Australia's Living Wage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Australia's Living Wage

Unemployment rate = 5.6%

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/Pages/default.aspx

National minimum wage for adults

Currently the full-time minimum wage is $16.37 per hour or $622.20 per week. This means that most employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.

Casuals covered by the national minimum wage get an extra 24% ($20.30 per hour).

National minimum wages for apprentices, juniors & trainees

There are special national minimum wages for trainees, apprentices and juniors who don’t have an award or agreement. From 1 July 2013 these are:

Juniors:

Age % of national minimum wage Minimum hourly rate
    Under 16 36.8% $6.03
    16 47.3% $7.74
    17 57.8% $9.46
    18 68.3% $11.18
    19 82.5% $13.51
    20 97.7% $16.00

Apprentices

Apprentices who aren’t covered by an award or agreement are entitled to the relevant rates in the Miscellaneous Award 2010.

Year of apprenticeship % of the level 3 adult hourly rate ($19.07) Minimum hourly rate
    1 55% $10.49
    2 65% $12.39
    3 80% $15.25
    4 95%

$18.11       

Only about 2 percent of Australians, however, are covered by the minimum wage. The rest are covered by industry-wide agreements that are negotiated by the government on behalf of workers. The minimum wage in most of these agreements (including, for example, for adult fast food workers) is $17.03 an hour.

But wait, there's more: full-time permanent employees in Australia, from toilet cleaners to chief executives, get at least ten sick days, 20 vacation days and (depending on the state) ten or more paid holidays every year. Everyone. All over Australia.

Of course, there is a catch. Part-time and temp workers don't get these benefits. Instead, they get paid an extra 20 percent to 25 percent in cash compensation. As a result, a part-time, entry-level adult fast food worker in Australia makes a minimum of $21.25 an hour. Oh, plus health insurance. That's universal in Australia.

Of course, exchange rates go up and down over time. But at $21.25 Australian dollars an hour, it doesn't matter what exchange rate you use or how you adjust for cost of living. The simple fact is that an Australian entry-level fast food worker makes more than the average American worker. An absolute majority of Americans would increase their income if they moved to Australia and got fast food jobs.

All Australian workers are entitled to benefits that are extended only to the richest Americans: parental leave, caregiver's leave, extra vacation for shift workers etc. And when Australians are called for jury duty, their employers must give them the time off - and must make up the difference in pay between the jury duty rate and their normal pay rate. In short, working-class Australians get the same kinds of benefits as investment bankers and top corporate lawyers.

Then, there's the final benefit that sets Australia (and New Zealand) apart from the rest of the world: long service leave. People don't have to work their entire careers without a break. After their first ten years with a company, they get two months off (with pay). It's another month every five years after that.

In other words, if you go to work in fast food straight out of high school, you can take a two-month paid honeymoon when you get married in your late twenties - and still have your regular four weeks vacation time to spend with the family.

more at:

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/5601

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Australia's Living Wage

Always wondered what the minimum wage was for Australia. Now I know...Thanks!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I thought it made an interesting contrast to the US peasant wages and benefits.  Australia is at the opposite end of the spectrum and making it work.  There are other countries somewhere in the middle, like England or Canada.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I thought it made an interesting contrast to the US peasant wages and benefits.  Australia is at the opposite end of the spectrum and making it work.  There are other countries somewhere in the middle, like England or Canada.

Oh...well...all you did was a cut and paste job without your own commentary so I had no way of knowing what your point was.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to bigdog2's comment:

Australia population = 22 million

U.S. population = 316 million

It does make a difference.

Australia also probably has more spiders per square inch.

Your point?

And, they have incredibly strick immigration laws.  And a very difficult guest worker hurdle.

Also need to take into account the exchangee rate in order to get an apples to apples comparison, or do you think username99 thinks that australia uses 'merican dollars?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"simply throwing up the abslute number of citizens in each country without any explanation isn't a counter-point."

except when HE does it...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Similar to the fantasy (you and your ilk believe) about national healthcare, it`s siginificantly more difficult to implement ANYTHING through a government process when you` re dealing with 10-times the amount of people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the argument is that the US is just unmanageable.

Very compelling....

If you read the OP data, only 2 % are affected by this min wage.  2% of the 22 million.

It`s an interesting read and I don`t object to a raise in the min wage but.......small biz owners get hurt.  More of the 18-25 crowd, already seeing huge unemployment numbers, get hurt too.

The theory goes that the more money people have to spend, the more money they will spend.  Thus the demand for what the small business owner does or sells will increase and create a need for employees....even at the higher wage.

Economies run on demand, and penniless people create no demand (Ex. USA).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

I don't want business mooching off me anymore than I want someone engaged in welfare fraud mooching off me.

bingo

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The "little guy", as well as all US taxpayers, are getting the shaft from companies like Walmart who pay unlivable wages.

The min. wage workers are forced to enroll in gov't programs for such basic needs as food and healthcare while the taxpayers pick-up the tab and Walmart and others makes BILLIONS in profits.

It costs the Old Town Bike Shop in Colorado Springs about $24,000 a year to provide health insurance for four employees, according to owner John Crandall.  Meanwhile, his largest competitors, Walmart and Target, foist much of their health care costs onto taxpayers, according to new data released by Massachusetts, Missouri, and Wisconsin.

By leaning on taxpayers, these chains are gaining an unfair financial advantage over more responsible businesses. “It’s disturbing,” said Crandall, who added that paying for health insurance was especially difficult last year when the shop didn’t turn a profit.

Data published by the state of Massachusetts reveal that Walmart has 4,327 employees — approximately one-quarter of its workforce — enrolled in the state’s Medicaid program or one of two other publicly subsidized health insurance programs. Insuring these employees and their dependents costs taxpayers $14.6 million a year.  Target has an even larger share — more than one-third of its Massachusetts workforce, or 2,610 people — enrolled.

Eligibility is based on several factors, but adults are generally eligible for Medicaid in Massachusetts if their income is below 133 percent of the federal poverty level, or about $15,000 for a single person.  Children are eligible when their families earn less than 150 percent of the poverty level.

You have lost sight of the employment ladder.  Most of these jobs are entry level jobs. Entry level jobs don't pay we'll e cause the required skill is low.

if you are working at the bottom rung, you need to work at getting a better job, I.e. move up a rung.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

The "little guy", as well as all US taxpayers, are getting the shaft from companies like Walmart who pay unlivable wages.

The min. wage workers are forced to enroll in gov't programs for such basic needs as food and healthcare while the taxpayers pick-up the tab and Walmart and others makes BILLIONS in profits.

It costs the Old Town Bike Shop in Colorado Springs about $24,000 a year to provide health insurance for four employees, according to owner John Crandall.  Meanwhile, his largest competitors, Walmart and Target, foist much of their health care costs onto taxpayers, according to new data released by Massachusetts, Missouri, and Wisconsin.

By leaning on taxpayers, these chains are gaining an unfair financial advantage over more responsible businesses. “It’s disturbing,” said Crandall, who added that paying for health insurance was especially difficult last year when the shop didn’t turn a profit.

Data published by the state of Massachusetts reveal that Walmart has 4,327 employees — approximately one-quarter of its workforce — enrolled in the state’s Medicaid program or one of two other publicly subsidized health insurance programs. Insuring these employees and their dependents costs taxpayers $14.6 million a year.  Target has an even larger share — more than one-third of its Massachusetts workforce, or 2,610 people — enrolled.

Eligibility is based on several factors, but adults are generally eligible for Medicaid in Massachusetts if their income is below 133 percent of the federal poverty level, or about $15,000 for a single person.  Children are eligible when their families earn less than 150 percent of the poverty level.

You have lost sight of the employment ladder.  Most of these jobs are entry level jobs. Entry level jobs don't pay we'll e cause the required skill is low.

if you are working at the bottom rung, you need to work at getting a better job, I.e. move up a rung.

Doesn't matter, even if what you say is true. Hard work should be rewarded with a living, respectable wage that doesn't require supplements from taxpayers. 

These people are offering the labor market the most precious thing on Earth......time out of their lives.

And I would argue that these jobs are not easy.  On your feet, husltling all day, all the while being looked down at by the likes of you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

This study looked only at the McDonald's-owned stores and not all the stores franchised by the company but there is no reason to think that individual stores expenses would be considerably different than the corporation. They are all contractually obligated to serve the same menu from the same suppliers at the same food-costs.  

One can also infer that since this study included ALL employees, from the min wage earners through management up to the CEO, that if the doubling of salary affected only the lowest paid workers, the cost would be substantially less.

Doubling the salaries and benefits of all McDonald's employees -- from workers earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour to CEO Donald Thompson, whose 2012 compensation totaled $8.75 million -- would cause the price of a Big Mac to increase just 68 cents, from $3.99 to $4.67, Arnobio Morelix told HuffPost. In addition, every item on the Dollar Menu would go up by 17 cents.

McDonald's declined a request to comment from The Huffington Post.

This research comes as fast-food workers across the country strike for a $15 per hour minimum wage. Workers are also protesting for the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. Protesters are holding strikes in seven cities over a four-day period, according to Salon.

Morelix looked at McDonald's 2012 annual report and discovered that only 17.1 percent of the fast-food giant's revenue goes toward salaries and benefits. In other words, for every dollar McDonald's earns, a little more than 17 cents goes toward the income and benefits of its more than 500,000 U.S. employees. Thus, if McDonald's executives wanted to double the salaries of its employees and keep profits and other expenses the same, it would need to increase prices by just 17 cents per dollar, according to Morelix.

Speaking of McDonalds, For a good laugh, read through the McDonalds "Practical Money Skills" brochure.  PDF inside the link below.

http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/mcdonalds/

What's not so funny is that for many people in America, this is the reality of life at the bottom of the economic ladder.

This is a clear admission by McDonalds that their worker pay is half (or less) what it should be. McDonalds states with great clarity that minimum wage workers need at least TWO jobs to make ends meet. Not even including realistic living expenses.   Their so-called "budget" is an admission that their workers depend heavily on the social safety net to survive.

What kind of health insurance coverage does McDonalds think is available for $20 per month - for an individual worker? For the worker's family? What McDonalds is really saying is this: When you get sick, you go to the emergency room and get charity care - which really means, someone else picks up the tab.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Interesting article on Forbes.com - how much would a Big Mac cost if the min wage was $15.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2013/07/30/how-much-would-a-big-mac-cost-if-mcdonalds-workers-were-paid-15-per-hour/

I am of two minds about this. There are studies that show higher min wage means fewer jobs, but a higher minimum wage would allow some people to afford more consumption too.

Minimum wage is for the youth and people starting out in work - entry level jobs. A Living Wage? We need to fix other things that might enable people to earn a higher wage rather than be given it for nothing.

Seems odd that thos pushing for the higher minimum wage don't seem to give a bleep about the staggering cost of college tuition, but that is another topic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Meanwhile, in reality....

you call where you are reality? 

Why don't you stop being a jerk And maybe contribute something useful once in a while.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

There are studies that show higher min wage means fewer jobs,

Yup....the Chamber of Commerce puts these studies out all the time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Why don't you stop being a jerk And maybe contribute something useful once in a while.

You never contribute anything so I don't know what you are complaining about. All you do is repeat GOP slogans at people.

And congrats at managing to completely ignore all the substantive points in the thread.

You are starting to hurt my feelings, you bully.

i contribute plenty. Most of what I contribute is bursting the liberal bubble you live in, so, I guess that's what makes you so angry and bitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

It is one of; "I`ll take the job but only if it pays me the same as my neighbor that has an engineering degree and has been working for 20 years. If it doesn`t start me at 80 grand I can`t have a house, a car, a vacation, and GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip, then I don`t want it and I`ll sit in my tent and p ee on police cars til I get my way"

As always, nobody said anything remotely like that. What is the point of your being here?

You don't respond to what people post. You just pretend they said something else, respond to that strawman, and then sling insults.

Actually he has a point. Entry level work doesn't pay we'll because it doesn't require any skill. It is typically what is called unskilled labor, meaning it takes less than two weeks to train.

i do not expect such work to provide a living wage, only serve as an entry point into the job market.

if I wanted more, I would go get trained in something that pays more.

that's a point worth taking you head out of you az to consider.

Sections
Shortcuts