Can Obama handle North Korea???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Can Obama handle North Korea???

The threats and rhetoric coming from Lil Kim are at an all time high.  We are on the verge of intercepting a N. Korean cargo ship suspected of carrying nuclear material and they are threatening to fire a test missile in the direction of Hawaii on the 4th.

We know Lil Kim is a whacko...we know he has little regard for his own people...we know that he has been preparing his entire life for war....as he gets older, is it crazy to think that this old nut is thinking to himself...."What's the point of having this huge army, all of these weapons, doing all of this preparation and having these abilities, if I don't use them??"

Has he been waiting his whole life for this big moment???  Think about it.  You only build an Army if you feel threatenend or you are intent on going on an offensive.  He is getting old...his opportunities to be a great war commander are fading.  He's short, hungry and a little goofy looking...he gets little respect.  I think he's a ticking time bomb.

Someone please assure me that Obama has a plan..even better, tell me that my assumptions are wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Re: Can Obama handle North Korea???

Must be more of the "Obama Effect" I keep hearing about

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]Must be more of the "Obama Effect" I keep hearing about
    Posted by GreginMedford[/QUOTE]

LOL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I don't often agree with your positions, Mac, but you've got me on this one.  I too think he's a lunatic, and the problem is that NO ONE, US, Russia, China, etc. knows what to do with or about him. The CIA, KGB, etc. can't pin him down and the State Departments, Foreign Ministries, Pentagons, etc. can't make any contingency plans.  That's what scares me, that without any planned responses, any fiddlin' little thing could escalate rapidly out of control into total disaster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]I don't often agree with your positions, Mac, but you've got me on this one.  I too think he's a lunatic, and the problem is that NO ONE, US, Russia, China, etc. knows what to do with or about him. The CIA, KGB, etc. can't pin him down and the State Departments, Foreign Ministries, Pentagons, etc. can't make any contingency plans.  That's what scares me, that without any planned responses, any fiddlin' little thing could escalate rapidly out of control into total disaster.
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

We could dress Hillary up like Maddy Albreight and give them nuclear reactors if they promise to stay in the sandbox and play nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Gov. Sarah Palin....a "dumb airhead" according to our liberal pals......made the case for a large missile defense budget that included additional missile silos in Alaska. Palin argued last month for the funding for the missile defense agency to be fully restored.
     Yet Obama-- the genius-- cuts funding for missile defense which is the ONLY protection we have against this madman.
    Palin is already proved to be right, and Obama dead wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Everything ill-Kim has ever done has been centered around preparation for war.  He has invented enemies where there haven't been any.  He has done nothing to further the human condition or advance his nation with the exception of the military.  If you spend your whole life building for and preparing for war but it never comes....has your life been in vain??

Rational secure people with other priorities obviously say NO.  But this is ill-Kim Jong we are talking about.  He has been obsessed with his military and has the largest number of highly trained special forces in the world.

Why have all of those toys if you aren't going to try them out???  We have our military because we find peace in strength.  He has peace...peace is an easy choice for him.  Nobody threatens N. Korea because they have nothing of interest to offer the world.  Nobody is going after them.

I hope I am wrong.  But if ill Kim wants food and money for his country, he could achieve it in other ways.  I think he wants war.  I think he wants to prove that he has a great military.  I think he thinks he could win.  Of course it's not rational but he is not a rational person....he wants to command his Army.  He wants to play the big game that he has planning and practicing all of these years.

Why now???  He's getting old and his chance to try his Army is running out.  We have a young new unproven President.  We have forces tied up in two places far away.  We have an economic crisis.  We have little patience for another war.  We don't want to get too involved with a conflict with China.

I'm not making statements...I'm asking the questions.  Does anyone see it differently???  I hope I'm wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Realistically, North Korea presents very little threat to American citizens, there weapons capability by all accounts is highly limited, thus this is a situation in which our allies who have more at stake based on geography need to take the lead.  A missile at Hawaii on the 4th? if I had a Kauii vacation planned I don't think I'd be looking to re-schedule.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]Realistically, North Korea presents very little threat to American citizens, there weapons capability by all accounts is highly limited, thus this is a situation in which our allies who have more at stake based on geography need to take the lead.  A missile at Hawaii on the 4th? if I had a Kauii vacation planned I don't think I'd be looking to re-schedule.  
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

There are 35,000 American soldiers and Marines standing guard in the DMZ between South Korea and North Korea.  I would categorize those brave men and women as being close enough to be threatened.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Send in Team America....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]Realistically, North Korea presents very little threat to American citizens, there weapons capability by all accounts is highly limited, thus this is a situation in which our allies who have more at stake based on geography need to take the lead.  A missile at Hawaii on the 4th? if I had a Kauii vacation planned I don't think I'd be looking to re-schedule.  
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Have ya hoid of the 38th parallel?  How bout Alaska?

The Dong-a Ilbo newspaper in Seoul reported that the new missile was set for launch from the Dongchang-ni launch site on North Korea's west coast and could be a version of the Taepodong-2 fired in April. The report, citing unnamed sources, said the missile had a range of up to 4,000 miles and could reach Alaska.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]Send in Team America....
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Come on Matty..you can do better than that....do you think the old man is nuts and is itching to see how his Army measures up???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]Come on Matty..you can do better than that....do you think the old man is nuts and is itching to see how his Army measures up???
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think he's insane, but I don't presume to understand the motives or actions of such a mindset.  I mean, Castro and Chavez are arrogant, but they're not crazy.  Kim Jong Il wants attention, like a petulant child, and without multi-lateral talks, nothing at all will get done.

Best as I can tell, he's carrying out Biden's prediction of a "test" on the new administration and making noises to rattle the Japanese during a global recession.  Launching missiles won't "test his army".

The biggest problem with NK is nuclear weapons technology and the proliferation of it.  Without solving that problem, the rest is just more sabre-rattling.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Yes, there is a U.S. military presence but that is not what I am referring to when I say that North Korea is not a realisitc threat to American Citizens.

As to the Alaska point, maybe....  but if hundreds of millions of people around the world live with a more imminent threat than this everyday of their lives, I don't think the U.S. need be reactionary in this circumstance.

But sure, lets fly off the handle b/c we don't have enough other sh*t to worry about right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, there is a U.S. military presence but that is not what I am referring to when I say that North Korea is not a realisitc threat to American Citizens. As to the Alaska point, maybe....  but if hundreds of millions of people around the world live with a more imminent threat than this everyday of their lives, I don't think the U.S. need be reactionary in this circumstance. But sure, lets fly off the handle b/c we don't have enough other sh*t to worry about right now.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

In case you haven't noticed, its the UN doing the reacting.

Of course, I can think of a president who told the UN to pound sand, and his name ain't Bush

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

There are 35,000 American soldiers and Marines standing guard in the DMZ between South Korea and North Korea.  I would categorize those brave men and women as being close enough to be threatened.
    -----
    Not any more. Genuis boy Bush removed two of the three infantry brigades from the DMZ. One was sent to Ft. Lewis and the other is in Iraq (although they may have returned stateside by now). There is only one American infantry brigade on the DMZ at this time. And I don't think there are any U. S. Marine units on the DMZ.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]There are 35,000 American soldiers and Marines standing guard in the DMZ between South Korea and North Korea.  I would categorize those brave men and women as being close enough to be threatened. ----- Not any more. Genuis boy Bush removed two of the three infantry brigades from the DMZ. One was sent to Ft. Lewis and the other is in Iraq (although they may have returned stateside by now). There is only one American infantry brigade on the DMZ at this time. And I don't think there are any U. S. Marine units on the DMZ.
    Posted by AlleyCatBruin[/QUOTE]

There are 28,500 troops in S Korea, and 50,000 in Japan.  We've been drawing down DMZ forces since Carter, who wanted only 14,000.  Congress stopped that.  A DEM congress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]There are 28,500 troops in S Korea, and 50,000 in Japan.  We've been drawing down DMZ forces since Carter, who wanted only 14,000.  Congress stopped that.  A DEM congress.
    ---------------
    Are you afraid of the truth? Your hero DUHbya, the worst President ever, while he had a republican majority in the Congress, removed two of the three combat infantry brigades from the DMZ.  The troops that you mention in SK and Japan are support troops. The lone infantry brigade combat team on the DMZ is pretty much the only ground combat unit that we have in that area at this time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

Hey - Before you call Bush worst president ever you may want to take a good look around this country! Ive been on the planet 46 years and have never seen the state of the country this F-ed Up !!!!!

I already know who my vote for worst president is!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

My hero?

You're dumber than a sack of hair

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]My hero? You're dumber than a sack of hair
    Posted by GreginMedford[/QUOTE]
    ===
    Yes, your hero.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE][QUOTE]There are 28,500 troops in S Korea, and 50,000 in Japan.  We've been drawing down DMZ forces since Carter, who wanted only 14,000.  Congress stopped that.  A DEM congress. --------------- Are you afraid of the truth? Your hero DUHbya, the worst President ever, while he had a republican majority in the Congress, removed two of the three combat infantry brigades from the DMZ.  The troops that you mention in SK and Japan are support troops. The lone infantry brigade combat team on the DMZ is pretty much the only ground combat unit that we have in that area at this time.    

Care to share links to the info that proves this. No offense but I don't know you enough to just take your word for it. Thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

[QUOTE]=== Yes, your hero.

Keep peggin' the Dunce-o-meter mate.  Its a blast

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

The funniest thing about this whole North Korea issue is. The US Destroyer that is trailing and will intercept the North Korean ship that we believe might have nuclear materials, weapons, missles on it but cannot board due to a stupid NATO resolution is named the JOHN MCCAIN. Named after John McCain's father (I think). Go John Go!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Let's stipulate for the purposes of this discussion that there are 28,000 instead of 35,000 American soldiers on the ground in the DMZ.

Are the lives of those 28,000 somehow less valuable than if there were 7000 more???

Who cares if it's 28k today 35k yesterday??

The point is....if Lil Kim does something, Americans die.

Fewer troops there today is Bush's fault?  Obama has been President since Jan 20, surely if we needed more boots on the ground there, the great one would have ordered it.  He has had the time, and he certainly has the authority.

Sections
Shortcuts