Congratulation ..... Senator Ed Markey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: Congratulation ..... Senator Ed Markey

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

The last fresh idea Grandpa Ed Markey had was in 1974...

Whitey Bulger is smiling, his Democratic Irish Mafia Gang is still in charge of the crooked Bay State.

CLC,

Gee, are you being an "ageist"? Markey@67 vs. Gomez@47? 

Assuming you are not ready to retire at 67 BUT you are told your position is no longer available, Grandpa. 

But, before you leave, you have to train your replacement to boot in a private sector job.

You are not ready to retire because...pick one or more reasons. Your finances are not strong enough, you love your job and enjoy your co-workers, work is a 2nd home for you, you know many people go straight downhill when they retire (men more then women), etc...

Gomez could not even be gracious about his 55/45 loss. Blamed it mostly on the money differential.

Well voter turnout was at a record low. Just 27%. A lot of reasons for that but when Brown beat Coakly in that special election, voter turnout was 54%.

Gomez is no Brown. He had plenty of money to work with. He could not excite the electorate like Brown did the 1st time. Of course Brown was defeated by Warren in the general but voter turnout was there.

And, the same name calling/ageism existed. Granny Warren. She was 62 at the time to his 52.

We are all getting older. Nobody gets out of life alive. Most of us are private citizens. We do not want to be treated as if we are less valuable because we are older then the next person in any setting. 

Dislike the results but not because of the age of the winner. At 47 Gomez is no spring chicken either. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

67 is not the issue.  Its 37.

Greg I believe in term limits for politicians and judges but until there is term limits I'm voting for the person who imo will do the best job ....... now if Gomez gave the slightest impression that he was the up to the task of being a U.S.senator where I might not have voted for him  a majority of voters would have  ...... saying 37 years in every other sentence or begging for a 17 month try out as senator isn't the way to win an election ... ideas and a record of results are  .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[sigh] More sour grapes from the wingnuts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

[sigh] More sour grapes from the wingnuts.

You must be sleeping well these days.

Yah, is sux that so many of our fellow citizens are only interested in handouts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]

The last fresh idea Grandpa Ed Markey had was in 1974...

Whitey Bulger is smiling, his Democratic Irish Mafia Gang is still in charge of the crooked Bay State.

Your opinion doesn't count .... you live in the D.C. area

[/QUOTE]

Did you really just say that?

[/QUOTE]

Yes I did ....... he doesn't live in our state .... he lives in the D.C. ..... the boy can worry about his own state not ours ...... you have some gripes against Markey and I respect ( I might not agree with it) your opinion because you have a dog in the fight ....

[/QUOTE]

Just pointing out that one of the major gripes (not mine) about Markey is that HE lives in Maryland, comes here every 2 years to run for something

[/QUOTE]

That doesn't matter to the electorate, sadly.  They are low-information voters, and do what the party bosses tell them, under fear that the food pellet won't drop down the chute.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Greg I believe in term limits for politicians and judges but until there is term limits I'm voting for the person who imo will do the best job ....... now if Gomez gave the slightest impression that he was the up to the task of being a U.S.senator where I might not have voted for him  a majority of voters would have  ...... saying 37 years in every other sentence or begging for a 17 month try out as senator isn't the way to win an election ... ideas and a record of results are  .

Markey is a good Dem soldier, a company man for the party which is my he was annoited by the DNC as they pulled out all stops and pushed aside Lynch, to ensure his ascension to Senator.

Gomez should have resonated with the electorate; especially the indies in the middle, but the DNC outspent Gomez 3 to 1 and was able to define him before he could define himself.  Sis I'm actually surprised that Gomez didn't deserve a look from you.  He's a moderate thinking republican, and he has a perfect life story; legal first generation immigrant, strong values, premier military background, proven leadership, followed by self made success in the private sector.

The problem with Mass is that the Dems are so enterenched and the unions GOTV machine is so well oiled that it is virtually impossible for a republican and even a blue dog dem like Lynch to get elected in this state.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"Where was the state's most popular neo-con, Brown? He stayed away, either knowing it was a losing cause"

He was smart enough to realize his election to the Senate in this state was an anomaly and therefore is a losing cause to run as Repub for Senate in MA. The Repub party know it too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Was "47" the issue ... for Ted Kennedy?   He died (okay) but he worked, fought, and had zeal even as he had one foot in the grave, after 47 years in office.   

He remained connected to MA in a way that very few senators do during a term of that length -- and certainly more than congressman Markey did.  

Brown ran to fill Kennedy's seat after 47 years; the Kennedy haters (in general) and other voters who were hungry for change, came out for that election; many of them saw it as a  golden opportunity after Kennedy's reign.   Instead of taking the election for granted, they came out in droves and made Coakley a loser of the first order.

Comparing Brown and Gomez is more a kneejerk reaction than one that makes any sense.   Like him or hate him, Brown had been in the public eye, had run for local and state office various and numerous times, had a public persona, and therefore, some "street creds" to his name; overall, he was in the right place at the right time, with a unique, timely, well-orchestrated strategy, and a few catchy tag lines.  Any attempt to imitate his style or how he accomplished that win would be impossible (jusk ask Gomez).

John Kerry did a fine job as senator, but wasn't likable and was accused of being out ot touch and disconnected to MA.   Markey will follow in his footsteps just fine.  :)   A year from now we'll know if Markey wants to stay in office or retire, and I hope it's the latter.   GL to him in the meantime.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

If Gomez was such a good candidate why did the national neo-con party all but abandon him?

Where was the state's most popular neo-con, Brown? He stayed away, either knowing it was a losing cause or to protect the brand that he created, the 'everyman' neo-con.

Yes your complaint with Gomez is that he's not an obedient progressive.

From what I understand from speaking with Brown at an event after the primary is that he's provided Gomez behind the scenes assistance and that he was willing to campaign with Gomez if asked.  So Gomez decided to go it alone and tried to create his own image without Brown and virtaully without any national support except for McCain.  As I said the Dems outspent him 3 to 1 and won by 10 points after they rolled in FLOTUS, POTUS, Biden once at Markey's home and once in Worcester.  As I said with all that effort plus the Dem union GOTV machine all they got was +10 points, that is pathetic.

BTW your obsession with neo-con term is so freakin tiring.............

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

"Wait a minute... the neo-con argument all along has been some version of "money equals free speech" and that Citizens United and other rulings are good for the system.

Is it only 'good' if it works to your favor?

Because all I hear is a bunch of bellyaching about being outspent. This is particularly hilarious given the fact that Markey offered the same “People’s Pledge” that Brown/Warren agreed to.

So enough with the 'outspent' canard, it's pathetic, especially from a party who pushes for more money in politics not less."

Yes, how dare anyone point to a factor that helped win the election for Markey!!! You must all keep your mouths shut. Airborne is the only one that gets to say whatever he wants. Everyone else should just keep quiet and give the floor to Airborne. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Can a man not have an opinion on abortion? 

An opinion, yes.

But until they have actually performed one, undergone the operation and/or carried a baby to term, they should stay out of the policy end.  It's really none of their business.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

that is pathetic.

Though not nearly as pathetic as either the overall turnout or your kvetching.

If Gomez had won, you would be proclaiming righteousness, democracy, peoples' voice, yada yada...

Sections
Shortcuts