Carter: Wilson comment was racist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gabootwo2006. Show gabootwo2006's posts

Carter: Wilson comment was racist

What an idiot Carter is!!! When Joe Wilson said "YOU LIE" it was due over Obama's policies and a dispute over what is in the Health Care Bill. It had nothing to due over the color of Obama's skin.

Here's the article.

Carter: Rep. Wilson comments 'based on racism'

Former President Jimmy Carter is flanked by his wife Rosalynn as he speaks during 'Conversations at the Carter Center' Tuesday. Sept. 15, 2009 in Atlanta. Carter was scheduled to update the audience on current peace and health initiatives the Center is working on. Former President Jimmy Carter is flanked by his wife Rosalynn as he speaks during "Conversations at the Carter Center" Tuesday. Sept. 15, 2009 in Atlanta. Carter was scheduled to update the audience on current peace and health initiatives the Center is working on. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
    By Greg Bluestein Associated Press Writer / September 15, 2009

ATLANTA—Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

COMMENTS (2)
    "I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

The Georgia Democrat said the outburst was a part of a disturbing trend directed at the president that has included demonstrators equating Obama to Nazi leaders.

"Those kind of things are not just casual outcomes of a sincere debate on whether we should have a national program on health care," he said. "It's deeper than that."

Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, was formally rebuked Tuesday in a House vote for shouting "You lie!" during Obama's speech to Congress last Wednesday.

The shout came after the president commented that illegal aliens would be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance. Republicans expressed their disbelief with sounds of disapproval, punctuated by Wilson's outburst.

Tuesday's rebuke was a rare resolution of disapproval pushed through by Democrats who insisted that Wilson had violated basic rules of decorum and civility. Republicans characterized the measure as a witch hunt and Wilson, who had already apologized to Obama, insisted he owed the House no apology.

Wilson's spokesman was not immediately available for comment, but his eldest son defended his father.

"There is not a racist bone in my dad's body," said Alan Wilson, an Iraq veteran who is running for state attorney general. "He doesn't even laugh at distasteful jokes. I won't comment on former President Carter, because I don't know President Carter. But I know my dad, and it's just not in him."

"It's unfortunate people make that jump. People can disagree -- and inappropriately disagree -- on issues of substance, but when they make the jump to race it's absolutely ludicrous. My brothers and I were raised by our parents to respect everyone regardless of background or race."

South Carolina's former Democratic Party chairman said that he doesn't believe Wilson was motivated by racism, but said the outburst encouraged racist views.

"I think Joe's conduct was asinine, but I think it would be asinine no matter what the color of the president," said Dick Harpootlian, who has known Wilson for decades. "I don't think Joe's outburst was caused by President Obama being African-American. I think it was caused by no filter being between his brain and his mouth."

Harpootlian said he received scores of racial e-mails from outside South Carolina after he talked about the vote on Fox News.

"You have a bunch of folks out there looking for some comfort in their racial issues. They have a problem with an African-American president," he said. "But was he motivated by that? I don't think so. I respectfully disagree with President Carter, though it gives validity to racism."

Carter called Wilson's comment "dastardly" and an aftershock of racist views that have permeated American politics for decades.

"The president is not only the head of government, he is the head of state," he said. "And no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect."

------

Associated Press Writer Seanna Adcox in Columbia, S.C., contributed to this report.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist

It wasn't racist.  It was just a blowhard that has chugged so much of his own Kool-aid that he thinks he's too cool for school.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

Carter was right, Wilson would never feel the OK to do this unless he had no respect for the president.

Wilson has a history of supporting racist institutions, i believe his effort was racist due to malicious intent, of which the outburst certainly was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist:
    [QUOTE]Carter was right, Wilson would never feel the OK to do this unless he had no respect for the president. Wilson has a history of supporting racist institutions, i believe his effort was racist due to malicious intent, of which the outburst certainly was.
    Posted by PS911fan[/QUOTE]

So anyone who disagrees with a black man is a racist now??? You're an idiot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natural. Show natural's posts

Come on, a senator from South Carolina you say?

I say we raid his house right now, for slaves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[QUOTE]Carter was right, Wilson would never feel the OK to do this unless he had no respect for the president. Wilson has a history of supporting racist institutions, i believe his effort was racist due to malicious intent, of which the outburst certainly was.
    Posted by PS911fan[/QUOTE]

....and you and Carter have a history of supporting overtly racist policies and institutions but nobody is calling either one of you a racist.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

In Response to Carter: Wilson comment was racist:
    [QUOTE]What an idiot Carter is!!! When Joe Wilson said "YOU LIE" it was due over Obama's policies and a dispute over what is in the Health Care Bill. It had nothing to due over the color of Obama's skin. Here's the article. Carter: Rep. Wilson comments 'based on racism' Former President Jimmy Carter is flanked by his wife Rosalynn as he speaks during "Conversations at the Carter Center" Tuesday. Sept. 15, 2009 in Atlanta. Carter was scheduled to update the audience on current peace and health initiatives the Center is working on. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) By Greg Bluestein Associated Press Writer / September 15, 2009   ATLANTA— Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.   COMMENTS ( 2 ) "I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president." The Georgia Democrat said the outburst was a part of a disturbing trend directed at the president that has included demonstrators equating Obama to Nazi leaders. "Those kind of things are not just casual outcomes of a sincere debate on whether we should have a national program on health care," he said. "It's deeper than that." Wilson, a South Carolina Republican, was formally rebuked Tuesday in a House vote for shouting "You lie!" during Obama's speech to Congress last Wednesday. The shout came after the president commented that illegal aliens would be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance. Republicans expressed their disbelief with sounds of disapproval, punctuated by Wilson's outburst. Tuesday's rebuke was a rare resolution of disapproval pushed through by Democrats who insisted that Wilson had violated basic rules of decorum and civility. Republicans characterized the measure as a witch hunt and Wilson, who had already apologized to Obama, insisted he owed the House no apology. Wilson's spokesman was not immediately available for comment, but his eldest son defended his father. "There is not a racist bone in my dad's body," said Alan Wilson, an Iraq veteran who is running for state attorney general. "He doesn't even laugh at distasteful jokes. I won't comment on former President Carter, because I don't know President Carter. But I know my dad, and it's just not in him." "It's unfortunate people make that jump. People can disagree -- and inappropriately disagree -- on issues of substance, but when they make the jump to race it's absolutely ludicrous. My brothers and I were raised by our parents to respect everyone regardless of background or race." South Carolina's former Democratic Party chairman said that he doesn't believe Wilson was motivated by racism, but said the outburst encouraged racist views. "I think Joe's conduct was asinine, but I think it would be asinine no matter what the color of the president," said Dick Harpootlian, who has known Wilson for decades. "I don't think Joe's outburst was caused by President Obama being African-American. I think it was caused by no filter being between his brain and his mouth." Harpootlian said he received scores of racial e-mails from outside South Carolina after he talked about the vote on Fox News. "You have a bunch of folks out there looking for some comfort in their racial issues. They have a problem with an African-American president," he said. "But was he motivated by that? I don't think so. I respectfully disagree with President Carter, though it gives validity to racism." Carter called Wilson's comment "dastardly" and an aftershock of racist views that have permeated American politics for decades. "The president is not only the head of government, he is the head of state," he said. "And no matter who he is or how much we disagree with his policies, the president should be treated with respect." ------ Associated Press Writer Seanna Adcox in Columbia, S.C., contributed to this report.
    Posted by gabootwo2006[/QUOTE]

Maureen Dowd wrote a bit about this the other day.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/opinion/13dowd.html?_r=1&em
       I don't often agree with Modo, but I think there is no doubt an essence of truth about this. I can't remember now but some Republican last week said Obama needed to come to the House and be "humble" when giving his joint speech. Can't ever remember another President being warned that he needed to be "humble". The "boy" was the only thing missing at the end of the sentence.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Carter was only half-right, but the thread title is misleading.  That's not what Jimmah said.  He said it's part of an overall sense in the country that is based on the president's race.  He said "mostly", while I would argue it's only "partly", but it's there nonetheless, and only the blind don't see it.

Wilson's comment was not racist, but it was ignorant and extremely rude, part of a base disrespect of the president and his policies.  That his comment may have fomented existing or simmering racist tendencies is not his fault.  That his comment may have contributed to the general debasement of the office of the presidency (which has been going on for quite some time) IS his fault, and he should have known better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Carter: Wilson comment was racist :     Maureen Dowd wrote a bit about this the other day. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/opinion/13dowd.html?_r=1&em    I don't often agree with Modo, but I think there is no doubt an essence of truth about this. I can't remember now but some Republican last week said Obama needed to come to the House and be "humble" when giving his joint speech. Can't ever remember another President being warned that he needed to be "humble". The "boy" was the only thing missing at the end of the sentence.
    Posted by kmatthew68[/QUOTE]

You can't remember now huh??? LOL....how convenient.

Bush was blasted time and again for being arrogant yet if someone dare says Obama should be humble then it MUST be racist. Unbelievable. It's going to be four years of the race card isn't it???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist : You can't remember now huh??? LOL....how convenient. Bush was blasted time and again for being arrogant yet if someone dare says Obama should be humble then it MUST be racist. Unbelievable. It's going to be four years of the race card isn't it???
    Posted by dexter67[/QUOTE]

Right Dex, because I can't remember at the moment, I must be making it up. Right? Except I wasn't. He actually said Obama has to show "humility". It was Saxy Chambliss. Wow, he's from the South, what do you know.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2166492-chambliss-obama-must-show-humility-in-speech-to-congress

I do love the little game Conservatives play though. Conservatives are allowed to make overtly racist statements, but that's not playing "the Race card", but if you point it out, that is playing "the race card". Funny how that works. No wonder the Republicans are a dying party.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist :   Right Dex, because I can't remember at the moment, I must be making it up. Right? Except I wasn't. He actually said Obama has to show "humility". It was Saxy Chambliss. Wow, he's from the South, what do you know.   http://vodpod.com/watch/2166492-chambliss-obama-must-show-humility-in-speech-to-congress    I do love the little game Conservatives play though. Conservatives are allowed to make overtly racist statements, but that's not playing "the Race card", but if you point it out, that is playing "the race card". Funny how that works. No wonder the Republicans are a dying party.

Since when did asking someone to show "humility" come to be racist? How is that remotely racist? What might be easier is if you give us a list of words that you DON'T deem racist as that will in all likelihood be a much smaller list. Thanks in advance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

We are not a racist nation.  Not even close.  Obama is facing strong opposition and criticism because he is a radical, not because he has diffent skin pigmentation.

Wilson and others are outraged because Obama is bankrupting us, is putting us and our soldiers in harms way, is sympathetic to our enemies and indifferent to our allies.  He LOVES big government, centralized power, high taxes and wealth redistribution.  He despises our military, hates private industry, dislikes capitalism and prefers the UN over our own Constitution.

THIS is why he is so vehemently and passionately opposed.  It has nothing to do with his skin color.

Dems have three responses to those who disagree with them. 1. You are stupid. 2 It's Bush's fault.  3. You are a racist.

If we were a nation of racists, Obama would still be a community organizer for ACORN.  Instead, the people of this nation have made him the most powerful man on the planet.

The evidence is in and I am siding with the majority of the American people.  Obama and the Dems need to be fired before they do anymore damage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

well said. good summary of this clown.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]We are not a racist nation.  Not even close.  Obama is facing strong opposition and criticism because he is a radical, not because he has diffent skin pigmentation. Wilson and others are outraged because Obama is bankrupting us, is putting us and our soldiers in harms way, is sympathetic to our enemies and indifferent to our allies.  He LOVES big government, centralized power, high taxes and wealth redistribution.  He despises our military, hates private industry, dislikes capitalism and prefers the UN over our own Constitution. THIS is why he is so vehemently and passionately opposed.  It has nothing to do with his skin color. Dems have three responses to those who disagree with them. 1. You are stupid. 2 It's Bush's fault.  3. You are a racist. If we were a nation of racists, Obama would still be a community organizer for ACORN.  Instead, the people of this nation have made him the most powerful man on the planet. The evidence is in and I am siding with the majority of the American people.  Obama and the Dems need to be fired before they do anymore damage.
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

You're wrong, mac.  While we may not be a "racist nation", racism does indeed exist in our society.  It might be uncomfortable for you and others to accept, but it's a fact.  It may or may not be as prevalent as Jimmy says (I don't think so.), but it doesn't mean that it's not there.

And while most opponents of Obama are opposed to his policies, there are some people who are opposed to the man at core because of the color of his skin.  Your idle ramblings/complaints are part and parcel of the minority opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: And while most opponents of Obama are opposed to his policies, there are some people who are opposed to the man at core because of the color of his skin.  Your idle ramblings/complaints are part and parcel of the minority opinion.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Sadly it's true. Just like there were those who were opposed to McCain because of the color of his skin. But we already knew this didn't we? This isn't news. It's sad, but it's hardly a revelation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

[QUOTE]We are not a racist nation.  Not even close.  Obama is facing strong opposition and criticism because he is a radical, not because he has diffent skin pigmentation. Wilson and others are outraged because Obama is bankrupting us, is putting us and our soldiers in harms way, is sympathetic to our enemies and indifferent to our allies.  He LOVES big government, centralized power, high taxes and wealth redistribution.  He despises our military, hates private industry, dislikes capitalism and prefers the UN over our own Constitution. THIS is why he is so vehemently and passionately opposed.  It has nothing to do with his skin color. Dems have three responses to those who disagree with them. 1. You are stupid. 2 It's Bush's fault.  3. You are a racist. If we were a nation of racists, Obama would still be a community organizer for ACORN.  Instead, the people of this nation have made him the most powerful man on the planet. The evidence is in and I am siding with the majority of the American people.  Obama and the Dems need to be fired before they do anymore damage.
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

New poll out this morning by Public Policy Group.

18% of self-identified conservatives affirmatively say that Obama is the anti-Christ, with 17% not sure. Among the self-identified Republican label, it's 14% who say Obama has the number 666 hidden underneath his hair, plus 15% who aren't sure.

A third of Republicans say Obama was born outside this country.

I'm sure Racism has nothing to do with these results.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist : Sadly it's true. Just like there were those who were opposed to McCain because of the color of his skin. But we already knew this didn't we? This isn't news. It's sad, but it's hardly a revelation.

I agree. For the first time in my life time a non-party voting block voted 97% for one candidate. But that isn't racism.

Matty, is there racism in the US? Yes. Are there black racists? Yes. People like you and Jimmah bring the level of discourse to the gutter when you make the claims that anyone who opposes a black president is racist. Are the black Republican/independent/unenrolled racist too?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist : You're wrong, mac.  While we may not be a "racist nation", racism does indeed exist in our society.  It might be uncomfortable for you and others to accept, but it's a fact.  It may or may not be as prevalent as Jimmy says (I don't think so.), but it doesn't mean that it's not there. And while most opponents of Obama are opposed to his policies, there are some people who are opposed to the man at core because of the color of his skin.  Your idle ramblings/complaints are part and parcel of the minority opinion.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I agree it does exist. Not justifying it but it may always exist.

More to the unspoken point.. Has racism increased, decreased or remained the same since the campaign.... and WHY?
    Is the change real or perceived?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Its time for Jimmy Carter to just go away.  He was a one term mistake and result of the public being completely po'd at Nixon, Ford pardon and GOP in general. Kind of like our current scenario with Obama.

Wilson's remark wasn't racist and the Dem's can't play the R word everytime someone disagrees with Obama.  Wilson was correct but stupid as you don't yell out like that when the president is speaking to Congress.  The House was right to rebuke him.  Right message just the wrong time and location.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist :   New poll out this morning by Public Policy Group. 18% of self-identified conservatives affirmatively say that Obama is the anti-Christ, with 17% not sure. Among the self-identified Republican label, it's 14% who say Obama has the number 666 hidden underneath his hair, plus 15% who aren't sure. A third of Republicans say Obama was born outside this country.    I'm sure Racism has nothing to do with these results.

I'm sure intelligence has nothing to do with you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ohhhhh-Bammy. Show Ohhhhh-Bammy's posts

[QUOTE]Its time for Jimmy Carter to just go away.  He was a one term mistake and result of the public being completely po'd at Nixon, Ford pardon and GOP in general. Kind of like our current scenario with Obama. Wilson's remark wasn't racist and the Dem's can't play the R word everytime someone disagrees with Obama.  Wilson was correct but stupid as you don't yell out like that when the president is speaking to Congress.  The House was right to rebuke him.  Right message just the wrong time and location.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

agree on all counts.
    Appears the House is working on tightening up the rules on what members of Congress can and cannot say.

A little unconstitutional you think?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMedford. Show GreginMedford's posts

Wilson was stupid, disrespectful, an a-hole, jerk and fool.

But racist???

Godwin needs to update his law for 21st century liberals

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmatthew68. Show kmatthew68's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist : I'm sure intelligence has nothing to do with you.

It just KILLS you that I'm right, doesn't it. I constantly demonstrate with evidence to make my points, and it just kills you. I must be very discouraging to your world view.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dexter67. Show dexter67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Carter: Wilson comment was racist :   It just KILLS you that I'm right, doesn't it. I constantly demonstrate with evidence to make my points, and it just kills you. I must be very discouraging to your world view.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha...If by "evidence" you mean made up lies then I guess you've got a ton of it. Carry on

Sections
Shortcuts