Barack Obama blunders again on the world stage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Barack Obama blunders again on the world stage

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100190254/barack-obama-blunders-again-on-the-world-stage/

As Obama stood next to the world's most recognized democracy icon, he mispronounced her name repeatedly.

Ever gracious, Suu Kyi did not correct her American guest for calling her Aung YAN Suu Kyi multiple times during his statement to reporters after their meeting.

Proper pronunciation for the Nobel laureate's name is Ahng Sahn Soo Chee.The meeting came after Obama met with Myanmar's reformist new President Thein Sein – a name he also botched.

As the two addressed the media, Obama called his counterpart "President Sein," an awkward, slightly affectionate reference that would make most Burmese cringe.

Note to presidential advisers: For future rounds of diplomacy, the president of Myanmar is President Thein Sein – on first and second reference.

---

It is rather embarrassing, as well as sad, that the leader of the free world can’t even pronounce the name of the most famous human rights activist on the planet. Or that he is so quick to appease Burma’s authoritarian regime by calling it “Myanmar”. Barack Obama’s gaffes demonstrate not only a marked lack of attention to detail and a high degree of amateurishness on the part of the White House, but also a disturbing willingness to curry favour with unsavoury regimes. Hardly a good omen for Obama’s second term.

---

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Barack Obama blunders again on the world stage

I actually think it's just a general lack of seriousness. Obama is like a small child that doesn't want to do his homework. He doesn't think that he should HAVE to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually think it's just a general lack of seriousness. Obama is like a small child that doesn't want to do his homework. He doesn't think that he should HAVE to.

[/QUOTE]

Bush Senior puked into the lap of the Japanese premier.  Is that a lack of seriousness too?  

Why do you post drivel like this?  Because you are a small child...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The political transformation of Burma/Myanmar in the past ten years has been striking, and there are many lessons that could be learned (good and bad).  This has fueled a commercial feeding frenzy, as every Bus Dev Exec with a passport is over there trying to get a piece.

I think the U.S. is indeed being hasty in its 'normalization' of relations with the erstwhile democracy, but there are some good reasons why they don't want to wait. (China and India are two big ones).  A situation like this doesn't happen very often.

Considering the scope of what's at stake and prospects of regional stability, the OP's complaints are petty and scornful.  More sour grapes from a sour person.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The political transformation of Burma/Myanmar in the past ten years has been striking, and there are many lessons that could be learned (good and bad).  This has fueled a commercial feeding frenzy, as every Bus Dev Exec with a passport is over there trying to get a piece.

I think the U.S. is indeed being hasty in its 'normalization' of relations with the erstwhile democracy, but there are some good reasons why they don't want to wait. (China and India are two big ones).  A situation like this doesn't happen very often.

Considering the scope of what's at stake and prospects of regional stability, the OP's complaints are petty and scornful.  More sour grapes from a sour person.

[/QUOTE]

Is it really asking much of Obama or any other president...hell ANYONE really, to get the names right of people one is meeting with???

[/QUOTE]

No, it isn't.  But directing from the cheap seats can be just as banal.

After all, Americans in general often don't even have a mature grasp of geography...much less language and culture.  The OP had to go across the pond to find someone who even cared.

I know it might be tempting to some on the right to think of POTUS as some parochial, unworldly b(00)b, but it's just not the case.

And it's not like he tried to stomp on their olympics celebration or something....

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[/QUOTE]

Bush Senior puked into the lap of the Japanese premier.  Is that a lack of seriousness too?  

Why do you post drivel like this?  Because you are a small child...

[/QUOTE]

Did you accuse those who posted about Bush's blunders as posting 
    "drivel" and being a "small child"?

[/QUOTE]

You are such a nudge.  It depends on what incident you are talking about.  Mispronouncing names is a pretty infantile complaint about any politician. 

And why aren't you criticizing this particular silly drivel?  Maybe you like it on some level...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is it really asking much of Obama or any other president...hell ANYONE really, to get the names right of people one is meeting with???

[/QUOTE]

No, it isn't.  But directing from the cheap seats can be just as banal.

After all, Americans in general often don't even have a mature grasp of geography...much less language and culture.  The OP had to go across the pond to find someone who even cared.

I know it might be tempting to some on the right to think of POTUS as some parochial, unworldly b(00)b, but it's just not the case.

And it's not like he tried to stomp on their olympics celebration or something....

[/QUOTE]

I just think it's funny you guys are suddenly outraged over being "petty". Your side also has plenty of history doing same. Can we simply just acknowledge this is what has and will continue to happen on anonymous message boards? I mean really...let's not pretend to be so outraged at sh!t your side does too. 

[/QUOTE]

First, I speak only for myself.  I'm not sure how you misconstrued 'outrage' from anything I've written here today.  I merely tried to place a more accurate context in and around the OP's blatant dart-throwing.  I wouldn't pretend to say that 'both sides' don't go off the rails on occasion; that's what happens when people don't think things through.

Quoting out of context is one thing.  Incessantly parroting a single news outlet's peculiar brand of yellow journalism is quite another.  The term "trolling" comes to mind, although that seems too kind by half for some.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

As the putative leader of the free world don't you think it would be incumbent on you to spend 15 minutes or so of your time on your 23 hour flight to southeast asia to learn the names of the people and places that you'll be interacting with? Well, don't you?

That's probably why we've never seen his grades, I'm pretty sure his graduation was based on social promotion rather than any real accomplishments. Just like his presidency.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

Did you "try to place a more accurate context in and aroud the Dem's blatant dart-throwing" when they did same thing to Bush?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  And I would have the posts to back it up were they not hosed by BDC back in 2010.

Then again, I just don't have the time to rationalize every thread and post, so I'm forced to be selective.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

For a minute there I thought he had vomitted on the leader of the host country. 

Remember how W used to mis-pronounce everything?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Remember how W used to mis-pronounce everything?

Not to be petty or anything...

Sections
Shortcuts