Congratulations Americans, your capital is not a constitution-free zone: DC handgun ban overturned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Congratulations Americans, your capital is not a constitution-free zone: DC handgun ban overturned

Totally banning a right literally spelled out in the Bill of Rights isn’t going to fly!

US District court, DC: "In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny. Therefore, the Court finds that the District of Columbia’s complete ban on the carrying of handguns in public is unconstitutional."

The nation’s last explicit ban of the right to bear arms has bitten the dust. Obviously, the carrying of handguns for self-defense can be regulated. Exactly how is a topic of severe and serious debate, and courts should enforce constitutional limitations on such regulation should the government opt to regulate. http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/" rel="nofollow">http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Congratulations Americans, your capital is not a constitution-free zone: DC handgun ban overturned

In response to hypertext's comment:

Evidently the "well regulated" part is lost on you.

Does "well regulated" mean "total ban"? It doesn't in my book. "Well regulated" to me means there should be parameters around the ability to carry a weapon. If you meet certain criteria you get to carry. In MA, one of the most strict in regards to gun laws, allows for carrying concealed. If you meet the criteria you get a conceal license. If you don't meet the criteria you don't. That is "well regulated". 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Re: Congratulations Americans, your capital is not a constitution-free zone: DC handgun ban overturned

And those that keep advocating for more guns ... guns everywhere ... remain safely ensconced in the gun-free chambers of the Capitol Bldg .... apparently they don't want to trust their own safety to the same laws that they foist onto everyone else.

They're all a bunch on hypocritical NIMBY's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to high-road's comment:

And those that keep advocating for more guns ... guns everywhere ... remain safely ensconced in the gun-free chambers of the Capitol Bldg .... apparently they don't want to trust their own safety to the same laws that they foist onto everyone else.

"Gun free chambers"? The capital is full of good guys carrying guns....law enforcement.

The capital also includes many politicians who never leave home without an armed guard, but want to deny that right  of self defense to ordinary law abiding citizens...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I don't own a gun but I can handle one and if I was a hunter I would hunt with a bow . I don't care if anyone owns a firearm except for assault weapons all I want are background checks .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I don't own a gun but I can handle one and if I was a hunter I would hunt with a bow . I don't care if anyone owns a firearm except for assault weapons all I want are background checks .

Couldn't agree more. Spot on!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Evidently the "well regulated" part is lost on you.

Does "well regulated" mean "total ban"? It doesn't in my book. "Well regulated" to me means there should be parameters around the ability to carry a weapon. If you meet certain criteria you get to carry. In MA, one of the most strict in regards to gun laws, allows for carrying concealed. If you meet the criteria you get a conceal license. If you don't meet the criteria you don't. That is "well regulated". 

So.....  what does a "militia" mean to you?

Changing the subject now? You were talking about "well regulated". THAT is what I spoke to. You didn't say anything about militia. Militia to me means what the Supreme Court said it means.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"Gun free chambers"? The capital is full of good guys carrying guns....law enforcement.

The capital also includes many politicians who never leave home without an armed guard, but want to deny that right  of self defense to ordinary law abiding citizens...

Why, yes..... law enforcement. What is it about a "well regulated militia" that is lost on you people?

"You people" includes the Supreme Court of the US in its Heller decision:

The Supreme Court held:[44]

(1) The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.
    (a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.
    (b) The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved. Pp. 22–28.
    (c) The Court’s interpretation is confirmed by analogous arms-bearing rights in state constitutions that preceded and immediately followed the Second Amendment....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Why, yes..... law enforcement. What is it about a "well regulated militia" that is lost on you people?

Well regulated militia doesn't mean what you think it means. It is important to uderstand the intentions of those who wrote the amendments.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

That impacts my right to bear arms, how, exactly?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

Well regulated militia doesn't mean what you think it means. It is important to uderstand the intentions of those who wrote the amendments.

Well please enlighten us then.

Read the whole article, but here is the bottom line:

"Thus, the well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free state was a militia that might someday fight against a standing army raised and supported by a tyrannical national government. Obviously, for that reason, the Framers did not say "A Militia well regulated by the Congress, being necessary to the security of a free State" -- because a militia so regulated might not be separate enough from, or free enough from, the national government, in the sense of both physical and operational control, to preserve the "security of a free State."

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from high-road. Show high-road's posts

Ahhhh .... so now you can discern 'intent' from 200+ years ago ... how convenient.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

Didn't the government forces and the common citizen have the same options for weapons when the Constitution was drafted? Presently the government has a weapon that can vaporize your house at the push of a button. Should everyone have such a weapon? Get real.

Who is saying Joe Citizen should have a weapon that can vaporize a house?

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

What is an "Assault weapon" exactly? Surely you mean a rifle like an AK47 or an AR15 right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Ahhhh .... so now you can discern 'intent' from 200+ years ago ... how convenient.

Well, no.  I depend on what those in the legal community have written on the subject, and in decisions, such as Heller, which affirmed that a citizens right to bear arms is an individual right, stands apart from the statement, "a well regulated militia", and that citizens can therefore be armed for all lawful purposes, such as defending their homes.

feel stupid now? You should.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

Didn't the government forces and the common citizen have the same options for weapons when the Constitution was drafted? Presently the government has a weapon that can vaporize your house at the push of a button. Should everyone have such a weapon? Get real.

Who is saying Joe Citizen should have a weapon that can vaporize a house?

Well, if your right to bear arms is based on the ability to stand up to the army of a tyrannical government, it only stands to reason that I should have access to the same weapons.

Like the Devil, you have slightly twisted someone's words, and therefore need correction.  It is not ability, but it is a right to do so.  The outcome is not what determines a right.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts