Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Some more plain talk that I agree with.  The occupy crowd is building some kind of momentum through social media like the Arab Spring.  The unions are going to join the students griping about their student loans.  Maybe the students shouldn't have put themselves into so much debt.  This could end badly now that the unions are getting involved it could be like the WTO riots in Seattle last year.  Bring on the water canons.

CNN Associate Producer Rebecca Stewart

(CNN) – If you're dissatisfied with the economy, or unemployed, Herman Cain thinks you should take a long, hard look in the mirror.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal posted Wednesday, the up-and-coming GOP 2012 contender and former CEO of Godfather's Pizza summed up his bewilderment about recent demonstrations on Wall Street.

"Don't blame Wall Street," Cain said. "Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

The conservative radio talk show host described the protests as "planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration, though he admitted he didn't "have the facts to back this up."

Demonstrators have gathered to protest big banks during the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, but their grievances don't end with the economy. The protesters, mainly youth in their twenties, have addressed issues from police brutality to union busting, although they are also upset with the war in Afghanistan, the environment, and the state of the world in general.

The "Occupy Wall Street" movement has also drawn support from unions.

But for Cain, the demonstrations simply amount to "anti-capitalism."

Allowing the banks had a "big part" in the 2008 economic crisis, the candidate, who's known for his bombast and has been rising in national polls pointed out, "We're in 2011, okay?"

"When I was growing up I was blessed to have had parents. That didn't teach me to be jealous of anybody and didn't teach me to be jealous of somebody," Cain explained.

"It is not a person's fault because they succeeded. It is a person's fault if they failed. And so this is why I don't understand these demonstrations and what is it that they're looking for."

Cain spokesman JD Gordon declined to add a comment on the candidate's interview.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself

In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself:
    [QUOTE]The demonstrators may be fools but Cain is a f'ing moron if he thinks that everyone who lost their job due to the financial collapse and mortgage meltdown is  to blame for it.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Don't be so literal.
    What Cain is saying is when we fail we shouldn't blame others but, look at what we control "ourselves" and what we can learn from the failure about ourselves and what we need to improve on to succeed next time!!

Who does it help to blame others??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]What a load of manure. Man there is no end to your spin or your flat out ignorance of reality. Astounding!!! Your comments are so freakin foolish to be ridiculous. So when the entire financial market collapsed that was because of the people and not the executives. Wow, now that is a typical wingnut rant, blame everyone else except the very people who were actually running the company. So when I wasn't able to secure a bridge loan at reasonable rates despite my companies stellar credit and a long history of the exact same financing then it's my fault? I guess this is the anti-religious rant. We control everything, including the financial markets. Too freakin funny.
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

Well Ranger Rick I'm glad I don't live in your reality.  

There was a massive confluence of bad public policy and poor regulation that caused the meltdown in 2008.  This resulted in the tight money situation that prevented purported good risks like you from getting your bridge loan.

The vast majority of the protesters are young 20's folks who are upset with their student loans and that is their fault.  The occupy crowd doesn't even know what they are protesting, except they want a redistribution of wealth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]The demonstrators may be fools but Cain is a f'ing moron if he thinks that everyone who lost their job due to the financial collapse and mortgage meltdown is  to blame for it.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I think he was addressing the fools in the parks.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself : Well Ranger Rick I'm glad I don't live in your reality.   There was a massive confluence of bad public policy and poor regulation that caused the meltdown in 2008.  
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

Don't forget rampant speculation on complex derivatives, predatory lending and good old-fashioned American Fraud....

You are really in a bubble, aren't you? 

I'll bet you like godfather's pizza, too.  Atrocious.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself : Don't forget rampant speculation on complex derivatives, predatory lending and good old-fashioned American Fraud.... You are really in a bubble, aren't you?  I'll bet you like godfather's pizza, too.  Atrocious.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

From my post above.

There was a massive confluence of bad public policy and poor regulation that caused the meltdown in 2008.

This covers the majority of the problem; the under regulated dervitive market, the others to a much lesser degree unless you count Madoff but he only bilked rich people.

No I like a good Regina fresh slice of pepers and sausage. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself : Whaaaaaat? There ya go again trying to pass the buck and avoid responsibility. Public policy had nothing to do with mortgage companies falsifying loan applications or abdicating their fiduciary duty to vet every and all applicants. It's their freakin job!!!!!! Lax oversight is not an excuse to start breaking the law!!!! The public was against the Wall Street rescue so how could they be culpable? That's the reality spanky.

Was the whole concept of derivative market breaking the law, or just taking advantage of poor regulation of a new concept.

Are you and Matty on speed dial?  You guys are quick with the one two rsponses.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself : The concept of derivatives isn't illegal, but not abiding by the full-disclosure and underwriting laws when repackaging and securitizing these loans is illegal.

...and now you address the reapckaging and securitizing these loans is illegal. Was it or was it a problem that the rules really didn't address the hindsight needs of these instruments.  Its very easy to see a problem after the fact, yes better regulations were required but no one saw the collapse coming or they would have reacted differently.

Dodd was too busy signing his Countrywide re-fi and Barney was on the corporate jet headed to an Island retreat and never saw the problem at the 10,000 ft level.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobc33. Show bobc33's posts

I know a lot of people who agree with the losers "occupying" wall street.  They do not want to work hard, they want things handed to them, and have a pitiful marxist world view.  They saw rioters in Greece and England and thought they would be "cool" like that.  They will all go home when it gets cold.

They should be thankful they are not protesting in Castro's Cuba.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cain: Not rich? No job? Blame yourself : Let me ask you this.... Do you think that the mortgage companies that employed robo-signers knew, at the time, it was illegal to falsify someones relation as a bank representative on a legally binding instrument? Or was that just a benefit of hindsight? I'm addressing your foolish attempt to conflate the legal use of derivatives with the blantantly illegal use of these financial instruments to knowingly decieve and obfuscate the chain of ownership of the underlying asset. That's not lax anything, that is illegal. Only in the whacko wingnut world is the lack of oversight not only a defense of illegal behaviour but a way to shift the blame from the criminal to the police. So why then are you and the wingnuts fighting any change in oversight of these markets. It's just another example of wingnuts arguing against themselves and contadicting their position for party politics. It's just laughable. Absolutely and unequivocally absurd!!!

I don't think the "robo-signers" for the most part thought they were doing anything wrong.  In business people have surrogates sign for them all the time.  Technically illegal but I haven't read were the resulting actions were actually wrong, just wrong in the process.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.