Colorado approves a 25% tax on pot!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Colorado approves a 25% tax on pot!

Wait until the revenue numbers start rolling in.

This (greed) will leads to state legislatures pushing for legalizing pot in many states!!

Good or bad, it's all about money in the good ole USA govt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: Colorado approves a 25% tax on pot!

I have no problem with the tax.  Its the price of weed that needs to come down to earth, which is driven by the "illegal factor"

As a comparison:  Today, Bloomberg lists the commodity price of Coffee at $102/lb. That translates to $6.40 per ounce, for a product largely produced overseas with a huge amount of manual labor.

Retail prices for better marijuana are in the neighborhood of ~$400 an ounce on the current black market.  (I'd say that an ounce of marijuana is kind of like a case of whisky in terms of equivalent servings....ie it goes a long way)

Can anyone tell me why marijuana -- even good marijuana -- can't be produced at a wholesale cost at least approaching coffee? Even at a factor of 4x the price of coffee per pound, the retail ounce price without taxes should be under $75, leaving a generous margin for taxation. It would leave the common retail quantity, the quarter ounce, selling for about $30, roughly the price of a decent bottle of whisky or good wine.

Someday maybe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

As long as we can make it legal I don't give a s h i t  what pot costs or if they tax the s h i t out of it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have no problem with the tax.  Its the price of weed that needs to come down to earth, which is driven by the "illegal factor"

As a comparison:  Today, Bloomberg lists the commodity price of Coffee at $102/lb. That translates to $6.40 per ounce, for a product largely produced overseas with a huge amount of manual labor.

Retail prices for better marijuana are in the neighborhood of ~$400 an ounce on the current black market.  (I'd say that an ounce of marijuana is kind of like a case of whisky in terms of equivalent servings....ie it goes a long way)

Can anyone tell me why marijuana -- even good marijuana -- can't be produced at a wholesale cost at least approaching coffee? Even at a factor of 4x the price of coffee per pound, the retail ounce price without taxes should be under $75, leaving a generous margin for taxation. It would leave the common retail quantity, the quarter ounce, selling for about $30, roughly the price of a decent bottle of whisky or good wine.

Someday maybe.

[/QUOTE]

I think it will be a tremendous revenue generator on a consumable! If you do not want to pay the tax, dont buy any!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it will be a tremendous revenue generator on a consumable! If you do not want to pay the tax, dont buy any!

[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that's largely (entirely) besides his point, which is simply that the price may reasonably be expected to fall on an open legalized market given his view of productions costs.

Though, one might counter with Amsterdam, where you might find yourself paying 6-12 eur/g. in many coffee shops; I suppose that if they're doing it all in tanks or fancy indoor set-ups, there is more equipment/energy costs.

And of course...    producers sell what people are willing to pay. If they're already used to higher prices, they may find it more convenient to silently agree not to engage in any price wars.

Either way, it would generate a good amount of tax revenue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

largely (entirely) beside the point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Next thing you know the pot heads will be joining the tea party which will cause mass confusion everywhere.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

FWIW, Uruguay has voted to legalize marijuana completely with a goal of selling it at about $1 per gram.  The reason it will be so cheap is because the whole process from cultivation to sale will be controlled by the govt.

I'm not at all suggesting the US take the same route re: total control of production, but it seems that all of these initiatives are proceeding only with implicit, tight regulations in mind.

However, I am wondering how far some states will go to either tighten or loosen the grip on their state-wide markets as legalization is more broadly implemented.  One need only look at the state liquor stores in places like NH to get an idea of where this might go.

In the end, I'm all for it.  Every piece taken out of the failed 'war on drugs' is a good thing, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FWIW, Uruguay has voted to legalize marijuana completely with a goal of selling it at about $1 per gram.  The reason it will be so cheap is because the whole process from cultivation to sale will be controlled by the govt.

I'm not at all suggesting the US take the same route re: total control of production, but it seems that all of these initiatives are proceeding only with implicit, tight regulations in mind.

However, I am wondering how far some states will go to either tighten or loosen the grip on their state-wide markets as legalization is more broadly implemented.  One need only look at the state liquor stores in places like NH to get an idea of where this might go.

In the end, I'm all for it.  Every piece taken out of the failed 'war on drugs' is a good thing, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also think every piece taken out of the failed "govt is the answer" is good too. IMO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Someday maybe.

[/QUOTE]

I enjoy watching highly controlling progressives switch to a libertarian view when their pot smoking is involved.

Now, here is your homework for the day:  Extend your libertairian view to your healthcare.

I'll leave it there for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the best reality for both sides of the debate on pot.

If you support legalizing pot then you got your wish. it's legal.

If you are against legalization then this 'sin tax' allows for revenues to pay for education programs just as the cigarette tax was supposed to do.

[/QUOTE]

Glad you realize that sin taxes to convince people not to sin is a stupid idea, and only ends up with more government patronage.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

I guess you are not going to think it through. 

So, I will continue.

What you find so compelling about the free market with pot, you should feel the same about your health care.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

So, I will continue.

What you find so compelling about the free market with pot, you should feel the same about your health care.

[/QUOTE]

Sure....beacuse healthcare is just like pot. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

largely (entirely) beside the point.

[/QUOTE]

Are you ret@rded, or just being a stupid b!tch for a reaction?

Your OP was about the tax revenue, Einstein.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also think every piece taken out of the failed "govt is the answer" is good too. IMO

[/QUOTE]

So, you want a free-for-all open market on producing and selling pot?  Radical...!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

So, I will continue.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you overlook Puff the Magic

http://www.rockpublishing.com/HealthDragon_6040_Cov.jpg

They're both related to dragons. Skeeter's a clever one, you see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Someday maybe.

[/QUOTE]

I enjoy watching highly controlling progressives switch to a libertarian view when their pot smoking is involved.

Now, here is your homework for the day:  Extend your libertairian view to your healthcare.

[/QUOTE]

When govt bans healthcare, you might have a point.  Until then, not so much.

Hey wait...some groups and state govts are trying to ban health care services...specifically abortions.

So, your position of "get govt out of healthcare" extends naturally to "get govt out of abortions".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you always so emotional or is it just that time of month again?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you always so emotional or is it just that time of month again?

[/QUOTE]

Little bit of both

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

So, I will continue.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is your answer supposed to sound as stupid as it does?  Wait until the food nazis in government become the pot nazis and shut you off.

Look, you are all atwitter about the how the free market will reduce the cost of your pot.

Why wouldn't you want to do the same with your healthcare, which you claim to want so much, why would n't you want to lower the cost and increase your choices?

I am really amazed that you don't see in your argument about pot, the inherent draw to the free market, as supporting a view that the free market is a superior system for optimizing pricing and distirubtion for everything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

So, I will continue.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sir, you overlook Puff the Magic

http://www.rockpublishing.com/HealthDragon_6040_Cov.jpg

They're both related to dragons. Skeeter's a clever one, you see.

[/QUOTE]

That's good!

artwork, that is.

GO FREE MARKET!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Seems the answer is both, as to tvoter and his brave tagalong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thank-you

[/QUOTE]

So, I will continue.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

is your answer supposed to sound as stupid as it does?  Wait until the food nazis in government become the pot nazis and shut you off.

Look, you are all atwitter about the how the free market will reduce the cost of your pot.

Why wouldn't you want to do the same with your healthcare, which you claim to want so much, why would n't you want to lower the cost and increase your choices?

I am really amazed that you don't see in your argument about pot, the inherent draw to the free market, as supporting a view that the free market is a superior system for optimizing pricing and distirubtion for everything.

[/QUOTE]

You are delusional.  The free market has been a disaster for healthcare......unless you're wealthy and healthy.

Capitalism is like fire......if regulated and watched it will nicely heat your home and cook your meals.  Left alone (like your idea of free markets) it will burn your house down and kill you.

Sections
Shortcuts