Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse?

Were Mrs. Bachmann's and Mrs. Palin's candidacies decoys to lure back "grass roots" people who might have left for good because they were fed up with the real way the republicans ran things ($$$) when they had all three branches? 

What was all the tea party stuff about?  Were the leaders always going to herd followers back to the republican establishment's lair?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippit. Show zippit's posts

Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse?

It boils down the the "ABO" candidate I have mentioned recently....

ANYONE BUT OBAMA, get used to it, I'm printing up bumper stickers as we speak.

I'll be selling them on my web-site with all proceeds going to my favorite charity, me.  Hey I'm a capitalist, and I'll be glad to pay my corporate tax-rate for all of my profits! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse?:
    It boils down the the "ABO" candidate I have mentioned recently.... ANYONE BUT OBAMA, get used to it, I'm printing up bumper stickers as we speak. I'll be selling them on my web-site with all proceeds going to my favorite charity, me.  Hey I'm a capitalist, and I'll be glad to pay my corporate tax-rate for all of my profits! 
    Posted by zippit

Two responses:

1)  Arnold Schwarzeneggar.  ...If ever there were a republican (moderate!) whose mojo was little more than good looks and "anyone but a democrat".  I'm talking about his politics, whatever they were, not his semi-private turpitude.

2)  Why would anyone want to go back to the people who got us into this mess?  For the last three years, the tea party has been the answer:  You don't have to go back!

At different points each "grass roots republican" may get the nagging feeling, "I've been had..."

So, this bumper sticker:  "Why would anyone want to go back?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

What was all the tea party stuff about?  Were the leaders always going to herd followers back to the republican establishment's lair?

I don't know but it's pissing me off.

The good news is that a Republican, even a moderate/centrist/liberal Republican HAS to pay more attention to the right than what Obama does (which is essentially not at all.) I think that Romney, unlike Obama and the left, will be given a very short leash and if he wins and continues business as usual in Washington the tea-party people will raise holy hell.

We need to take over the Republican party in the same way that the left took the Democrat party. Democrat lite is no way to run a country.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

If Romney gets a Republican Senate and House, which is very likely, then he can govern more as a conservative when in office.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippit. Show zippit's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Kinda hard to govern as a 'conservative' when you have no experience doing so. Do they have an indoctrination crash-course for RINO's?
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Kinda think Obama needed a crash course for being the President, and he has failed miserably!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Kinda hard to govern as a 'conservative' when you have no experience doing so. Do they have an indoctrination crash-course for RINO's?
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Airhead sez: Romney is a RINO, not a conservative, not a rightwing nut.

That is good to know! So pay no attention to the billion dollars in TV ads the Democrats will run, and the speeches of DNC head Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, calling Romney an extremist Far Right nutjob who will throw poor children out into the streets to starve.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

If Romney gets a Republican Senate and House, which is very likely, then he can govern more as a conservative when in office.  
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

Is that a prediction or wishful thinking? Because, so far, Romney has shown absolutely no inclination to govern as a conservative.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Posted by BetheKoolaid

Is that what happened when the republicans had it all?

Why would anyone want to go back?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Add Herman Cain to the 'DECOYS' list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I dont think Bachmann's run was a ruse, although I suspected she knew she had no real chance of winning.  Palin's flirtation was more about her personal "brand" and keeping herself relevant, after all she is still being paid as a political pundit by FOXNews.

As for the Tea Party, it was never more than a faction of the GOP, so that it has been fully co opted isn't surprising.  In terms of firing up the base, the Tea Party fulfilled its usefulness, and now with the election looming for the presidency, the Tea Party presence is noticably absent.  Perhaps that will change in the general, but if things pan out for Romney that has to be a big blow to TP core values and something that may dampen turnout. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I dont think Bachmann's run was a ruse, although I suspected she knew she had no real chance of winning.  Palin's flirtation was more about her personal "brand" and keeping herself relevant, after all she is still being paid as a political pundit by FOXNews. As for the Tea Party, it was never more than a faction of the GOP, so that it has been fully co opted isn't surprising.  In terms of firing up the base, the Tea Party fulfilled its usefulness, and now with the election looming for the presidency, the Tea Party presence is noticably absent.  Perhaps that will change in the general, but if things pan out for Romney that has to be a big blow to TP core values and something that may dampen turnout. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

Doubtful...some core Tea Party voters may not be 100% satisfied with the nominee, but the last thing those same core Tea Party voters want to see is, four more years of this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Doubtful...some core Tea Party voters may not be 100% satisfied with the nominee, but the last thing those same core Tea Party voters want to see is, four more years of this.
    Posted by newman09

Well, then the turnout trends thus far suggest otherwise.  GOP primary voter turnout is down from 2008.  Not a good indicator for party enthusiasm. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Is that a prediction or wishful thinking? Because, so far, Romney has shown absolutely no inclination to govern as a conservative.
    Posted by StalkingButler

Fair question. Romney is not a movement conservative, and as Governor of Moonbatachusetts could not govern as one, even if he desired to fall on his sword.
    Chris Christie was labeled a Northern RINO moderate Republican when elected, but he has kicked butt, in my opinion. Romney would do well to emulate him, and maybe put him on the ticket.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Well, then the turnout trends thus far suggest otherwise.  GOP primary voter turnout is down from 2008.  Not a good indicator for party enthusiasm. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

The 08' primaries were a bit more energized with both parties being involved. The general election and primaries are tough to compare, some are just not as motivated to hit the polls come primaries. The general election brings them out, and I feel enough repbulicans and Independents this time around, want Obama out! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Moonbatachusetts
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

Are you seriously using this degrading nickname on a site called Boston.com?

This name tag suggests to me that you find Massachusetts to be a bunch of lunatics. Yet no one from this state is talking about building colonies on the moon.

I find many of Michelle Bachmann's comments to be nutty , but I would never degrade the whole state of Minnesota in her honor.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Bachmann for Romney: Was it all a ruse? : Then you might not want to read the latest polls. Poll: Romney Losing Independents After Florida – support implosion continues. The Florida primary has exposed some of Mitt Romney’s flaws. Romney appears to be losing ground, especially with independents. The image that Romney has cultivated for years has come under attack and the damage shows in several polls, the New York Times reports. “In a Washington Post/NBC News poll showed, 49 percent of the respondents nationwide held an unfavorable view of Romney, while only 31 percent had a favorable one,” the Times says. The same Washington Post/NBC News poll shows Romney’s favorability rating among independents cut in half. It’s now down to 23 percent from a high in the mid-40’s in November.  In polls during the last several weeks, the number of people who view him favorably has plunged, especially among independent voters who will likely decide the general election later this year. http://www.redstate.com/williamjameson/2012/02/01/poll-romney-losing-independents-after-florida-support-implosion-continues/  
    Posted by airborne-rgr

A state primary poll in January rarely holds any weight on what the out come will be, or how people will be thinking come the November general election. IMO, who ever the nominee is, Republicans and enough Independents will come out to defeat Obama.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Posted by airborne-rgr

Good point..and the reality is most conservatives move over more to the center once they become President. For sure..no matter how conservative a candidate appears in the primaries..they must move over to the center somewhat in order to compete for moderates on both sides as well as the growing number of independents.
    I said months ago that Romney is the only one in the field who could compete with Obama...and I still stand by that statement. Romney is a moderate who is masquerading as a conservative in order to win the primary. Can't blame him for that..it's what he must do.
    That being said, I still don't think he'll be able to beat Obama..just that he will make it a closer race than the others.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

the reality is most conservatives move over more to the center once they become President.

Which helps to explain why we're in such deep kimchi.

Sections
Shortcuts