Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs...

Oh wait....nevermind

Brown will back financial overhaul

“It includes safeguards to help prevent another financial meltdown, ensures that consumers are protected, and it is paid for without new taxes,’’ Brown said, adding, “further reforms are still needed to address the government’s role in the financial crisis.’’

The announcement by Brown, who many expected to help stifle the Democratic agenda, marks one of his most important decisions since arriving in Washington five months ago and enables the Massachusetts Republican to continue positioning himself as a potentially decisive vote.

He signed onto the legislation only after winning several changes that benefited Boston-based State Street Corp. and Springfield-based MassMutual. He also used his leverage as a key swing vote to force top House and Senate lawmakers, including House Financial Services Committee chairman Barney Frank, to change how the bill is financed.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2010/07/13/brown_will_back_financial_overhaul/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs...

Good for him.  It's nice to see a Republican actually compromise with the Democrats.  I think it's especially because he's a first term Senator in a liberal state that he is playing the middle right.  Actually he's going to be branded a Democrat / RINO / traitor any minute now.

I wouldn't expect him to get on any good committees based on this defection, but we need more Republicans who are willing to work with the Democrats.  Will his backers feel betrayed that he's going along with any part of the Obama / Democrat agenda?  WSJ editorial bashing Brown imminent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

John Kerry has voted with his Party almost 97% of the time since 1991.  Such an independent thinker.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/k000148/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs...:
    Good for him.  It's nice to see a Republican actually compromise with the Democrats.  I think it's especially because he's a first term Senator in a liberal state that he is playing the middle right.  Actually he's going to be branded a Democrat / RINO / traitor any minute now. I wouldn't expect him to get on any good committees based on this defection, but we need more Republicans who are willing to work with the Democrats.  Will his backers feel betrayed that he's going along with any part of the Obama / Democrat agenda?  WSJ editorial bashing Brown imminent.
    Posted by tiresias

What "defection"? He said from day one he would be independent. He said from day one he would vote based on what was best for his state. So what "defection" is he guilty of exactly?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

John Kerry has voted with his Party almost 97% of the time since 1991.  Such an independent thinker. http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/k000148/
    Posted by schadenfreude99

And yet it was Brown who was assumed by the Left to vote in lock-step and thus skewered based on that assumption.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

You should see some of the messages that were left for him on his facebook page, not nearly as understanding as you are hawkeye01. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

You should see some of the messages that were left for him on his facebook page, not nearly as understanding as you are hawkeye01. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

I'm not surprised. Seems like people just like to be angry no matter what the issue/subject.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : I'm not surprised. Seems like people just like to be angry no matter what the issue/subject.
    Posted by hawkeye01

It seems a lot of critics from his side of the aisle feel like he is supposed to do exactly what they want him to do, and working with Dems is not only unacceptable but it is a disqualification for holding office.  Which speaks volumes about the continuing degradation of politics theater in this country. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : It seems a lot of critics from his side of the aisle feel like he is supposed to do exactly what they want him to do, and working with Dems is not only unacceptable but it is a disqualification for holding office.  Which speaks volumes about the continuing degradation of politics theater in this country. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

Which is odd considering he has always stated he would be independent. He never really referred to himself as a Republican. He has always stated he'd vote for what was best for his State. So how anyone can be angry when he doesn't vote lock-step with Repubs is beyond me. It just shows how dumb the average person really is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

"Scott Brown, whose victory in a Massachusetts special Senate election imperils U.S. health-care legislation, called himself a “new breed of Republican” as he prepares to travel to Washington later this week."

Here's a good link to people who will be quite outraged over this vote. 

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2010/07/13/brown_will_back_financial_overhaul/?comments=all#readerComm

"How anyone can be angry when he doesn't vote lock-step with Repubs is beyond me. It just shows how dumb the average person really is. " - This is the statement of a rational individual.  His campaign against the healthcare bill, I think, led people to believe he would be the 41st vote against all of the Dem agenda.  The wingnuts expected him to follow party lines.  It helped him that Coakley was such a poor candidate.  But a lot of his supporters believe he's betraying their side, which has steadily moved to the right.  I never bought that he'd be independent, but I'm glad he'll reach across the aisle.  I think it's a defection for any Republican to vote with the Dems in this political climate.  So he's happily proving me wrong to a certain extent, and he's very unhappily proving his conservative (right-wing, especially tea-partiers) base wrong.  I'd bet a majority of his supporters are unhappy with him for voting with the Dems.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

Sure, Brown got the big bank tax out in exchange for a small bank tax and for TARP funds, i.e. taxpayer funds, which were meant to inject capital into the banking system.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/06/its_good_to_be_number_60.html

Here's a gem from prostitute-patronizing (not that there's anything wrong with that) Dick Morris:

"By the way, if you go to DickMorris.com, my website, I have a whole column there about what you can do to help elect Brown. Because if we win this fight, then there'll never be another victory for Obama. He probably will get health care, because the House will pass the Senate version. But he'll never get 60 votes again."

Any bets on whether Scott Brown will get slammed on his vote by right-wing commenters / talking heads?  I will give you generous odds against, say like 100-1?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : It also describes the Dems and Joe Lieberman on the nosey
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Truth.  But to be sure, we are talking about a guy who was the Dem candidate for VP in 2000, a presidential candidate himself in 2004, who actively campaigned for the GOP candidate in 2008.  So at least Dems are justified in their dislike of Lieberman, in the same way the GOP has cast our Charlie Crist and Arlen Specter. 

Brown is simply doing what a moderate GOP pol from the Northeast tends to do, see Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.  In other words ideological conservatives have a short shelf life up in these parts, very short as they tend not to get elected in the first place.  If Brown stays pragmatic, I would vote for him the next cycle, depending on who opposes him in the general of course. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : Another fact-free dumb f*ck who doesn't read or accept anything tat doesn't tickle the stupid lobe of his twisted  conservative brain - Brown's "wins" cost YOU and taxpayers money......nothing he wanted really helped but the legislature gets passed stll fairly effective but far from ideal.... first effort to weaken the legislation http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/obama-administration-sided-with-brown-o.php http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/07/07/go_long_senator_brown/ Then costs taxpayers 19 billion: http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/20171/scott-brown-lines-up-with-big-banks-and-hedge-funds
    Posted by PS911fan

It's the Dems bill isn't it? LOL. But you continue with the name calling. It's a true measure of intelligence if there ever was one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : It's the Dems bill isn't it? LOL. But you continue with the name calling. It's a true measure of intelligence if there ever was one.
    Posted by hawkeye01

Its hard to pass a bill when the minority party threatens to filibuster/filibusters anything that comes to the floor, so compromise (weakening of bills) has been standard operating procedure for every major piece of legislation passed in this congress. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : Its hard to pass a bill when the minority party threatens to filibuster/filibusters anything that comes to the floor, so compromise (weakening of bills) has been standard operating procedure for every major piece of legislation passed in this congress. 
    Posted by DamainAllen

I understand that. That wasn't my point. Cry baby needs something to b!tch about so he goes at me. In the end it's still a bill the Dems are putting through. At the end of the day they still own it. So cry baby should be upset with them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : I understand that. That wasn't my point. Cry baby needs something to b!tch about so he goes at me. In the end it's still a bill the Dems are putting through. At the end of the day they still own it. So cry baby should be upset with them.
    Posted by hawkeye01

And my point was just because Dems own the bill that doesn't mean the GOP has no influence over it when the alternatives are filibuster and potentially no bill, or allowing the GOP to weaken the bill via backroom inputs while they attack the same effort in public.  Its bizarro bipartisanship. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"Its hard to pass a bill when the minority party threatens to filibuster/filibusters anything that comes to the floor, so compromise (weakening of bills) has been standard operating procedure for every major piece of legislation passed in this congress"

Whine, whine, whine...
    Dems threatened filibusters for everything under Bush. 
    The Obama zealots don't do compromise...for which they will go down in flames in November

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

"Its hard to pass a bill when the minority party threatens to filibuster/filibusters anything that comes to the floor, so compromise (weakening of bills) has been standard operating procedure for every major piece of legislation passed in this congress" Whine, whine, whine... Dems threatened filibusters for everything under Bush.  The Obama zealots don't do compromise...for which they will go down in flames in November
    Posted by BobinVa

The GOP in this Congress is on a record setting pace for the use of the filibuster as well as the threat to use the filibuster.  No other congress comes close to the level of obstructionism we are witnessing first hand.  Its not the Dems who are opposed to compromise.  Look no further than Scott Brown bandwagon getting smaller after every vote that he casts that sides with the Dems.  The GOP wants ideological purity which means no compromise with Dems. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : Another fact-free dumb f*ck who doesn't read or accept anything tat doesn't tickle the stupid lobe of his twisted  conservative brain - Brown's "wins" cost YOU and taxpayers money......nothing he wanted really helped but the legislature gets passed stll fairly effective but far from ideal.... first effort to weaken the legislation http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/obama-administration-sided-with-brown-o.php http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/07/07/go_long_senator_brown/ Then costs taxpayers 19 billion: http://www.bluemassgroup.com/diary/20171/scott-brown-lines-up-with-big-banks-and-hedge-funds
    Posted by PS911fan

Aw, don't worry about anything hawkeye says:

In Response to Re: Ah, Transparency!:
    [QUOTE]Unlike you I don't take any of this stuff seriously. You and your ilk get yourselves in such a tizzy that it's comical. The joke is on you. Messing with you is quite entertaining. It send you guys into a frothing mess. Yes I know you're going to call me a troll. Oooooh....that's gonna hurt....lol
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Brown forced the dems to compromise, thats a good thing.  Shame they wouldn't do the same on unemployment
    Posted by GreginMeffa

The Democrats compromised?  Again?  Now where did they leave that damn throat-rammer....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Brown in Lock-step with the Repubs... : Aw, don't worry about anything hawkeye says: In Response to Re: Ah, Transparency! :
    Posted by WhatIsItNow

Do you keep a special copy at the ready to post over and over? That's just creepy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

Too bad this bill doesn't have the 2 things it needs to be worth a plug nickel! Yearly Fed Audits and Audits and controls on Freddie and Fanny! But Bwaney Fwank would never leave Freddie backside exposed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/f000339/

Barney has voted with Democrats almost 98% of the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fractals. Show fractals's posts

Why are the repubs opposed to the bill?