Capitalism, Christianity and the Turkey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Capitalism, Christianity and the Turkey

Have you heard the news lately? It's not bad enough that stores start setting up their Christmas displays before Halloween...not bad enough that retailers have almost completely hijacked what is supposed to be a religious holiday..now comes the news that retailers also want to hijack Thanksgiving.

News is that stores such as Walmart and Sears..perhaps Target..are planning on opening their doors earlier on Thanksgiving. 8pm is not so bad..but this is a slippery slope and the time to send a message to greedy retailers is now...before Thanksgiving has been completely invaded.

There is no justification for any retailer to open up on Thanksgiving. Retail workers ought to be able to set aside this day to spend with family...or serving meals to the poor..or well..simply to rest.  Make no mistake..the only reason to open on Thanksgiving day is greed..plain and simple.

The good news is that we consumers have a choice and I hope everyone chooses not to participate in this demonstration of corporate greed. No one needs to shop on Thanksgiving...at least not so badly that the human cost for that shopping trip is that someone else is obligated to take time away from their family to wait on you.

What do you think..? Do you think retailers have gone too far already...?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Capitalism, Christianity and the Turkey

I decline to patronize any store that doesn't respect the Thanksgiving holiday.

Anybody missing Thanksgiving with family to go stand in line -- just to stampede into a discount retailer and gorge on cheaply made-in-China products -- should revisit their common sense. These sales are created for the benefit of the retailers, with absolutely no regard for the employees. The Targets and Wal-Marts know that the words "50% off!" and "70% off!" will seduce non-thinking, frantic consumers into purchasing many more items than they ever would otherwise, thereby netting a nice profit for the stores, and a big fat monthly bill for the sheep.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I decline to patronize any store that doesn't respect the Thanksgiving holiday.

Anybody missing Thanksgiving with family to go stand in line -- just to stampede into a discount retailer and gorge on cheaply made-in-China products -- should revisit their common sense. These sales are created for the benefit of the retailers, with absolutely no regard for the employees. The Targets and Wal-Marts know that the words "50% off!" and "70% off!" will seduce non-thinking, frantic consumers into purchasing many more items than they ever would otherwise, thereby netting a nice profit for the stores, and a big fat monthly bill for the sheep.

[/QUOTE]

I think the issue for the retailers is less getting shoppers in on the Thursday, but getting their employees in to prepare for the Friday that follows. Black Friday is one of the big shopping days because virtually everyone has it off and there are usually sales to kick off the season.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Good topic and opening, as usual, miscricket.  Except I'd like to add that Thanksgiving is the one holiday that is for all faiths in this way.

I wonder if there's a "moreover" here.  Notice that it's Walmart, Toys-R-Us, Target and the like who are leading. (Though Macy's, Nordstrom and Needless Markup are likely to follow.)  Perhaps catering to the layaway market with proportionately less access, ability and inclination to buy online?  And the people called into work are low-end wage retail sales people.  So does this disproportionately appeal to and affect a particular demographic?

Then again, it just may be grabbing the market who are sick of all that family, and all that football. (Half humor, whole serious.)  ...football being the first invader of Thanksgiving to capitalize on the fact that people did tire of family.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

One thing I think is good is to thank the workers if one does choose to go, or is dragged, to the mall.  I know, it's double- or triple-time, but still...

And while we're at it, and while my do-gooder side is - albeit temporarily - exceeding my avaricious side, I hope people will patronize "small business Saturday" and that it will grow.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes-

Remember to thank the workers and also get their resume. They will need a lot of help as many part time people will be out of a job once Obama Care kicks in as the greedy retailers will not be able to keep them in employment.

[/QUOTE]

Medicaid is what covers millions of these brick and mortar store employees when something happens to them, not their employer.  These people working on Thankgiving are who the GOP look down their nose at and refer to as the "takers". 

The 6 Walmart heirs possess more wealth ($93 billion) than 41% of all Americans combined. But do they pay a living wage to their front line employees, or provide health insurance, or a pension plan? Don't make them howl with disdainful laughter.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

I work in an industry where holidays off don't exist so i am used to it. I get what your saying though. I'm actually surprised by the reaction of the right wingers. I guess capitalism for them is king over even patriotism or religion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes-

Remember to thank the workers and also get their resume. They will need a lot of help as many part time people will be out of a job once Obama Care kicks in as the greedy retailers will not be able to keep them in employment.

[/QUOTE]

Medicaid is what covers millions of these brick and mortar store employees when something happens to them, not their employer.  These people working on Thankgiving are who the GOP look down their nose at and refer to as the "takers". 

The 6 Walmart heirs possess more wealth ($93 billion) than 41% of all Americans combined. But do they pay a living wage to their front line employees, or provide health insurance, or a pension plan? Don't make them howl with disdainful laughter.

[/QUOTE]

Does any retail company pay a "living" wage to cashiers, stock persons, etc?

Walmart does offer health insurance

What retailer do you know that offers pension? Christ, other than civil service jobs I don't know really any private company that offers pensions. If they do they are the exception to the rule.

[/QUOTE]

Walmart et al, offer health insurance to very few employees. The game retailers play is to hire lots of part time workers and therefore getting out of providing benefits. They've been doing this long before Obamacare.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes-

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What retailer do you know that offers pension? Christ, other than civil service jobs I don't know really any private company that offers pensions. If they do they are the exception to the rule.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps by pension plan User really meant retirement plan ( 401k). Probably not that either. Doubt if most people making $8/hr can worry about saving for retirement anyhow

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yes-

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Walmart et al, offer health insurance to very few employees. The game retailers play is to hire lots of part time workers and therefore getting out of providing benefits. They've been doing this long before Obamacare.

[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart had agreed to offer part-time employees, even those averaging less than 24 hours a week, health care insurance after a year on the job, shaving a year off the eligibility requirement. 

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected but two things: No guarantee that other retailers will follow suit.  Plus $8/hr and the employee is probably being subsidized by the government anyhow.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Sold. I am going to work for WalMart. They offer better benefits then the hotel business!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I do most of my xmas shopping on line.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

My only complaint about the season is having to hear, "every kiss begins with K".  I hate their commercials. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

You want to shop after Thanksgiving dinner...shop.

You want to go old school and be with friends and family...great.

A lot of people could use a good walk around the mall after a 7000 calorie meal.

For some retailers this time of year is 50% of their annual gross, when you work in retail this time of year, this is what you signed up for. Don't be schocked.

25. This post has been removed.