Compromise in Washington??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Compromise in Washington??

Could it be that we are finally going to see a bipartisan immigration bill coming out of Congress? Although this falls under "I'll believe it when I see it" category..I have to say if true it would definitely be promising and long overdue.

From what I've read, it looks to be pretty fair..a path to citizenship but no cutting in line..and enforcement benchmarks that must be met before any of this kicks in.

One thing that seems to be missing from the bill is stronger workplace enforcement...stricter penalties for businesses and industries that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Possibly..it will go by the wayside like most legislation..but I still have barely enough optimism that when I hear the possibility of anything bipartisan..I am encouraged.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

Re: Compromise in Washington??

In response to miscricket's comment:

Could it be that we are finally going to see a bipartisan immigration bill coming out of Congress? Although this falls under "I'll believe it when I see it" category..I have to say if true it would definitely be promising and long overdue.

From what I've read, it looks to be pretty fair..a path to citizenship but no cutting in line..and enforcement benchmarks that must be met before any of this kicks in.

One thing that seems to be missing from the bill is stronger workplace enforcement...stricter penalties for businesses and industries that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Possibly..it will go by the wayside like most legislation..but I still have barely enough optimism that when I hear the possibility of anything bipartisan..I am encouraged.

It is encouraging. The GOP really has no choice. They have to start making deals. And many of these ideas were rejected by them in the past. Still, I think the GOP has a long way to go in regaining the trust of the American public.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

This would be a good thing.  But House republicans may not get it.

But I would suggest that the republicans, who are trying to be "bipartisan" in their way, may be laboring under the illusion that if they only do this, everything else will fall into place with Hispanics.  A false premise.  It rests, as an example, on premises such as that The Church equals Catholics, and that that's the party's path to reconciliation with them (at heart, they're republicans).  Which was one of the republicans' mistakes in the campaign, on the national stage and on this board: Catholics must be against birth control per their spokesmen, The Church.  And social welfare should be left to The Church.

All said, I come down right about where miscricket does here.

And, while here, OT, I'll just take the opportunity to suggest again that the party's path to reconciliation with Hispanics is through Sen. Rubio.  He's your salvation more than even your bipartisans can admit.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Well, it's clear that one is still kicking and screaming. 

Suggestion:  Insert "Chinese", "Jews", "Irish", "Italians" or their pejoratives in relevant spots in your post, and you can go back and back and back in our history and apply it, even if you heavily bear such a name.  And for every instance, you would probably put together a winning "I told you so", or at least something all in caps for how things have turned out. 

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts