Colin Powell on Meet the Press

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Colin Powell on Meet the Press

I haven't watched Meet the Press in a while..but a friend of mine steered me to the clip of Colin Powell's appearance on MTP this past Sunday.

I have to say..I have always been a fan of Powell and had the utmost respect for him. He has spoken out in the past about his concern over the direction the Republican party was taking . This past Sunday however, he was more direct and more emphatic than I have heard him be. Much of what he said can be traced back to the simple truth that the GOP has been taken over by a small...but loud..fringe. The leadership of the party has ceased to be effective. We only have to look at the "fiscal cliff" debacle to understand that John Boehner is simply not up to the task..yet he is once again House leader.

Listening to Powell made me long for the Republican party that I grew up in..the one I was proud to be part of up until 5 years ago. Today's Republican party bears little resemblance to the party of ten years ago....really..even 5 years ago. I believe Powell is right about one fundamental fact. Unless the GOP really begins a process of re-evaluation they will cease to be a player in Presidential politics.

No doubt the Democratic party is very..very..far from perfect and has their own set of issues..but I believe that Powell is right. The GOP is in a serious situation that only they can fix.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Colin Powell on Meet the Press

WSJ: Colin Powell thinks Chuck Hagel's use of the term "Jewish lobby" was an innocent mistake, for which he should atone by writing "Israel lobby" 100 times on a blackboard. "That term slips out from time to time," the former secretary of state told David Gregory on Sunday's "Meet the Press." Mr. Powell also thinks that when Mr. Hagel's critics "go over the edge and say because Chuck said 'Jewish lobby,' he is anti-Semitic, that's disgraceful. We shouldn't have that kind of language in our dialogue."

OK, I get it. An errant slip of the tongue isn't proof of prejudice. We have all said things the offensiveness of which we perhaps didn't fully appreciate when we opened our mouth.

On this business of hypersensitivity to prejudicial remarks, real or perceived, here is Mr. Powell in the same interview talking about what ails the Republican Party: "There's also a dark vein of intolerance in some parts of the party. What do I mean by that? I mean by that is they still sort of look down on minorities. How can I evidence that? When I see a former governor [Alaska's Sarah Palin] say that the president is shuckin' and jivin,' that's a racial-era slave term. When I see another former governor [New Hampshire's John Sununu] say after the president's first debate when he didn't do well, he said he was lazy. Now it may not mean anything to most Americans but to those of us who are African-Americans, the second word is shiftless and then there's a third word that goes along with it." So let's get this straight.

Mr. Powell holds it "disgraceful" to allege anti-Semitism of politicians who invidiously use the phrase "the Jewish lobby." But he has no qualms about accusing Mr. Sununu—along whose side he worked during the George H.W. Bush administration—of all-but whispering the infamous N-word when he called Mr. Obama's first debate performance "lazy." It's hard to decide whether Mr. Powell is using a double standard hypocritically or inadvertently. I'll assume the latter, since he seems to have missed the reason why Mr. Hagel's nomination to be secretary of defense has run into so much opposition....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: Colin Powell on Meet the Press

The G.O.P. misses the "Evil Empire" of the Soviet Union to rally its forces against.  Too many now look for a similar enemy within the country in the forces of liberalism.  Some of the more pronounced idiots see no difference between liberals and totalitarians. And the G.O.P.'s policies often marginalize women, minorities and the middle class (despite the coming demographics). The overall result is nothing good, for the G.O.P. in particular and our democracy in general.   

And yes, I too was a member of the G.O.P until about ten years ago.

4. This post has been removed.