CNN: "Hopes of 'Gitmo' closing dim"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

CNN: "Hopes of 'Gitmo' closing dim"

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/29/state-department-shutters-gitmo-office/?iref=allsearch  State run media CNN,  taking sides as usual, is oh so hopeful that Gitmo might close...their liberal hopes are fading.

In a slobbering Steve Kroft interview on 60 minutes in November 2008 (some things never change) , Kroft asked Obama if he planned to "take early action" to shut down Guantanamo. Obama replied, "Yes."

"I have said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that," he said.

After three and a half years as president, Obama has not done so.

Another rock solid Obama campaign promise broken...   Dont give up yet, CNN..

"Officials insist the administration still is intent on closing it.'

Two ideas...

1) send a drone missile to Gitmo .. The evil Bush was a war criminal to libs for using drones...but President Obama after getting the Nobel Peace Prize, gets a menu list every day and decides who gets a visit from Mr Drone Missile...Blow up the terrorists in prison!...Not so bad..they had enough due process,  being arrested and having lawyers and all..  

2) President Obama can issue an executive "signing statement" indicating his executive power to close Gitmo. A "two broken campaign promises in one" double dip!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Re: CNN:

So, to our Virginian: Should it be closed?

It should be closed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Obama promised he would close Gitmo.....is he the President or not???

At least we can sleep at night knowing Obama got rid of the Patriot Act......

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The office that was set up to facilitate the closing of Gitmo has closed!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

The conservatives wanted gitmo open.

Then they slam Obama for failing to close it.

Ah, conservative "morality" ....    

So bring it up that Obama stated "I will close Gitmo with in my first year of office" is slamming Obama?

Or pointing out his condemnation of the patriot act under Bush then expanding it is "slamming Obama"

oh ok so anything critical of Obama is wrong. gotcha

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

This is indeed terrible.

I can honestly say this is one of my biggest disappointments with the Obama Admin.  They should have pushed harder to close Gitmo and much harder to try terrorism suspects in the U.S., in New York City, the way it should have been done  The current hearings with KSM reek of untoward CIA interference with the judicial/tribunal process.

On this, I'm on the conservative side (albeit not with the grave-dancing, torture-loving, sadistic side).  Not ending the disgraceful legacy of Gitmo is a severe lack of leadership and a serious blow to the rule of law.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Wrong again, angryman.

Candidate Obama took the view of the Far Left that Gitmo was illegal and unconstitutional...his promise to close it was a lie, because Obama when elected continued the Bush war against terror. Killing Bin Laden was his triumph..but in reality it was Bush's policies that led to success..

Far Leftist Glen Greenwald:

"Now, here we are, almost four years after the vow to close Guantanamo was enshrined in an Executive Order, and the rights of detainees — including the basic right to legal counsel — are being constricted further, in plainly vindictive ways. Conditions at Guantanamo are undoubtedly better than they were in 2003, and some of the deficiencies in military commissions (for the few who appear before them) have been redressed. But the real stain of Guantanamo — keeping people locked up in cages for years with no charges — endures. And contrary to the blatant myth propagated by Obama defenders, that has happened not because Obama tried but failed to eliminate it, but precisely because he embraced it as his own policy from the start."

Long before, and fully independent of, anything Congress did, President Obama made clear that he was going to preserve the indefinite detention system at Guantanamo even once he closed the camp. President Obama fully embraced indefinite detention — the defining injustice of Guantanamo — as his own policy.

In February, 2009, the Obama DOJ told an appellate court it was embracing the Bush DOJ’s theory that Bagram detainees have no legal rights whatsoever, an announcement that shocked the judges on the panel hearing the case. In May, 2009, President Obama delivered a speech at the National Archives — in front of the U.S. Constitution — and, as his plan for closing Guantanamo, proposed a system of preventative “prolonged detention” without trial inside the U.S.; The New York Times – in an article headlined “President’s Detention Plan Tests American Legal Tradition” – said Obama’s plan “would be a departure from the way this country sees itself, as a place where people in the grip of the government either face criminal charges or walk free.” In January, 2010, the Obama administration announced it would continue to imprison several dozen Guantanamo detainees without any charges or trials of any kind, including even a military commission, on the ground that they were “too difficult to prosecute but too dangerous to release.” That was all Obama’s doing, completely independent of anything Congress did.

When the President finally unveiled his plan for “closing Guantanamo,” it became clear that it wasn’t a plan to “close” the camp as much as it was a plan simply to re-locate it — import it — onto American soil.

Sections
Shortcuts