Colin Powell Endorsed Barack Obama!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Just sit back and watch the Powell feeding frenzy begin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Powell certainly hates Bush more than he hates McCain. John Kerry was certainly more qualified and a better choice than Obama.

Why endorse Obama but not Kerry, Secretary Powell???

I like Powell, if he was running I would have voted for him. However, endorsing a guy with whom you have only ONE thing in common doesn't really makes sense.

I think his endorsement will ring hollow. Kind of like Oprah's endorsement.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

From one true patriot to another...a sage American hero to a nascent one...a character witness...

...and a rhetorical beatdown of the GOP en masse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctx126. Show ctx126's posts

The Republican party should change it's name to the Christian Party of the United States since it so bent on legislating morality to me.

Go Obama!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Rush said it best:

"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," Limbaugh wrote in an e-mail. "OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pymus. Show Pymus's posts

[Quote]Powell certainly hates Bush more than he hates McCain. John Kerry was certainly more qualified and a better choice than Obama.

Why endorse Obama but not Kerry, Secretary Powell???

I like Powell, if he was running I would have voted for him. However, endorsing a guy with whom you have only ONE thing in common doesn't really makes sense.

I think his endorsement will ring hollow. Kind of like Oprah's endorsement.[/Quote]

Excellent call out MAC. So Powel feels the need to back Barak Obama but hid under his desk in 2004. I guess all you can dedusct from this is that at the end of the day its all about race!

Thanks Colin - Obama - you can have him!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcgons19. Show mcgons19's posts

[Quote]Just sit back and watch the Powell feeding frenzy begin.[/Quote]

So predicatable. And gotta love who's playing the "race card" now, after hollowly throwing the accusation around for months. Pathetic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

Yeah...what a frenzy it's been....just crazy man....LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PS911fan. Show PS911fan's posts

It already started .....check out freerepublic and redstate.org......these people jumped off the min Powell said Obama.

It matters little to ne because Powell is trying do do his mea culpa for his Bush lies

True ndpendents look at this as a positive so that is one place this will be helpful.....(no one on this board is a true independent btw...so their comments are at least flimsy)

Obama only needs to split the independents to win handily.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[Quote]

Yeah...what a frenzy it's been....just crazy man....LOL[/Quote]

Yep, you republicans are funny. Not LOL funny, but crazy funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecafsc. Show ecafsc's posts

[Quote]

Yep, you republicans are funny. Not LOL funny, but crazy funny.[/Quote]

So you got nothing so you resort to put-downs. That seems about right. Good job. Isn't there a plumber you should be trying to discredit??? LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

There's not going to be much room left under the bus with all of the conservatives/GOPers getting thrown under there for endorsing Obama.

Powell made his case for Obama in clear, decisive terms as an elder American statesman and as a seasoned veteran of Washington; it was almost a-political in tone and demeanor.

One may have issues with the logic presented by Powell, and one could certainly make their own case against those points. However, by impinging upon Gen. Powell's character, it says much more about the critic than of Powell himself. But the charges of "race card", RINO, or "liberal republican" only serve to dishonor a man who has served his country faithfully and unfailingly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookie-rojas. Show cookie-rojas's posts

Sieg Heil!
    You'll be sorry..........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Only a true "Bitter-ender" Republican cannot accept that Powell's decision was a well thought out response to what he perceived as the needs of the country. It pretty much puts to rest the experience argument on Obama and also was a direct challenge to the smear campaign of the Republicans and the overall judgment of McCain. It is end game when such a well respected public servant of the opposition switches his allegiance for the "good of the country".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]
    Sieg Heil!
    You'll be sorry..........
    [/Quote]

I already am...at having to read scum like this....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[Quote]Only a true "Bitter-ender" Republican cannot accept that Powell's decision was a well thought out response to what he perceived as the needs of the country. It pretty much puts to rest the experience argument on Obama and also was a direct challenge to the smear campaign of the Republicans and the overall judgment of McCain. It is end game when such a well respected public servant of the opposition switches his allegiance for the "good of the country".[/Quote]

I wonder why so late and why he will not campaign with Obama?

He will be an advisor but, not good enough for the VP position?

Funny how that works.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo. Show TheArtist-formerly-known-as-Boo's posts

I still have great respect for the man, but disagree with his choice. But two things weigh heavily I am sure, being lied to by Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld and their shared race. I also heard Secretary Powell state that withdrawing troops in Iraq at this point on a political timeline is stupid. So the man endorses a candidate that he only half a agrees with. But in the end, who cares either way. Would have been a positive for McCain, maybe a tiny positive for Obama, but not incredibly relevant overall.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[Quote]I still have great respect for the man, but disagree with his choice. But two things weigh heavily I am sure, being lied to by Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld and their shared race. I also heard Secretary Powell state that withdrawing troops in Iraq at this point on a political timeline is stupid. So the man endorses a candidate that he only half a agrees with. But in the end, who cares either way. Would have been a positive for McCain, maybe a tiny positive for Obama, but not incredibly relevant overall. [/Quote]

Not relevant? The equivalent would be if Al Gore or Teddy Kennedy endorsed McCain. It is a major kick in the teeth of the McCain candidacy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyG. Show MattyG's posts

Powell's endorsement was a complete rejection of the current GOP. He even said he was concerned about "conservative judges", which is a huge issue for social conservatives. I wouldn't be stunned if he had a formal role (DoD?) in an Obama admin.

In 2004, Powell was Bush's top diplomat. There was no way he would have broken from him to support Kerry while serving W.

This might be the final blow to McCain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

The only surprise is what took so long. Lieberman the former Demcoratic VP Candidate had the guts to endorse McCain when he was being written off and it had a positive impact to his campaign. Obama has the lead and now Powell endorses him, it sounds like a non-story now.

Joe the Plumber is more of a game changer at this stage than Colin Powell, a man who I've always had great respect for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

[Quote]mac-

Rush? The guy who says feminism is a plot by ugly women to garner the attention that pretty women get (ya, I heard him say it again just a couple of days ago....he never shuts his fat face).

Great source.

You are officially irrelevent.[/Quote]

I'm not a big Rush guy but he made a very good point. Powell is not being consistant His endorsement makes no sense.

I'm expecting Obama will become President. Too many forces are in his favor. It's unforatunate and may take decades to undo the damage he will do. Bush/Obama will likely be the worst 12 years of service the federal government has ever graced us with.

Perhaps it's time to hire a President using the same guidleines that a multi-national corporation would use to hire a new CEO. The job is important enough. In that case, neither of Obama nor McCain EVER would have even gotten an interview. It's sad that the American people have such low standards when it comes to hiring a new President.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[Quote]I still have great respect for the man, but disagree with his choice. But two things weigh heavily I am sure, being lied to by Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld and their shared race. I also heard Secretary Powell state that withdrawing troops in Iraq at this point on a political timeline is stupid. So the man endorses a candidate that he only half a agrees with. But in the end, who cares either way. Would have been a positive for McCain, maybe a tiny positive for Obama, but not incredibly relevant overall. [/Quote]

So he did it as a grudge against Bush/Cheney/Rummy and because he identifies with Obama's half-black ancestry?? Hmmm...not much to go on there, Boo. Again, you may disagree with specific points that Powell made, but you slander the man by reducing his obviously lengthy thought process to simplistic personal bias.

Generally speaking, Powell has never been a political animal. (Most generals are not.) He didn't have to endorse anyone, much less support one candidate over another on national TV. And yet he came out strongly against his admitted friend and even more strongly FOR a man he's known for only a few years.

And in general, I agree with you that the endorsement itself is not all that relevant and probably will not impact the election that much. It's just another celebrity endorsement for Obama, etc. But I think the argument set forth and the reasons therein will have lasting relevance to the direction of the GOP - a direction that Gen. Powell is rather unwilling to follow.

Sections
Shortcuts