Capitalism, Christianity and the Turkey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Capitalism, Christianity and the Turkey

No offense, but I see this as a tempest in a teapot, TBH.   The issue is about 3 stores. 

A slippery slope to open earlier?   As per the way marijuana leads to heroin?  For someone who thought physician-assisted suicide (choice) was a "no brainer", you're more provoked about Walmart's hours and consumer spending (choice) on Thanksgiving; Walmart's hours aren't a matter of life and death, are they?   

I wouldn't shop at 8:00 at night on any night  -- let alone Thanksgiving -- so I can't speak from that head set.  ;-)     I also don't give big ticket items for gifts, or stand in lines.   :)

If there are people who want to shop to get a bargain, it's none of my business.   If there are people who want to earn double time wages to work that night, that's none of my business either.   If all consumers boycott the stores and refuse to shop, so be it.  

BTW, Whole Foods has been open for the past few years on Thanksgiving DAY -- all day -- just not in MA.     Coming soon ...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My only complaint about the season is having to hear, "every kiss begins with K".  I hate their commercials. 

[/QUOTE]

They are awful!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just noticed the Christianity in the title, we're talking about a country that is constantly being sued to remove God from everything and anything.....when we started letting this happen that is where the sliding began.  

Aren't the LWNJ's constantly saying rights for everyone? Well isn't it a business or shoppers right to shop or sell? It's you LWNJ's that started done this slope. You all want that warm and fuzzy feeling of yesteryear, but don't like some of the changes that come with it. 

[/QUOTE]

It seemed to me the point of the original post was the double standard?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think probably I didn't articulate what I was thinking well enough...( in my defense..it was before coffee!). Faolano got it the closest. I guess I just feel that the hijacking of Christmas  by retailers is worse than being offended by "Happy Holidays".

At the end of the day...it is about choice..so I suppose to each their own. People should do what makes them happy...and as long as retail employees are not forced to work on Thanksgiving..then who am I to judge.

I will be quite happy Thanksgiving afternoon surrounded by the people who mean the most to me. Weather permitting..I will be taking that walk outside, along the river rather than in a store. Opting out of the whole commercialization of Christmas has made my holidays much more enjoyable the past few years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]

I just noticed the Christianity in the title, we're talking about a country that is constantly being sued to remove God from everything and anything.....when we started letting this happen that is where the sliding began.  

Aren't the LWNJ's constantly saying rights for everyone? Well isn't it a business or shoppers right to shop or sell? It's you LWNJ's that started done this slope. You all want that warm and fuzzy feeling of yesteryear, but don't like some of the changes that come with it. 

[/QUOTE]

Just keep church and state separate. You can have your "Christianity" and I'll enjoy turkey and football on Thanksgiving. Glory be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think probably I didn't articulate what I was thinking well enough...( in my defense..it was before coffee!). Faolano got it the closest. I guess I just feel that the hijacking of Christmas  by retailers is worse than being offended by "Happy Holidays".

At the end of the day...it is about choice..so I suppose to each their own. People should do what makes them happy...and as long as retail employees are not forced to work on Thanksgiving..then who am I to judge.

I will be quite happy Thanksgiving afternoon surrounded by the people who mean the most to me. Weather permitting..I will be taking that walk outside, along the river rather than in a store. Opting out of the whole commercialization of Christmas has made my holidays much more enjoyable the past few years.

[/QUOTE]

I do enjoy Christmas music though.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

People who work in finance may also find themselves working on holidays, especially if you work in a department that deals with or supports foreign markets. All Thanksgiving would mean to them is that there would be no work from the US that day, but the rest of the world is still working.

Personally, if you want to shop that night, go right ahead. Just make sure you know what you're getting into, for entering the store that night is a lot like the running of the brides (yes, the jokes are funny until its your bride on TV punching and kicking someone to get a gown).

Alas, I actually won't have most of the cash to buy stuff until December, so I'll probably pass on shopping that night. Instead, I'll be at the clubhouse, with COD in the Xbox, joining my brother on-line to remind all those spoiled kids just how lousy they really are.

Or, another old favorit, the B-movie marathon. Flash Gordon (80's version, of course), Ice Pirates, Hudson Hawk, History of the World Part 1, The Star Wars Christmas Special, etc., etc., etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me too Captain :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to undead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People who work in finance may also find themselves working on holidays, especially if you work in a department that deals with or supports foreign markets. All Thanksgiving would mean to them is that there would be no work from the US that day, but the rest of the world is still working.

Personally, if you want to shop that night, go right ahead. Just make sure you know what you're getting into, for entering the store that night is a lot like the running of the brides (yes, the jokes are funny until its your bride on TV punching and kicking someone to get a gown).

Alas, I actually won't have most of the cash to buy stuff until December, so I'll probably pass on shopping that night. Instead, I'll be at the clubhouse, with COD in the Xbox, joining my brother on-line to remind all those spoiled kids just how lousy they really are.

Or, another old favorit, the B-movie marathon. Flash Gordon (80's version, of course), Ice Pirates, Hudson Hawk, History of the World Part 1, The Star Wars Christmas Special, etc., etc., etc.

[/QUOTE]

I do like the B Movie marathons on Thanksgiving eve. Nine times out of ten...I am the hostess of the Thanksgiving meal...can't even get out of it this year even though I am doing a road race in the morning!

At the end of the day...it's nice to put my feet up and watch the movies. I guess part of my issue is that I can't imagine a worse way to spend Thanksgiving eve than venturing out to a store with throngs of other people...but like others have said..it's a personal choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Seeing as I attend many of the local convention here, being out amongst a throng of people is something I have gotten used to, although, the people at the cons aren't as violent as the people at the stores.

I'm not kidding. As someone who's been in one of the lines, unless you are a large person who people can figure out you can handle yourself, be ready to be run over when those doors open. And if you're going for the TV, video game, or anything else electronic, have a fast runner with you to hold a spot in line for it, or to grab it.

In other words, if you're the big guy, protect your friend who is willing to run for it. If you're the runner, run like hell, grab it, get to the check-out line, and wait for your friend to meet you at the door before leaving (the people in-line and in the store are bad enough, but the people outside waiting to hold a gun to your head and rob you are worse).

If you are going out that night then I wish you all the luck in getting the item(s) you want. If not, enjoy the day and make the most of it any way you can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Have you heard the news lately? It's not bad enough that stores start setting up their Christmas displays before Halloween...not bad enough that retailers have almost completely hijacked what is supposed to be a religious holiday..now comes the news that retailers also want to hijack Thanksgiving.

News is that stores such as Walmart and Sears..perhaps Target..are planning on opening their doors earlier on Thanksgiving. 8pm is not so bad..but this is a slippery slope and the time to send a message to greedy retailers is now...before Thanksgiving has been completely invaded.

There is no justification for any retailer to open up on Thanksgiving. Retail workers ought to be able to set aside this day to spend with family...or serving meals to the poor..or well..simply to rest.  Make no mistake..the only reason to open on Thanksgiving day is greed..plain and simple.

The good news is that we consumers have a choice and I hope everyone chooses not to participate in this demonstration of corporate greed. No one needs to shop on Thanksgiving...at least not so badly that the human cost for that shopping trip is that someone else is obligated to take time away from their family to wait on you.

What do you think..? Do you think retailers have gone too far already...?

[/QUOTE]

You democrats are really tied up in knots about the inconsequential things in life, aren't you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFefio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes-

Remember to thank the workers and also get their resume. They will need a lot of help as many part time people will be out of a job once Obama Care kicks in as the greedy retailers will not be able to keep them in employment.

[/QUOTE]

Medicaid is what covers millions of these brick and mortar store employees when something happens to them, not their employer.  These people working on Thankgiving are who the GOP look down their nose at and refer to as the "takers". 

The 6 Walmart heirs possess more wealth ($93 billion) than 41% of all Americans combined. But do they pay a living wage to their front line employees, or provide health insurance, or a pension plan? Don't make them howl with disdainful laughter.

[/QUOTE]

You don't understand economics, do you?

You can pay all the Walmart employees a living wage, and you will be paying $3,000 for a $500 TV.

As a matter of fact, so will these "living wage" employees.

Hint to the left:  Stop treating jobs and the economy as static pies to be divided as you see fit. Jobs and economies are dynamic, and not yours.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I would like to give Thanks for this !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NflemlptxDQ

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me too Captain :-)

[/QUOTE]

LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to give Thanks for this !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NflemlptxDQ

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Curly and I went to the same cooking school! Nyuk NyuK Nyuk:)...........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Christians are the only group you can hate, at least according to the LWNJ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Christians" have enough hate to pass around to satisfy everyone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Captain Alley Cat....I feel like I should make the distinction between real christians and the faux christians that exist on this site and in some sects of the right wing fringe. The real Christians believe in helping the poor...money is not important to them...they would never speak ill of someone in need...and they live their lives in the service of others.

The people who identify themselves as Christian..and then use words and actions that are anything but...are not Christian. They are wanna-be Christians who likely don't spend a lot of time learning about their faith. It's sad ..really...that they have hijacked an entire faith for their own selfish desires. One wonders what God really thinks of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Captain Alley Cat....I feel like I should make the distinction between real christians and the faux christians that exist on this site and in some sects of the right wing fringe. The real Christians believe in helping the poor...money is not important to them...they would never speak ill of someone in need...and they live their lives in the service of others.

The people who identify themselves as Christian..and then use words and actions that are anything but...are not Christian. They are wanna-be Christians who likely don't spend a lot of time learning about their faith. It's sad ..really...that they have hijacked an entire faith for their own selfish desires. One wonders what God really thinks of them.

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks...and once again caught the news reports this morning of all the "good will" on Black Friday. Once again..I was reminded that the craziness of Black Friday has very little to do with the Christmas spirit..even if the producers of the Black Friday craziness choose to invoke the Christmas holiday to further their own ends.

Also..given the number of people buying high end items..I guess the economy is not quite as bad as some would have us believe.

I understand that some people find standing in long lines and pushing and shoving in the name of buying something you can buy any day of the week... fun....but I just don't get the appeal.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I work in retail and I am so sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

I hate the holidays and I have hated them for nearly 25 years or so. The type of retail store I work at is not a large retailer nor is it a place you would expect would be very concerned about holiday shopping , Black Fridays and really much of anything to do with the season. Our big seasons are Spring and Fall. We logically shouldn't bother to participate in these ridiculous sales events that create frenzy, selfishness and very, very LOW MARGINS. But, we do it anyway...why? -Because everyone else does and NOT having a Black Friday sale is certain death for the day after Thanksgiving. Thank goodness our employers have never entertained the thought of opening on Thanksgiving. Our relatively small staf would likely all call in sick....this I am almost sure of.

The bottom line is ,my days of working in retail go back to more innocent times. Times when we accepted the fact that there were some days that you just won'y sell much. The day after Thanksgiving was the best example of this day. So what do retailers who can't stand the thought of employees standing around b*llsh*tting or sitting on boxes for ONE whole day of the year do????...they create a day wher their employees want to kill. They create a day where they practically give stuff away at cost. they infuriate customers by having either limited quantities, long lines , no parking. They basically LOSE MONEY to bring people into the store. They attract the scum of the Earth, the bargain shoppers.....but they have created a Frankenstein's monster. These so-called customers will never be regular shoppers, you see these people only when you are having a sale. These people do not keep you in business. They want to abuse every coupon...every rebate, break every rule to get as much as they can for a little as possible.

It is not just the retailers that are GREEDY, the customers get greedy, selfish and belligerent.

The employees are the foot soldiers caught in the crossfire. We have to work on a day when others get a day off. But. these dopes, who do have the day off go shopping instead of relaxing at home with friends and family. The dopes who run the retail stores cannot seem to fiure out that they really do not make any money selling at ( or below)cost while paying overtime , opening extended hours and causing chaos.

It was better in the old days when people stayed home and enjoyed their time off.

This has become an exercise in futility. The people who get the gadgets and whatever at cheap prices may be happy , but is it worth trading your time? You cannot get time with friends and family back. I have very little close family( so many have died)....but I miss the days when family got together ...this is someting you can't get back. You can't buy that Walmart. The memories last forever and I would not trade them for an i-phone, i-pad , Cd Player , big screen T.V. or a laptop.

It's not worth it. Life is too short. and when you get past 50, you really start to understand this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate the holidays and I have hated them for nearly 25 years or so. The type of retail store I work at is not a large retailer nor is it a place you would expect would be very concerned about holiday shopping , Black Fridays and really much of anything to do with the season. Our big seasons are Spring and Fall. We logically shouldn't bother to participate in these ridiculous sales events that create frenzy, selfishness and very, very LOW MARGINS. But, we do it anyway...why? -Because everyone else does and NOT having a Black Friday sale is certain death for the day after Thanksgiving. Thank goodness our employers have never entertained the thought of opening on Thanksgiving. Our relatively small staf would likely all call in sick....this I am almost sure of.

The bottom line is ,my days of working in retail go back to more innocent times. Times when we accepted the fact that there were some days that you just won'y sell much. The day after Thanksgiving was the best example of this day. So what do retailers who can't stand the thought of employees standing around b*llsh*tting or sitting on boxes for ONE whole day of the year do????...they create a day wher their employees want to kill. They create a day where they practically give stuff away at cost. they infuriate customers by having either limited quantities, long lines , no parking. They basically LOSE MONEY to bring people into the store. They attract the scum of the Earth, the bargain shoppers.....but they have created a Frankenstein's monster. These so-called customers will never be regular shoppers, you see these people only when you are having a sale. These people do not keep you in business. They want to abuse every coupon...every rebate, break every rule to get as much as they can for a little as possible.

It is not just the retailers that are GREEDY, the customers get greedy, selfish and belligerent.

The employees are the foot soldiers caught in the crossfire. We have to work on a day when others get a day off. But. these dopes, who do have the day off go shopping instead of relaxing at home with friends and family. The dopes who run the retail stores cannot seem to fiure out that they really do not make any money selling at ( or below)cost while paying overtime , opening extended hours and causing chaos.

It was better in the old days when people stayed home and enjoyed their time off.

This has become an exercise in futility. The people who get the gadgets and whatever at cheap prices may be happy , but is it worth trading your time? You cannot get time with friends and family back. I have very little close family( so many have died)....but I miss the days when family got together ...this is someting you can't get back. You can't buy that Walmart. The memories last forever and I would not trade them for an i-phone, i-pad , Cd Player , big screen T.V. or a laptop.

It's not worth it. Life is too short. and when you get past 50, you really start to understand this.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, you do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Zillagod...thanks for providing the perspective of the other side of the equation...

It's funny..I happen to think the time with friends and family is far more important than "getting a bargain". All of my friends and family who work in retail felt strongly against the Thanksgiving store openings..so I would take their opinions over the opinions of people who want the "right to shop" on a holiday for whatever reason.

Also..you bring up a great point. When I was younger I worked in retail at a local mall. There was no "black Friday" back then...

Also..the funniest thing is the sales numbers. There was no increase in sales over this Black Friday. Opening on Thanksgiving did not result in an increase in overall sales...just an increase in public spending to add traffic duty cops to malls and shopping plazas in the middle of the night.