Re: Canadian Healthcare for individuals

In response to miscricket's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:

Your post is meaningless unless you are prepared to post the same numbers with regards to the US.

Either way..it's difficult to overcome the US' low ranking among industrialized nations. No doubt our quality and research is near the top...but without access it is meaningless.

Costa Rica has a better ranking than US. You telling me Costa Rica has better health care than the US? That tells me all I need to know about how the ranking works.

If they have a better ranking it's because they have better overall outcomes for the entire population. I am sure their research and treatment is not as sophisticated as ours..but clearly what they are doing works for them. The same cannot be said for us.

Outside of the state of MA..there are plenty of people who don't have access to quality healthcare...only to emergency or urgent care..when outcomes are less likely to be successful.

Many lower working class people do not have access to the kind of preventative care that improves overall outcomes in everyone. 

In Ma the numbers are somewhat lower because there is healthcare reform...but even then..there are exceptions. I know a woman who works at my hairdressers. She opted to pay the fine because she couldn't afford health insurance..made too much to qualify for any assistance..but not enough to be able to afford to pay for health insurance, food, housing, etc.  She never went to the doctors because she couldn't afford to pay out of pocket either. Then..she started having a lot of pains and her health deteriorated. She wound up in a hospital emergency room where she was diagnosed with kidney cancer. The cancer had spread to her bones..so her outcome is not going to be a good one. Sadly..stories like this one happen across the country daily. Hardworking people who just can't afford the cost of our healthcare and therefore don't seek treatment until it's too late.

Yes what they ARE doing does work. Which is not having a McDonald's on every other corner for starters. They also don't have the stress level the US has. They walk while we drive, and on and on.

It's unfortunate about the hairdresser not being able to have preventitive care. Reminds me  of the millions who DO have ability for preventive care yet don't utilize it. Point? We can have all the access we want but if you don't access it what good is it. Guys in particular don't go to doctors on regular basis. My dad being one of them. He had great access but didn't uilize it until it was too late.

We need to change our culture here. We need to stop being glutonous lazy slobs and get away from this macho thing about not going to doctors. We change our culture and start living healthier and we'll see our costs come down. Until that happens our cost will continue to skyrocket.

I agree that there are a lot of things individuals can do to improve their health status which is one of the reasons I support the so called "sin taxes". Of course..not every disease or illness can be traced to lifestyle decisions. Some are just bad luck..or hereditary...or environmental.

In the case of the woman who worked at my hairdresser..it was cheaper for her to pay the "tax" than it was to pay for a basic health insurance policy which provided very little coverage anyhow.

To me..we have it backwards in this country. Emergency care is universally available..but preventative care is not..when it's the preventative care that will save us the most money in the long run. Preventing someone from developing diabetes is a lot cheaper than treating it once they have it.

Lifestyle decsions?  Somehow I bet you have no problem with certain lifestyle decsison that lead to illness and death, and are willing to come down heavy on others.

What are you babbling about..?

from your post:

I agree that there are a lot of things individuals can do to improve their health status which is one of the reasons I support the so called "sin taxes". Of course..not every disease or illness can be traced to lifestyle decisions. Some are just bad luck..or hereditary...or environmental.

that's what I am talking about.  Where you talk about sin taxes for those who do things that hurt their health.  So, I am betting, dollars to doughnuts ( I love that expression) that you exempt some lifestyle decisions that you are approving of, or agnostic towards, while condemming others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Re: Canadian Healthcare for individuals

not one liberal supporter of canadian healthcare when sick or with a sick child would leave the lobby of MGH, get in their prius and drive to montreal for care.....not one...

why?? because even the libbys know our healthcare is second to none on the planet....

Sections
Shortcuts