Can Santa be Black?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Can Santa be Black?

The wonderful thing about imaginary people is that they can be whatever it is that you imagine them to be.

That said, I'm pretty sure that St. Nicholas was white. Not that this matters in any way whatsoever.

I'm still trying to figure out why this is a "thing."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Well, in the traditional sense i.e. movies, Christmas cartoons, advertising/commercials, shopping malls even the Macy's Parade, Santa has always been white. And has been portrayed this way in the US for generations.

The question asked, can Santa be black? Countries around the world may have their own tradition as to how Santa is potrayed, especially countries where white people are not common. It would make sense to have Santa look more like they do. So I guess yes Santa could be black, or any other race.

Here in the US if a black little girl or boy sees Santa as they are, great. It's their magical moment this time of year, and anyone who grew up celebrating Christmas, knows how magical that Christmas Eve & Christmas morning was when you were a little kid. 

Can Santa be black in the US on a commercial level? The Santa we all know in this country is a tradition and so ingrained, probably not. IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

The wonderful thing about imaginary people is that they can be whatever it is that you imagine them to be.

That said, I'm pretty sure that St. Nicholas was white. Not that this matters in any way whatsoever.

SB,

I believe this year it became a "thing" when Megyn...with a y...Kelly of FOX insisted on the air that Santa Claus, a fictional charater, was "verifiably white".

After the ensuing uproar, she came back on the air, not to spin what she said, but to spend 15 more minutes insisting that Sants Claus is "verifiably white". 

Megyn also had some interesting things to say about Jesus...a real person. 

The most "interesting thing" she insists is that Jesus as well was white.

Historians, etc., quite disagree with her position. 

I beleve that is the gist of this "thing".

As I am in 5pm Mass with family and friends on Xmas Eve, and then returning to one of our homes for our traditional Xmas Eve dinner and unwrapping of a few presents, I will not be the one who brings up either assertion. 

However, if any of the conservative, Republican members bait me, I have to decide whether to turn the other cheek, perhaps have another gin based cocktail, and save my rant for the drive back to MA from RI.

After all, Xmas is really about the children.

Probably will have a drink before I leave for RI since I will not be the one driving. Gin in coffee...or anything else I can find... since I do not have any Irish Whiskey in the house at the moment. 

Cannot figure out how my closest family mostly tilts so right. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

SB,

I believe this year it became a "thing" when Megyn...with a y...Kelly of FOX insisted on the air that Santa Claus, a fictional charater, was "verifiably white".

After the ensuing uproar, she came back on the air, not to spin what she said, but to spend 15 more minutes insisting that Sants Claus is "verifiably white". 

Megyn also had some interesting things to say about Jesus...a real person. 

The most "interesting thing" she insists is that Jesus as well was white.

Historians, etc., quite disagree with her position. 

I beleve that is the gist of this "thing".

As I am in 5pm Mass with family and friends on Xmas Eve, and then returning to one of our homes for our traditional Xmas Eve dinner and unwrapping of a few presents, I will not be the one who brings up either assertion. 

However, if any of the conservative, Republican members bait me, I have to decide whether to turn the other cheek, perhaps have another gin based cocktail, and save my rant for the drive back to MA from RI.

After all, Xmas is really about the children.

Probably will have a drink before I leave for RI since I will not be the one driving. Gin in coffee...or anything else I can find... since I do not have any Irish Whiskey in the house at the moment. 

Cannot figure out how my closest family mostly tilts so right. 

Gin & coffee? In my twenties I bartended for a few years, I never had anyone ask me for that combination. Interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Well of course today's Santa could be black or any ethnicity.

But historically Santa Claus does stem from European traditions amalgamated modified marketed and perfected by the American melting pot of assimilation.  Santa of fifty or one hundred years ago very much matched the creative image of the Coca Cola company and Clement Moore. But today Santa would match the image of today's American society and make up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUOTEE]I believe this year it became a "thing" when Megyn...with a y...Kelly of FOX insisted on the air that Santa Claus, a fictional charater, was "verifiably white".[/QUOTE]

I still don't get it. Obviously both Santa and Jesus have traditionally been depicted as having white skin but why does any of this matter?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTEE]I believe this year it became a "thing" when Megyn...with a y...Kelly of FOX insisted on the air that Santa Claus, a fictional charater, was "verifiably white".

I still don't get it. Obviously both Santa and Jesus have traditionally been depicted as having white skin but why does any of this matter?

Because it happened on FOX, any other network it's a non-story.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from undermyskin. Show undermyskin's posts

[QUOTEE]I believe this year it became a "thing" when Megyn...with a y...Kelly of FOX insisted on the air that Santa Claus, a fictional charater, was "verifiably white".

gotta have some hate in the mix.

Stanta changes colour at every household !

What I was tolded by my redneck grand pa

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Didn't certain people make a point to point out that Santa isn't real in the '42% of Repubs believe Santa is "verifiably white"' thread?....yet here we are...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

Well, in the traditional sense i.e. movies, Christmas cartoons, advertising/commercials, shopping malls even the Macy's Parade, Santa has always been white. And has been portrayed this way in the US for generations.

The question asked, can Santa be black? Countries around the world may have their own tradition as to how Santa is potrayed, especially countries where white people are not common. It would make sense to have Santa look more like they do. So I guess yes Santa could be black, or any other race.

Here in the US if a black little girl or boy sees Santa as they are, great. It's their magical moment this time of year, and anyone who grew up celebrating Christmas, knows how magical that Christmas Eve & Christmas morning was when you were a little kid. 

Can Santa be black in the US on a commercial level? The Santa we all know in this country is a tradition and so ingrained, probably not. IMO.

newman,

Merry Xmas!

Though I am not sure I have ever stated this, but I am a white woman married to a white man.

If though, I was a black woman, married to a black man, obviously our children would have been black as well.

When "daddy" dressed up as Santa, they would have seen a black Santa.

We probably would have a lot more black friends as well, and our children would probably have had a lot more black friends.

I believe the dolls, books and such would have reflected our racial background. 

I do not know if I would have taken them to sit on a white Sata's lap, etc.

Sometimes as white people I think we do not mean to be racist, but we do not place ourselves in the shoes of other races, other ethnic backgrounds, etc.

Soon, Hispanics will outnumber whites in America. So, for commercial reasons, should Santas start being portrayed as Hispanic rather then white?

Or should Santas be portrayed as the melting pot America is?

I do not have the answer. Is there a correct answer?

Andie can you see me now the  Navy chief

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yeah, well whatever. Everybody knows that Santa, Obama, Dubya and Queen Elizabeth are all reptilians.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yes.

But for obvious reasons, the similarly fictitious Frosty the Snowman cannot be black. (except in the event of a nuclear winter or a volcanic ash storm)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Yeah, well whatever. Everybody knows that Santa, Obama, Dubya and Queen Elizabeth are all reptilians.

And I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords....

newman,

"Gin & coffee? In my twenties I bartended for a few years, I never had anyone ask me for that combination. Interesting."

Well, the thing is, I cannot tolerate wine or beer due to the fermatation. Liquers are pretty much out as well.

That leaves distilled liquor. Gin is the liquor I can best tolerate, Then vodka. Then you go darker and darker and my level of tolerance goes down.

Kind of like an allergy. Started in the mid 1990s. Befoe then I was fine though I really did not drink very much.

So...gin is at the top of my list now when I choose to drink. Really do not care what it is in as long as it is not a shot of gin. Diet anything, juice, etc.

Gordons is pretty inexpensive. I like the blue gin for gifts and when i am out with friends and or colleages. Also when I want to splurge.

Must have been interesting being a bartender. Just saw the movie "Cocktail" on cable with Tom Cruise. 

Looks like bartenders can have quite a lot of fun and make a lot of money. And meet a lot of girls. (:

In response to undermyskin's comment:

Andie can you see me now the  Navy chief

I can see andie but can she see me, i'm blocked ,banned man

• You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Yes.

But for obvious reasons, the similarly fictitious Frosty the Snowman cannot be black. (except in the event of a nuclear winter or a volcanic ash storm)

Not so sure about that; ever notice urban snow day two after storm.

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Well, not that it matters, but he and Jesus would have the darker skin of greeks/mediterraneans of the time.

File:Saint Nicholas.jpg

File:Icon c 1500 St Nicholas.JPG

I know you were there at that time. Greeks I saw were oilve skin like most southern Italians.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

newman,

"Gin & coffee? In my twenties I bartended for a few years, I never had anyone ask me for that combination. Interesting."

Well, the thing is, I cannot tolerate wine or beer due to the fermatation. Liquers are pretty much out as well.

That leaves distilled liquor. Gin is the liquor I can best tolerate, Then vodka. Then you go darker and darker and my level of tolerance goes down.

Kind of like an allergy. Started in the mid 1990s. Befoe then I was fine though I really did not drink very much.

So...gin is at the top of my list now when I choose to drink. Really do not care what it is in as long as it is not a shot of gin. Diet anything, juice, etc.

Gordons is pretty inexpensive. I like the blue gin for gifts and when i am out with friends and or colleages. Also when I want to splurge.

Must have been interesting being a bartender. Just saw the movie "Cocktail" on cable with Tom Cruise. 

Looks like bartenders can have quite a lot of fun and make a lot of money. And meet a lot of girls. (:

You're better off going with the lesser expensive gin if you are going to mix it with tonic or juice, you would have to be a real gin connoisseur to notice the difference. A martini? Yes, go top shelf like a Bombay Safire. 

It was very fun, one time I remeber candy necklaceses being passed around, by the end of the night girls were biting them off my neck. Ahhh those were the days!

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I resent the reptillian comments, and I am highly offended.

No, reptile ever did anything to hurt a human being...

...actually that's not really true.

Godzilla was more black than white, but he's considered to be a fictional character also, sort of like George W. Bush is a living cartoon.

newman,

You're better off going with the lesser expensive gin if you are going to mix it with tonic or juice, you would have to be a real gin connoisseur to notice the difference. A martini? Yes, go top shelf like a Bombay Safire. 

It was very fun, one time I remeber candy necklaceses being passed around, by the end of the night girls were biting them off my neck. Ahhh those were the days!

newman,

Thanks for the tip. I do so like the look of the Bombay Safire when you set up a bar when entertaining. 

Girls biting candy necklaces off you neck. Lordy, lordy. You must have been one of those bad boys in your twenties. A bad boy with no regrets and lots of memories. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

yes santa can be black or any other color...he just can't be a liberal...santa is a conservative...thankfully.

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

A martini? Yes, go top shelf like a Blue Safire. 

I vote for Hendrick's. Failing that, Beefeater is pretty solid.

This is great . More tips. Thanks.

Maybe I will stock up on all three. Then I can compare them side by side. 

Get back to you all when I am thru testing.

Cannot do champage for New Year's Eve. This sounds like a great substitution. 

This and Chinese food of course.

• Sections
    Shortcuts