Re: Border Fence
posted at 6/20/2013 8:54 AM EDT
In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
In response to skeeter20's comment:
It only looks like a dodge if you don't read through the thread. I already indicated what I think would work at a far lower cost.
Building a fence is hardly a complete solution, and what of the illegals already here? Take a look at the yearly cost of incarceration and the average length of deportation proceedings.
Then multiply by the 7 - 12 million illegals estimated to be here.
You'll get a pretty high number even if you don't start adding up the costs of:
- Building facilities to house them (our jails are bursting and have a fraction of the number of inmates as there are illegals in the country)
- Hiring guards for the facilities, agents to catch them, prosecutors to prosecute them, drivers to drive them to the border.
- All the new busses, etc, required to handle it.
You're talking a multi-trillion dollar daydream on the contain & deport front.....
Dumb argument. Even if we decided to deport them all, 7-12 million would not be deported at once so you are making a wild exaggeration of the cost. Plus once we started deporting in a serious manner a huge number would leave on their own.
Secondly, border security is a fundamental responsibility of the government. Half the other nonsense they spend money on is not. The federal government has been purposely neglectful of this responsibility. To throw up numbers with the implication that it cannot be done is irrelevant. They are barely even trying.
Remove the incentives for them to come here, so they self deport:
1. No benefits for those here illegally
2. Jail for employers who hire illegals
3. Deport illegals when detected in the course of law enforcement
4. Decriminalize drug use
5. No federal money for any city or juristiction that declares itself a "sanctuary city" or refuses to cooperate with federal authorities to enforce immigration laws.
You are making a false argument. You really do not want the border and immigration laws to be enforced. Why not?