California Poised to Impose a State-Wide Ban on Plastic Bags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

California Poised to Impose a State-Wide Ban on Plastic Bags

I guess things are going well in the great state of CA these days. After all, their state Legislature has the time to debate/discuss/legislate the ever contentious issue of single use plastic bags.

It's looking more likely that CA is going to become the first state in the nation to ban plastic grocery bags. While I don't necessary have a personal problem with this..I am always a little wary when government starts wanting to micromanage consumers and business to this level.  Sure, these plastic bags can be a nuisance..and if truth be told..they get a little flimsier with each passing year. Still..although I am a fan of the reusable bags ( mainly because you can actually fit more than a couple of items without danger of the bag breaking)..it's always been nice to have a few of these plastic bags around the house for things like cleaning out a fridge..or scooping out the cat box. I'd survive quite nicely without them though.

The plastic bag lobby ( I never knew there was even such a thing!) would have you believe this is just another way for corporations to bilk more money from their customers. Perhaps that is true since this impending law goes so far as to set a minimum $$ amount ( 10 cents) that retailers must charge customers for a paper or other recyclable bag. I am not sure why the legislature feels the need to set a minimum cost. I would think they'd be more concerned with a maximum cost. Also, this law only seems to affect business that serve food and eventually pharmacies. There is no mention of department store retailers or clothing retailers. Why is that?

It all seems very subjective and unnecessary..but then again what do I know. Anyone remember when you have to put a quarter deposit in a slot to get a grocery cart..and you only got it back when you returned it? I grew up in a world where these single use plastic bags did not exist...and somehow we got by. Of course it's a much more consumer driven world out there now. 

All I know is it makes me appreciate Costco a little more. I can walk out of their with $200 worth of merchandise and not a single bag..and still make it work.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never  are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: California Poised to Impose a State-Wide Ban on Plastic Bags

Democrats couldnt resist...

One, it wasted taxpayer dollars...

"provides money to local plastic bag companies to retool to make heavier, multiple-use bags that customers could buy."

Two, the unions wanted it...

"...after picking up the support of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, the bill passed a second vote in the Assembly...."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Hey, like your new avatar!

What is the reason for banning these bags? I can think of a few possible reasons:

• They are littered about
    • Not biodegradeable

These bags have more uses than toting groceries from the store. I use them to throw out out used kitty litter. I am sure there are thousands of other uses.

What am I going to do with cat p**p now if the kooks in MA follow their leaders in CA?

(I can't believe the elctronic censor at the 

Miscricket, did you know that in the UK they are banning vacuum cleaners that exceed a certain wattage? The incandescent light bulb is going the way of the dodo bird only to be replaced by a bulb that is considered to be hazardous waste when disposed of because they utilize mercury. Are we getting to the point of ridiculous yet?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to hypertext's comment:

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

What is the reason for banning these bags? I can think of a few possible reasons:

• Not biodegradeable

These bags have more uses than toting groceries from the store. I use them to throw out out used kitty litter. I am sure there are thousands of other uses.

What am I going to do with cat p**p now if the kooks in MA follow their leaders in CA?

Miscricket, did you know that in the UK they are banning vacuum cleaners that exceed a certain wattage? The incandescent light bulb is going the way of the dodo bird only to be replaced by a bulb that is considered to be hazardous waste when disposed of because they utilize mercury. Are we getting to the point of ridiculous yet?

Derp?

Derp?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

• Not biodegradeable

Haha..thanks :-)

I feel your pain with the kitty box. That is my main use for them but I small plastic trash bags to have on hand for that very reason.

Please don't get me started on the light bulbs. I dislike the new ones, they give me headaches..and my stockpile of the old type is starting to diminish.

The intrusiveness doesn't really sit well with me. I get that the government is concerned about the trash, but don't they have littering laws on the books? How about enforcing those? How about encouraging recycling of these bags?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

• Not biodegradeable

I feel your pain with the kitty box. That is my main use for them but I small plastic trash bags to have on hand for that very reason.

Please don't get me started on the light bulbs. I dislike the new ones, they give me headaches..and my stockpile of the old type is starting to diminish.

The intrusiveness doesn't really sit well with me. I get that the government is concerned about the trash, but don't they have littering laws on the books? How about enforcing those? How about encouraging recycling of these bags?

What I don't get is how all of these bags end up as litter. What the hell are people doing? I mean, the bags are full of groceries that you take from your car and walk into your house, right? So how in god's name do they end up outside? Once I reuse the bag till it's full use it then gets placed into my indoor trash barrel which is lined with a trash bag. That trash bag gets pulled from the barrel when full and tied. That bag then ends up in the barrel that get put at the end of our driveway on trash day. At no point could any of my little bags ever end up on the street. 

As for the light bulbs....the new type suck @55....although I've heard the LED lights are better than the CFL lights. Luckily there are still some incandescent ones available. We picked some up this past weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Good thinking California

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Why are you judging what is happening in CA from your MA perspective, and why do you think that your perspective is applicable when CA is over 6 times the size (in population, 33.3 million) as MA, and has a far more diverse population and landscape than MA will ever have?   Typical of New Englanders who think they know what's best for people who live 3,000 miles away.  :)  (just kidding ... !)

CA already has this ban in close to 100 jurisdictions, including San Francisco and LA, and therefore, there are millions of California residents who have already make this adjustment.

Concord, MA eliminated the sale of individual water bottles last year, I believe, and Brookline wants to do the same.   Natick wants to ban plastic altogether.   What makes MA any different, we are going in the same direction, aren't we?   

It's for "single-use" plastic bags; they'll still provide plastic bags, but they will be more sturdy, and if you buy one, it's up to you to save it and re-use it, for cat litter issues, nor for more groceries. (I have two kitties, I know from whence I speak -- ha!).  You said so yourself, "mis", in your first post, the bags currently provided fall apart on the way to your car.  Yesterday I bought something in CVS, it wasn't even heavy, and the sales cashier gave me a double bag (without asking) and you know what?  The inside bag ripped. 

As far as making it a government decision or mandate ... maybe you need to readjust your thinking and admit that the citizens of the United States are not "global thinkers" and the government's role is going to have to step up and take stronger measures, or at least make attempts in some cases.   Pick your battles.  What is "intrusive" about people keeping reusable bags in their car, or even in a back pack, in case they pick up a few groceries?  Why not make this a habit?  (it's been one for me for so long, I can't remember when it wasn't).

I find the expansion of the bottle deposit law in MA a bigger concern.  I am opposed to it, but am in the minority.  Apparently fewer than 25% of "non-redeemable" bottles are recycled -- according to a recent poll.  So you see, here we are,  trying to mandate more bottle deposits because MA residents are too lazy to recycle "other" plastic bottles after all these years of recycling?!  That is pathetic.    Instead of being concerned re: government intrusion, it's more alarming that people are still tossing so much plastic into the trash.  

Have a nice, hot, steamy day.  :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

What I don't get is how all of these bags end up as litter. What the hell are people doing?

Probably buying a few snacks at a convenience store and throwing all wrappers/bags on the ground because they are jerks like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

So you see, here we are,  trying to mandate more bottle deposits because MA residents are too lazy to recycle "other" plastic bottles after all these years of recycling?!  That is pathetic.    Instead of being concerned re: government intrusion, it's more alarming that people are still tossing so much plastic into the trash.  

Some places are switching to single-stream recycling, which produces significantly higher rates of recycling participation. Everything to be recycled goes in one bin on your end, and workers at the plant separate it. Also saves on fleet and fuel costs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

So you see, here we are,  trying to mandate more bottle deposits because MA residents are too lazy to recycle "other" plastic bottles after all these years of recycling?!  That is pathetic.    Instead of being concerned re: government intrusion, it's more alarming that people are still tossing so much plastic into the trash.  

Some places are switching to single streamm recycling, which produces significantly higher rates of recycling participation. Everything to be recycled goes in one bin on your end, and workers at the plant separate it. Also saves on fleet and fuel costs.

I have been with single / combined recycling at least 10 years, in two towns.   I am very familiar with it.   I know from whence I speak when I say can SEE people's trash where I live, filled with plastic containers, not in the recycle shed, but in their trash bags.  It's classic "you can lead a horse to water" ...  even in towns where recycling has progressed to be so easy, it should be a mindless process to toss a container into your recycling bag with glass and tin cans.  But it's not, I've seen it with my own eyes, for years.     I see loads of trashed newspapers, too.   Trash, not recycled.

If it's this easy here, and still not done, that does not bode well for towns that require residents to separate plastic from glass and tin cans.    As I said,  we have of course, made progress, but it's still shocking being an eye witness to what people do at this point in time.   I am hyper aware b/c I am a recycler through and through, and was raised that way, so I notice things other people don't even "see" or think about.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I wonder, does everyone rinse out their containers? 

Doesn't the glass break?  I like the idea of throwing everything in one container, however,  I am a little skeptical about where the stuff goes.

Plastic bags?  Aren't they recyclable now?   Paper bags are loaded with chemicals too.  Plus look at all the trees that have to die to make them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

• Not biodegradeable

What I don't get is how all of these bags end up as litter. What the hell are people doing? I mean, the bags are full of groceries that you take from your car and walk into your house, right? So how in god's name do they end up outside? Once I reuse the bag till it's full use it then gets placed into my indoor trash barrel which is lined with a trash bag. That trash bag gets pulled from the barrel when full and tied. That bag then ends up in the barrel that get put at the end of our driveway on trash day. At no point could any of my little bags ever end up on the street. 

As for the light bulbs....the new type suck @55....although I've heard the LED lights are better than the CFL lights. Luckily there are still some incandescent ones available. We picked some up this past weekend.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's hard to imagine how these things wind up in the ocean, on the street..etc to the level that is described as justification for this new law.

I've heard there are still some incandescent light bulbs available. I guess I am going to have to go in search of some..lol.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Why are you judging what is happening in CA from your MA perspective, and why do you think that your perspective is applicable when CA is over 6 times the size (in population, 33.3 million) as MA, and has a far more diverse population and landscape than MA will ever have?   Typical of New Englanders who think they know what's best for people who live 3,000 miles away.  :)  (just kidding ... !)

CA already has this ban in close to 100 jurisdictions, including San Francisco and LA, and therefore, there are millions of California residents who have already make this adjustment.

Concord, MA eliminated the sale of individual water bottles last year, I believe, and Brookline wants to do the same.   Natick wants to ban plastic altogether.   What makes MA any different, we are going in the same direction, aren't we?   

It's for "single-use" plastic bags; they'll still provide plastic bags, but they will be more sturdy, and if you buy one, it's up to you to save it and re-use it, for cat litter issues, nor for more groceries. (I have two kitties, I know from whence I speak -- ha!).  You said so yourself, "mis", in your first post, the bags currently provided fall apart on the way to your car.  Yesterday I bought something in CVS, it wasn't even heavy, and the sales cashier gave me a double bag (without asking) and you know what?  The inside bag ripped. 

As far as making it a government decision or mandate ... maybe you need to readjust your thinking and admit that the citizens of the United States are not "global thinkers" and the government's role is going to have to step up and take stronger measures, or at least make attempts in some cases.   Pick your battles.  What is "intrusive" about people keeping reusable bags in their car, or even in a back pack, in case they pick up a few groceries?  Why not make this a habit?  (it's been one for me for so long, I can't remember when it wasn't).

I find the expansion of the bottle deposit law in MA a bigger concern.  I am opposed to it, but am in the minority.  Apparently fewer than 25% of "non-redeemable" bottles are recycled -- according to a recent poll.  So you see, here we are,  trying to mandate more bottle deposits because MA residents are too lazy to recycle "other" plastic bottles after all these years of recycling?!  That is pathetic.    Instead of being concerned re: government intrusion, it's more alarming that people are still tossing so much plastic into the trash.  

Hi Yogafriend :-)

All great points raised by you ( as usual). I keep the reusable bags in my trunk and use them frequently. The only time I don't is when I want to stockpile some plastic bags for kitty litter use..lol  Often we'll ask for a couple of paper bags because those are easy for us to use for recycling newspapers.

I agree they are probably overused. The other day I was in CVS picking up a prescription. The girl behind the counter started putting the bag containing my prescription into a bigger plastic bag. I stopped her and she looked surprised.  I laughed and said I certainly didn't need two bags for something I could put inside my purse.

My point about intrusiveness is that I believe it's better to educate people and offer more recycling opportunities rather than outright bans in these matters. Also...I don't like that the legislation sets a minimum price that retailers MUST charge consumers for paper bags ( or reusable bags). That part I feel is overly intrusive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Some places are switching to single-stream recycling, which produces significantly higher rates of recycling participation. Everything to be recycled goes in one bin on your end, and workers at the plant separate it. Also saves on fleet and fuel costs.

We have single-stream recycling in my town...picked up curbside, once a week on trash day. I love it and it certainly encourages people to recycle. I still keep the paper separate more out of habit I suppose..but when they pick it up it all gets dumped into one truck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to GoneToTheDogs39's comment:

Doesn't the glass break?  I like the idea of throwing everything in one container, however,  I am a little skeptical about where the stuff goes.

Plastic bags?  Aren't they recyclable now?   Paper bags are loaded with chemicals too.  Plus look at all the trees that have to die to make them.

I rinse out all containers. I've never had a problem with glass breaking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If everyone rinses, that would mean an increase in the use of water.  I hear the glass breaking as my recycle bin contents get dumped into the big truck.

Ps:  I'm not fond of the people that dumpster dive my recycle bin once it hits the curb.  I guess they are looking for plastic bottles, and beverage containers (glass and plastic) they can take to NH for deposits.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Yup.

1. Flies,.

2. They ask us to.

Not if one is reasonably careful putting glass into the recycling bin.

Plastic bags?  Aren't they recyclable now?  

Somestore locations allow you to bring in used bags for recycling, but I'm not aware of any town that would accept them with the rest of one's recyclables. Different material from the plastics used in containers.

Paper bags are loaded with chemicals too.  Plus look at all the trees that have to die to make them.

yes, but those are readily recyclable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

It says recycle on the bags?   Everyone I know has been putting the ones that they don't need in the universal recycle bin for years now.

I wonder where all that stuff ends up, lol

How many things can I worry about!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

It says recyclable on the bags?   Everyone I know has been putting the ones that they don't need in the universal recycle bin for years now.

I wonder where all that stuff ends up, lol

How many things can I worry about!

Well, the recycling plant probably just throws them out. Maybe there are some towns where you can recycle shopping bags; I'm just not aware of them. It may not be that they cannot be recycled, just that only some places have facilities to handle that type of plastic.

But, the bag I used to carry my lunch in today has a notice on the bottom asking me to return it to the supermarket for recycling.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

• Not biodegradeable

That's kind of what I was thinking. It's hard to imagine how these things wind up in the ocean, on the street..etc to the level that is described as justification for this new law.

I've heard there are still some incandescent light bulbs available. I guess I am going to have to go in search of some..lol.

Just bought some at Home Depot this past Sunday. I believe Lowe's also has them

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi Yogafriend :-)

All great points raised by you ( as usual). I keep the reusable bags in my trunk and use them frequently. The only time I don't is when I want to stockpile some plastic bags for kitty litter use..lol  Often we'll ask for a couple of paper bags because those are easy for us to use for recycling newspapers.

I agree they are probably overused. The other day I was in CVS picking up a prescription. The girl behind the counter started putting the bag containing my prescription into a bigger plastic bag. I stopped her and she looked surprised.  I laughed and said I certainly didn't need two bags for something I could put inside my purse.

My point about intrusiveness is that I believe it's better to educate people and offer more recycling opportunities rather than outright bans in these matters. Also...I don't like that the legislation sets a minimum price that retailers MUST charge consumers for paper bags ( or reusable bags). That part I feel is overly intrusive.

Hiya!  First things first:  Cannot wait for "Castle" to resume.   Kate is the best heroine on (network) TV, and I also love the mum and daughter, Alexis, and all the villains, too.   So fun.  

I do agree with your major issues, in a sense, but I am probably more accepting that in some ways, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" from the standpoint that recycling remains a thorny issue, and many Americans still take a lot for granted.  I was raised to just take these actions without even thinking about them,  and I would think we are more "there" than we are.   Funny, but the whole concept of recycling, re-using, re-upping, multi-using, etc., has been around since the dawn of time    It's only very modern society that has come to believe that everything is disposable b/c of planned obsolescence.    I have to laugh at the number of times a plastic bag tore while I was carrying it to my car, that alone got me to bring my own cloth bags with me!

RE: bulbs.   They're available in lots of stores, you have to find them.  Try hardware stores, they still sell them in limited quantities since they are no longer manufactured, but still being cleared out.  I am stock piling them.  :)   I also have removed the lamp shades from my two of my lamps, as I am more into an "industrial" look, but I know that is not acceptable for most people.   :)   

I *love* this hot weather, and do not use a/c.  Could not be happier.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Yup.

1. Flies,.

2. They ask us to.

Not if one is reasonably careful putting glass into the recycling bin.

Plastic bags?  Aren't they recyclable now?  

Somestore locations allow you to bring in used bags for recycling, but I'm not aware of any town that would accept them with the rest of one's recyclables. Different material from the plastics used in containers.

Paper bags are loaded with chemicals too.  Plus look at all the trees that have to die to make them.

yes, but those are readily recyclable.

Making plastic bags uses just a fraction of the energy that it takes to make a paper bag.

plastic is a great thing, but is not recyclable, unless one considers much of the plastic bag manufacture is from recycled plastic.

So, I guess the recycling question depends on what part of the process you are examining.

Pros and cons:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/paper-plastic1.htm" rel="nofollow">http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/paper-plastic1.htm

Sections
Shortcuts