If this keeps up more then a month it will cause long term harm to the company and it may never recover.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Meat House in Brookline closed a few months ago.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

All the company owned stores closed, the franchise stores remain open.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

The employees keep telling the unions to stay away, they obviously don't need them.  The Arthur S team must have a financial death wish as they watch their investment value decrease everyday.

If this keeps up more then a month it will cause long term harm to the company and it may never recover.

[/QUOTE]

MMJ, before ( and at) the very first rally, there were union members there offering to provide legal help, no strings attached to anyone who was fired, etc.  I thought this was a nice gesture, though cynically..the SEIU and the teamsters have nothing to lose by building up some goodwill.

I think unions in general are looking at this situation with a sense of admiration for the workers, managers and customers. It is rare to see the three so united and on the same page. This is practically unprecedented.

Honestly, it has already gone on longer than I expected. I think if it goes another week, the company is done. I am already starting to get comfortable at my local Shaw's and Stop & Shop for the few things I actually buy at a grocery store.. My husband and I  were talking about it the other day and we agreed we may even like them better.

Sad to see the end of MB as we know it....and I feel bad for the local suppliers who are really hurting

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

[ob]

If this keeps up more then a month it will cause long term harm to the company and it may never recover

MMJ, before ( and at) the very first rally, there were union members there offering to provide legal help, no strings attached to anyone who was fired, etc.  I thought this was a nice gesture, though cynically..the SEIU and the teamsters have nothing to lose by building up some goodwill.

I think unions in general are looking at this situation with a sense of admiration for the workers, managers and customers. It is rare to see the three so united and on the same page. This is practically unprecedented.

Honestly, it has already gone on longer than I expected. I think if it goes another week, the company is done. I am already starting to get comfortable at my local Shaw's and Stop & Shop for the few things I actually buy at a grocery store.. My husband and I  were talking about it the other day and we agreed we may even like them better.

Sad to see the end of MB as we know it....and I feel bad for the local suppliers who are really hurting

I think the unions see this as a threat, clearly.

Do you think the unions have told the senator of the people, Warren to stay out of it?

isn't this movement the kind of grassroots takin-it-to-the-man stuff Warren claims she supports?

i'm thinkin that our senator is more than a fake Indian.

and the senator from Sealtest? He's kinda quiet too, don't you think?  Based on the redacted address he put on his state tax returns, I'm guessing Market Basket is a bit of a drive for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

And, then there is this:

“Corporations are not people. People have hearts, they have kids, they get jobs, they get sick, they cry, they dance. They live, they love and they die. And that matters. That matters because we don’t run this country for corporations, we run it for people.”–Elizabeth Warren September 2012

“People feel like the system is rigged against them, and here is the painful part, they’re right. The system is rigged.”–Elizabeth Warren September 2012"

And, when given the opportunity to weigh in on the side of the workers, in a system that is "rigged against them", what does Senator Warren do?

Declines to take a stand.

Who knew that Senator Warren was part of the system that is rigged against the little guy?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

xXr...it would certainly solve this drama once and for all...but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon. Have you seen the latest? The 'management" has taken out full page advertisements for a job fair. Talk about passive aggressive..lol.

The current employees seem to be taking it in stride. Store associates and managers are showing up for work. The problem is that there are no customers because most of us have boycotted the store. So not sure what they hope to accomplish here other than an effort to intimidate employees into ending this movement.

I have heard that Arthur S. really had a meltdown in the most recent board meeting. You have to shake your head when it comes to him. He is more proof that all the money in the world can't make some people happy. Imagine spending most of your adult life in anger. 

[/QUOTE]

No problem Cricket happy to help. In a somewhat synical way i don't want this whole fued between Artie T and Artie S to end. I've been providing store support at the shaw's in Plaistow NH helping to throw my companies freight at the store.  I was talking to one of the store director's and he happened to mention to me that before this whole thing with MB happened, the store did 3 to 4 hundred thousand a week in sales. Right now they are doing over a million a week in sales. 

But on the other hand  i feel for the workers at MB and believe they shouldn't stop until Artie T is reinstated as President and CEO of Market basket. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No problem Cricket happy to help. In a somewhat synical way i don't want this whole fued between Artie T and Artie S to end. I've been providing store support at the shaw's in Plaistow NH helping to throw my companies freight at the store.  I was talking to one of the store director's and he happened to mention to me that before this whole thing with MB happened, the store did 3 to 4 hundred thousand a week in sales. Right now they are doing over a million a week in sales. 

But on the other hand  i feel for the workers at MB and believe they shouldn't stop until Artie T is reinstated as President and CEO of Market basket. 

[/QUOTE]

You feel for them, our senators don't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth warren is a joke. Talks all about how she is for the little guy and turns out to be just another liar. To no surprise of course. Couldn't stand to hear her talk when she was campaigning and can't stand her now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth warren is a joke. Talks all about how she is for the little guy and turns out to be just another liar. To no surprise of course. Couldn't stand to hear her talk when she was campaigning and can't stand her now.

[/QUOTE]

Amen.

I just think she would be all over this. 

The progressives have no issue with her silence, apparently because the unions told her to be quiet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Who are "the progressives"?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

All the company owned stores closed, the franchise stores.

[/QUOTE]

Ugh.....    

I don't see any open MA locations listed through the main website, though yelp doesn't list the Arlington location as closed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Liz Warren and her supporters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hypertext. Show hypertext's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That does not really mean "progressives". I might be what you call progressive.... but I never voted for her..... I don't support her either. "Progressive" is a word you sling around without any knowledge of.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to hypertext's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That does not really mean "progressives". I might be what you call progressive.... but I never voted for her..... I don't support her either. "Progressive" is a word you sling around without any knowledge of.

[/QUOTE]

Sure. Ok. Next.

Progressive:

(of a group, person, or idea) favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas.
    "a relatively progressive governor"

Still trying to deflect from the supposed Senators of the People, Warren and What's-his-name, steering completely clear of this middle class workers struggle?

hypocrites of the first order.  And you fell for their line of BS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amen.

I just think she would be all over this. 

The progressives have no issue with her silence, apparently because the unions told her to be quiet.

[/QUOTE]

Wait..isn't this a private business matter? One would think self proclaimed conservatives would give her credit for not getting involved. 

Interesting to see you complaining about lack of government involvement in a private business issue ;-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Meanwhile the fighting continues, with each side tossing barbs at the other in the media, all the while attempting to negotiate a sale of the company. I am sure this was the goal of the BOD all along.

At this point, regardless of how it turns out, I doubt I ever set foot inside another Market Basket store. For the small amount of items I purchase at the grocery store I have been very happy with the local Stop and Shop and the local Shaw's...depending on who has the better deals that week.

Added to that...there have been several price comparison studies done over the past few weeks..the most recent being the one put out by WCVB which showed that Hannaford's actually  had the lowest prices. Stop and Shop was only slightly more expensive than Market Basket.

Too much drama now at MB. I support the workers and admire them for what they are doing. I also am impressed that in this day and age that customers are standing strong in their boycott as well. The Market Basket BOD is inept..or they simply don't care. Either way..they broke the business beyond repair.

Sections
Shortcuts